Chicken-comp games uploaded!

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Michael Straight

unread,
Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98
to

Rob Noyes, if you'd included an e-mail address, I'd be mailing you right
now to say how funny "The Lesson of the Chicken" is.

I won't ruin it by quoting all the great lines here.

Michael Straight hopes he's not breaking the Chicken-comp judging rules.
FLEOEVDETYHOEUPROEONREWMEILECSOFMOERSGTIRVAENRGEEARDSTVHIESBIITBTLHEEPSRIACYK
Ethical Mirth Gas/"I'm chaste alright."/Magic Hitler Hats/"Hath grace limits?"
"Tight camel hairs!"/Chili Hamster Tag/The Gilt Charisma/"I gather this calm."

Mikko P Vuorinen

unread,
Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
to


>Rob Noyes, if you'd included an e-mail address, I'd be mailing you right
>now to say how funny "The Lesson of the Chicken" is.

Well I had some fun moments with it too. It surely deserves some hailing
and praising and such.

--
)))) (((( + Mikko Vuorinen + mvuo...@cc.helsinki.fi
)) OO `oo'((( + Dilbon@IRC&ifMUD + http://www.helsinki.fi/~mvuorine/
6 (_) ( ((( + GSM 050-5859733 +
`____c 8__/((( + + Did you see that?

Magnus Olsson

unread,
Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
to

In article <Pine.A41.3.95L.98061...@login7.isis.unc.edu>,

Michael Straight <stra...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>
>Rob Noyes, if you'd included an e-mail address, I'd be mailing you right
>now to say how funny "The Lesson of the Chicken" is.
>
>I won't ruin it by quoting all the great lines here.

I may be dense or something, but what "great lines"? OK, the
introduction to the game is absolutely hilarious - one of the best
parodies I've seen in this medium. But then I'm just stuck in this
clearing with nothing to do - most objects aren't even recognized by
the parser... Am I missing something, or is this it?

--
Magnus Olsson (m...@df.lth.se, zeb...@pobox.com)
------ http://www.pobox.com/~zebulon ------

Weird Beard

unread,
Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
to

Magnus Olsson wrote in message <6md53g$qs0$1...@bartlet.df.lth.se>...

>I may be dense or something, but what "great lines"? OK, the
>introduction to the game is absolutely hilarious - one of the best
>parodies I've seen in this medium. But then I'm just stuck in this
>clearing with nothing to do - most objects aren't even recognized by
>the parser... Am I missing something, or is this it?


I agree, but not about this game and not for the same reason. Might as well
have disagreed, huh? ;) I'm finding myself wandering what to do quite a bit.
If this was, ,say, a Zarf game I'd have no problem asking but these games
were written purely for fun, and I don't want to criticize them (it could be
just me, also). So could we please have walkthroughs so nobody has to get
embarrased?

Weird Beard
weird...@prodigy.net

Lelah Conrad

unread,
Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
to

On 19 Jun 1998 09:48:00 +0200, m...@bartlet.df.lth.se (Magnus Olsson)
wrote:


>. But then I'm just stuck in this
>clearing with nothing to do - most objects aren't even recognized by
>the parser... Am I missing something, or is this it?

[SPOILER HINT]

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

If you carefully examine everything, you'll find a direction to go.

[MORE EXPLICIT]

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

..
.
.
.

Examine the blood. (The rest should be pretty straightforward.)

Lelah

(whose game has an unmentioned walkthrough if you type that -- I just
assumed everybody did that -- they don't -- and I think it is a super
idea and will always do it in my games so please remember that people
heh)

Jay Goemmer

unread,
Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98
to

"Weird Beard" <WEIRD...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> these games
> were written purely for fun, and I don't want to criticize them (it could be
> just me, also). So could we please have walkthroughs so nobody has to get
> embarrased?

Should one actually *need* a walkthrough for "Pollo y Camino (Chicken
and Road)," type HELP and follow the instructions.

Stupid question, but how many Chicken-Comp participants implemented
on-line walkthroughs? (I've only zipped through a few of the Inform
games).

--Gome


David A. Cornelson

unread,
Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98
to

Jay Goemmer <kill...@die.now.please.com.net.org> wrote in message
6mfgo6$8ku$1...@news01.micron.net...

>"Weird Beard" <WEIRD...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>> just me, also). So could we please have walkthroughs so nobody has to get
>> embarrased?
>
> Stupid question, but how many Chicken-Comp participants implemented
>on-line walkthroughs? (I've only zipped through a few of the Inform
>games).

Hints for 'The X Chicken' by David Cornelson can purchased by sending a
money order for $5.00 in a SASE to:

Chicken Recipes
c/o David Cornelson
3716 N Fremont
Chicago, IL 60613

All proceeds will be donated to helping my brother find a job, which to me,
is the worthiest of all causes.

Jarb

Lelah Conrad

unread,
Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98
to

On 20 Jun 1998 05:19:02 GMT, Jay Goemmer

<kill...@die.now.please.com.net.org> wrote:

> Stupid question, but how many Chicken-Comp participants implemented
>on-line walkthroughs?

