Underdark food - w/ recipe!

J. McGuire

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

My drow (or as much drow as they are any more... I doubt if Lolth
herself would recognize them!) have several ways of getting food:

1) Fungus farms. They've bred/bioengineered/enchanted specialized sorts
of fungus for just about every purpose, from bulk starch to spices. This
is also where most of the city's organic waste, from sewage to corpses,
winds up. A lot of the fungoid products, like the flour from the starchy
fungi, are considered "lower-class".

2) Vegetable gardens, under Continual Light spells. Some of the organic
waste winds up here, too, as fertilizer. Because they produce less for
an equivalent amount of space, vegetables are much more expensive than
their caloric equivalent in fungus, and more available to the middle and
upper classes.

3) Small, efficient meat animals. A player-character in my game once
made a bunch of money selling bunny rabbits to the drow. Mostly, though,
they raise reptiles... an iguana's fodder-->meat conversion ratio makes
a chicken look inefficient. They have specialized breeds of lizards for
eggs, for meat, for tasty young lizardlings (skewered on sticks, coated
with flour, deep-fried, and served with spicy sauce) and so on. Again,
this is more of an upper-class thing. "Lizard on a stick" is, however, a
fairly popular market finger-food. Think lobster rolls.

4) Trading. They trade mushroom wine, adamantium, gems, spidersilk
cloth, and other rarities to some of the less scrupulous surface
societies for food, mostly meat -- either on the hoof or in
magically-cooled freezers -- and specialty items, like spices. The
nobility tries to one-up each other with ever more exotic foods and
spices at parties. (of course, a new spice makes it that much easier to
make like Lucretia Borgia, too!)

5) Raiding. Never mind piddling things like slaves, drow are after your
SHEEP! [can you see my Celtic ancestry leaking out anywhere? 8-)]

When I get into creating a culture, I get *really* into it. A player
asked what drow ate, many years ago, and I started thinking about it...
I eventually wound up cooking and serving to him a typical middle-class
drow dinner! (OK, I had to make some substitutions, like chicken for the
lizard meat, but if you've got a roommate with an obnoxious iguana, you
can even use authentic ingredients)

Here's the easiest of the recipes. I'm afraid it's one of my "some of
this and some of that" recipes, but it's not like anyone (even me) can
screw this one up:

DROW LIZARD-ON-A-STICK

Ingredients:
frozen chicken "tenders" -- figure on at least 4 per person
Shake-n-Bake or generic equivalent
Jar of the meanest salsa you can find
optional: Chinese 'hoisin' sauce
package of those little wooden skewer things

Instructions:
Thaw chicken tenders. Cut each each in half lengthwise. Cut small
notches so that it appears to have little legs. (these are lizards,
remember?) Insert skewer lengthwise, from "tail" to about half an inch
inside the "head". Coat well with Shake-n-Bake or equivalent. Arrange on
baking sheet, bake according to instructions on coating mix box.

Run the salsa through a blender or food processor until it's no longer
lumpy. It needs to be about the consistency of ketchup. (Wimps can use
mild BBQ sauce) Add hoisin sauce as needed if the salsa does not set
fire to the bowl.

Serving suggestion:
My drow have invented paper cups (and grow a fibrous fungus for paper
pulp) so it's perfectly authentic to serve each person with a large
paper cup full of lizards on sticks (stick up, chicken down) and a small
paper cup of the sauce for dipping.

This is good for a gaming group (especially if you can get them to pitch
in to pay for the chicken), since as long as people are careful about
the sauce, it's fairly neat -- no pizza grease on the maps!

-- jmm
Wintertree Software
http://www.io.com/~wtsoft

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing" -- Edmund Burke

Susano

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

J. McGuire wrote:

> 3) Small, efficient meat animals. A player-character in my game once
> made a bunch of money selling bunny rabbits to the drow. Mostly, though,
> they raise reptiles... an iguana's fodder-->meat conversion ratio makes
> a chicken look inefficient. They have specialized breeds of lizards for
> eggs, for meat, for tasty young lizardlings (skewered on sticks, coated
> with flour, deep-fried, and served with spicy sauce) and so on. Again,
> this is more of an upper-class thing. "Lizard on a stick" is, however, a
> fairly popular market finger-food. Think lobster rolls.

Not to inject an unwelcome note of reality.... but iguanas (and most if
not all other vegetarian reptiles) need sunlight to metabolize calcium
properly, or they get all kinds of bone diseases.

