Alternate setting for Mage: Avatar

saphronic

Jul 21, 2007, 7:06:12 PM7/21/07
After watching my X-Men 3 DVD again, the character of Jean/Phoenix
inspired me to come up with a setting that could perhaps be used for a
short Mage: The Ascension campaign. I haven't worked out all the
details yet, but the general idea is laid down. It's sort of a mixture
of Mage, Wraith and X-Men.

There is no Technocracy, no Paradox, and all characters have what
would amount to a rank 5 Avatar. The Avatars in this setting are souls
who once roamed freely on Earth, but they were too powerful and
dangerous so they were banished from the cycle of death and rebirth.
Desperate to incarnate once again, they attach themselves to the souls
of mortals and then attempt to take over. The focus of the story is on
the relationship between the mages and their Avatars; whether they can
find the strength to control or at least co-operate with them, or lust
let the power consume them entirely. The touch I took from Wraith is
that the player only creates and controls the human side of his
character, while another player plays his Avatar, trying to manipulate
him into servitude, or just drive him mad altogether and then seize
the body.