Curses: A Plea for Help

Rick Igou

May 28, 1993, 11:06:18 AM5/28/93

(I inadvertently posted this originally to rec.arts.int-fiction. . . )

After a week or so of satisfying play in Graham Nelson's challenging
world of Curses, I've been stopped, cold, at 203 points.

Please help me, if you will, by either post or e-mail. Subtle hints and
gentle nudges only, _please_, as I much prefer to figure things out myself.

Thanks.

-----
rick (rick...@launchpad.unc.edu)

************************SERIOUS SPOILERS FOLLOW***************************

1. I've killed the kraken with the flash from the Pharos, but am killed
and resurrected, myself, only to find Andromeda still chained. Nor am I
able to cross the sacred ground to reach the Temple of Zeus, or attain the
ekmek in the taverna. My guess is that these three are related somehow,
but how? Is there some alternative way to save Andromeda?? Should I save her
at all??? Do I need more than just the flash to do the job????

2. I've uncovered the garden crypt and mural, but nothing further. The
mosaic is likewise inert. What's up? Do I need something else to get
further with (either of) these two--something from ancient Greece, perhaps?

3. The demon, in answer to a question about the Tarot, implies that Madame
Sosostris may respond differently to a stacked deck, but, so far, I've not
been able to get her to say more than "you're not the one" or words to
that effect. Should I keep trying different combinations of cards?

I have the rods of Luck, Returning, Stalking, Fire, Husbandry and
Infinity, and I calculate that I need at least two more (since Infinity is
originally the "Eight of Wands" and will not fit any hole in the lemniscus
arc). I have not, however, picked up the mascot yet in this particular game.

Thanks again for your help.

-----
rick (rick...@launchpad.unc.edu)

--
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

Mr. Subliminal

May 29, 1993, 3:53:55 PM5/29/93
--Spoilers--

In proclamation <1u59pa$2...@samba.oit.unc.edu>,
Rick...@launchpad.unc.edu (Rick Igou) doth speak:

->1. I've killed the kraken with the flash from the Pharos, but am killed
->and resurrected, myself, only to find Andromeda still chained. Nor am I
->able to cross the sacred ground to reach the Temple of Zeus, or attain the
->ekmek in the taverna. My guess is that these three are related somehow,
->but how? Is there some alternative way to save Andromeda?? Should I save her
->at all??? Do I need more than just the flash to do the job????

Rescuing Andromeda is for bonus points only, it is not needed to solve the
game. Yes, that's what the flash is for.

You have to get a coin from the temple of zeus to buy the ekmek. To do that
you need to use the rod of luck. To use the rod of luck you have to change
the nature of the universe.

->
->
->2. I've uncovered the garden crypt and mural, but nothing further. The
->mosaic is likewise inert. What's up? Do I need something else to get
->further with (either of) these two--something from ancient Greece, perhaps?
->

You need the rod of bronzing to enter the crypt, it does more than give you a
tan you know! 8+)

->
->3. The demon, in answer to a question about the Tarot, implies that Madame
->Sosostris may respond differently to a stacked deck, but, so far, I've not
->been able to get her to say more than "you're not the one" or words to
->that effect. Should I keep trying different combinations of cards?
->

Yes.

->
->I have the rods of Luck, Returning, Stalking, Fire, Husbandry and
->Infinity, and I calculate that I need at least two more (since Infinity is
->originally the "Eight of Wands" and will not fit any hole in the lemniscus
->arc). I have not, however, picked up the mascot yet in this particular game.

You are missing the rod of sacrifice and the rod of bronzing.

->
->rick (rick...@launchpad.unc.edu)
->

Byron...
| __ /// "Byron Montgomerie" Internet: by...@odie.cs.mun.ca __ /// |
| \\\/// "Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? \\\/// |
| \XX/ How she said that we would meet again, \XX/ |
| Amiga some sunny day..." -- Pink Floyd -- Amiga |