> When I get into creating a culture, I get *really* into it. A player
> asked what drow ate, many years ago, and I started thinking about it...

Me too... I set a few gaming sessions on a world without dogs or
horses... they had hunting lizards (think Komodo Dragons) and used pigs
as draft animals....

My players still crack up whenever I say "pig cart"

This recipie is too cute to snip....

I'd probably use a different sauce, though. Something unexpected... like
a white cream sauce flavored with Wasabi...

Atalanta Pendragonne
atal...@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2273/

Josh Hein

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

>Here's the easiest of the recipes. I'm afraid it's one of my "some of
>this and some of that" recipes, but it's not like anyone (even me) can
>screw this one up:
>
>DROW LIZARD-ON-A-STICK

This is great. If you don't mind, would you post some of the other recipes?
I'm immensely curious. If you'd rather, you could e-mail them to me.

J. McGuire

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Josh Hein wrote:

> This is great. If you don't mind, would you post some of the other recipes?
> I'm immensely curious. If you'd rather, you could e-mail them to me.

I'll have to actually dig up the written recipes for some of the other
dishes; I haven't cooked them much lately. Of course, what would
Clifford Sandlin, of the "A word on AD&D" flamewar fame, do if he caught
us exchanging recipes instead of "achieving some great and new
revelation on role-playing"? 8-) <--- notice! smiley!

Overall, though, my idea of drow cuisine is very much Chinese in nature,
as they're affected by some of the same things: limited fuel for cooking
(or, more likely for the drow, air pollution problems), small amounts of
meat, starch a fairly high part of the diet. They do a lot of
stir-frying and eat a lot of 'shrooms. Our local grocery store has just
started carrying a package of four different types of fresh gourmet
mushrooms; this just about demands that I do one of my drow stir-fry
meals just to get an excuse to try them in it!

The normal noon meal for a typical middle-class drow...a shopkeeper,
say... would be a bowl of boiled fungus-flour noodles topped with some
mushrooms, vegetables, and perhaps a bit of meat. Ramen noodles with
most of the water drained off make a fair approximation of the proper
noodles (I've even seen a chicken/mushroom flavor) and a quickly
stir-fried mix of canned mushrooms and chopped green onions, maybe with
a bit of chicken thrown in, (good use for leftovers) on top, about two
big spoonfuls, completes it. It's also a good, quick, tasty lunch.

I'll see if I can scare up one or two of my more elaborate drow recipes.

Then we can get into dwarves! 8-) (lots of stew, roast mutton, and thick
crusty bread)

J. McGuire

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Susano wrote:
> Not to inject an unwelcome note of reality.... but iguanas (and most if
> not all other vegetarian reptiles) need sunlight to metabolize calcium
> properly, or they get all kinds of bone diseases.

Yes, my big green buddy Harley and I know.... 8-) But if we iggy owners
can fake it with Vita-Lites, I'm sure that the drow can come up with a
"continual sunlight" spell.

> This recipie is too cute to snip....

Thanx! It's also a nice change from pizza.

> I'd probably use a different sauce, though. Something unexpected... like
> a white cream sauce flavored with Wasabi...

Well, I came up with a salsa-based sauce because 1) I had a player at
the time who was obsessive over anything with chiles in it and 2) it
comes in convenient bottles. Me, I'm the wimp who used mild BBQ sauce.
8-) You can _keep_ the Wasabi!

The Crystal Dragon

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

> Then we can get into dwarves! 8-) (lots of stew, roast mutton, and thick
> crusty bread)
Well, in the case of some dwarves (Bruenor Battlehammer comes to
mind), it's almost anything edible <Verbeeg brains, anyone? ;->.
--
The Crystal Dragon <Bem Ajani Jones-Bey>

"It's impossible to outthink a person who isn't
thinking." -Anderson's Maxim

Visit The Crystal Dragon's Cave at:
http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/8715/exile.htm
----------or-----------
Come to my Game Programming Page:
http://members.tripod.com/~baj

Marc Quattromani

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

In article <32703A...@hotmail.com>, Susano <sus...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>J. McGuire wrote:
> Me too... I set a few gaming sessions on a world without dogs or
> horses... they had hunting lizards (think Komodo Dragons) and used pigs
> as draft animals....
>
> My players still crack up whenever I say "pig cart"

Hmmm, that reminds me of my flying cow cart adventure...

