[SR] Alternative ShadowRun Ruleset?

Sunny Olunya

Feb 14, 2018, 5:53:41 PM2/14/18
Has anyone tried to run a Shadowrun game using Starfinder and
Pathfinder rules? If you cut out all the high tech weapons and space
rules is it doable? I love the Shadowrun world but I hate the rules.

Ubiquitous

Feb 14, 2018, 6:07:13 PM2/14/18
I remember not being impressed by the d20 version of ShadowRun. I don't
imagine this will be better.

--
"I beg you, look for the words “social justice” or “economic
justice” on your church website. If you find it, run as fast as you

Mattew Henry

Feb 14, 2018, 6:14:33 PM2/14/18
Huh. That's an interesting thought.
It's probably pretty doable, if you re-skin everything to fit the themes of
Shadowrun instead of a high-fantasy/sci-fi game.
Thinking about it, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might have to homebrew a
lot
of cyberware and such, though.
However, you could play Anarchy instead, which is a rules lite Shadowrun.

Benjamin Gear

Feb 14, 2018, 6:18:08 PM2/14/18
There's a lot of reasons why D20 just doesn't fit with Shadowrun. The
probability curves are completely different and it'd be a nightmare to
adapt every number and test. They're just really incompatible.

But apart from numbers it's a major feel thing. D20 feels like the hand
of fate being modified by godly abilities. It's why it suits your
traditional high fantasy settings with super-powered characters.

The SR dice system is about your every bit of skill being brought
together to overcome a challenge. I've never understood the complaint
of "too many dice!" (I really think it's not a real issue anyone has,
just one they're taught to have.) It suits being a scrappy underdog in
a deadly world. You feel week if you're rolling few dice. You feel
strong when you're rolling fistfuls.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Feb 14, 2018, 6:30:46 PM2/14/18
Benjamin Gear <Benjam...@aol.com> wrote in
Personally, I feel bored when everyone else is *counting* fistfulls
of dice. (Hero is prone to that, too.)

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

John Geoffrey

Apr 18, 2018, 5:50:11 AM4/18/18
There's a few more rulesets for the setting, many of which try to minimalise the rules somewhat.

There's Karma in the Dark, which is based on Swords in the Dark
https://www.casskdesigns.com/

There's Shadowrun in the Sprawl, an extension of The Sprawl
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BtD9Rvgn3NR6OdsIRJZuvZcdNxieFEI4/view
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/171286/The-Sprawl----MIDNIGHT

Sixth World, which is a Dungeon World hack
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vLdlUf4Vj3lSOMZtEzezXfhCUdvLacvzOkxsPU59jHs/edit

The Savage World of Shadowrun, which is for Savage Worlds
https://wrathofzombie.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/savage-worlds-of-shadowrun-final.pdf

and there's also Shadow-Hack, which is based on Old School Hack
https://sentientgames.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/shadow-hack/

I bet there's a lot more.