SHADOWRUNNING WITH GURPS

David CASTELLI

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

I'will soon begin a shadowrun campaign... just another one...
but i'm tired of the FASA rules... As anyone ever toyed with the idea of
using GURPS ? does it work well ?

Robert Kelk

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96
to David CASTELLI

I haven't started one yet, but I can tell you that you'll want the
following books:
* GURPS Basic Set (obviously);
* GURPS Cyberpunk (also a no-brainer);
* GURPS Grimoire (lots of Technology spells in there!);
* GURPS Fantasy Folk (for the non-humans); and
* Any Shadowrun source books about the city you're setting the game in.

There are probably other books you'll want, but those will get you going.
--
Robert Kelk ke...@pwgsc.gc.ca
Opinions in this posting do not necessarily reflect the official

Doug Webber

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96

David CASTELLI wrote:

> I'will soon begin a shadowrun campaign... just another one...
> but i'm tired of the FASA rules... As anyone ever toyed with the idea of
> using GURPS ? does it work well ?

I am currently playing a shadowmage in a fine campaign. Magic is
converted to a decent system taking into account for drain.

My GM's url is http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sharsch/GURPS/Shadowrun

Check it out!!!

Rob Curran

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

:> I'will soon begin a shadowrun campaign... just another one...

:> but i'm tired of the FASA rules... As anyone ever toyed with the idea of
:> using GURPS ? does it work well ?

:I haven't started one yet, but I can tell you that you'll want the

:following books:
:* GURPS Basic Set (obviously);
:* GURPS Cyberpunk (also a no-brainer);
:* GURPS Grimoire (lots of Technology spells in there!);
:* GURPS Fantasy Folk (for the non-humans); and
:* Any Shadowrun source books about the city you're setting the game in.

GURPS High-Tech also has some relevant "gun" rules and covers some weapon
types that Cyberpunk skips (like the 5.6mm Six-Pak gatling gun and, duh,
shotguns).

I will only do shadowrun with GURPS rules. It works great.

| Rob Curran (rcu...@halcyon.com) |

Robert Thiem

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

In article <318E07...@pwgsc.gc.ca>, Robert Kelk <ke...@pwgsc.gc.ca> wrote:

>David CASTELLI wrote:
>> I'will soon begin a shadowrun campaign... just another one...
>> but i'm tired of the FASA rules... As anyone ever toyed with the idea of
>> using GURPS ? does it work well ?
>
>I haven't started one yet, but I can tell you that you'll want the
>following books:
[snip}

>* GURPS Grimoire (lots of Technology spells in there!);

Arent technology spells a little un-Shadowrunish?
If you want the godling mages of Shadowrun it's an idea
to try the UMana rules from Pyramid, and to have a
campaign of at least 200 points so that players can afford
a base mage package :>

And remember to be relaxed about the conversion - worrying
over every little detail is a killer.
Trust me :>

Robert (the Abnormally Sane) Thiem "Some of my best friends and
<Robe...@mailbox.uq.edu.au> finest meals have been human"
http://dingo.uq.edu.au/~zzrthiem/ - Aden, Sirrush Dragon
PGP fingerprint = E0 BC 20 9F 11 25 41 D1 49 CF BE E2 26 F3 90 1D
Finger zzrt...@dingo.uq.edu.au for PGP public key

Ed Bradley

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Another problem you might find with Shadowrun to Gurps is Spirits especially
if you wish one as an ally. The points for there Special abilities is enough
to maek a level 3 or 4 fire elemental, cost several hundred points. You
don't even want to consider the cost of a power 5 or 6 free spirit.
Initiation for mages also poses some problems though there are ways around
that.
Good Luck,
Ed Bradley

Deirdre M. Brooks

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

In <4mps5d$n...@hobyah.cc.uq.oz.au> cs31...@student.uq.edu.au (Robert Thiem) writes:

>Arent technology spells a little un-Shadowrunish?

