campaign world survey

Dr. Rich Staats

Jul 8, 2004, 10:01:07 AM7/8/04
My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).

I've incorporated both into my own gaming world highlighted at:

http://www.geocities.com/dr_games/staats2.htm

In service,

Rich

Knight37

Jul 8, 2004, 1:45:16 PM7/8/04
sta...@alum.mit.edu (Dr. Rich Staats) wrote in

> My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
> Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
> Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).

My favorite published settings are (pretty much in this order):

World of Darkness (Vampire: The Masquerade in particular)
Planescape (D&D setting)
Shadowrun
Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play
Call of Cthulhu
Cyberpunk 2020
Gamma World

must... stop... list. I like many other RPG settings but those have been
my favorites. I have "issues" with many of those game RULES but the
worlds themselves were great.

> I've incorporated both into my own gaming world highlighted at:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/dr_games/staats2.htm

I will look at your site, after brief look it looks like you have a lot
of stuff on there.

Knight37

Jon Purvis

Jul 8, 2004, 11:47:52 PM7/8/04
Dr. Rich Staats wrote:
> My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
> Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
> Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).

Mine (in order) would be:

1. Harn (I can't imagine doing an FRP anywhere else)
2. Traveller (Spinward Marches, Fifth Frontier War era)
3. Battletech (pre clans only)
4. Middle Earth

If a comprehensive writeup of the following fiction worlds were ever published, I'd consider running
a campaign in them. I'd prefer it to systemless, but would consider something based on Hero.

1. Thieve's World, edited by Robert Asprin
2. Deryni, by Katherine Kurtz
3. Many-Colored Land / Galactic Milieu, by Julian May

Jon

Mitch Williams

Jul 8, 2004, 11:58:47 PM7/8/04

"Jon Purvis" <jrpu...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> 2. Deryni, by Katherine Kurtz

Grey Ghost is about to bring this out for Fudge. It is in post production
now and should be out this year.

>I'd prefer it to systemless

Fudge is almost 'systemless' and can be converted to anything else with
little effort. I tend to convert everything else into Fudge.

My group played a lot of Bushido and we really like that world. Samurai
based fantasy that allowed for magic users and clerics. It wasn't quite the
standard fantasy world but it was close enough to jump right in and then
enjoy the differences.

Mitch

Dirk Collins

Jul 9, 2004, 12:11:08 AM7/9/04
Jon Purvis wrote:

> If a comprehensive writeup of the following fiction worlds were ever
> published, I'd consider running a campaign in them. I'd prefer it to
> systemless, but would consider something based on Hero.
>
> 1. Thieve's World, edited by Robert Asprin
> 2. Deryni, by Katherine Kurtz
> 3. Many-Colored Land / Galactic Milieu, by Julian May

Two out of three isn't bad...

Thieve's World has already been done, as a standalone RPG IIRC,
and is now out of print, however still available from time-to-time
on Ebay and at major gaming auctions. (Saw one sold at Origins
recently.)

There is a Deryni campaign book written for Fudge, I think in
print, and available from Grey Ghost Press. It should be a snap to
convert what with the D&D stat mods converting to Fudge attribute
mods the way that they do.

Don't know about Julian May, however will see about acquiring
books published by him to read.

Re,
Dirk

sNOm...@sonic.net

Jul 9, 2004, 4:16:37 AM7/9/04
In rec.games.frp.misc Dirk Collins <dirk.c...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Don't know about Julian May, however will see about acquiring
> books published by him to read.

"Her" (FWIW & all that). "Saga of Pliocene Exile" -- 4 books, with
the 1st book titled "The Many-Colored Land." There's also some
prequel books out there - Intervention, etc. Start with the "Saga"
though!

It'd make a great RPG setting. If you don't mind moderate spoilers
to the novel, see
http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=326

--

Steve Saunders
to de-spam me, de-capitalize me

Rupert Boleyn

Jul 9, 2004, 7:40:47 AM7/9/04
On 8 Jul 2004 07:01:07 -0700, sta...@alum.mit.edu (Dr. Rich Staats)
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
> Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
> Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).

