How the Drow came to be

RJH

Jul 16, 2004, 2:00:02 PM7/16/04
Tired, and suffering from another hangover, our intrepid author is
fighting a case of writer's block. He has a 3pm deadline for wrapping up
his article on evil elves, and he can't for the life of him come up with
a worthy race name. Piled upon his messy desk are stacks of notes, worn
books, broken toys, dice, unpainted lead figures, dried up coffee cups,
and the assorted detritus of the office worker. The place hasn't been
dusted or vacuumed in a year. Cough, cough... 422nd plane of office hell.

His boss has dogged him for days to get this project sewn up and
shipped. The females are drawn from real life, his boss' life in fact.
Bodacious bitchtrixes from the bowels of hell. The guys, well they're
boot-licking, whipped, anti-hero types with a total case of back office
politics. Bwahahahaha...

Damn, what to do, what to do. He's got the elven city names nailed, or
at least they sounded good after an even 10 pints. Or was that eleven?
But the race name... hmm...

So our author reaches into his mental bag of tricks and comes up with
the olde reverse a word method. Hmm... Sehctib? Nah, can't even pronouce
it. Damn boss, why does he have to play golf at 3pm anyway? Golf...
Flogs? Umm, close but too obvious. A word, a word, word...

Word? Drow?

Heeeyyyyyyy...

...and so our hero once again wins the day... or at least meets the
deadline. :-)

--
Bob

sNOm...@sonic.net

Jul 16, 2004, 5:18:58 PM7/16/04
Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, RJH wrote:

> Word? Drow?

> Heeeyyyyyyy...

<SNICKER>
Nice!

Erm... you *do* know, I hope, that the *word* at least is derived
from N.European myths. No real resemblance to the "Drow" of D&D,
but the *name* isn't actually invented.

D&D is infamous for swiping a name and a detail or two, and using
'em on their own whole-cloth invention.

--

Steve Saunders
to de-spam me, de-capitalize me