Prefered supplements?

news.verizon.net

Jun 24, 2004, 5:04:30 AM6/24/04
Hi-ho, all!

Been awhile since I've been on the newgroups. Pray forgive me for not
lurking very long before asking my questions, but...

I read some discussion on a forum regarding what supplements people want. To
satisy my own curiosity, I present the following wholly unscientific survey:

What sorts of supplements do you prefer? A equal, high quality and
appropriate to your prefered genre, what would you be most likely to buy,
rating from 1 (Not a glimmer of interest) to 10 (Definite buy)? GMs and
players alike are welcome to answer.

- One multi-session adventure ($10)

- Several mini-adventures, 1-2 sessions each ($10)

- Story arc set - can form basis of a campaign or a good chunk of one ($20)

- World book, with the usual campaign ideas, story hooks, etc. ($30)

- Aspect-of-a-world book -- a specific nation, organization, etc. within a
given setting ($15)

- "Stuff" supplement (Spells, Tech items, new ways to do X) ($20)

- Character (NPC/Pre-figured PC) collection ($10)

Any reasons would be apreciated as well.

Thanks,

- Sean

nunya311

Jun 24, 2004, 6:18:20 AM6/24/04
> rating from 1 (Not a glimmer of interest) to 10 (Definite buy)? GMs and
> players alike are welcome to answer.
>
> - One multi-session adventure ($10)
9 - These can be GREAT if they have the right details. I want maps and such
(a digital copy would be great so I could play over OpenRPG) along with
story lines and NPCs, and maybe even suggested PCs, and not a linear
campaign.

7

> - Story arc set - can form basis of a campaign or a good chunk of one
($20)

7 - So long as its not linear, and has lots of ways to get from section to
section.

> - World book, with the usual campaign ideas, story hooks, etc. ($30)

9 - Depends on the world of course, I'm picky about the ones I like, and
also prefer to have a chance to know a bit about it before I buy it. (Easy
at store, thumb through it, but hard on internet)

> - Aspect-of-a-world book -- a specific nation, organization, etc. within a
> given setting ($15)

8 - Great for the right world, though I like at least some areas to be left
undefined. Things like DnD FR go too far IMO, since players expect it to be
exactly as the FR books say, so if you change it people complain. That sort
of thing takes too much creativity freedom from the GM.

> - "Stuff" supplement (Spells, Tech items, new ways to do X) ($20)

7 - Can be great, especailly if its official material, or has seen some
playtesting.

> - Character (NPC/Pre-figured PC) collection ($10)

1 - I prefer to make my own PCs, premade NPCs are good for a campaign world,
but I expect them with the campaign book. Not going to buy a book of just
NPCs, I'll just make them myself.

> - Sean
1 - Sorry man, just not interested.

Knight37

Jun 24, 2004, 10:31:34 AM6/24/04
"news.verizon.net" <erin....@verizon.net> wrote in

> - One multi-session adventure ($10)

8 - preferably it can be dropped into any campaign setting with minor
tweaking.

> - Several mini-adventures, 1-2 sessions each ($10)

8 - ditto.

> - Story arc set - can form basis of a campaign or a good chunk of one
> ($20)

5 - I generally make up my own overarching plots and campaigns.

> - World book, with the usual campaign ideas, story hooks, etc. ($30)

6 - depends on the world, I might be interested but it would have to be
really top-notch to take me away from my existing worlds.

> - Aspect-of-a-world book -- a specific nation, organization, etc.
> within a given setting ($15)

5 - first I'd want to own World book above, and then I'd only buy these
if it was a part of that world that particularly interested me.

> - "Stuff" supplement (Spells, Tech items, new ways to do X) ($20)

5 to 8 - depends on what "stuff" we are talking about. Well balanced
Spells is a big "yeah", "tech" sounds too much like stuff that doesn't
fit well in the genre so probably not on that, unless you mean magic
items in which case as long as they are balanced I might like, and I have
no clue what you mean about new ways to do X. If you mean new magic
systems or new combat rules, I'm most likely not interested. New feats
would be of interest, again, if well balanced.

> - Character (NPC/Pre-figured PC) collection ($10)

5 to 7 - if these are just cookie cutter characters with not much to go
on, no, but if they are well defined characters with strong motivations
and lots of ways to hook them into adventures or base adventures on them,
then yes, that would be cool.

On almost all of the above, I'd want to be able to read a sample of the
work to determine if I bought it. I can do this in a game store if they
appear there, but if it's online I'd expect some way to be able to get a
sample of the stuff, browse the table of contents, etc.

Knight37

Wayne Shaw

Jun 24, 2004, 12:11:52 PM6/24/04

To be honest I very rarely use anything but your "Stuff"; when I do,
it's likely to be your Aspect-of-a-world, or (only typically in
superhero games) character collections.

First Prophet of Kaos

Jun 25, 2004, 5:55:26 PM6/25/04
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:04:30 GMT, "news.verizon.net"
<erin....@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hi-ho, all!
>
>Been awhile since I've been on the newgroups. Pray forgive me for not
>lurking very long before asking my questions, but...

You should reconfigure your newsreader slightly, unless you *want* to
be known by the name of Verizon's newsserver.