Oh, hell no... I had a Mage work up a grimoire of spells designed
specifically to affect technology. You see, the first generation of mages
in SRun (generally the PCs and the researchers) don't seem to want to push
the envelope, because of perceived limitations...but honestly, the sooner
magic and technology are integrated, the easier it will be in the future.

:-)

>If you want the godling mages of Shadowrun it's an idea
>to try the UMana rules from Pyramid, and to have a
>campaign of at least 200 points so that players can afford
>a base mage package :>

Is this a good thing? The UMana rules? Which Pyramid?

>And remember to be relaxed about the conversion - worrying
>over every little detail is a killer.
>Trust me :>

Yes!

Deird'Re M. Brooks | xe...@teleport.com | Marizhavashti Kali
"Whose religion is this?" "It's not a religion, it's a cult." "Whose cult
is this?" "It's Hubbard's cult, baby." "Who's Hubbard?" "Hubbard's dead,
baby. Hubbard's dead." -Meme-

Greg Cavenaugh

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

God forbid I should ever try playing a game with the convoluted rules of
_Shadowrun_. With GURPS Basic Set (3rd Edition Revised) and GURPS
Cyberpunk and GURPS Magic, I can duplicate everything worth duplicating
from _Shadowrun_. While the game-world for _Shadowrun_ is fascinating,
the game-*rules* are extraordinarily tortuous, and should be avoided at
all costs. Granted, it's harder to simulate some fantasy species (like
Trolls) from _Shadowrun_ while using GURPS, but overall the GURPS rules
are much easier to interpret and much more "player-friendly."

Robert Rodger

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

I agree, just use GURPS and GURPS magic and their rules in the cyber tech
setting. The races aren't that hard to recreate. Don't bother with
spirits and totems unless you want to use GURPS Vodoo (I haven't read
Vodoo yet, so I don't know if it would help). It will make the setting
deadlier than SR, probablby, but I think it works better.

Richard Tomasso

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

We tried doing this twice in our group. Came up a little short the first
time and made some realizations that GURPS magic and SR magic are inherently
different. If you want to get a close feel for SR magic in GURPS, use the
Psionics rules, since they are a closer analogy to how magic works in SR.

I don't remember how we handled Initiation, but you could probably handle
it like an advantage to allow access to cooler magic-things, especially
if you include something like unusual background for all magicians.

Robert Thiem

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Doug Webber

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Greg Cavenaugh wrote:

> God forbid I should ever try playing a game with the convoluted rules of
> _Shadowrun_.

*snip*

Gurps Magic doesn't even come close to representing the power a mage has in
Shadowrun. Now Reflect missle and some of the tech spells from the Grimoire
rock, but in Shadowrun you can't mix magic and technology(not yet anyways),
thus the tech spells would be inappropriate. Also, using gurps magic rules to
try to capture the flavor of Shadowrun would just not work. Mages in Shadowrun
RULE! Like they say in the book "Welcome to the Sixth Age!"

However... Gurps is one of the best vehicles for realism, and since Gurps is
so versitile, it is very easy to create a Shadowrun-flavored Magic system. As
I've said, I been playing it for almost two months now, I could probably teach
the basics to someone in about 10-15 minutes, and I put up and am willing to
put up again the url of my GM who devoted his time to putting the variant
rules up his webpage...

Here it is again... http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sharsch/GURPS/Shadowrun

Thoth/ShadowMage------D'Rann/Asha'man
dr...@ic.net
"Now where did that chicken go?"

Stephen R. Figgins

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Definitely go with the Voodoo magic system. It is much lower power
than GURPS magic, less flash, more subtle, and it would work very good
with both the hermetic and shamanic traditions with just a few tweaks.
I really like it.

Stephen

--
Stephen R. Figgins
f...@ora.com

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed
beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern
conveniences,...but the other head of science is bad! Oh beware the
other head of science, Arthur, it bites!"
--The Tick

--
Stephen R. Figgins
f...@ora.com
http://tech.ora.com/fig/

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed
beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern
conveniences,...but the other head of science is bad! Oh beware the
other head of science, Arthur, it bites!"
--The Tick

brian

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

For trolls read ogres in fantasy folk . They are bug strong and
thick just like the trolls in SR .

