What I thought of the Comp games

Brock Kevin Nambo, MSN Hater Extraordinaire

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98
to bad...@innocent.com

Okay oh boy oh woo... I've been reading these reviews via DejaNews and
thought 'you people have it all wrong.' Well, not really. Anyway, I
thought I would share what I thought of the games I played (especially
those I see most of you disagreed with.) Forgive any formatting
wierdness; this is being written with DejaNews, and my browser is Lynx.
You can do the math there... E-MAILBOX: This game was amazingly good.
All it needs is AOL's "You've got mail!" sound file placed at strategic
intervals. :) Leaves: Didn't catch my interest. Down: Good. I thought
until just recently it was written by that other Hugo programmer until,
ah, last week, when I saw Kent Tessman plastered all over it. Dunno what
I was thinking there.. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Edifice: This game got 9,
maybe 10 out of ten for that language puzzle (78 if you just count that
one ;) Really, it was very very fun... I always wanted to have a friend
named Rock. Legacy: I looked at it after Comp was over and thought it
looked pretty neat; quit after the first crash (walking into a closed
closet door) because FD assures us it's "Very Buggy." Mimesis: VERY
good, except I would have totally necessary things in my inventory
appearing without notice... So I'm like "AAAH what do I do?" and it says
"DUH, take inventory!"... I got most of it too. ;) Pintown: Liked what I
saw of it, although "turn car on" doesn't work, when "turn ignition"
does. Bad synonym, or cultural difference? BTW: "Hey presto!" LOL :)
Pizza: uh... Symetry: I didn't even notice the name was misspelled.
The game is really scary (which I believe is the intent), all the more so
because of the 'errors'--You get the feeling that the story is JUST SO
SCARY because even the guy telling it can't get it right! ;) (Actually,
nothing is scarier than horror where you're left confused and helpless.
Rybread Celsius is a BONA FIDE CERTIFIED GENIUS and I can't believe I
just said that.) Spring: Enjoyable, but had to resort to walkthrough.
Still, very well done, 'specially Bob. :) Sylenius Mysterium: If nobody
had told me about the realtime whatever that is at the end of it, I would
like it even more. I never got to that part, but the game's ATMOSPHERE is
totally AMAZING. Kudos! Town Dragon: I liked it, even though it had
all the no-nos to it. 75 (or whatever) turns is NOTHING to somebody like
me who needs lots of time to explore ... I had to turn to the walkthrough
because there were whole areas of the game I had no clue existed.. But I
did like it. :) Tempest: Like every one of Graham Nelson's games, I
got stuck right at the very beginning. (Well, maybe not the examples in
the DM, but Jigsaw (the prologue) and Curses (the VERY FIRST ROOM) had me
beat... Anyway, after looking at a couple of locations and trying to
unbatten hatches, I gave up. Aardvarkbarf: Uh, ? Babel: I didn't see
anything special about this one. But then I didn't get very far. So, if
there is a wonderful turning point where the game turns interesting, let
me know where it is. ;) Frenetic Five: Got stuck right away. :\ Virtua
Tech: It seemed a little obtuse to me (I think it's what other people
have mentioned about "puzzles are only puzzles in IF form--if this was
really you, bing bang boom.." Didn't play too much of it. Zero Sum
Game: Some of the actions seemed pretty hard to reverse, and I'm not
really a big fan of murdering innocent NPC's. Ah well, taht's just me I
guess. Okay, well, those are all the games I played, very concisely
given, and incoherently too.. I don't know if there's a sort of MENTAL
PROBLEM with me that makes me like the games the most influential of you
hated, but well, taht's life I guess. Brock Kevin Nambo
<bad...@innocent.com> http://come.to/brocks.place -->AND, I have no 'net
access of my own for now :(

Joe Mason

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In article <884205918...@dejanews.com>,

Brock Kevin Nambo, MSN Hater Extraordinaire <bad...@innocent.com> wrote:
>SCARY because even the guy telling it can't get it right! ;) (Actually,
>nothing is scarier than horror where you're left confused and helpless.
>Rybread Celsius is a BONA FIDE CERTIFIED GENIUS and I can't believe I
>just said that.) Spring: Enjoyable, but had to resort to walkthrough.

Both Symetry and Rippled Flesh certainly had an atmosphere unlike anything else
I've ever seen in IF - I certainly hope that atmosphere doesn't vanish any time
soon...

Joe