*****SWORDS AT LOW PRICES*****

Samurai

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Mageborn (mage...@mindspring.com) inscribed the following words:

>>Japanese Swords - handcrafted by Japanese swordmaster.
>>Best prices on the net.
>
>Why no Chinese swords?

Because Japanese swords are cooler! >;D

Besides, it'd be a bit difficult for a Japanese swordsmith (which I'm
_sure_ the guy is :P ) to make Chinese swords, wouldn't it?
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

MdmeDis

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
In article <364ef024...@news.prestel.co.uk>,
Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk says...

> Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
> >Mageborn (mage...@mindspring.com) inscribed the following words:
>
> >>Japanese Swords - handcrafted by Japanese swordmaster.
> >>Best prices on the net.
> >
> >Why no Chinese swords?
>
> Because Japanese swords are cooler! >;D

But cannot, of course, compare to a nice scimitar.

--
Disoriented Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

D'ya ever have those days when you think
maybe its you, and not the rest of the world
that's fucked up?

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:42:59 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>>Why no Chinese swords?
>
>Because Japanese swords are cooler! >;D

-clip-

Actually, they're quite the same, since all come from the same
ancestor. Japanese swords are a bit closer to European swords, tho. Chinese
ones are not as sharp, as knives are the main slicing weapons. Most nice
Chinese swords are made of wood, after all...

-clip-

>Besides, it'd be a bit difficult for a Japanese swordsmith (which I'm
>_sure_ the guy is :P ) to make Chinese swords, wouldn't it?

-clip-

Hey, he's a master Japanese swordsmith! Masters are supposed to be able to
do anything!

Hopefully he won't be visiting me with one of his new creations anytime
soon.. :)

--
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | |

psz

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

MdmeDis <mdm...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<MPG.10b952eff...@news.alt.net>...

> In article <364ef024...@news.prestel.co.uk>,
> Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk says...
> > Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
> > >Mageborn (mage...@mindspring.com) inscribed the following words:

> > >Why no Chinese swords?
> >
> > Because Japanese swords are cooler! >;D
>

> But cannot, of course, compare to a nice scimitar.
>
> --
> Disoriented Dragon
> -==(UDIC)==-
>
> D'ya ever have those days when you think
> maybe its you, and not the rest of the world
> that's fucked up?

Yes, put the good old TH-Sword takes the cake(and slices it into itty bitty
pieces, too)

Sword flame war? Could get messy...

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
...FEH!

Oh, forget it, this is getting political. ;)

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Samurai

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following words:

>>>Why no Chinese swords?
>>
>>Because Japanese swords are cooler! >;D
>

>Actually, they're quite the same, since all come from the same
>ancestor. Japanese swords are a bit closer to European swords, tho.
>Chinese ones are not as sharp,

No indeed -- Japanese swords are more or less the sharpest in the
world, I believe, due to the special smithing techniques.

>as knives are the main slicing weapons.

Ah, didn't know that. Interesting.

>Most nice Chinese swords are made of wood, after all...

Well, the only sword I actually own is wooden, and that's a Japanese
bokken, so ... ;)

>>Besides, it'd be a bit difficult for a Japanese swordsmith (which
>> I'm _sure_ the guy is :P ) to make Chinese swords, wouldn't it?
>

>Hey, he's a master Japanese swordsmith! Masters are supposed to be
>able to do anything!
>
>Hopefully he won't be visiting me with one of his new creations
>anytime soon.. :)

Fear not. I rather suspect the guy lives further away from you than
Japan. The US, for example, given the nature of the original post in
the thread ...

Samurai

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Quoth mdm...@earthlink.net (MdmeDis):

>Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk says...
>> Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
[munch]

>> >Why no Chinese swords?
>>
>> Because Japanese swords are cooler! >;D
>

> But cannot, of course, compare to a nice scimitar.

We know your preference for curved ends, