Is this newsgroup, or all of rec.games, stalled

Will in New Haven

Nov 21, 2019, 2:19:52 PM11/21/19
I know that usenet is getting very quiet but nothing, including the views, has changed here or on rec.games.bridge in days.

John Dallman

Nov 21, 2019, 3:07:44 PM11/21/19
In article <f6f290c9-043e-4d5e...@googlegroups.com>,
willinne...@gmail.com (Will in New Haven) wrote:

> I know that usenet is getting very quiet but nothing, including the
> views, has changed here or on rec.games.bridge in days.

Usenet still has active groups here and there, but I'm seeing no more
traffic here than you.

John

Ralph Glatt

Nov 22, 2019, 8:44:45 AM11/22/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 2:19:52 PM UTC-5, Will in New Haven wrote:
> I know that usenet is getting very quiet but nothing, including the views, has changed here or on rec.games.bridge in days.

Everybody pretty much migrated to other media, like chatrooms and social media websites. I'd be surprised to find that anyone still knows about usenet anymore.

Will in New Haven

Nov 24, 2019, 12:57:47 PM11/24/19
Until very recently, the "viewed" count on recent messages was climbing, albeit slowly, although no new messages were appearing. Now the "viewed" count is static. That seemed weird.

Bill

John Dallman

Nov 24, 2019, 3:13:42 PM11/24/19
In article <31562b65-7af3-4135...@googlegroups.com>,
willinne...@gmail.com (Will in New Haven) wrote:

> Until very recently, the "viewed" count on recent messages was
> climbing, albeit slowly, although no new messages were appearing.
> Now the "viewed" count is static. That seemed weird.

What was calculating these counts? Usenet has no method of doing that
globally. If Google Groups was doing it, that would not include anyone
who used any other means of access.

John

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Nov 24, 2019, 5:00:54 PM11/24/19
On 11/21/19 2:19 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:
> I know that usenet is getting very quiet but nothing, including the views, has changed here or on rec.games.bridge in days.

Rec.games.frp.dnd has a low but fairly steady volume of traffic. This
group (.misc) was always the lower volume group.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Ralph Glatt

Nov 25, 2019, 10:48:28 AM11/25/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 2:19:52 PM UTC-5, Will in New Haven wrote:
> I know that usenet is getting very quiet but nothing, including the views, has changed here or on rec.games.bridge in days.

This newsgroup got a few Shadowrun posts a while back. Other than that, nothing.

Stephen Frost

Dec 5, 2019, 11:09:10 AM12/5/19
In message <f6f290c9-043e-4d5e...@googlegroups.com>
Will in New Haven <willinne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that usenet is getting very quiet but nothing, including the views,
> has changed here or on rec.games.bridge in days.

Unfortunately true. Some parts are still alive but I'm guessing most of
those coming online 'recently' don't even know it exists. I'm still
undecided as to whether that's a good or bad thing.

At least we're spared twitterstorms and pics of 'Me and other people
having a burger' ad nauseum.

--
Sig. under development - maybe

Ralph Glatt

Dec 5, 2019, 11:47:07 AM12/5/19
Back in 2004, I knew a girl who thought the web was the internet. I tried to explain that it's a lot more, but she didn't seem interested.