Martian Dream eastern egg ?

Bartholomew J. Melnicki

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
I found strange place in Martian Dreams. When you teleport (using
Alt-214) to x:5 y:5 z:0, you are
in room without exit with wisp inside. It wants from you sample of soil
used in growing martian bodies.
When you bring that, it gives in exchange some not so useful hints about
game plot. I wonder is it part
of game or abandoned quest which is only reachable by cheat ?

Overhead Dragon

BrackWock Dragon

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
Hmm, dont think that's an easter egg, since I do recall meeting
a wisp in the game. Maybe it's the wisps 'storage' location
when the game doesnt need to call on it.

--
BrackWock Dragon -=UDIC=-
Remove ANTISPAM from address to reply.

Fortran Dragon

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
[This followup was posted to rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons and a
copy was sent to the cited author.]

My glass typewriter shows Bartholomew J. Melnicki saying...
> <HTML>
> &nbsp;
>
> <P>BrackWock Dragon wrote:
> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Bartholomew J. Melnicki wrote:
> <BR>>
> <BR>> I found strange place in Martian Dreams. When you teleport (using
> <BR>> Alt-214) to x:5 y:5 z:0, you are
> <BR>> in room without exit with wisp inside. It wants from you sample of
> soil
> <BR>> used in growing martian bodies.
> <BR>> When you bring that, it gives in exchange some not so useful hints
> about
> <BR>> game plot. I wonder is it part
> <BR>> of game or abandoned quest which is only reachable by cheat ?
> <BR>>
> <BR>> Overhead Dragon
> <BR>Hmm, dont think that's an easter egg, since I do recall meeting
> <BR>a wisp in the game. Maybe it's the wisps 'storage' location
> <BR>when the game doesnt need to call on it.
>
> <P>--
> <BR>BrackWock Dragon -=UDIC=-
> <BR>Remove ANTISPAM from address to reply.</BLOCKQUOTE>
> &nbsp;I'm working on extracting maps from MD and now I know what is this
> location.
> <BR>Every level map has similiar location, it has two functions:
> <BR>&nbsp;-it is place to store NPCs which are active but unavaliable at
> this moment or
> <BR>&nbsp;existing NPC who has different speech and waits for some game
> plot flags
> <BR>-it is one of markers on map to tell game engine where particular map
> loops their coordinates.
>
> <P>I have decoded MD map to 1 tile:1 pixel at average color of each tile.
> <BR>There are some very interesting locations
> <BR>&nbsp;-monumenthal Gryphon's signature carved at polar cap at:
> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; x:311, y:060, z:0
> <BR>&nbsp;-something I called "Game flag testing area" - couple of locations
> with all
> <BR>&nbsp; objects, triggers, levers, items found in game (and some not
> found) at:
> <BR>&nbsp; x:07a, y:06b, z:0
> <BR>-something I called "Weapon test area" - area with different kinds
> of terrain (sands,
> <BR>&nbsp;mountains, caverns), all types of monsters you can spot and all
> types of weapons
> <BR>&nbsp;you can beat them. At:
> <BR>x:236, y:3bf, z:0
>
> <P>Now I work at decoding objects images and positions to make accurrate
> map with
> <BR>doors, levers, trees etc. placed where it should be.
>
> <P>Overhead Dragon
>
> <P>PS:
> <BR>If anyone can help me with decoding format of objects please contact
> me.
> <BR>PPS:
> <BR>I can post current version of map to group if somebody is interested.
> [...]

This is just to let you know what your post looks like to non-HTML
news readers, that is, to the vast majority of newsreaders.

It isn't very readable is it?

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=={MDLAM}==- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Ken Rice

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <35D74E44...@ikp.atm.com.pl>, rac...@ikp.atm.com.pl says...

><P>BrackWock Dragon wrote:

>I have decoded MD map to 1 tile:1 pixel at average color of each tile.

>There are some very interesting locations -monumenthal Gryphon's signature
>carved at polar cap at: x:311, y:060, z:0

>-something I called "Game flag testing area" - couple of locations

>with all objects, triggers, levers, items found in game (and some not
>found) at: x:07a, y:06b, z:0

>>-something I called "Weapon test area" - area with different kinds

>of terrain (sands, mountains, caverns), all types of monsters you can spot
>and all types of weapons you can beat them. At: x:236, y:3bf, z:0

>Now I work at decoding objects images and positions to make accurrate

>map with doors, levers, trees etc. placed where it should be.

>I can post current version of map to group if somebody is interested.

>It's about 170k in 1024x1024 jpeg.

It's not a good idea to post this to the newsgroup, but I would like you to
email a copy to me (address below). I sent you an email but am not sure if
the unobvious spam block was correctly removed.

Home Page: http://www.erols.com/kennrice
Featuring: Concentration Camp made from LEGO bricks
Maps Page: http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Featuring: Maps of Serpent Isle, Prophecy of the Shadow,
Savage Empire & Crusaders of the Dark Savant.

Warwick Clark

May 15, 2021, 12:46:09 AM5/15/21
On Friday, 31 July 1998 at 17:00:00 UTC+10, Bartholomew J. Melnicki wrote:
> I found strange place in Martian Dreams. When you teleport (using
> Alt-214) to x:5 y:5 z:0, you are
> in room without exit with wisp inside. It wants from you sample of soil
> used in growing martian bodies.
> When you bring that, it gives in exchange some not so useful hints about
> game plot. I wonder is it part
> of game or abandoned quest which is only reachable by cheat ?
> Overhead Dragon

I just wanted to say hello to 1998 from 23 years in the future..... Martian Dreams still a great game.

Tristan Miller

May 31, 2021, 7:50:46 AM5/31/21
Greetings.
Indeed it is! And I hoped you sent Bartłomiej Mełnicki a copy of your
reply, as I doubt he's still reading this group. (His rather excellent
U6/MD/SE web page seems to have gone AWOL ten or fifteen years ago,
though he's still active on Facebook at <https://www.facebook.com/rackne/>.)

Regards,
Tristan

--