Mac+ Problem with 3.0

Michael Conte

Sep 24, 1990, 3:08:30 AM9/24/90
Hello all. I downloaded Nethack 3.0 from sumex-aim and played it
successfully on a Mac II and a Mac SE. When I tried to play it at
home on my Mac Plus, though, I got the message:

"A mysterious force prevents you from going down."

Anyone know what's wrong with my system (or me)?

----------
Michael Conte
to...@portia.stanford.edu
"Gosh, what a boring .sig!"

--
----------
Michael Conte

David Hairston

Sep 24, 1990, 1:04:27 PM9/24/90
[to...@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Conte) writes:]
[] Hello all. I downloaded Nethack 3.0 from sumex-aim and played it

[] successfully on a Mac II and a Mac SE. When I tried to play it at
[] home on my Mac Plus, though, I got the message:
[]
[] "A mysterious force prevents you from going down."
[]
[] Anyone know what's wrong with my system (or me)?

lately in this newsgroup there have been posts about getting nethack
via anonymous FTP or via e-mail. apparently the subject lines should
read: NetHack 3.0i PL9 via ... (note: the version numbers are significant)

the nethack at sumex is pl7 (altho identified as pl6).

your problem is a lack of disk space needed to create the next level.
in the pl9 docs it recommends play from a hard disk (you can't complete
a game from floppies).

anonymous ftp: linc.cis.upenn.edu; cd pub/NH3.0/mac; mget *; quit
and so on ...

(note: text file transfer is only possible for the mac and source files)

-dave-
hair...@henry.ece.cmu.edu

John Dead-Falcon

Sep 24, 1990, 5:03:23 PM9/24/90
I like Nethack and have downloaded it for the PC and MAC. As previously stated
the MAC version needs at least 1 MB to play. None of my disks hold that (of
course) so how can I run this bear off floppies??

(If even I can run it off floppies...)

Reply e-mail...please.

Thanks in advance,

John.

God of Gods

Sep 24, 1990, 9:40:38 PM9/24/90
In article <1990Sep24....@portia.Stanford.EDU> to...@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Conte) writes:
> Hello all. I downloaded Nethack 3.0 from sumex-aim and played it
> successfully on a Mac II and a Mac SE. When I tried to play it at
> home on my Mac Plus, though, I got the message:
>
> "A mysterious force prevents you from going down."
>
> Anyone know what's wrong with my system (or me)?

Yeah, a friend of mine had exactly the same problem, and it turned out that one
of the icons was locked (sorry I can't remember which one). If you go Get Info
on each icon, and just check that each one is unlocked you should get rid of
this problem. - It might be in the system too, so check that as well.