Frodor

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

I'm thinking of buying GURPS to be a GM. I have been gaming with
other systems for 10 years now. GURPS Lacks in two areas. 1)It isn't
quite realistic enough comes close but not quite. Any supplents out
there that make GURPS more realistic???
2) Munchkinism-abounds in gurps (or any skill based system)Rather than
saying no you can't have that (which gets people really angry and
frustrates them to no end) is there a suppliment that has "classes" like
Shadowrun?? You are a decker because you have these skills X and this
equipment X? Something that would force them to get certain skills and
equipment so they wouldn't munch?

Archangel Beth

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

Frodor wrote:
[...]

> 2) Munchkinism-abounds in gurps (or any skill based system)

If you say so....

>Rather than
>saying no you can't have that (which gets people really angry and
>frustrates them to no end) is there a suppliment that has "classes" like
>Shadowrun?? You are a decker because you have these skills X and this
>equipment X? Something that would force them to get certain skills and
>equipment so they wouldn't munch?

I'm afraid that's up to the GM -- there are thumbnail descriptions
of various character "types" in most books ("Bodyguard" --
Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, No Sense of Humor, Guns Skill,
Tactics skill), but they're only suggestions, meant to spark ideas.

However, the GM *can* come up with a package and tell the
players, "Here, these are the packages. Take these. These
are the lists of advantages, disadvantages and skills so you
can customize them some."

The GM can have a lot of control, but you'll have to prep
ahead of time a fair amount.

--emc...@nh.ultranet.com // arca...@io.com // emc...@jade.mv.net

July 13-14, PhoenixCon!
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/wrench/mjudson/Phoenix/

Steffen Vulpius

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <31A0B1...@srvr.third-wave.com>, Frodor <fro...@srvr.third-wave.com> writes:
> I'm thinking of buying GURPS to be a GM. I have been gaming with
> other systems for 10 years now. GURPS Lacks in two areas. 1)It isn't
> quite realistic enough comes close but not quite. Any supplents out
> there that make GURPS more realistic???

> 2) Munchkinism-abounds in gurps (or any skill based system)Rather than

> saying no you can't have that (which gets people really angry and
> frustrates them to no end)

Why would you say such a thing? If the player has an explanation where his
character learnt that skill, he has all rights to take it.

> is there a suppliment that has "classes" like Shadowrun??

Shadowrun has no classes. The Archetypes are just suggestions how to make an
character. You are absolutely free in choosing your skills.

> You are a decker because you have these skills X and this
> equipment X? Something that would force them to get certain skills and
> equipment so they wouldn't munch?

The answer is already in your question. If you want to be a decker you have to
have the skills and the equipment that defines it:
Data Jack, Cyberdeck, Computer Ops, Computer programming, Hacking.
Or better, if you have those skills than you can call yourself a decker.
But dont force your player to play a stereotype. If they want to play a mage with
a data jack and programming skills or a streetsam with a degree in
nuclearphysics, let them. But demand that the character has a story, that is not
just a bunch of numbers. GURPS is ideal for that. In my next campaign I'll let my
players write a story about the life of their characters up to the day where the
campaign starts. And the I let them translate that story into gamestats. Or
perhaps I'll translate them myself.
One problem that arises quite often is that players tend to put lots of points
into stats. With IQ or DX at 16 you only need 1 point to get a skill at
professional level. Therefore I only allow 60 points in stats and count stats
under 8 as disadvantages (modified by race of course).
-Steffen

Doug Webber

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

Stephen R. Figgins wrote:

> Definitely go with the Voodoo magic system. It is much lower power
> than GURPS magic, less flash, more subtle, and it would work very good
> with both the hermetic and shamanic traditions with just a few tweaks.
> I really like it.

I haven't read Voodoo, yet, but from your decription of it's affect on
the game I don't think that it would work at all for Sadowrun.

