Net.TSR.Trademarks book wanted!

Veggie Boy

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
First of all, this is not a trick.
While it is not advantageous for TSR to compile a list of its
trademarks (for any omissions may be seen as forfeiture of ownership on
those items), there is nothing wrong with someone outside the company
compiling a list of as many TSR trademarks as they can find (after all, what
TSR has trademarked is public knowledge so people can avoid legal hassles).
This list would be a good reference for those looking to create works that
did not use TSR trademarks.
I know someone who reads this newsgroup has compiled such a list (Mr.
8000-items database?) and has posted it. If he would post it again, or
email me a copy, I would be happy to place it on my personal ftp so anyone
who wanted to see it could access it.
The presence and availability of this list would make it easier for the
net-authors that wished to have unrestricted distribution of their work.
Having the list in a convenient place would also help TSR - while TSR could
make no official ruling on such a list, they could point at it and say
"That's a good place to start."
TSR really _doesn't_ have a handy list of all of its trademarks.
Remember, TSR has been around for 20 years and has changed locations several
times, as well as having bought and sold other companies (including a
needlework company, believe it or not). Notations of trademarks have been
filed, refiled, folded, flooded, moved, packed away, shipped, and dropped
into Portable Holes. It is doubtful that _every_ trademark owned by TSR
could be found within a reasonable amount of time, but having a publically
defined list of the most well-known TM's goes a long way toward protecting
TSR and the net-authors (after all, who's going to write an adventure that
uses a needlepoint company's trademarks?).

Once again, please post this list or mail it to me.

Thanks for your help,

- Sean Reynolds
TSR Online Coordinator
TSR...@aol.com

Alexander Forst

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
In article <skreynDD...@netcom.com>, skr...@netcom.com (Veggie Boy) writes:
|> I know someone who reads this newsgroup has compiled such a list (Mr.
|> 8000-items database?) and has posted it. If he would post it again, or
|> email me a copy, I would be happy to place it on my personal ftp so anyone
|> who wanted to see it could access it.

I saved this posting. It is attached below.

Alex
From: jh...@nslsilus.org (Aardy R. DeVarque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: What are TSR's Trademarks?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 13:35:07 UNDEFINED

Just what are TSR's trademarks?

Well, here's the list from the PH2R:

Registered Trademarks: (R)
Dungeons & Dragons, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, AD&D, D&D, Dungeon Master,
Dragon, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim, Monstrous Compendium,
Greyhawk, Ravenloft.

Trademarks: (TM)
Monstrous Manual, Planescape, Birthright, Player's Option, <the TSR Logo>

If it appears in the PH2R, and it is not on this list, it is not a trademark
of TSR. Thus, for one thing, TSR is not defending the silly claim in the
EncMagica about all spell names being trademarks.

I *think* "DM" is ok to use, as it is used in the PH2R but isn't on the list,
but I'm not 100% sure. I know TSR worked almost as hard as Xerox to keep it
from becoming considered "generic". To be safe, use "GM". :)

TSR has many more trademarks out there, but most have to do with artwork/word
combinations (such as Nazi & the trading cards).

If someone could take charge of compiling all the followups to this post, and
posting the final list, I'm sure both rgfd & TSR would be very appreciative.

Note for using trademarks: You can reference trademarks, such as
"AD&D(tm) is a really great roleplaying game. (AD&D is a trademark of TSR,
Inc.)" (and yes, you have to include the "Inc."), but you can't call a file
"The Complete AD&D Guide to Orcs", or say "This is an AD&D product", even with
a disclaimer. There is more to trademark law than this, but this simple
guideline will cover most cases. I'm pretty sure that compatibility
statements are also alright, such as "This file is AD&D-compatible" (for the
same reason I can say "this file is Windows-compatible"), as long as you
include the "AD&D is a trademark of TSR, Inc." If you have any questions
about proper use and disclamation of trademarks, I *highly* advise reading a
book on the topic or asking a lawyer about it.

Aardy R. DeVarque
Feudalism: Serf & Turf