Epic Fail

瀏覽次數:76 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Stephen Gunnell

未讀,
2022年9月13日 晚上9:44:552022/9/13
收件者:
For nearly 7 years now I have been running my 94 standard workspace with p-warriors crippled. Sometime back before 2015 I split my 94 workspace into p-space and non-p-space versions. Soon afterwards when Windows 10 tried to force its was onto my desktop I switched back to Linux. Then I was having problems with p-space warriors contaminating my 94nop workspace I set S=1 in my pmars parameter file for 94nop to weed them out. Unfortunately after I migrated my workspaces from Windows to Linux I ran my usual script to convert duplicate copies of files to hard links I linked the 94standard parameters with the 94nop parameters. Initially there was no change because the results of historic battles were cached in a database but it became increasingly difficult to get new p-space warriors to score well and new 94nop warriors score increasingly well against old p-space warriors.
Finally I spotted some odd behavior in a p^3 switcher which caused me to waste a bunch of time looking for a bug in the generator which eventually led me to suspect a problem with the amount of p-space being allocated by pmars. I went to the parameter file to force a value to check my suspicions and found my 94nop parameter laughing at me. Sheesh!

Skybuck Flying

未讀,
2022年9月22日 下午1:37:492022/9/22
收件者:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 3:44:55 AM UTC+2, stephen.g...@gmail.com wrote:
> For nearly 7 years now I have been running my 94 standard workspace with p-warriors crippled. Sometime back before 2015 I split my 94 workspace into p-space and non-p-space versions. Soon afterwards when Windows 10 tried to force its was onto my desktop I switched back to Linux. Then I was having problems with p-space warriors contaminating my 94nop workspace I set S=1 in my pmars parameter file for 94nop to weed them out. Unfortunately after I migrated my workspaces from Windows to Linux I ran my usual script to convert duplicate copies of files to hard links I linked the 94standard parameters with the 94nop parameters. Initially there was no change because the results of historic battles were cached in a database but it became increasingly difficult to get new p-space warriors to score well and new 94nop warriors score increasingly well against old p-space warriors.
> Finally I spotted some odd behavior in a p^3 switcher which caused me to waste a bunch of time looking for a bug in the generator which eventually led me to suspect a problem with the amount of p-space being allocated by pmars. I went to the parameter file to force a value to check my suspicions and found my 94nop parameter laughing at me. Sheesh!

I am glad you finally realized that you are a BIG FAT FAIL ! LOL.

Something I already detected during our Corona and DEAD BABIES discussion ! LOL.

:P******************* =DDDD

Bye,
Skybuck ! ;) =D

inversed

未讀,
2022年10月16日 清晨5:04:102022/10/16
收件者:
I won't be outdone when it comes to epic fails.

The biggest one is losing the Valentine tournament 2015. I'm pretty sure I would've won had I sent just one entry (Infiltrator) instead of two. I knew there would be no counters to it. I predicted Steve's strategy. But I thought there would be no harm in sending a second entry. WRONG. The other entry (Monolith) advanced, which cost me the tournament.

Something similar happened during the recent 2022 CGM finals when the wrong entry advanced. This was less of a fail: the outcome was difficult to predict and Roy would've won anyway thanks to a better strategy (would've been a much closer fight though). The real mistake was spending most of the time on the supernano round (it interested me the most) and preparing for the finals hastily.

The latest fail is not fully understanding my own q^i quickscan design. This year I had a "what was I thinking!?" moment when I realized that the additional decode stage is unnecessary. At least this one is fixable.

--
inversed

Stephen Gunnell

未讀,
2022年10月29日 下午6:49:012022/10/29
收件者:
On Sunday, 16 October 2022 at 5:04:10 pm UTC+8, inversed wrote:
> I won't be outdone when it comes to epic fails.

Heh, I know those "what was I thinking?" moments all to well. Since I retired I have re-visited some never quite good enough code and have done some forehead slapping myself.

You can only fail spectacularly if you are actually pushing the envelope.

Cheers,
Steve

John Metcalf

未讀,
2022年11月5日 下午1:06:262022/11/5
收件者:
I'd say your successes far outweigh any fails :-) It happens to everyone
at some point. I wasted months optimizing for the normal hill using a
special tournament version of pMARS which filled empty core with DAT 1,1!

By the way, you can switch off p-space in config.h

John

0 則新訊息