The players found a deck of plaques with pictures of different scenes.
One plaque depicted a nice idyllic pond. The plaque created a
portal. When they went through they discovered the idyllic pond was
actually on an island of rock floating in the air. Looking over the
edge they could see no ground.

More troubling, the way home was back through the
portal. Unfortunately, the island had drifted away from the portal and
the portal was now in mid-air. The players had to figure out how to
get to the portal (they didn't have fly magic).

They spent some time in this little-pocket universe. They learned that
the bedrock of the island floated; some of it got into the vegetation
and certain manatee-like critters ate the vegetation, accumulated the
bouyant rock and could fly around. They created a cart and made it
neutrally buoyant by adding the floating bedrock to it, rounded up a
herd of flying manatees as draft animals and made it back to the
portal.

Of course, the players insisted on calling the animals 'flying cows'
and the name has stuck ever since. The scenario was 7 years ago but it
does come up every now and then.

Marc Quattromani

Tom Kerstan

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96
to ker...@wpllabs.com

J. McGuire wrote:

> I'll have to actually dig up the written recipes for some of the other
> dishes; I haven't cooked them much lately. Of course, what would
> Clifford Sandlin, of the "A word on AD&D" flamewar fame, do if he caught
> us exchanging recipes instead of "achieving some great and new
> revelation on role-playing"? 8-) <--- notice! smiley!
>
> {clip, clip}

> The normal noon meal for a typical middle-class drow ...

Please don't take this as a flame (unless you really want to) but
why do you think that a drow would have a "noon meal" ? why would
something that lives under the surface of the earth eat its meals
based on the position of the sun above the surface ?

And ... if we say that its a middle of its waking hours meal, I still
think we're making the drow to human like, why would the drow have to
eat 3 meals a day, why not 5 or 6, or why not go to the other extreme
and say a drow eats 1 meal every three days ?

Sorry, as a person who usually doesn't eat a noon meal I couldn't
just let that go.

Tom

p.s. I'd still like the see the recipes, I'm getting hungry.

J. McGuire

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Tom Kerstan wrote:

> Please don't take this as a flame (unless you really want to)

Don't need to, there are plenty of perfectly good flames out there in
"TSR and offensiveness" if I want one!

> but
> why do you think that a drow would have a "noon meal" ? why would
> something that lives under the surface of the earth eat its meals
> based on the position of the sun above the surface ?

They don't. "middle of its waking hours meal" is closer, but a lot
longer to type. By the way, my drow have something closer to "starlite
scope eyes", rather than infravision, so they need at least some light.
They prefer it dim, but their light level is usually adequate for a
human to read, for instance. Their cities are lighted by huge clusters
of artificially created crystal formations enchanted with light spells
that cycle through a 28-hour "day" cycle. This is actually for practical
reasons: keeping most people in sync with "normal business hours" saves
the need for two or three shifts of government, etc. Incidentally, if a
drow city expands beyond a comfortable size, they _do_ "put on a second
shift" as it were...but they also look to acquire more space (and
fighting for it gets the lower-class population down really well) as
soon as possible.

In my world, they've lived underground for about 5,000 years. In many
ways they're still biologically and culturally tied to the patterns of
the surface.

> And ... if we say that its a middle of its waking hours meal, I still
> think we're making the drow to human like, why would the drow have to
> eat 3 meals a day, why not 5 or 6, or why not go to the other extreme
> and say a drow eats 1 meal every three days ?

Five or six meals a day is inconvenient for someone engaged in most
types of work. Our hypothetical small shopkeeper, for instance, would
have to send a slave out to buy the meal from the corner noodle-shop, or
if he's too poor to have a shop slave, either wait for a noodle-vendor
to stop by or lock up the place and go get lunch. Then he has to try to
eat it while dealing with the interruptions from customers. Once during
business hours you can deal with this; three times would be a major
nuisance.

One meal every three days, on the other hand, seems incompatible with
their biology. Despite the pointy ears, drow are essentially primates.
While I could quite easily imagine a culture based on, say, the gorge-
and-rest pattern of the large carnivores, it wouldn't look much like
drow as we know them. They maintain a constant activity level, much as
humans do, so it's most likely that they'd follow a similar feeding
pattern.

> Sorry, as a person who usually doesn't eat a noon meal I couldn't
> just let that go.

I don't usually eat a morning meal, but my drow do. 8-) Hope that
explained a bit of the logic behind it.