My favourite published worlds would be (in no particular order):

Traveller's, especially the New Era.
ICE's Shadow World
The Glorantha of RQ2
Jorune

--
Rupert Boleyn <rbo...@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Hong Ooi

Jul 9, 2004, 7:57:43 AM7/9/04
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:16:37 GMT, sNOm...@sonic.net wrote:

>In rec.games.frp.misc Dirk Collins <dirk.c...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Don't know about Julian May, however will see about acquiring
>> books published by him to read.
>
>"Her" (FWIW & all that).

She really should have stuck with a girl's name. After all, you never see
people like Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman getting grief, do you?

--
Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
ho...@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net

Hong Ooi

Jul 9, 2004, 7:58:37 AM7/9/04
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:40:47 +1200, Rupert Boleyn <rbo...@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

>On 8 Jul 2004 07:01:07 -0700, sta...@alum.mit.edu (Dr. Rich Staats)
>carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
>> Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
>> Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).
>
>My favourite published worlds would be (in no particular order):
>
>Traveller's, especially the New Era.
>ICE's Shadow World
>The Glorantha of RQ2
>Jorune

I like Ultima's Britannia. :)

mcv

Jul 9, 2004, 7:54:55 AM7/9/04
In rec.games.frp.misc Dr. Rich Staats <sta...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
> Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
> Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).

1. Warhammer FRP
2. Traveller (I'm most familiar with the GURPS version)

mcv.

Torben Ægidius Mogensen

Jul 9, 2004, 7:57:07 AM7/9/04
Hong Ooi <ho...@zipworld.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:16:37 GMT, sNOm...@sonic.net wrote:
>
> >In rec.games.frp.misc Dirk Collins <dirk.c...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Don't know about Julian May, however will see about acquiring
> >> books published by him to read.
> >
> >"Her" (FWIW & all that).
>
> She really should have stuck with a girl's name. After all, you never see
> people like Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman getting grief, do you?

"Julian" is a girl's name, as well as a boy's name. There are other
examples of similarly androgynous names (though some of these are
girl's names in some countries and boy's names in others): Jan, Kim,
Leslie, Dana, Jean, Andrea, Bo, Sasha, Gert, and many more.

I don't believe Julian May is a pseudonym or anything like that.

Torben

Sherm Pendley

Jul 9, 2004, 8:30:30 AM7/9/04
Hong Ooi wrote:

> She really should have stuck with a girl's name. After all, you never see
> people like Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman getting grief, do you?

I would imagine that yes, Tracy Hickman does indeed get quite a bit of grief
over *his* name. ;-)

sherm--

Gary Miles

Jul 9, 2004, 5:10:16 AM7/9/04
Jon Purvis wrote:

> If a comprehensive writeup of the following fiction worlds were ever published, I'd consider running

SNIP

> 1. Thieve's World, edited by Robert Asprin

Check Ebay or the used-game bin at game shops. In the
early/mid-eighty's, Chaosium published a Thieve's world boxed set (and 1
or 2 supplements) that included stats for Runequest, AD&D, Traveller,
and 3 or 4 other systems that escape me right now (my copy is in the
storeroom right now).

Gary

Dr. Rich Staats

Jul 9, 2004, 11:00:15 AM7/9/04
Knight37 <knig...@email.com> wrote in message news:<Xns952081BF0...@130.133.1.4>...

> must... stop... list.

LoL

Indeed! I just got back from Origins and *could* have mortgaged the
house for all the things that I *wanted* to purchase.

"So many worlds, so many games, so little time, such things to be."
(My apologies to TS Elliot ;-) )

> > I've incorporated both into my own gaming world highlighted at:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/dr_games/staats2.htm
>
> I will look at your site, after brief look it looks like you have a lot
> of stuff on there.

Great! Please let me know your thoughts on the site. Toward the end
of August, it looks like I would have time to police it up a bit.

In service,

Rich

http://www.geocities.com/dr_games/

Peter Knutsen

Jul 9, 2004, 12:30:46 PM7/9/04

sNOm...@sonic.net wrote:
> In rec.games.frp.misc Dirk Collins <dirk.c...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>Don't know about Julian May, however will see about acquiring
>>books published by him to read.
>
> "Her" (FWIW & all that). "Saga of Pliocene Exile" -- 4 books, with
> the 1st book titled "The Many-Colored Land." There's also some
> prequel books out there - Intervention, etc. Start with the "Saga"
> though!