Reasons:
1. lower power...This is the opposite of how Shadowrun magic should be.
How many non-mages can a Gurps Mage(normal) take out? It depends on who
he's fighting right? In Shadowrun it wouldn't. If you face a mage and
can't use magic yourself... you'd better have a card up your butt.

Here's a quote: "But gee, doesn't that mean that a team with a
magician will clean up against enemies without magical support? That is
exactly what it means. Welcome to the Sixth World, where magic is
power."(the Grimoire(SR)pg 111)

2. less flash, more subtle...No way!!! Spells cast in Gurps/Shadowrun
have elemental side effects e.g. I cast a fireball at someone-BOOM!- he
gets lit up! Paper, clothing, AMMO...all these things can get cooked
off! Now I'm not saying mages can't be subtle...heh heh. I'm saying that
in general, when dealing with combat/manipulation/elemental spells,
there is going to be some effect. After all...would you be more scared
if you saw your buddies just pass out, or explode?

That's my thoughts on that...
dr...@ic.net
"Thoth/ ShadowMage" "D'Rann/ Asha'man"
"Spanking, it's not just a job, it's MY job."
"In my day, if we was really mean, we'd just go over to someone and
SLAP HIM UPSIDE THE HEAD!!!!!"

Deirdre M. Brooks

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In <319A1A...@ic.net> Doug Webber <dr...@ic.net> writes:

>Gurps Magic doesn't even come close to representing the power a mage has in
>Shadowrun. Now Reflect missle and some of the tech spells from the Grimoire
>rock, but in Shadowrun you can't mix magic and technology(not yet anyways),
>thus the tech spells would be inappropriate. Also, using gurps magic rules to
>try to capture the flavor of Shadowrun would just not work. Mages in Shadowrun
>RULE! Like they say in the book "Welcome to the Sixth Age!"

GURPS Magic does not come close to representing the sheer combat power of
a Shadowrun Mage... It manages to duplicate the versitility, as well as
exceed the utility with defensive and divination spells.

As for technomagic being impossible, I would have to disagree strongly. It
is *difficult* to mix magic and technology (due to the fact that most
technological items are highly processed from their natural forms), but it
is not impossible. Indeed, look at one of the Detection Spells...Analyze
Device. That is technomagic.

You can utilize magic which will mess with technology, it will simply be
harder to cast.

Bradley Smith

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

Frodor (fro...@srvr.third-wave.com) wrote:

: I'm thinking of buying GURPS to be a GM. I have been gaming with

: other systems for 10 years now. GURPS Lacks in two areas. 1)It isn't
: quite realistic enough comes close but not quite. Any supplents out
: there that make GURPS more realistic???

Oh...the possibilities. But it's 8 bloody thirty in the morning,
so I won't say anything nasty or ill-conceived. That'll be in the afternoon.

: 2) Munchkinism-abounds in gurps (or any skill based system)Rather than

: saying no you can't have that (which gets people really angry and

: frustrates them to no end) is there a suppliment that has "classes" like
: Shadowrun?? You are a decker because you have these skills X and this

: equipment X? Something that would force them to get certain skills and
: equipment so they wouldn't munch?

Uh...there are no "classes" in Shadowrun. There are some general
things, though, which I will be happy to explain to you. My group has
found there to be five "types" of character: Fighter, Spellweenie,
Decker, Rigger, and Skills Guy. A Fighter is any Street Samurai or
Physical Adept who follows the Warrior Path. A Spellweenie is a full
Mage or Shaman, or a spellcasting adept. A decker is a schmuck who
sticks the cord that goes to the keyboard into his head and thinks
that'll let you surf the Matrix. A rigger is similar, but sticks the
wires from the ignition into his finger. Finally, the skills guy isn't
built for fighting, but instead doing other things, like talking to
people, driving, socializing, etc.
So, what does it take to be a Fighter? Weapons skills and loads
of cyberware or PhysAd abilities. A Spellweenie has to cast spells, and
could conjure spirits. A decker needs computer skills, and a deck. A
rigger needs a vehicle or three, plus probably a repair facility.
Finally, the skills guy needs skills.
Besides, it's not hard to "munch" anything. Although I've never
found a way to "munch" GURPS, but then I don't play it very often.