Dwarves, by the way, eat four meals a day: A hearty breakfast in
preparation for work, about 6 am, a big lunch (usually eaten at home if
possible) about 11 am, an afternoon break about 3-4 pm, usually
consisting of hand-sized meat pies, or bread with sausages baked in it,
or similar portable foods, and a light evening meal around 8 pm.

> Tom
>
> p.s. I'd still like the see the recipes, I'm getting hungry.

-- jmm

LaffnOtter

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

I've introduced a couple of other drow foods, but haven't come up with
recipies for them (another Net.Book, perhaps?). Here are some examples,
with descriptions.

Rockfish: Big bugs, not crustaceans, but very like lobster. Served with
rothe curd dipping sauce.

Cave cockroach: more big bugs, gutted, and stuffed with fungus. Served on
the half-shell.

Hinsta: raw ground rothe (use buffalo), spiced, and topped with cave
fisher egg yolk. often served with fungus bread and rothe curd.

A variety of exotic fungi grow when illuminated by the radiation-emitting
crystals so common to the underdark. They vary in taste and texture, but
can be approximated by using jicama, daikon, and pickled ginger or other
exotic flora. Eggplants and spaghetti squash are also good candidates for
food comparisons.

Bryan.
Eagles may soar free and proud, but you never hear of a weasle getting
sucked into a jet engine.

Peter

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

Since the Drow are 'chaotic', what about the individual Drow simply
sleeping and eating when they are sleepy or hungry.

As far as meals, I've went long periods of days and weeks eating just one
meal per day, so it's entirely possible.

Peter

LaffnOtter

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

Just to add fuel to the food debate..

Drow caviar (with Terran substitutions)

1 lb purple fungus, fresh from the waste farms (1 lb portobellos, fresh,
and some purple food coloring to be added later)

Rothe' curd, or congealed fat (butter, or suet for a different flavor)

soured milk, curdled - about 1 cup. (1 cup sour cream)

several nodules of fungus-men empathy spores (1 or two bunches of
scallions, chopped, to taste)

Saute' the chunked <NOT sliced - big 'two-bite" pieces> fungus in the
rothe' curd, adding in the spores. Stir until the fungus begins to give
up moisture. Remove from heat and stir in curdled milk (and food
coloring, until you get a nice purple). Cool to room temprature and
serve. Be sparing with the curdled mlk at first; you want a sauce, not a
stew. Serves those willing to fight for it.

Eat and grow strong!

Bryan

Bertil Jonell

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

In article <32713C...@ccc.isd.csc.com>,
Tom Kerstan <tker...@ccc.isd.csc.com> wrote:

>J. McGuire wrote:
>> The normal noon meal for a typical middle-class drow ...

Drow are chaotic, ie they eat when they are hungry:)

>Tom

-bertil-
--
"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political view or
strange religion there exists a proponent on the Net. The proof is left as an

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

LaffnOtter wrote:

> Hinsta: raw ground rothe (use buffalo), spiced, and topped with cave
> fisher egg yolk. often served with fungus bread and rothe curd.

You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
please?...Please

--
Chris

Christophe...@uni.massey.ac.nz
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/5710/

Josh Hein

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

In article <327455...@uni.massey.ac.nz>,

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:
>LaffnOtter wrote:
>
>> Hinsta: raw ground rothe (use buffalo), spiced, and topped with cave
>> fisher egg yolk. often served with fungus bread and rothe curd.
>
>You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
>please?...Please

No, buffalo can and are raised for food, though it's fairly rare (forgive the
possible pun) where I live (Wisconsin), so I can't be more specific. I've
heard it's good. Actually, my people (the Winnebago) have just begun to
collect a herd of buffalo in an effort to conserve them as a species.

Josh

J. McGuire

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> please?...Please

Not at all. I can buy buffalo burgers, steaks, and jerky in my local
supermarket. Why should it be illegal?

J. McGuire

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Shawn Vincent wrote:

> Nope. Lots of people eat it. I think it's especially big in the SouthWest
> of the US. I've had it myself, actually -- a bit stronger than beef, but not
> bad. They raise it 'specially for food, in buffalo farms, I think.
> (anybody else know about this?)

