Domains of Sol Invictus

Patrick Baldwin

Nov 2, 2007, 12:40:35 PM11/2/07
I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically)
for our upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.

Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?

I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
of god.

May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May
multicass with Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.

~P.

Tetsubo

Nov 2, 2007, 3:14:54 PM11/2/07

I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------

BLUP

Jasin Zujovic

Nov 2, 2007, 3:26:30 PM11/2/07
Patrick Baldwin wrote:
> I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
> the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically)
> for our upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>
> Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>
> I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
> of god.

Strength, Protection, Knowledge, Glory, Nobility, Courage come to mind.
War, Liberation, Competition could probably work too.

--
Jasin

Patrick Baldwin

Nov 2, 2007, 4:14:39 PM11/2/07

Those seem pretty reasonable to me; any thoughts
as to what weapon should be favored?

I guess "daiklave" might map to "longsword"?

~P.

Christopher Adams

Nov 2, 2007, 5:23:37 PM11/2/07
Patrick Baldwin wrote:

> Those seem pretty reasonable to me; any thoughts
> as to what weapon should be favored?
>
> I guess "daiklave" might map to "longsword"?

Maybe bastard sword or greatsword, too.

--
Christopher Adams - St Ives, New South Wales
-------

Patrick Baldwin

Nov 2, 2007, 6:31:42 PM11/2/07
In rec.games.frp.dnd Christopher Adams <mhacde...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Patrick Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> Those seem pretty reasonable to me; any thoughts
>> as to what weapon should be favored?
>>
>> I guess "daiklave" might map to "longsword"?

>Maybe bastard sword or greatsword, too.

I thought about bastard sword, but the War domain
would only give it as a two handed weapon, and
plain old daiklaves aren't.

~P.

Tetsubo

Nov 2, 2007, 6:53:41 PM11/2/07
Patrick Baldwin wrote:

Make it a cultural think like Dwarves and waraxes. Just say that Humans
treat bastardswords a Martial weapons rather than Exotic...

Malachias Invictus

Nov 4, 2007, 1:23:24 PM11/4/07

"Tetsubo" <tet...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Patrick Baldwin wrote:
>> I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
>> the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically) for our upcoming
>> Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>>
>> I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
>> of god.
>>
>> May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May multicass with
>> Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
>> filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.
>>
>> ~P.
>>

> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a Sun
> god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

Yes. Sun.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Matt Frisch

Nov 5, 2007, 4:51:55 AM11/5/07
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:14:54 -0400, Tetsubo <tet...@comcast.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Patrick Baldwin wrote:
>> I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
>> the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically)
>> for our upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>>
>> I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
>> of god.
>>
>> May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May
>> multicass with Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
>> filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.
>>
>> ~P.
>>

> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
>Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

The Sun domain has several anti-undead components...notably its granted
domain ability is a 1/day greater turn, where any undead who would normally
be turned are destroyed instead. A couple of the spells on the domain list
also do bonus damage when used against undead.

Justisaur

Nov 5, 2007, 6:04:37 PM11/5/07
On Nov 2, 11:14 am, Tetsubo <tets...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Patrick Baldwin wrote:
> > I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
> > the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically)
> > for our upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>
> > Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>
> > I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
> > of god.
>
> > May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May
> > multicass with Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
> > filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.
>
> > ~P.
>
> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
> Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

On Nov 2, 11:14 am, Tetsubo <tets...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Patrick Baldwin wrote:
> > I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
> > the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically)
> > for our upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>
> > Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>
> > I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
> > of god.
>
> > May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May
> > multicass with Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
> > filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.
>
> > ~P.
>
> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
> Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

Besides Sun, there's Good (holy weapons) & Repose. Protection to
protect against them, Heck even the Healing domain since healing does
damage to them.

