Re: Best sourcebooks?

kyonshi

Jan 8, 2024, 2:09:01 PMJan 8
On 1/8/2024 3:44 PM, Bonko wrote:

> Discworld, and Cliffhangers are favourites, and the two Wild Cards books were
> great in you were into the Wild Cards universe.

Considering Martin's clout a few years ago, I really wonder how Wild
Cards did not manage to take off the same way as Game of Thrones. There
was the whole rise of Superheroes as a cultural touchstone, and somehow
Wild Cards got the shaft.

I guess the rights are not as easy to handle as Marvel or DC,
considering all the contributors.

Bonko

Jan 11, 2024, 8:32:05 PMJan 11
No problems with rights. They have a consortium that shares the profits and
also controls how the writers can handle the characters created by other
members (which is why Croyd still appears in the books).

The big problem is that the series keeps getting optioned and then languishing
in developement hell until time runs out for developement. Melinda Snodgrass
was even tapped to write the screenplay for that last attempt.

It seems they keep trying to turn this into a series of movies instead of
doing a TV series. The same thing happened with the Sandman comics until
Netflix let Neil Gaiman do what he wanted. (I think Gaiman has written dozens
of treatments in the past).

kyonshi

Jan 12, 2024, 3:49:33 AMJan 12
Just seems like a waste. But well, by now the best idea would be to make
it into a sort of historic series, a bit like Watchmen.

I just think it would be a great setting for some more RPGs as well, but
somehow people don't even realize it exists.

kyonshi

Jan 23, 2024, 3:33:14 AMJan 23
On 1/12/2024 2:32 AM, Bonko wrote:

> No problems with rights. They have a consortium that shares the profits and
> also controls how the writers can handle the characters created by other
> members (which is why Croyd still appears in the books).

I actually haven't followed Wild Cards for a while. I haven't heard
anything about new novels lately. Is it still going?

Bonko

Jan 24, 2024, 6:53:18 AMJan 24
Yes. There's a new book every few years, plus occasional graphic novels with
new stories. They restarted the series after a gap of a few years with new
characters as well as many returning characters.