Brad

*The Few....The Proud....The Puppybrothers! Bradley N. Smith *
* Look for a recruiter near you! har...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu *

Frodor

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

Bradley Smith wrote:
[snip]

> : 2) Munchkinism-abounds in gurps (or any skill based system)Rather than
> : saying no you can't have that (which gets people really angry and
> : frustrates them to no end) is there a suppliment that has "classes" like
> : Shadowrun?? You are a decker because you have these skills X and this
> : equipment X? Something that would force them to get certain skills and
> : equipment so they wouldn't munch?
>
> Uh...there are no "classes" in Shadowrun. There are some general
> things, though, which I will be happy to explain to you. My group has
> found there to be five "types" of character: Fighter, Spellweenie,
> Decker, Rigger, and Skills Guy. [snip of lenghthy explanation]

I know there are no classes in SR thats why it's it quotes. There are people who are concidered to be street
sams, deckers, mages, riggers, and shamans, bards. You are concidered to be a sam b/c you sport a lot of
chrome and weapons, a decker because you got a data jack, a mage because you weild magic a certain way. I was
asking if there was a gurps suppliment that made people concidered a fighter because of certain reasons(skills
weapons etc. I played gurps a fair ammount and we had a player who was a mage, had thieving skills, fought
well. Because he wasn't linited in his equipment or skills he munched.
OK NOw Rather than I say no you can't take all that or no you can't take all those skills it's just too
powerful, I was wondering if there was a gurps book out there that limited players by making them try to
emulate something. Like they do in SR. ie They want to be a good sam so they copy other sams, or they want to
be a wizzer decker so they try to copy other deckers. I've looked but there only seems to be werewolf
cyberpunk and vampire i was looking for a fantasy setting.

Archangel Beth

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

[Hope this doesn't show up multiple times -- I keep trying to send,
and getting an NNTP error, that "makehistory" is running...]

Frodor wrote:
[...]

>I was asking if there was a gurps suppliment that made people

<concidered a fighter because of certain reasons(skills, weapons etc.

Snarf up some of the books and look at the Character Types -- those
list
recommended skills, and plausible advantages and disadvantages. Then
tell the PCs to choose a Character Type and stick close to the
archtype.

If you can't find one book that has all the Character Types you want,
you'll have to make up your own, based on the same format as the
various books use. With a bit of brousing, you ought to be able to
get *most* of the Character Types you want, though they probably won't
be all in the same book.

>I played gurps a fair ammount and we had a player who was a mage,
>had thieving skills, fought well.
>Because he wasn't linited in his equipment or skills he munched.

How many points did you use? Go over 100 with me, and I have a
tendency
to munch a little myself... (No, character design isn't an exercise in
accounting, but I've *still* got this handy-dandy spreadsheet...) Let
me
not shamefully gloat about the GM who did 200 point characters (we
asked,
"Are you sure? That's a lot of points." "No problem," said he), then
scrapped the campaign and went to a 100 point character campaign. ;-)
<waves at GM in question, if he be reading this>

Also, mages, if played intelligently, can munch on a GM's plotline
like nobody's business. (I think the GM was upset that a good roll
with a Sound Jet took out a minor demon-thing that was immune to
normal damage (spat out a bullet) and had an obscene speed. ;-)
And I *won't* relate the story of the Dancing Anvil and the Evil
Priest.)