Yes, it's *much* easier to get into than the prequels.

> It'd make a great RPG setting. If you don't mind moderate spoilers
> to the novel, see
> http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=326

*Do* mind moderate spoilers! Read the saga before reading the
Pyramid article.

--
Peter Knutsen

Michael Cule

Jul 9, 2004, 1:17:56 PM7/9/04
In message <IzoHc.21697$mY2....@fe1.texas.rr.com>, Jon Purvis
<jrpu...@austin.rr.com> writes

>1. Thieve's World, edited by Robert Asprin

Ummm, this may be before your time but this was done.... In fact it was
done at the same time as the first stories came out and revised a couple
of times since.

>2. Deryni, by Katherine Kurtz

There's a FUDGE adaptation on the way. Real Soon Now.

--
Michael Cule

Message has been deleted

Warren Okuma

Jul 9, 2004, 9:44:15 PM7/9/04

"Dr. Rich Staats" <sta...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> [...]

1) Transhuman Space.
2) Cidri.
3) Gurps, WW2.
4) Greyhawk. (Yeah, I know...)
5) Gurps Diskworld.

DM70

Jul 10, 2004, 9:17:10 AM7/10/04

"Dr. Rich Staats" <sta...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> My favorite "published" world is a toss-up between Glorantha (Greg
> Stafford's world that was the original setting for RuneQuest) and
> Zhalindor (published by the folks at TS magazine back in the mid-80s).

I haven't used too many stock published worlds extensively, but my favorites
are:

1. Midnight (current campaign)
2. Slaine (haven't played it yet, but it looks very cool)
3. The Young Kingdoms (Michael Moorcock's world from the Elric novels and
available in the Dragon Lords of Melnibone product from Chaosium)
4. Greyhawk (nostalgia)

DM

Grant Anderson

Jul 10, 2004, 5:16:38 PM7/10/04
"Peter Knutsen" <pe...@knutsen.dk> wrote in message

> sNOm...@sonic.net wrote:
> > In rec.games.frp.misc Dirk Collins <dirk.c...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>Don't know about Julian May, however will see about acquiring
> >>books published by him to read.
> >
> > "Her" (FWIW & all that). "Saga of Pliocene Exile" -- 4 books, with
> > the 1st book titled "The Many-Colored Land." There's also some
> > prequel books out there - Intervention, etc. Start with the "Saga"
> > though!
>
> Yes, it's *much* easier to get into than the prequels.

Heh. I started with Intervention, liked it and read the Saga. At this
point, Jack the Bodiless was just a glint in May's pen, so I was delighted a
few years later to see a new one on the shelf. (I ended up getting the
Milieu trilogy in hardcover, because waiting for paperback took too long)

Cheers,
Grant

Larry D. Hols

Jul 10, 2004, 10:05:00 PM7/10/04
Hallo,

> If a comprehensive writeup of the following fiction worlds were ever
> published, I'd consider running
> a campaign in them. I'd prefer it to systemless, but would consider
> something based on Hero.
>

> 2. Deryni, by Katherine Kurtz

Ann Dupuis at Grey Ghost Games is working with Katherine to produce
both a Dernyi RPG (using Fudge rules) and an _Atlas of the Eleven
Kingdoms_.

Larry

Alexander Case

Jul 11, 2004, 10:55:46 AM7/11/04
Dr. Rich Staats wrote:

Alright, favorite settings - In No Particular Order

(Game)
1) Feng Shui
2) Shadowrun.
3) Silver Age Sentinels
4) Star Wars
5) The Slayers

(Fiction - not a game yet)
1) Schlock Mercenary (www.schlockmercenary.com)
2) HonorVerse (yes, I know that a Honorverse game is being worked on,
using the Traveller d20 rules, so this still counts).
3) The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
4) Top Cow-verse (Witchblade, Darkness, etc.)
5) Sluggy Freelance.
--
"Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons?"
-John Travolta in "Broken Arrow"