Ultima Underworld Level Editor - Out now!

Jonathan Rimmer

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99

I've just uploaded a test version of UWE, my Ultima Underworld level
editor onto:

http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/memphis/670/

The program is by no means complete, but does allow full editing of the
actual level (1) architecture. Hopefully you Underworld fans, can have
some fun with this thing.

The documentation was written in a bit of a hurry, so if you have any
questions don't hesitate to email me at the address below.

--
Jonathan Rimmer
j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk

Joseph 'DOUG' Morris

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
Jonathan Rimmer wrote:

> I've just uploaded a test version of UWE, my Ultima Underworld level
> editor onto:

Jesus H Christ!
Is there any chance of this thing being made to work with System Shock?
Are the two engines close enough?

--
* JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) - DOU...@bigfoot.com *
* -=UDIC=- Author of the U6 developer's kit (http://ithe.cjb.net) *

Jonathan Rimmer

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
In article <374691D6...@ithesoft.dabsol.net>, Joseph 'DOUG' Morris
<b5...@ithesoft.dabsol.net> writes

>Jonathan Rimmer wrote:
>>
>> I've just uploaded a test version of UWE, my Ultima Underworld level
>> editor onto:
>>

>Jesus H Christ!
>Is there any chance of this thing being made to work with System Shock?
>Are the two engines close enough?

Well I wondered the same thing, and having finally found my lost System
Shock CD (it was behind the piano) I checked it out.

The map format looks like it is very similar, the levels are built in
the same separate rectangular cell format as UW. It seems that all of
Looking Glass' 3D games run of an improved and modified version of the
original Underworld engine as they share many features (such as the
hideous texture warping on low detail levels).

However, all the data files in System Shock are compressed as
"LG Res files v2". Since I have no knowledge of data compression
techniques I can't really proceed any further, but I think its a safe
bet that the uncompressed files would be little different than the
Underworld ones.
--
Jonathan Rimmer
j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk

Joseph 'DOUG' Morris

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99

They're not compressed, it's just a big resource file to hold them,
like a Doom .WAD file.

I don't know the precise structure, but since I know all the textures
are uncompressed (I assume the tiles are too), (and try using
byteraper 2000 to view them if you can get it), it should be easy
enough to crack.

If necessary, you could just grab the bare offsets.

Jonathan Rimmer

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
In article <3747BE85...@ithesoft.dabsol.net>, Joseph 'DOUG' Morris
<b5...@ithesoft.dabsol.net> writes

*snip*

>They're not compressed, it's just a big resource file to hold them,
>like a Doom .WAD file.

Trust me to jump the gun :)

>I don't know the precise structure, but since I know all the textures
>are uncompressed (I assume the tiles are too), (and try using
>byteraper 2000 to view them if you can get it), it should be easy

--------
That's sick!
>enough to crack.

The map seems to be stored in the savegame file like Underworld.
There is a definite structure there, each cell takes up seven bytes.
However, the maps aren't split up as obviously as they are in UW, and I
don't know what size the System Shock maps are.

Anyway, I've got exams coming up, so I won't be able to work on the
editor for a couple of weeks or so. After that though I've a long
holiday so I'll be able finish UWE up to version 1, after that I'll
probably work on System Shock editing.

Cya
--
Jonathan Rimmer
j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk

Waylander

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

Joseph 'DOUG' Morris skrev i meddelandet
<374691D6...@ithesoft.dabsol.net>...

>Jonathan Rimmer wrote:
>>
>> I've just uploaded a test version of UWE, my Ultima Underworld level
>> editor onto:

Any url/ftp of where you uploaded, I`d be happy to give feedback about the
editor :)

Jonathan Rimmer

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <7ira0h$902$1...@cubacola.tninet.se>, Waylander
<spide...@usa.net> writes

Here you go:

http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/memphis/670/

--
Jonathan Rimmer
j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk

Waylander

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

Thnx, downloading it right now :)
Time to dust off disks UUW and UUW2 disks :P~

Jonathan Rimmer

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <7is4m9$bfr$1...@zingo.tninet.se>, Waylander
<spide...@usa.net> writes

Well, its only a test version, so its only designed to edit level 1.
also I've only tested it only level 1 on UW1 since I don't have UW2, so
it may not work on the sequel.

Enjoy!
--
Jonathan Rimmer
j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk

Carlos Cruz

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
On Sun, 30 May 1999 21:56:46 +0100, Jonathan Rimmer
<j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <7is4m9$bfr$1...@zingo.tninet.se>, Waylander
><spide...@usa.net> writes
>>>http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/memphis/670/
>>>

>>>--
>>>Jonathan Rimmer
>>>j...@rimmer.demon.co.uk
>>

>>Thnx, downloading it right now :)
>>Time to dust off disks UUW and UUW2 disks :P~
>>

>Well, its only a test version, so its only designed to edit level 1.
>also I've only tested it only level 1 on UW1 since I don't have UW2, so
>it may not work on the sequel.

I have not yet tried it as an editor per se, but let me tell you it
that, AFAI am able to, it doesn't work on UW2.

>Enjoy!

Carlos

henryf...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2016, 7:40:07 AM8/7/16
Seventeen years later, and the link is dead. That's rather sad.

henryf...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2016, 7:51:12 AM8/7/16
On Sunday, 7 August 2016 12:40:07 UTC+1, henryf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Seventeen years later, and the link is dead. That's rather sad.

After like an hour of searching, here it is, on some totally random website:

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/zips/uwetest.zip

Found it on this page:

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.php?event=project&typeKeyword=tools

Spalls Hurgenson

Aug 7, 2016, 9:41:26 AM8/7/16
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 04:51:10 -0700 (PDT), henryf...@gmail.com
wrote:
It's a shame that the System Shock games get so much attention while
the older Underworld games languish forgotten. I'd love if Nightdive
Studios managed to wrestle the license from EA and gave Underworld 1 a
remake (even if all they did was provide a full-screen mode so I
didn't have to perceive the world through a postage-stamp sized
window).

arwil...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 1:48:49 AM6/18/17
You can play UW using Dosbox fullscreen.

Spalls Hurgenson

Jun 18, 2017, 9:34:57 AM6/18/17
The game can run full-screen, but the world-view is still about 1/3 of
the screen. Imagine a remake of Underworld with the world-view taking
up all of the screen, and the interface elements worked into a HUD.
Proper mouselook - that is, being able to look up and down without
using the keyboard - would be nice too ;-)

But alas, Underworld is all but forgotten in favor of System Shock.
Well, they are making a third in the series, but I wish the original
would get its due as well.

arwil...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2018, 9:39:15 PM1/27/18
This guy seems to have gotten a little farther. He made a resource exporter and got the game to work using the Unity engine. Spent a few hours and got it to work and it's pretty impressive. He managed to get rid of a lot of the GUI clutter from the original. Check it out. Also trying to see if Jonathan Rimmer managed to get farther on his level editor. Would be great to have UW updated with higher res testures.

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter

arwil...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2018, 11:19:05 PM1/31/18
Ok, I've begun process of updating this editor to Windows 10 using VB Net. So far, pretty straightforward. I'll try and update on my progress but might take a while. I previously did something similar with War in Middle Earth and process so far seems to be same, only difference is this is a 3D game.