Thanks for doing this, Jay. I also implemented the command
"walkthough", though I didn't list it as being there. (I feel
strongly that with the proliferation of IF, good hints and/or
walkthroughs should be provided. I am trying to play as much IF as
possible, and now I just quit on games where I can't get some help
fairly easily. To me it's the equivalent of the answers in the back
of Games or crossword magazines. I don't use them unless I have to,
but I use them immediately when I know I'm not going to succeed.
There's just too much out there to play now, and I'll never finish it
all at this point anyway, even _with_ hints and walkthroughs.)

I'm enjoying playing the chicken comp games -- fun to see what
various folks did with the idea. (My favorite so far, though I
haven't by any means played them all, is David Cornelson's Xfiles
takeoff, probably because it is just so ridiculous. I don't know if
non-IF Mudders will appreciate it as much. Loved its xyzzy response.)


Lelah

Jay Goemmer

unread,
Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98
to

The ravishing and brillian Lelah Conrad (l...@nu-world.com) wrote:


>> Stupid question, but how many Chicken-Comp participants implemented
>> on-line walkthroughs?
>
> Thanks for doing this, Jay. I also implemented the command
> "walkthough", though I didn't list it as being there. (I feel
> strongly that with the proliferation of IF, good hints and/or
> walkthroughs should be provided.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly there. BTW, I implemented the
following synonyms for the command in question, just for good measure:


WALK, WALKTHRU, WALKTHROUGH, WALK THRU, and WALK THROUGH


> I'm enjoying playing the chicken comp games -- fun to see what
>various folks did with the idea. (My favorite so far, though I
>haven't by any means played them all, is David Cornelson's Xfiles
>takeoff, probably because it is just so ridiculous.

It *is* pretty silly, given the premise. "The X Chicken" is kind of a
clunky title, but hey <shrug> . . . It's fun, which is the whole point.

Especially the eighteen-wheeler . . . ;-D

--Gome

Ben

unread,
Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98
to

In article <6mmqsn$nng$1...@news01.micron.net>, Jay Goemmer
<kill...@die.now.please.com.net.org> wrote:

> I have to agree with you wholeheartedly there. BTW, I implemented the
> following synonyms for the command in question, just for good measure:
>
>
> WALK, WALKTHRU, WALKTHROUGH, WALK THRU, and WALK THROUGH

I'd be careful with that, since "walk" or "Walk through" are verbs which
could mean something else, like walk through door or something. I wouldnt
want a walkthrough just popping up out of nowhere - make sure you have
some way to abort it like "Are you sure you want a to spoil the game?" or
something.

-Ben

--
bhi...@san.rr.com
http://members.tripod.com/~tunnels/

Jay Goemmer

unread,
Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98
to

--Sorry, I meant "brilliant." ;-D


l...@nu-world.com (Lelah Conrad) wrote:

> On 20 Jun 1998 05:19:02 GMT, Jay Goemmer

> <kill...@die.now.please.com.net.org> wrote:
>
>> Stupid question, but how many Chicken-Comp participants implemented
>> on-line walkthroughs?
>
> Thanks for doing this, Jay. I also implemented the command
> "walkthough", though I didn't list it as being there.

I got around this by listing a "HELP" command, which gave explicit
instructions on how to activate the walkthrough, so that game wasn't
ruined for the player right off the bat.


--Gome


Lelah Conrad

unread,
Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98
to

On 22 Jun 1998 23:55:03 GMT, Jay Goemmer
<kill...@die.now.please.com.net.org> wrote:

>The ravishing and brillian Lelah Conrad (l...@nu-world.com) wrote:

> --Sorry, I meant "brilliant." ;-D

Whoa luv, spellin' don't matter when the words is so purty!

;-) Lelah

*less spam, fewer flames, more walkthoughs and florid compliments!*

Jay Goemmer

unread,
Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98
to

I don't think I'd want to implement all these options on a larger
"real" game (i.e., one that actually *had* doors ;-D ), but since
"Pollo" was very tiny, I didn't think it would be a big deal.

I appreciate your excellent input, and I'll keep it in mind for future
releases.


--Gome


Jay Goemmer

unread,
Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98
to

l...@nu-world.com (Lelah Conrad) wrote:
>On 22 Jun 1998 23:55:03 GMT, Jay Goemmer
><kill...@die.now.please.com.net.org> wrote:
>
>>The ravishing and brillian Lelah Conrad (l...@nu-world.com) wrote:
>> --Sorry, I meant "brilliant." ;-D
>
> Whoa luv, spellin' don't matter when the words is so purty!
>
> ;-) Lelah

[ersatz French accent, a la Steve Martin] "But of *course*..."


>
>*less spam, fewer flames, more walkthroughs and florid compliments!*

I can see it now, in blazing letters ten miles high . . .
"The Bulwer-Lytton Purple Prose Competition." ;-D


--Gome =8-D


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages