Lego Dungeons and Dragons

kyonshi

Nov 29, 2022, 4:43:28 AM11/29/22
And in another attempt to make the most out of the brand Lego now is
planning to release Dungeons and Dragons sets.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-ideas-dungeons-and-dragons-finalists/

Which I think is interesting, because DnD really has become rather
mainstream again, at least brandwise. Even my podunk little supermarket
has DnD-branded Nerds with a mimic on the box. Not that they taste any
different from the normal version of the candy from what I noticed.
I do find those particular sets a bit... uninspiring though.
Much like most modern DnD products one might say.

Justisaur

Nov 30, 2022, 11:26:04 AM11/30/22
That's really surprising since Hasbro & Lego are competitors. Those
look really nice, probably hundreds of dollars for each. I wish they'd
picked more variety, a lot of duplication there, 4 dragons (2 of
which are Tiamat) 2 beholders, and 2 castles. Demogorgon looks pretty
silly, I thought it was some weird Muppet at first. The minifigs I can see
aren't very inspiring.

I'm going to find some of these hard to resist.

- Justisaur

kyonshi

Nov 30, 2022, 12:36:10 PM11/30/22
On 30/11/2022 17:26, Justisaur wrote:

> That's really surprising since Hasbro & Lego are competitors.

I assume they are just bowing to the fact that no matter what they do,
they never will sell Kre-O Dungeons and Dragons sets, while selling Lego
Dungeons and Dragons will get their brand into stores all over the world.
It has been years since I even saw a Hasbro Kre-O set anywhere on the
shelf. They just aren't a brand that people buy just like that. I think
they got most of their success from doing branded stuff like their Star
Trek line, but there's a large section of Lego fans who still will never
touch any knockoff brands, no matter how good they are or what models
they have. So partnering with Lego would be the easiest way to gain
brand recognition.
Well, more brand recognition. Getting mindshare among kids and nerdy,
obsessive adults. You know, the usual frp crowd.