the key of g demolished?

Polychromic

May 17, 2007, 7:30:06 AM5/17/07
Optician, or anyone else, know what this means? Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top
said you should always play in this key to another character on the show
"Bones" and I was wondering what it means.
--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macecil/

Optician Dragon

May 17, 2007, 8:06:45 AM5/17/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 06:30:06 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Optician, or anyone else, know what this means? Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top
>said you should always play in this key to another character on the show
>"Bones" and I was wondering what it means.

Never saw Bones so just out of context, a lot of ZZ Top's music is in
the key of G. Three frets up the neck. My old band played a lot in the
key of A, but that just better suited the singer's voice.
--
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon

Polychromic

May 17, 2007, 8:12:07 AM5/17/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 12:06:45 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 06:30:06 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Optician, or anyone else, know what this means? Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top
>>said you should always play in this key to another character on the show
>>"Bones" and I was wondering what it means.
>
>Never saw Bones so just out of context, a lot of ZZ Top's music is in
>the key of G. Three frets up the neck. My old band played a lot in the
>key of A, but that just better suited the singer's voice.

Okay, but what's the "demolished" part mean?

Optician Dragon

May 17, 2007, 4:43:38 PM5/17/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 07:12:07 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 12:06:45 GMT, Optician Dragon
><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 May 2007 06:30:06 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Optician, or anyone else, know what this means? Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top
>>>said you should always play in this key to another character on the show
>>>"Bones" and I was wondering what it means.
>>
>>Never saw Bones so just out of context, a lot of ZZ Top's music is in
>>the key of G. Three frets up the neck. My old band played a lot in the
>>key of A, but that just better suited the singer's voice.
>
>Okay, but what's the "demolished" part mean?

damfino

Polychromic

May 17, 2007, 4:59:48 PM5/17/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:43:38 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 07:12:07 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 May 2007 12:06:45 GMT, Optician Dragon
>><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>Never saw Bones so just out of context, a lot of ZZ Top's music is in
>>>the key of G. Three frets up the neck. My old band played a lot in the
>>>key of A, but that just better suited the singer's voice.
>>
>>Okay, but what's the "demolished" part mean?
>
>damfino

Thanks anyhow. Billy said it was only important if you already knew what
it was. I see a few references in Google, but nothing that really
explains it.

Optician Dragon

May 17, 2007, 8:03:44 PM5/17/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 15:59:48 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:43:38 GMT, Optician Dragon
><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 May 2007 07:12:07 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Okay, but what's the "demolished" part mean?
>>
>>damfino
>
>Thanks anyhow. Billy said it was only important if you already knew what
>it was. I see a few references in Google, but nothing that really
>explains it.

Umm, just had a thought - It could be a bastardization of the term G
Diminished

Polychromic

May 17, 2007, 8:59:15 PM5/17/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 00:03:44 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Umm, just had a thought - It could be a bastardization of the term G
>Diminished

If you want I can send you a 2.5MB clip where he says it.

Optician Dragon

May 17, 2007, 9:00:32 PM5/17/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:59:15 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 May 2007 00:03:44 GMT, Optician Dragon
><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Umm, just had a thought - It could be a bastardization of the term G
>>Diminished
>
>If you want I can send you a 2.5MB clip where he says it.

sure-it's probably a takeoff of diminished. Where's Mushie?
And where's Moa?

Optician Dragon

May 17, 2007, 9:02:38 PM5/17/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:00:32 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:59:15 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 May 2007 00:03:44 GMT, Optician Dragon
>><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Umm, just had a thought - It could be a bastardization of the term G
>>>Diminished
>>
>>If you want I can send you a 2.5MB clip where he says it.
>sure-it's probably a takeoff of diminished. Where's Mushie?
>And where's Moa?

And you're up to # 6 on Google
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+key+of+g+demolished&btnG=Google+Search

Polychromic

May 17, 2007, 11:53:30 PM5/17/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:02:38 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:00:32 GMT, Optician Dragon
><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:59:15 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>If you want I can send you a 2.5MB clip where he says it.
>>sure-it's probably a takeoff of diminished. Where's Mushie?
>>And where's Moa?
>

>And you're up to # 6 on Google
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+key+of+g+demolished&btnG=Google+Search

Whee! Tehy lurve me, tehy rly do!

