Terrence's Road Map to 17k

1 view

Terrence Brannon

Oct 5, 2008, 8:02:42 AM10/5/08
Wow, just 1.5 months ago (on 8/18/08), I decided to return to Go and
really make some levels in it this time. Here are the things I found
essential in going from 30k? to 17k in 6 weeks:

* igowin - this free program is the very best way to get started in
Go. You will make certain mistakes over and over until you get it
right and can finally beat the computer.

* Many Faces - you owe David Fotland. He gives you the best Go program
to start your Go career for free. So now it's time to get his
professional program and buy it. It is great for analyzing games after
the fact and the AI engine gives good reasons for most moves.

* #go - the fastest way to get feedback on your games is the realtime
chat channel. the go teaching ladder is slow.. by the time you get
back your games from them, you will have improved manyfold if you just
use the chat channel
http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoOnFreenodeIRC

* KGS - the Kiseido Go Server is the best place for beginners. The
Automatch feature makes it easy to find people with your rating. On
IGS, it is much harder to get a well-matched game.

* Shygost - the 2nd reason you need to be on KGS is that Shygost gives
free lectures on Go every Friday. They say he is the best teacher for
the kyu ranks - http://senseis.xmp.net/?Shygost

* Kerwin's Road Map for Beginners - you need to read these 10 articles
closely.

What you dont need:
Dont go study millions of L&D problems

What you will learn:
- Kerwin's material
- 3-3 invasions (get Chris Ball in #go to help on this)
- some basic fuseki
- the ability to keep stones connecting without directly connecting
them (the various hops)
- Shygosts algorithm for choosing a move
- and much much more!

-

Oct 5, 2008, 1:34:54 PM10/5/08

Terrence Brannon <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * KGS - the Kiseido Go Server is the best place for beginners.
> The Automatch feature makes it easy to find people with your
> rating. On IGS, it is much harder to get a well-matched game.

Well, yes, it's probably the best "Road Map to 17k." While
beginners all hang out with each other they'll be fairly certain
of achieving that 17k indefinitely. As for the "best place" with
some additional experience perhaps you will find many other
"best places" which do not involve cyberspace or impressively
false dilemmas among only two choices. Someday you might
even stand beside Go Masters and imagine for just a moment
that you're in the "best place" over there.

- regards
- jb

O.J. Simpson Guilty of all Charges in Nevada
http://www.wvwnews.net/story.php?id=5739

Terrence Brannon

Oct 23, 2008, 6:13:01 AM10/23/08
On Oct 5, 8:02 am, Terrence Brannon <metap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Kerwin'sRoadMapfor Beginners - you need to read these 10 articles
> closely.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.go/browse_thread/thread/f5839d09fe60ca93/20f4e7ba0acf889a?lnk=gst&q=road+map+#20f4e7ba0acf889a

and here are the URLs.

-

Oct 23, 2008, 3:29:42 PM10/23/08

"Terrence Brannon" <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... you need to read these 10 articles closely.

A few days ago you claimed to be 15k. Why are
you now returning back onto the "Road Map to 17k" ?

- regards
- jb

French Riot Police Clear Calais Invader Camps
http://www.wvwnews.net/story.php?id=5842

It Wasn't Me!!!

Oct 23, 2008, 9:45:09 PM10/23/08
"-" <jazze...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Terrence Brannon" <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... you need to read these 10 articles closely.
>

> A few days ago you claimed to be 15k. Why are
> you now returning back onto the "Road Map to 17k" ?

There is hidden truth in Kerwin's Road Map only few knew what the "master"
himself didn't disclose - the concealed last step said begin from the first
again if no progress was made.

Terrence Brannon

Oct 24, 2008, 3:11:15 AM10/24/08
On Oct 23, 3:29 pm, jazzerci...@hotmail.com (-) wrote:

> "Terrence Brannon" <metap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... you need to read these 10 articles closely.
>
>           A few days ago you claimed to be 15k.

Yes, I did. I was then. And still am now. Check the stats for
'metaperl' on KGS.

> Why are
>      you now returning back onto the "Road Map to 17k" ?

Because I referred someone to the article and realized that the
article did not link them to Kerwin's articles.