STORY: The Hill Giant Chief - Nosnra's Saga Pt CCXIII (213)

Jason Zavoda

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

This is a first draft of a story set in the world of Greyhawk.
It is based on a home campaign so some of the people, places and things
may be different. Any helpful comments or suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks
Jason Zavoda

The Hill Giant Chief - Nosnra's Saga Part CCXIII

"Do we still run, or are we turning back to the steading?" asked
Harald. The ranger stood at the end of the gully with Ivo and
Telenstil beside him.
The elf did not miss the displeasure in Harald's voice. "We will
turn back, but not yet." said Telenstil. "For now, yes we run, and still
we need to find a place to rest, gather supplies and make plans."
"I thought that was why we went down that cursed hole." Harald
nodded back toward the passage and the shaft down to the ruin.
"It was," said Ivo, "and since we didn't find any, we need to look
again."
"Then we had best start looking now." said Harald gruffly.
"Lead us away from here." Telenstil told him. The elf put his
hand on the ranger's arm. "I know you want to find a safe way for us to
travel, but stay close."
Harald nodded, accepting Telenstil's command but grudgingly.
"Have Ghibelline up at the front while I am scouting, he knows the woods
as well as I."
"Ahead," said Telenstil, "not far."
"I know, I know." muttered Harald. "I know." The ranger set off,
disappearing into the woods that surrounded the crevice. He made his way
to the north and west, away from the swath of devastation left by the
gibberlings, toward the mountains and the lands untraveled by man.

* * *

The sky was purple, like a drop of ink swirled into a cup of
water. Even the humans could make out dim shapes in the pre-dawn light.
The ranger had no trouble with the dark, he moved quiet and sure as
hunting cat, seeming to meld into the brush and brambles.
The small company trekked along all morning. Their pace was slow,
the old gnome, the halfling, the small orc, even Talberth the young mage
held the others back. The elves, Telenstil and Ghibelline, moved through
the woods with the ranger's skill. Gytha had been born and raised among
the hills and wildlands of her home, and Derue, though silent, seemed
tireless and moved with a strange grace.
At mid-morning they rested. Hours of travel but they had
gone only a handful of miles. The way had been rough, the forest thick
and filled with thorn bushes, the ground rising and uneven with no real
path to follow.
Harald found an old deer trail a little after dawn and the narrow
track had led them to a spring. The water was cold, flowing down from the
mountain ice high above. A small pool collected in a hollowed shelf of
rock, the shallow basin formed by countless years of the waters ceaseless
flow.
The ranger had disappeared after leading them to the spring, he
returned suddenly, stepping from a hidden path and out into the bare
space of rock around the pool.
"Telenstil." Harald said. "You will want to see this."
"What have you found?" asked the mage.
"We've climbed higher than I thought." the ranger wiped the
back of his hand across his brow. "There's a cliff nearby, it looks back
on the way we've come."
"Any sign of pursuit?" Telenstil asked him. The elf crossed around
the pool and followed the ranger into the woods,
"Nothing." said Harald.
"I'll come as well." said Ivo.
"Why not rest while you can." Harald told him.
The gnome looked at the others. His companions were lying about
the small clearing, some asleep with their packs pillowed beneath their
heads. "Talberth is resting enough for both of us." he nodded to the mage
whose breath whistled out in sharp snores.

* * *

(To Be Continued...)