Ultima 5 game Harpsichord problem? Here's the solve!

Anthony 007

Mar 27, 2022, 12:53:19 PM3/27/22
Are you having a problem playing the harpsichord in Lord British's chamber? Here's the solution...

1. You are using the wrong keyboard. Yes! If you press the number keys (on top) and it moves your character around, you have the wrong keyboard for this game. Trust me. Nothing you do will work. I had a RedDragon keyboard but it mapped the keys to the arrows (so when i press the 4 key - it moves to the left and the 6 key moves the character to the right.). reddragon maped the upper number keys to the arrows...
2. Solution - switch keyboards. A simple usb keyboard will work. Windows 10 - is hot swappable too. You don't need to close the game...
3. once your keyboard is switch, sit in the chair of the harpsichord, and press the following keys - 6789878767653 - you know you did it right when the whole rooms shakes, and the wall turns to a new opening. enter and take the box.

Tristan Miller

Mar 28, 2022, 10:10:40 AM3/28/22
Greetings.
You mention Windows so I assume you're trying to play the MS-DOS version
of the game. An even better solution to your problem might be to play
the Commodore 128 version of the game, which has the advantage of
featuring a beautiful soundtrack.

Regards,
Tristan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tristan Miller

Spalls Hurgenson

Mar 28, 2022, 12:26:39 PM3/28/22
On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:10:38 +0200, Tristan Miller
<psych...@nothingisreal.com> wrote:

>Greetings.
>
>On 27/03/2022 18.53, Anthony 007 wrote:
>> Are you having a problem playing the harpsichord in Lord British's chamber? Here's the solution...

>You mention Windows so I assume you're trying to play the MS-DOS version
>of the game. An even better solution to your problem might be to play
>the Commodore 128 version of the game, which has the advantage of
>featuring a beautiful soundtrack.

I dunno, the Roland MT-32 soundtrack of the enhanced DOS version is
hard to beat. It's got the prettier graphics too ;-)

My heart, though, is with the Apple ][ version, if only because the
chirpy little tune that plays when you (H)ole up and rest is forever
embedded in my brain ;-)

I fondly remember pounding out the solution to the harpsichord puzzle,
and then joyfully realizing it's actually the tunes to "Stones". Good
times.