Orc's Nest - rude staff

Mike Foster

Aug 23, 2004, 8:29:12 AM8/23/04
I was in the famous, long-lasting Orc's Nest RPG shop in London
recently. I was looking at a book when suddenly one of the staff came
up the stairs behind me, whipped the book from my hands, went back
downstairs and 'confiscated' it behind the counter! He didn't say
anything or even look me in the eye while he did this.

The book was celephane-wrapped and there was a gap that I was peering
into, which obviously he didn't like. Maybe he even thought I was
'the one' who had been peeling open celephane wrappers before (I
wasn't). Even so, I think he was bloody rude!

I must admit that I hate that stupid policy on wrapping all RPGS etc
in celephane. Some of those books cost stupid amounts of money (Ł17
for 88 pages, anyone?) plus I'm always getting caught out, like when I
bought the big new Champions rulebook recently and only found out when
I opened it that I also need the Hero rulebook (another Ł30) to play
it.

Incidentally, I did buy the wrapped book that was 'confiscated' from
me. What a rip-off. It was the 'villain book' for Silver Age
Sentinels and contains only a dozen baddies in it . . . for Ł16.99.
They certainly didn't admit THAT on the back cover. Also, I note that
Orc's Nest had not put any receipt in the bag, so I can't return it.

I fonly remember Orc's Nest for when I was a kid (I'm now 29), but
can't they sort out their act?