katrain training question

Jens-Olaf Lindermann

Aug 17, 2022, 12:02:34 PM8/17/22

Hello everyone,

I (advanced beginner) am training with katrain/katago engine and have a
question about training with the software.

In the moment training is with a calibrated rank of 15k and a handicap
of 9 and I am winning quite easily. Therefore I want to train on a
higher difficulty level. My question: Is it better to reduce the
handicap or to raise the kyu rank of the engine?

Hope, one can help me.

--
PGP-Key available
8923 F718 CFC1 9490 6711 0D3B 17A5 0634 6B71 A0DF

Bernhard Kraft

Aug 28, 2022, 10:12:00 PM8/28/22
Am 17.08.2022 um 18:02 schrieb Jens-Olaf Lindermann:
> training is with a calibrated rank of 15k and a handicap of 9 and I am
> winning quite easily. Therefore I want to train on a higher difficulty
> level.  My question: Is it better to reduce the handicap or to raise the
> kyu rank of the engine?
It is better to raise the kyu rank of the engine. Computer engines are
are making strange decicions, when they are downranked. You are learning
more against strong opponents anyway.

Jens-Olaf Lindermann

Aug 29, 2022, 5:54:28 AM8/29/22

> Computer engines are
> are making strange decicions, when they are downranked. You are learning
> more against strong opponents anyway.

I have experienced this strange behaviour! Thank you for your answer,
Bernhard.

sal pl