Polychromic

May 17, 2007, 11:54:23 PM5/17/07
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:59:15 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 May 2007 00:03:44 GMT, Optician Dragon
>><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Umm, just had a thought - It could be a bastardization of the term G
>>>Diminished
>>
>>If you want I can send you a 2.5MB clip where he says it.
>sure-it's probably a takeoff of diminished. Where's Mushie?
>And where's Moa?

Okay. I don't know. Him either.

Optician Dragon

May 18, 2007, 5:08:12 PM5/18/07
On Thu, 17 May 2007 22:54:23 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:00:32 GMT, Optician Dragon
><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:59:15 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>If you want I can send you a 2.5MB clip where he says it.
>>sure-it's probably a takeoff of diminished. Where's Mushie?
>>And where's Moa?
>
>Okay. I don't know. Him either.

Watched the file.

I get it. I do.
If you don't, you don't.
:-)

Polychromic

May 18, 2007, 6:02:16 PM5/18/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:08:12 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 May 2007 22:54:23 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:00:32 GMT, Optician Dragon
>><dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>sure-it's probably a takeoff of diminished. Where's Mushie?
>>>And where's Moa?
>>
>>Okay. I don't know. Him either.
>
>Watched the file.
>
>I get it. I do.
>If you don't, you don't.
>:-)

Of course, both the people in that scene are from Texas. Next time I fly
down to the end of my driveway, I will flag down a pickup truck full of
gun-wielding migrant workers to carry a message to them and ask them
directly. So there!

Optician Dragon

May 18, 2007, 7:07:19 PM5/18/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:02:16 -0500, Polychromic <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

As long as there's some musicians in there.
Maybe you could find a Tex-Mex bar and ask the band.
Could it mean key of G-Drunk? G-Diminshed is a chord, not a key.

erimess

Jun 28, 2007, 3:18:16 AM6/28/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 23:07:19 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>Of course, both the people in that scene are from Texas. Next time I fly
>>down to the end of my driveway, I will flag down a pickup truck full of
>>gun-wielding migrant workers to carry a message to them and ask them
>>directly. So there!
>As long as there's some musicians in there.
>Maybe you could find a Tex-Mex bar and ask the band.
>Could it mean key of G-Drunk? G-Diminshed is a chord, not a key.

I think it means G-Drunk, since demolishing a piece of music might be
what you'd do if you played it really, really drunk. (Although
sometimes I play better drunk.) And despite that dimished is a type
of chord, not a key, it still works. Made perfect sense to me as a
pun. I thought it was pretty funny. (Never seen the show, but a
friend of mine watches it.)

Oh hello -- yes, I'm answering month old threads. Because as usually,
I've run off for a while.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa5

Never compare yourself to the best others can do,
but rather to the best you can do.

Pibbur

Jun 28, 2007, 3:53:13 AM6/28/07
På Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:18:16 +0200, skrev <erimess>:

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 23:07:19 GMT, Optician Dragon
> <dragonl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>> Of course, both the people in that scene are from Texas. Next time I
>>> fly
>>> down to the end of my driveway, I will flag down a pickup truck full of
>>> gun-wielding migrant workers to carry a message to them and ask them
>>> directly. So there!
>> As long as there's some musicians in there.
>> Maybe you could find a Tex-Mex bar and ask the band.
>> Could it mean key of G-Drunk? G-Diminshed is a chord, not a key.
>
> I think it means G-Drunk, since demolishing a piece of music might be
> what you'd do if you played it really, really drunk. (Although
> sometimes I play better drunk.)

In your own ears or in others ears?

> And despite that dimished is a type
> of chord, not a key, it still works. Made perfect sense to me as a
> pun. I thought it was pretty funny. (Never seen the show, but a
> friend of mine watches it.)
>
> Oh hello -- yes, I'm answering month old threads. Because as usually,
> I've run off for a while.

Erimess!!! Glad to have you back. While it lasts.