Yep. Ranching buffalo is a fairly big thing now. While buffalo are
somewhat more difficult to raise than cattle (for one thing, they tend
to see fences as just minor obstacles...when they want through, they go
through) the profit per animal can be a lot greater. Not only does the
meat sell for easily twice as much, but while a cowhide will bring only
a few dollars from the tannery, a buffalo hide tanned with the hair on
can easily sell for $1000, and buffalo skulls sell like hotcakes to the
'Dances With Wolves' market. They're hardier than cattle, and not as
rough on the grazing land, which makes them practical for some areas
where cattle are't.

> <shrug>...I think it'd be a good substitute for many fantasy meats, though,
> if you were trying to emulate food: it's uncommon enough that most people
> haven't tried it, so it'd be a good choice. :)

It's lean, and rich, and it has a wonderful flavor, like what beef
_should_ be in a better world than this one. However, at the price
(ground buffalo, $5.99 a pound on special at a local grocery store at
the moment) I'm not sure I'd want to feed it to gamers! (though... come
to think of it... it would be the most _awesome_ pizza topping)

It makes great spaghetti sauce, because its flavor can fight its way
through the vast quantity of spices I put into mine. And there is
absolutely nothing like a big buffalo burger, hot off the grill, with a
huge slice of onion, a touch of barbeque sauce, and nothing more.

J. McGuire

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Bertil Jonell wrote:

> In article <32713C...@ccc.isd.csc.com>,
> Tom Kerstan <tker...@ccc.isd.csc.com> wrote:
> >J. McGuire wrote:
> >> The normal noon meal for a typical middle-class drow ...
>
> Drow are chaotic, ie they eat when they are hungry:)

I should point out here that my drow are a non-standard variety: they're
lawful evil.

For those folks with chaotic drow who rule that 'chaotic' includes
'having no social customs or habits', you can substitute "The normal
light meal(s) grabbed in a hurry between the first meal of the day and
the big meal eaten after ending work by a drow rich enough to be able to
afford to eat out and poor enough to have to work for a living is..."

J. McGuire

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Chris Galvin wrote:

> 'Fraid not. From a species survival point of view, the best thing that
> can happen to an animal is for humans to decide it's tasty. Look at the
> alligator, for example. From endangered, to delicacy, to nuisance. Yum.
> If only Panda went well with fava beans and a nice chianti.

Good point. Chickens are not in any danger of extinction, after all.

Chris Galvin

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Christophe...@uni.massey.ac.nz wrote:

> LaffnOtter wrote:
>
> > Hinsta: raw ground rothe (use buffalo), spiced, and topped with cave
> > fisher egg yolk. often served with fungus bread and rothe curd.
>

> You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> please?...Please

'Fraid not. From a species survival point of view, the best thing that

can happen to an animal is for humans to decide it's tasty. Look at the
alligator, for example. From endangered, to delicacy, to nuisance. Yum.
If only Panda went well with fava beans and a nice chianti.

--
chris galvin | Some people have accused me of being a
ga...@midway.uchicago.edu | liberal when I'm really a pragmatist.
| This means I think everyone's an
| asshole but me.
- Dennis Miller

Joe Feyas

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

Josh Hein wrote:

> In article <327455...@uni.massey.ac.nz>,
> Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:
> >LaffnOtter wrote:
> >
> >> Hinsta: raw ground rothe (use buffalo), spiced, and topped with cave
> >> fisher egg yolk. often served with fungus bread and rothe curd.
> >
> >You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> >please?...Please
> >

> No, buffalo can and are raised for food, though it's fairly rare (forgive the
> possible pun) where I live (Wisconsin), so I can't be more specific. I've
> heard it's good. Actually, my people (the Winnebago) have just begun to
> collect a herd of buffalo in an effort to conserve them as a species.
>
> Josh
Yes its very good, and surprisingly very tender. More tender then the
best roast beef I've ever had.

I haven't herd :) of any animal that is illegal to eat. Why you can
even get Tiger steaks if you want...

Joe
--
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of
God;" Romans 3:23

Steven Taylor

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

J. McGuire wrote:

> Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> > You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> > please?...Please

> Not at all. I can buy buffalo burgers, steaks, and jerky in my local

> supermarket. Why should it be illegal?

For some reason, most people I mention buffalo steak to are shocked.
They aren't about to die out, as some suggest. As a matter of fact,
I've seen buffalo ranches.

It's really good. Not quite as strong as beef, IMHO, which I like.

Steven Taylor

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

J. McGuire wrote:

> Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:
> >
> > You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> > please?...Please
> >
> Not at all. I can buy buffalo burgers, steaks, and jerky in my local
> supermarket. Why should it be illegal?

