STORY: The Hill Giant Chief - Nosnra's Saga Pt CCXI (211)

Jason Zavoda

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00

This is a first draft of a story set in the world of Greyhawk.
It is based on a home campaign so some of the people, places and things
may be different. Any helpful comments or suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks
Jason Zavoda

The Hill Giant Chief - Nosnra's Saga Part CCXI

"Leaving!" Talberth cried. "We can't, there is too much here."
"Talberth, the danger outweighs the reward." said Telenstil. "We
have rested, somewhat at least, now it is time for us to move on."
"We can't," Talberth waved his hand about trying to summon up the
words that would convince them but he could find none, "I can't."
"Will you abandon us?" asked Telenstil.
"No." Talberth. "Of course not." The mage squared his shoulders.
"But here, this place, it may contain magics that would destroy the
giants completely."
"There is power here, yes," said Telenstil,"and I do not know.
You could be right, but look around, the power is not ours to control."
"If we spent the time we could control the power," Talberth
slapped his fist, "I know it."
"I am sorry Talberth," said Telenstil, "I do not agree. We
will gather our packs and go. Come everyone, I wish that there had been
more time for us to rest but we need to leave here now."
"It will still be dark out." Harald said.
"Better to be outside in the dark than in here longer." Telenstil
replied.
"I'll go see what it is like out there." the ranger volunteered.
"No." Telenstil shook his head. "No, we go together."
"Telenstil, a little scouting won't hurt." said Harald.
"It will no doubt help," said Telenstil, "it has helped, but
not so far ahead. We will face what lies in wait for us together. Our
strength is greatest only when we are not divided."
It was Harald's turn to shake his head, but he did not press
his objections further.

* * *

"How is he?" Harold asked. The halfling knelt beside Little Rat
and watched the slow rise and fall of the orc's chest.
"Healed. Sleeping now." smiled Gytha.
"I brought your pack," said Harold, "you heard?"
"I heard." she yawned. "This one will need to rest, we will need
someone to carry him. Where are the others?"
The halfling looked at her with a quizzical expression. His eyes
widened and he slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand. "The
orcs!"
"Could they have escaped?" Gytha asked.
"I'd better go find Telenstil." Harold rose quickly, he scanned
the room trying to decide where the elf had gone.
"Ask Harald to come here," Gytha called after him as the halfling
took off at a run, "he needs to carry..." but Harold was already out of
sight.
Gytha busied herself with her pack, it contained little enough.
With her horse and main supplies destroyed by the giants, the small bag
she had brought with her on the raid of the steading was all that she had
left.
They'd taken hide pelts from the giants hall and made crude sacks
and cloaks from them. Beef cut from the body of giant cows, a herd
slaughtered by magic bolts, filled some of the hide bags. The meat,
blackened by fire, was wrapped in uncured leather, but it would not
last. Already it had begun to decay, in a day the green rot would take
hold and they would be left only with the crumbs of hard rations in
the bottoms of their packs.
The smell from the hide sack she carried made Gytha wrinkle her
nose and beside her Little Rat did the same. His eyes opened and
he pushed himself up on his elbows. A long tongue licked thin lips
and he yawned.
"Hungry." the young orc said. "What smell good?"

* * *

(To Be Continued...)