Thoughts on a Monopoly RPG?

Nicole Massey

Jun 23, 2012, 11:43:42 AM6/23/12
I've been wondering what would be required to build a RPG add-on to
Monopoly. What kinds of ability scores would be required? What rules changes
would be needed? What optional rules would and wouldn't work in such a game?
How could someone hook this RPG into the existing game to add value?
Thoughts?

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 23, 2012, 3:38:20 PM6/23/12
It's Papers and Paychecks!

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Nicole Massey

Jun 23, 2012, 7:09:47 PM6/23/12

"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 6/23/12 11:43 AM, Nicole Massey wrote:
>> I've been wondering what would be required to build a RPG add-on to
>> Monopoly. What kinds of ability scores would be required? What rules
>> changes
>> would be needed? What optional rules would and wouldn't work in such a
>> game?
>> How could someone hook this RPG into the existing game to add value?
>> Thoughts?
>
> It's Papers and Paychecks!

Other than a joke panel in the first edition DMG, I've not seen anything
about that fictional game.

Torben Ægidius Mogensen

Jun 25, 2012, 5:03:00 AM6/25/12
I think Monopoly is a bit too abstract to work as the basis of an RPG.
But there have been board games that have had RPG-like elements built on
top of them.

For example, Avalon Hill's "Circus Maximus" was basically a (violent)
horse-race game, but in the "campaign" rules, you play the owner of a
stable that has several horses, carts and drivers that you can combine
and enter in a series of races, and drivers and horses gain experience
as they race -- but they can also be injured or killed.

Torben

John Geoffrey

Jul 27, 2012, 12:55:40 PM7/27/12
Well, technically you could try to make this as a thought experiment:
what if RPG as a hobby would have come out of playing Monopoly instead
of wargames?
Soon there would have been rules for Voodoo to get rid of business
rivals, communists to battle, anarchists to throw bombs. Soon the board
would disappear largely and be replaced with a more freeform game that
focuses on the cutthroat world of business in the early 1900s.

--
J.E.Geoffrey
Stuffed Crocodile Weblog

Nicole Massey

Jul 27, 2012, 4:01:39 PM7/27/12

"John Geoffrey" <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Interesting thought experiment. Having RPG's grow out of boardgames instead
of wargames has some interesting possibilities.
Herwe are some thoughts:
Properties are owned by the bank, and players have to purchase them from the
bank, as is normal. Landing on a property means paying the rent for it until
the person can afford it.
There are values for properties and monopolies with houses and hotels on
them, so the cost isn't as low as in the traditional game.
BUying any two railroads allows the owner or anyone who has paid rent on
them to move freely between those two railroads when it's the player's turn.
All property owners pay set rates depending on number of houses and hotels
to the utilities every turn, or possibly when passing Go and Free Parking.
Prices arn't set -- they're determined by the result of a negotiation roll.
Just a few quick ideas.

patrick howard

Dec 25, 2022, 2:21:07 AM12/25/22
I was thinking about using the basic rules of monopoly but there would be races.
each race having a different number of dice per roll and getting a different $$$ for passing go.