[EN World] Industry Veteran Jennell Jaquays Passes

kyonshi

Jan 10, 2024, 10:03:43 AMJan 10
https://www.enworld.org/threads/industry-veteran-jennell-jaquays-passes.702020/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=mastodon

D&D General - Industry Veteran Jennell Jaquays Passes

Jennell Jaquays was an important figure in the development of Dungeons &
Dragons and the tabletop roleplaying game industry. She passed away
today at the age of 68. Known for her work on Dark Tower and Caverns of
Thracia, she was a game designer and artist; she was responsible for
many RPG covers, including Dragon Mountain. Jennell worked for TSR,
Judges Guild, and Chaosium, amongst others, as well as video game
companies, working on Quake and Age of Empires, and was also a an
activist for trans rights, instrumental in brining about important
legislation as creative director for the Transgender Human Rights
Institute. Jenny had been suffering from Guillain-Barré syndrome in
recent years.

Our condolences go out to Jennell's friends and family. The industry
lost a legend today.

Justisaur

Jan 10, 2024, 12:26:40 PMJan 10
Oh damn. :(

So many of the great old ones go too early it seems :(

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

kyonshi

Jan 16, 2024, 4:48:56 AMJan 16
Who is even still left from the early times?
I think Lee Gold and Lewis Pulsipher are still going.
But to be fair it has been 50 years since D&D was released. And Jennell
was there from nearly the beginning.

Spalls Hurgenson

Jan 16, 2024, 10:54:16 AMJan 16
On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:48:53 +0100, kyonshi <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Who is even still left from the early times?
>I think Lee Gold and Lewis Pulsipher are still going.
>But to be fair it has been 50 years since D&D was released. And Jennell
>was there from nearly the beginning.

Zeb Cook is around. Although not from the very earliest days, he's
been around at least from the late 70s and early 80s. He had a hand in
developing D&D Expert set, and Oriental Adventures.

On the other hand, TIL that Tom Moldvay is dead. I think I'm going to
go hug my Basic Set in remembrance.

Justisaur

Jan 17, 2024, 7:18:56 PMJan 17
Frank Mentzer is still around, though he's not quite as early as
Jaquays. I can't think of anyone else.

Justisaur

Jan 17, 2024, 7:27:00 PMJan 17
Oh Lawrence Schick (White Plume Mountain) as well. One of the writers
on Baldur's Gate 3!

kyonshi

Jan 18, 2024, 3:21:22 AMJan 18
huh, interesting. I never really cared for the module, but it's nice to
see he's still involved.