>What sorts of supplements do you prefer? A equal, high quality and
>appropriate to your prefered genre, what would you be most likely to buy,
>rating from 1 (Not a glimmer of interest) to 10 (Definite buy)? GMs and
>players alike are welcome to answer.
>
>- One multi-session adventure ($10)

1. I dislike pre-packaged adventures.

>- Several mini-adventures, 1-2 sessions each ($10)

2 - I'd view such a thing as added-value for idea mining if bundled
with something else, but wouldn't buy it on it's own.

>- Story arc set - can form basis of a campaign or a good chunk of one ($20)

0. Yes, I *do* mean less than 1.

>- World book, with the usual campaign ideas, story hooks, etc. ($30)

9, with your quality caveats.

>- Aspect-of-a-world book -- a specific nation, organization, etc. within a
>given setting ($15)

7 on it's own, 10 if I have and liked the World Book

>- "Stuff" supplement (Spells, Tech items, new ways to do X) ($20)

8, again with the quality caveats.

>- Character (NPC/Pre-figured PC) collection ($10)

2; I like making characters, so the only use I'd have for such a thing
is a baseline to see if the characters I'm making are mechanically
above-par or relatively gimped, and as a tool for seeing what
abilities are assumed at certain levels. Package it with something
good and I'll call it 'added value,' market it on it's own and I'll
pass it up.

--
Never underestimate the ability of others to
misinterpret what you've said.

Brian McGuinness

Jun 29, 2004, 8:50:04 AM6/29/04
"news.verizon.net" <erin....@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<yOwCc.1312$L8....@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>...

> Hi-ho, all!
>
> Been awhile since I've been on the newgroups. Pray forgive me for not
> lurking very long before asking my questions, but...
>
> I read some discussion on a forum regarding what supplements people want. To
> satisy my own curiosity, I present the following wholly unscientific survey:
>
> What sorts of supplements do you prefer? A equal, high quality and
> appropriate to your prefered genre, what would you be most likely to buy,
> rating from 1 (Not a glimmer of interest) to 10 (Definite buy)? GMs and
> players alike are welcome to answer.
>
> - One multi-session adventure ($10)
>
> - Several mini-adventures, 1-2 sessions each ($10)
>
> - Story arc set - can form basis of a campaign or a good chunk of one ($20)

1 - I'd rather come up with my own.

> - World book, with the usual campaign ideas, story hooks, etc. ($30)
>
> - Aspect-of-a-world book -- a specific nation, organization, etc. within a
> given setting ($15)

Varies - If the book dealt with the universe of a particular novel or
series
that I liked then I would probably buy it; otherwise, I would not be
likely
to be interested. What might be more useful would be a book on how to
create
world books based on various works of fiction. For example, I am
collecting
notes on the Perry Rhodan universe for use in a campaign, but I am not
sure
how to deal with civilizations that can alter the fundamental physical
constants of the universe or teleport galaxies between universes.

> - "Stuff" supplement (Spells, Tech items, new ways to do X) ($20)

8 - These are often very useful

> - Character (NPC/Pre-figured PC) collection ($10)

1 - I'd rather create my own.

> Any reasons would be apreciated as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Sean

I generally prefer supplements that tell me how to create characters,
devices, worlds, and so on rather than providing ones that somebody
else has created.
The former are useful in a much wider variety of campaigns. Also, I
feel much
more comfortable with worlds that I create myself or have read about
in detail
in some work of fiction because I am very familiar with them and know
how they
work. If a character does something unexpected, I can handle it much
more easily than if I am using a pregenerated world.

--- Brian

Leon Workman

Jun 29, 2004, 7:02:57 PM6/29/04
"news.verizon.net" <erin....@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<yOwCc.1312$L8....@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>...
> Hi-ho, all!
>
> Been awhile since I've been on the newgroups. Pray forgive me for not
> lurking very long before asking my questions, but...
>
> I read some discussion on a forum regarding what supplements people want. To
> satisy my own curiosity, I present the following wholly unscientific survey:
>
> What sorts of supplements do you prefer? A equal, high quality and
> appropriate to your prefered genre, what would you be most likely to buy,
> rating from 1 (Not a glimmer of interest) to 10 (Definite buy)? GMs and
> players alike are welcome to answer.
>
> - One multi-session adventure ($10)

1. The part of being a DM that I enjoy the most is creating my own
adventures.

> - Several mini-adventures, 1-2 sessions each ($10)

1. See the above answer.

> - Story arc set - can form basis of a campaign or a good chunk of one ($20)

1. I also enjoy creating my own story arcs for my adventures.

> - World book, with the usual campaign ideas, story hooks, etc. ($30)

7/8. Slightly more interesting....something to get the creativity
flowing. It depends how good it is from a quick glance-through,
though.

> - Aspect-of-a-world book -- a specific nation, organization, etc. within a
> given setting ($15)

4. Only if the main world book is good enough, and I plan to drag my
characters through the mud of that location.

> - "Stuff" supplement (Spells, Tech items, new ways to do X) ($20)

1. Never. Anyone can come up with this stuff on their own.

> - Character (NPC/Pre-figured PC) collection ($10)

1. Never. Same as above.

Bradd W. Szonye

Jun 30, 2004, 4:57:24 AM6/30/04
Leon Workman <leonwork...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. The part of being a DM that I enjoy the most is creating my own
> adventures.

Me too, but great DMs steal.
--
Bradd W. Szonye