STORY: The Hill Giant Chief - Nosnra's Saga Pt CCXVI (216)

Jason Zavoda

Jan 2, 2001, 11:48:35 AM1/2/01

This is a first draft of a story set in the world of Greyhawk.
It is based on a home campaign so some of the people, places and things
may be different. Any helpful comments or suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks
Jason Zavoda

The Hill Giant Chief - Nosnra's Saga Part CCXVI

The mountainside was a wild, rocky place. As the summit grew
nearer the trail steepened till they were all half-climbing, leaning into
their staves or against each other for support.
Harald had run up the path, quick and sure as a mountain goat
despite his size and years. He ran back and now lead them to the
camp.
"How did they get here?" asked Ghibelline. "Not the way we just
came."
"Over the top and down from the other side." said Harald. "It's
the peak up there, beyond it's a range, not just a single mountain."
"How can you tell?" Harold asked.
"You can see more from the camp," said the ranger, "its on a ledge
that curves round the side."
"This trail, the stones have been carved away by water, haven't
they?" Ghibelline ran his hand down the smooth side of the rock.
"Water," said Ivo, "water and time. The two will split a
mountain."
"No sign of it now I suppose." said Harold loudly. "All this talk,
it's getting me thirsty."
"Quiet there..." warned Harald. "There's a pond by the camp,
though the giants and their wolves have been at it. Keep him away from the
waterskins, he'll drain them dry."
"Hey..." Harold started to complain, but Ivo put his finger to his
lips and hushed him.

They came up from the steep trail between a boulder to the east
and dense brush to their left, the west side of the ledge.
"We've turned." whispered Ghibelline.
"Yea," that trail seemed straight enough didn't it." Harald
agreed. "Loose an arrow down that path and you'd see the curve."
The wood elf and the ranger circled the clearing, one to either
side as the others made their way up onto the wide ledge. There was
a clearing before them, much like the little spring they had left below,
but here the trees had been felled and the stumps either pulled up or
turned into the legs of a bench and table of massive size.
The center of the clearing was bare except for a large pit, the
remains of a campfire still smouldering within the circle of stone. A
roasting spit was left above the embers and on it the bones of a massive
elk, bits of bloody flesh and gristle still clinging to the ribs and
haunch.
The ranger came back to the group as they gathered by the
firepit. He watched them for a moment, a tinge of resentment and anger at
the limits set upon him by Telenstil, but a stronger sense of care for his
companions overwhelmed such petty thoughts. He was angry because he could
not protect them, the same way that he had failed to protect his
homeland from the depredations of the giants.
The memories of the dead came back to haunt him. They fled and
each step that took them further from Nosnra and his steading ate into
Harald's spirit, gnawing him down to his heart.

"Could we cook some food?" asked the halfling staring at the
smouldering ashes in the pit.
"We should not stay that long." said Telenstil.
"This place is no better than the spring." said Harald. "Up there
the trail is above us, and there is even less cover here."
"They've cut down all the trees." said Gytha.
"Those stumps are old." Harald nodded in agreement. "They've been
using this as a camp for some time."
"Where did they go?" asked Talberth. "And why did they come here?"
"They went downhill." answered Harald. "The path they took is to
the east, it goes down and up along that side of the mountain."
"More settlements lie to the east." said Telenstil. "Those
messengers, they were headed in that direction, and those herdsmen they
were coming from the east."
"These mountains and hills are thick with giants." Harald said
grimly. "They infest this land."
"Well, other than giants we should not have any beasts or monsters
to worry about." said Telenstil brightly.
"What of those wolves?" asked Harold. The halfing felt more and
more lost out in the woods beyond the walls of cities and the comfort
of paved streets and warm beds.
"They serve the giants." said Harald.
"That doesn't make me feel any better." Harold replied.

* * *

(To Be Continued...)