- Justisaur

Justisaur

Nov 6, 2007, 8:54:24 AM11/6/07
On Nov 2, 11:14 am, Tetsubo <tets...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Patrick Baldwin wrote:
> > I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
> > the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically)
> > for our upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>
> > Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>
> > I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
> > of god.
>
> > May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May
> > multicass with Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
> > filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.
>
> > ~P.
>
> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
> Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

Besides Sun, there's Good (holy weapons) & Repose

- Justisaur

Jasin Zujovic

Nov 6, 2007, 6:54:31 PM11/6/07
Tetsubo wrote:
>> I'm thinking of building a cleric of Sol Invictus (yes,
>> the Unconquered Sun from the Exalted setting, basically) for our
>> upcoming Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what domains I should be looking at?
>>
>> I mean, Sun, sure, but he's a pretty multi-facted sort
>> of god.
>>
>> May go for Knight of the Raven prestige class. May multicass with
>> Warblade and go for Ruby Knight (after
>> filing off the serial numbers), in case that matters.
>
> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
> Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?

Glory gets +2 to turning checks and +1d6 to turning damage as a domain
power, some anti-undead spells, and some general anti-evil spells,
including bless weapon and holy sword.

Glory + Sun FTW.

--
Jasin

Keith Davies

Nov 10, 2007, 11:45:57 PM11/10/07
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:14:54 -0400, Tetsubo <tet...@comcast.net> scribed
> into the ether:
>
>> I think Healing, Protection or Knowledge might all fit my image of a
>>Sun god... Is there and anti-undead type of domain?
>
> The Sun domain has several anti-undead components...notably its
> granted domain ability is a 1/day greater turn, where any undead who
> would normally be turned are destroyed instead. A couple of the spells
> on the domain list also do bonus damage when used against undead.

Incidentally, I'd probably change the Sun domain's Greater Turn to be
more like the feat (or actually grant the feat). Instead of greater
turn 1/day, have it allow greater turn for double cost.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "History is made by stupid people
keith....@kjdavies.org "Clever people wouldn't even try

Keith Davies

Nov 10, 2007, 11:53:28 PM11/10/07

+2 to turning checks means it lets you turn something 1 HD higher less
than 2/3 of the time (it would be 2/3 of the time, but once you go over
22 on your turn check there's no further effect). I'd rather see this
(or other turn-bump like it) give "+1 to effective cleric level for
turning purposes" or the like. This *always* has an effect, isn't
limited on a good roll (unlike Nat20 + Cha 18 -- +2 more on the check
does nothing), and can let you dust undead one level earlier than you
could have otherwise.

... oh. Huh. Improved Turning feat *does* do this. Have Glory give
'Improved Turning' instead.

If you get +1d6 on the turning damage as well, so much the better.

> Glory + Sun FTW.

Especially, as I mentioned, if you make Sun domain "greater turn for
double cost" instead of "greater turn 1/day". Add in Extra Turning,
Improved Turning (though as I said above, Glory should give this instead
of "+2 to the turn check") and you're getting somewhere. Add also a
feat I remember seeing that gives greater turn damage (I think it was in
_Defenders of the Faith_, I'm sure it's been included in Complete Divine
or Complete Champion -- can't be arsed to look right now) and you'll be
on your way to a nicely-focused turning machine. Get some Radiant
Servant levels and you'll be doing even better.

Now, if we can just make Turn Undead not suck....

Message has been deleted

Keith Davies

Nov 12, 2007, 11:25:24 PM11/12/07
Patrick Baldwin <p...@osmium.mv.net> wrote:

> I think I'm actually going to pitch Turn Undead altogether for my
> cleric of Sol Invictus. We're doing the new Expedition to Castel
> Ravenloft module, and I think I'm going to use the substitution level
> that gets me Destroy Undead instead. I'm also going to swap out one
> of my Domain powers for the ability to make some of my light spells
> count as actual sunlight in a small area. I want to be all burny and
> hurtful to undead, not make them run away. It's much harder to
> destroy them when they're fleeing at full speed and you're stumping
> along in heavy armor.

Indeed. Replacing 'scare undead' with 'burn undead' is a viable
solution too, and rather appropriate for a cleric of the sun god.