I _thought_ they were kinda endangered...
I thought you could only eat buffalo after the culls, shows how much I
know I guess

J. McGuire

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> I _thought_ they were kinda endangered...
> I thought you could only eat buffalo after the culls, shows how much I
> know I guess

Nope. People ranch 'em, like cattle. (though it is a bit startling to be
driving down a road past farm after farm of Holstein cows, then suddenly
see a herd of bison silhouetted against the sky!) The population has
gone from less than 1,000 at the turn of the century to hundreds of
thousands today, mostly due to the exploding market for their meat.
(lower in fat and cholesterol, and DELICIOUS)

Now I'm getting hungry.

Tim Breen

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

> Drow are chaotic, ie they eat when they are hungry:)

Yeah, but they get hungry at noon. <grin>

-- Tim

http://personalweb.lightside.com/Pfiles/breen1.html
" The Red Queen shook her head. "You may call it 'nonsense'
if you like," she said, "but _I've_ heard nonsense, compared
with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!" "
- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

Simon Jones

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Joe Feyas wrote:

> Josh Hein wrote:
> >
> > In article <327455...@uni.massey.ac.nz>,
> > Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> > >You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> > >please?...Please
> > >

> > No, buffalo can and are raised for food, though it's fairly rare (forgive the
> > possible pun) where I live (Wisconsin), so I can't be more specific. I've
> > heard it's good. Actually, my people (the Winnebago) have just begun to
> > collect a herd of buffalo in an effort to conserve them as a species.
> >
> > Josh
> Yes its very good, and surprisingly very tender. More tender then the
> best roast beef I've ever had.
>
> I haven't herd :) of any animal that is illegal to eat. Why you can
> even get Tiger steaks if you want...
>
> Joe
> --
> "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of
> God;" Romans 3:23

Don't eat red meat eating predators, they taste bad, same applies to
bugs.

Simon Jones

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

J. McGuire wrote:

> Chris Galvin wrote:
>
> > 'Fraid not. From a species survival point of view, the best thing that
> > can happen to an animal is for humans to decide it's tasty. Look at the
> > alligator, for example. From endangered, to delicacy, to nuisance. Yum.
> > If only Panda went well with fava beans and a nice chianti.
>
> Good point. Chickens are not in any danger of extinction, after all.
>
> -- jmm
> Wintertree Software
> http://www.io.com/~wtsoft
>
> "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing" -- Edmund Burke

Unfortunatly. Todays interesting fact : Chickens are all suffer from a
mild form of dementia and are the only "higher" with chordate and all to
be able to see into the UV spectrum

LaffnOtter

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Since the buffalo question has been answered, I won't engage in an act of
sadomasochistic-necrophilial bestiality, but point out that tiger meat IS
illegal in the US, due to internatonal endangered species laws. Any
portion of an engdangered specie is illegal, even hairs that are naturally
shed by a live animal. I have a license to own eagle feathers for
religious use (and in fact legally own 5 bald eagle and 5 golden eagle
feathers), but if I were to pick up a naturally shed eagle feather out at
Barr Lake (a bald eagle nesting site near Brighton, Colorado), I would
still face possible imprisonment and up to $10,000 fine, _even though_ I
am licensed to own the other 10. I could also get my permit revoked..
Same thing with tiger meat or tiger baby teeth, or (for that matter) hair
shed at the Sigfried & Roy show.

Not a flame or attempt at a flame, but just to point out that tiger is
illegal, but kangaroo is not.......

J. McGuire

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Random bit of trivia along the lines of tiger hair and other oddities:

A major museum (I think it's the Natural History Museum of the
Smithsonian, but I'm not certain) has a mounted tiger on display where
it is, at least with a stretch, accessible to visitors. Seems that
people have been stealing its whiskers for aphrodesiac purposes. So,
each Monday, the staff installs yet another set of replacement
*fiberglass* whiskers, as they have been every Monday for many years.

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Chris Galvin wrote:

> In article <327455...@uni.massey.ac.nz>,
> Christophe...@uni.massey.ac.nz wrote:
>
> > LaffnOtter wrote:
> >
> > > Hinsta: raw ground rothe (use buffalo), spiced, and topped with cave
> > > fisher egg yolk. often served with fungus bread and rothe curd.
> >
> > You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> > please?...Please
>
> 'Fraid not. From a species survival point of view, the best thing that
> can happen to an animal is for humans to decide it's tasty. Look at the
> alligator, for example. From endangered, to delicacy, to nuisance. Yum.
> If only Panda went well with fava beans and a nice chianti.

