3.0 rules are better than 3.5

Rollory

Jun 24, 2022, 7:56:03 AM6/24/22
Including rangers. Fight me.

Spalls Hurgenson

Jun 24, 2022, 10:19:23 AM6/24/22
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 07:56:00 -0400, Rollory <rol...@dnmx.org> wrote:

>Including rangers. Fight me.

No.

Anyway, all rule systems suck in one way or another. Arguing about
them is silly. Find a rule system you (and your players) are
comfortable with, and just use that, whether its D&D 3.0, OD&D,
Pathfinder, whatever. Switch only when you want to experience the
change, not because you think somehow rules X will somehow improve the
experience.

Far more important is how the rules interface with the setting (for
example, the melee-focused D&D rules tend to do poorly with modern
weaponry, and so don't fare as well in anything but a sword-n-sorcery
theme.) And even more important is the skill, attitude and
compatibility of the GM and the players. Even the most perfect rules
system in the world (not that such a thing exists) won't make a game
fun if you have mismatched players or a GM who isn't into the game
anymore.

All the "rules system X is better than rules system Y" is just feeding
into the hype created by marketing who want you to think that their
product is worth buying. Don't fall for their tricks; you're better
than that.

CBRPunk

Jul 26, 2022, 5:28:42 PM7/26/22
On 6/24/2022 7:56 AM, Rollory wrote:
> Including rangers.  Fight me.

I actually agree with you. I still keep my 3E books around from 2000
hoping I can trick someone into playing it before they figure out it's
not revised or Pathfinder :/

CBRPunk

Jul 26, 2022, 5:29:03 PM7/26/22

Justisaur

Aug 1, 2022, 10:24:55 AM8/1/22
On Friday, June 24, 2022 at 4:56:03 AM UTC-7, Rollory wrote:
> Including rangers. Fight me.

Roll for initiative!

I got a 17!

One of my favorite campaigns I ever ran out of 40+ years of D&D
was in 3.0e. It was fairly heavily house ruled, and it also
had only 3 of my favorite players playing. It did peter out at around
17th level as the two fighter types said they felt useless compared
to the M-U though.

That's not a problem I had running 2e though, I had at least 3
campaigns reach level 20, one of those got to level 27.

I really wish I could get back into 2e, but every time I try to go over the
rules it just seems too much anymore, and I prefer the 1e subclasses.
Rangers, Paladins, Illusionists, and Druids are all far better in 1e,
and Monks don't even appear in 2e except in some obscure book
I don't have. Though 1e OA is being referenced as being compatible
with 2e in the humanoid handbook, and to use that. I did play in one
PBP of 2e that I enjoyed more recently, but like most PBP it quickly
petered out.

- Justisaur