Doug Webber

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Frodor wrote:

There are people who are concidered to be street
> sams, deckers, mages, riggers, and shamans, bards. You are concidered to be a sam b/c you sport a lot of
> chrome and weapons, a decker because you got a data jack, a mage because you weild magic a certain way. I was

> asking if there was a gurps suppliment that made people concidered a fighter because of certain reasons(skills
> weapons etc. I played gurps a fair ammount and we had a player who was a mage, had thieving skills, fought

> well. Because he wasn't linited in his equipment or skills he munched.
> OK NOw Rather than I say no you can't take all that or no you can't take all those skills it's just too
> powerful, I was wondering if there was a gurps book out there that limited players by making them try to
> emulate something. Like they do in SR.
*snippage*

Okay...I think I see what your getting at. In the campaign I play in, I
am mage that also happens to deck. It sounds to me like you want to give
each person their own niche, and believe that taking "all those skills"
is just "too powerful". Let 'em do it! Any good player will realize that
the more points they spread out the less strength they will have in what
they really want their character to be able to do.
Case in point: I was also planning on becoming the face man. Something
that would have taken a _lot_ away from my mage and meager decking
skills. Lukily someone else got into the campaign with the intent of
being the face. Cool. More points for me to put where I want. That is
why in Gurps you have some that devote a majority of their points to
combat, and some to magic. There are the those who spread 'em out, but
like I said, sooner or later they'll understand that they don't need a
14 decking and 14 gun skill, when they can let the decker do his job and
get themselves a 15 or 16(or higher) gun skill.
If you have a Shadowrun book, I suggest you look at it. The templates
are merely suggestions of what an Archtypical character would look like.
The limit of what sort of variety there is in the gaming world is only
set by the characters' imagination during creation(and by points of
course). My mage has a data jack, but anyone thinking he is "just a
decker" is in for a shock.

One final note... judging someone by appearance alone(as with the
datajack) is the best way to wind up dead. I'd say the only thing you
can count on in Shadowrun is that trolls are _really_ strong. Nothin'
else is set in stone.

Doug

Otis Viles

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4o64j9$r...@julie.teleport.com>, xe...@teleport.com says...

>As for technomagic being impossible, I would have to disagree strongly.
It
>is *difficult* to mix magic and technology (due to the fact that most
>technological items are highly processed from their natural forms), but
it
>is not impossible. Indeed, look at one of the Detection Spells...Analyze
>Device. That is technomagic.

And, as a Sci-Fi author once wrote:

"Any technology which is sufficiently complex is indistinguishable from
magic."

Otis Viles

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <31A895...@srvr.third-wave.com>, fro...@srvr.third-wave.com
says...

>> : 2) Munchkinism-abounds in gurps (or any skill based system)Rather
than
>> : saying no you can't have that (which gets people really angry and
>> : frustrates them to no end) is there a suppliment that has "classes"
like
>> : Shadowrun?? You are a decker because you have these skills X and this
>> : equipment X? Something that would force them to get certain skills
and
>> : equipment so they wouldn't munch?

I believe the above bit was originally from you -- if not, sorry about the
misattrib, but the following still remains:

It is always up to the GM to limit the characters in any gaming system. If
you limit them too much and too often, or their enemies are allowed to
have particular things that they aren't, they _will_ get frustrated.
However, if they are mature players they will understand your need to
limit them in order to be able to create a fun gaming environment for all.
In addition, if they know there is the chance to grow, through game play,
into that character they were trying to be from day one, they'll be less
resentful about it in the beginning. I _never_ let my players have access
to all the equipment there is, just because its in the books. Similarly,
if people are good players, they will tend to build a well-rounded
character who has some particular interest. I think that if you kept a
close eye on player's you have who tend to build "munchkin" characters in
points-based systems, you'd see they also tend to play "munchkin"
characters in other systems as well. That has been my observation; the
same guy wanting the Wand of Orcus in an AD&D campaign, also tries to be
the invisible, invulnerable, butt-kicking
street-samurai/mage/decker/rigger/i-really-don't-understand-how-to-play-an
ything-but-a-power-mad-too-incredibly-skilled-anything.