LOL

Needed... more... text... to ... post....

Tim Breen

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

> It makes great spaghetti sauce, because its flavor can fight its way
> through the vast quantity of spices I put into mine. And there is
> absolutely nothing like a big buffalo burger, hot off the grill, with a
> huge slice of onion, a touch of barbeque sauce, and nothing more.

I hate you, Jean. <g> It's one in the morning and nothing nearby is
open, and it's too late for a barbeque and I'm hungry.

<sigh> I guess I know what's for lunch tomorrow.

Tim Breen

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

> I _thought_ they were kinda endangered...
> I thought you could only eat buffalo after the culls, shows how much I
> know I guess

They were. VERY endangered. This is one of the greatest success stories
(IMO) of the endangered species project. Buffalo (N. A. Bison) have made
a wonderful recovery, and are often raised in the same manner as beef
cattle (I think bison are hardier, however, so better for some locales).

Tim Breen

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

> >You can eat buffalo????? surely that's illegal, please tell me it is
> >please?...Please

Most people who say "buffalo" really mean the North American Bison.
There are no actual buffaloes outside of zoos and preserves in North
America as far as I know.

Bison ARE raised quite commonly for food these days, and there are a
number of places in California where one can get "buffalo burgers" made
from them. The airport on Catalina Island, for instance, serves them in
its coffee shop, since there is a big herd of these animals on the
island.

"Buffalo" meat has a somewhat stronger, gamier perhaps, flavor than beef
but is otherwise very similar.

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

J. McGuire wrote:

> Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:
> Nope. People ranch 'em, like cattle. (though it is a bit startling to be
> driving down a road past farm after farm of Holstein cows, then suddenly
> see a herd of bison silhouetted against the sky!) The population has
> gone from less than 1,000 at the turn of the century to hundreds of
> thousands today, mostly due to the exploding market for their meat.
> (lower in fat and cholesterol, and DELICIOUS)
>
> Now I'm getting hungry.

Tastes that good huh?

How would it compare with the domesticated panda?

Phil Rhodes

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

J. McGuire wrote:

> Random bit of trivia along the lines of tiger hair and other oddities:
>
> A major museum (I think it's the Natural History Museum of the
> Smithsonian, but I'm not certain) has a mounted tiger on display where
> it is, at least with a stretch, accessible to visitors. Seems that
> people have been stealing its whiskers for aphrodesiac purposes. So,
> each Monday, the staff installs yet another set of replacement
> *fiberglass* whiskers, as they have been every Monday for many years.

ROTFL! I wonder if it still works? "Gee, I know I got the whiskers.
Maybe we need some fresh rhinoceros horn."

I always thought it was parts from the, err, _other_ end of the tiger
that were used as aphrodisiacs.
--
-Phil (Phillip...@baylor.edu)

"Au contraire, mooseface." - Johnny Carson

J. McGuire

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> Tim Breen wrote:
>
> > I hate you, Jean. <g> It's one in the morning and nothing nearby is
> > open, and it's too late for a barbecue and I'm hungry.

> > <sigh> I guess I know what's for lunch tomorrow.
>
> An inane question to kill this thread with no mention of buffalo
> <Chris embarrassed he started it>
> A question....or comment... or something.....yes.... ummm....ummm...

So...er...ah...you _don't_ want my recipe for B****** Spaghetti Sauce?
It was awfully good last night. <grinning, ducking, and running for dear
life>

-- Jean

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Tim Breen wrote:

> I hate you, Jean. <g> It's one in the morning and nothing nearby is
> open, and it's too late for a barbecue and I'm hungry.
>
> <sigh> I guess I know what's for lunch tomorrow.

An inane question to kill this thread with no mention of buffalo
<Chris embarrassed he started it>
A question....or comment... or something.....yes.... ummm....ummm...

Chris

Christophe...@uni.massey.ac.nz
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/5710/

Christophe...@massey.ac.nz

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Tim Breen wrote:
<snipped in a censorship move to stop people talking about the topic>
<no, I wont tell you, you will never know bwahahahahahahahahaha>

Thanks for the replys about the B word guys it's a little off topic huh?
Shall we move on?