[SR] Are there any consumer products that use magic or...

Thomas R Naclerio

Nov 3, 2017, 3:04:18 PM11/3/17
Are there any consumer products that use magic or claim to use magic in
their production or manufacture? What would they be? How would the
public feel about them?

Jenson

Nov 3, 2017, 3:07:04 PM11/3/17
It's stated pretty clearly that Aztechnology, and Mitsuhama both have
major portions of their business devoted to selling magical products
for both awakened and unawakened consumers, but I couldn't really tell
you what they are. I guess it's just something to be kinda fuzzy for a
GM to make up.

Tim Skirvin

Nov 3, 2017, 4:25:14 PM11/3/17

Miriam Sandoval

Nov 3, 2017, 7:39:42 PM11/3/17
Magic is still extremely rare in SR 2075. Less than .5% of the
population. That means that there is a lot more fake magic and
conspiracy than there is real magic in the world. People see magic on
the trid eveery now and then and a person knows at least 1 friend that
knows a guy who dabbles in magic. It also means real magic is
prohibitively expensive and most magicians are afraid of being found
out.

Imagine living next door to a mage. They can sense your thoughts, go
astral and watch you, kill you with a fireball, take control of your
body. And that is what they can do. Imagine the rumors swirling around
about what they could do. Turn lead into gold, pick winning lottery
tickets, travel through time, give magic to people. Mundane would kill
for that power or at least beg for it. They woould be paranoid and
ungrateful.

Then all the scams, on the trid, in the neighborhood, fake
talismongers, real talismongers that just give fake stuff to the
mundanes to make them feel good.

Bira

Nov 11, 2017, 11:27:34 AM11/11/17
Given the "naturey" bent of SR's magic, I would imagine most magic-related products made by corporations aren't actually magical. Rather, they're consumer goods that magicians can use without fear of having their magic eroded. Stuff like organic, pesticide- and preservative-free food, clothes made from all-natural fabrics, plant-based medicines, and so on.

None of this stuff is actively magical, but it's probably marketed as being compatible with the "magical lifestyle". The customers for it are both actual magicians and mundanes who like natural products.

joseph whiteiii

Feb 28, 2018, 9:45:01 AM2/28/18
Lucky Charms unfortunately got discontinued after General Mills suffered a
particularly hectic period during the early days of the Awakening and rumours
claimed the cereals caused everything from parents have UGE babies to eaters
just Trogging out.
And it didn't stop there, for a time there was a series of nuisance court
cases with victims claiming to have been mind controlled into buying and
eating the cereal against their will. Magically delicious indeed. ;)

John Geoffrey

Apr 16, 2018, 9:39:06 AM4/16/18
On Friday, 3 November 2017 20:07:04 UTC+1, Jenson wrote:

> It's stated pretty clearly that Aztechnology, and Mitsuhama both have
> major portions of their business devoted to selling magical products
> for both awakened and unawakened consumers, but I couldn't really tell
> you what they are. I guess it's just something to be kinda fuzzy for a
> GM to make up.

Skin care products created with elementary water/earth. Speciality metals formed with magical aid. Many of the things might involve some process that could be done with normal technology, but it might sell better if some magician puts hand on it. Stuff also might be specifically formulated for use by magic users (less artificial materials/polluting/nano-machines) in the same way that some companies nowadays offer gluten-free stuff for people with celiacs or cotton swaps for medical/forensic applications.
Just some ideas.