>I know there are no classes in SR thats why it's it quotes. There are

people who are concidered to be street
>sams, deckers, mages, riggers, and shamans, bards. You are concidered to
be a sam b/c you sport a lot of
>chrome and weapons, a decker because you got a data jack, a mage because
you weild magic a certain way. I was
>asking if there was a gurps suppliment that made people concidered a
fighter because of certain reasons(skills
>weapons etc. I played gurps a fair ammount and we had a player who was a
mage, had thieving skills, fought
>well. Because he wasn't linited in his equipment or skills he munched.
>OK NOw Rather than I say no you can't take all that or no you can't take
all those skills it's just too
>powerful, I was wondering if there was a gurps book out there that
limited players by making them try to

>emulate something. Like they do in SR. ie They want to be a good sam so
they copy other sams, or they want to
>be a wizzer decker so they try to copy other deckers. I've looked but
there only seems to be werewolf
>cyberpunk and vampire i was looking for a fantasy setting.

Well, no. I am running a GURPS game right now which is modelled around the
Shadowrun-style of game universe -- cybered Elves, Orcs, Ogres (Trolls),
Dwarves, and humans. The GURPS books I am using are Fantasy, Cyberpunk,
Ultratech, Basic Rules, Magic, and Cthulhupunk (although the players don't
know that part _yet_ >:-} ). And, since I'm basing it around a
Shadowrun-style of universe, I _have_ Shadowrun and I am stealing ideas
from it whenever I need too. I would recommend that same approach to you,
as well. Buy the GURPS books you need to get the elements you want, and
(since it sounds like you have Shadowrun already), use the ideas of
Shadowrun to fill in the holes (because there is no specific gamebook).

Jonathan M Thompson

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Archangel Beth <emc...@nh.ultranet.com> wrote:

>[Hope this doesn't show up multiple times -- I keep trying to send,
>and getting an NNTP error, that "makehistory" is running...]

>Frodor wrote:
>[...]

>>I was asking if there was a gurps suppliment that made people

><concidered a fighter because of certain reasons(skills, weapons etc.

>Snarf up some of the books and look at the Character Types -- those
>list
>recommended skills, and plausible advantages and disadvantages. Then
>tell the PCs to choose a Character Type and stick close to the
>archtype.

>If you can't find one book that has all the Character Types you want,
>you'll have to make up your own, based on the same format as the
>various books use. With a bit of brousing, you ought to be able to
>get *most* of the Character Types you want, though they probably won't
>be all in the same book.

>>I played gurps a fair ammount and we had a player who was a mage,

>>had thieving skills, fought well.
>>Because he wasn't linited in his equipment or skills he munched.

>How many points did you use? Go over 100 with me, and I have a

>tendency
>to munch a little myself... (No, character design isn't an exercise in
>accounting, but I've *still* got this handy-dandy spreadsheet...) Let
>me
>not shamefully gloat about the GM who did 200 point characters (we
>asked,
>"Are you sure? That's a lot of points." "No problem," said he), then
>scrapped the campaign and went to a 100 point character campaign. ;-)
><waves at GM in question, if he be reading this>

>Also, mages, if played intelligently, can munch on a GM's plotline
>like nobody's business. (I think the GM was upset that a good roll
>with a Sound Jet took out a minor demon-thing that was immune to
>normal damage (spat out a bullet) and had an obscene speed. ;-)
>And I *won't* relate the story of the Dancing Anvil and the Evil
>Priest.)

I have played a 300 pt campaigns before, but they were needed. We did
this whole gods returning to X and trying to get the stuff before they
did. Primarily in that case we ran under conferted AD&D moodules, but
I anly run up to 200 pts now.

I am planning a 1000 pt campaign, but its from the GURPS Lensman book

Jonathan M Thompson
SCA Jonathan MacAilpein
wil...@prysm.net

"The purpose of war is to support your government's decision
by force. The purpose in never to kill the enemy just to be
killing him...but to make him do what you want him to do."
-[R.A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers]

JUERGEN HUBERT

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Otis Viles writes:

> And, as a Sci-Fi author once wrote:
>
> "Any technology which is sufficiently complex is indistinguishable from
> magic."

And, as some joker once wrote:

"Any technology which is distinguishable from magic is insufficienty advanced."

--
Juergen Hubert
HUB...@gawein.physik.uni-erlangen.de

"The Emperor had all the qualifications for a corpse, except, as it were, the
most vital one."
--Terry Pratchett