--
Pibbur Dragon ( -==UDIC==-)
d++ e++ u++ 4567'!S'!89! a52

erimess

Jun 28, 2007, 10:33:21 PM6/28/07
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:53:13 +0200, Pibbur
<oopsREM...@tele2ca.psno> wrote:

>På Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:18:16 +0200, skrev <erimess>:

>>> As long as there's some musicians in there.
>>> Maybe you could find a Tex-Mex bar and ask the band.
>>> Could it mean key of G-Drunk? G-Diminshed is a chord, not a key.
>>
>> I think it means G-Drunk, since demolishing a piece of music might be
>> what you'd do if you played it really, really drunk. (Although
>> sometimes I play better drunk.)
>
>In your own ears or in others ears?

It's difficult to play in my ear.

>> And despite that dimished is a type
>> of chord, not a key, it still works. Made perfect sense to me as a
>> pun. I thought it was pretty funny. (Never seen the show, but a
>> friend of mine watches it.)
>>
>> Oh hello -- yes, I'm answering month old threads. Because as usually,
>> I've run off for a while.
>>

>Erimess!!! Glad to have you back. While it lasts.

Hi! :-) Yes, while it lasts....

erimess

Jun 28, 2007, 10:36:52 PM6/28/07
wrote:

>Optician, or anyone else, know what this means? Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top

>said you should always play in this key to another character on the show
>"Bones" and I was wondering what it means.

Friend of mine watches this show religiously so I asked her. I will
skip her long explanation about the character in reference, other than
she can't make a committment and this guy's been pursuing her all
year, blah, blah. But this is the rest of what she said:

"Final episode, they are getting married. Her dad is a member of ZZ
Top.
The real guy from the band with the long beard is actually on the show
as
her dad, who on the show is also a member of ZZ Top. They have never
said
that outright, but it's understood. She says her dad is famous, but
keeps
quiet about it. Hodgkins gets to finally meet her dad as he's in the
studio
playing an electric guitar, without Angela there. Hodgkins decides to
be an
upstanding guy, and ask her dad for her hand in marriage. Her dad
laughs at
Hodgkins, and said he should know Angela would hate that, then goes on
say Hodkins better treat his little girl right. Then tells Hodgkins
to play
it in the key of G Demolished.

"G is slang for gangster (from hip-hop culture), also "G bitch" for a
sort of
prostitute or gangster girl, or also for friend as in "Yo G, what's
up?"
So...long meaning here, I took it as a double meaning - the ZZ Top guy
referring to music, and also to Angela transforming from a player to a
wife
(G demolished)."

Don't ask me. That's just what my friend said.

Polychromic

Jun 29, 2007, 12:49:05 AM6/29/07
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:33:21 -0400, erimess wrote:

>It's difficult to play in my ear.

Not really.
You just have to train your ears to be tough like guitar picks.

Polychromic

Jun 29, 2007, 12:50:29 AM6/29/07

Sounds rather contrived. I doubt he'd say that about his own daughter.

kogi...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2014, 3:53:00 PM4/30/14
Here is the answer :

The "Key of G-Demolished" is a simple play on words, it comes from the description of a musical scale, in this case, "G-Diminished." The earliest reference we could find credits it to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top fame. When discussing playing as the backing band for the likes of Bo Diddly and Chuck Berry, Billy said that they had to learn to play "off the cuff" because there was no set list and the main act would just call out a song to which Billy would say "What key?" and get the reply "Uh, G-Demolished."

Read more http://www.kgbanswers.com/what-is-the-key-of-g-demolished/18665657#ixzz30OviKBxD

ben1...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2014, 11:17:29 PM10/25/14
The ZZ Tops main singer and leader/ Angela's dad always said play "off the cuff." The media would always ask him what key is off the cuff and his answer is "ugh G Demolished."

cicche...@gmail.com

May 1, 2016, 6:01:16 PM5/1/16
It's a blues thing. It encompasses a lot of different things. Thoughts about life and music. That stuff I can't really explain but the basic musical idea is to take a key or a scale and just "demolish" it. Break all the rules, ignore the theory. Muddy Waters is a neat example. He could take a note, bend the crap out of it, and just play it for all it was worth. He could "say" more with that 1 note than most musicians say with 1000. As for the rest, you have to live it to learn it.

n.b.la...@gmail.com

May 26, 2018, 11:38:36 AM5/26/18
Lol... he needed something that sounded cool to say. It means nada.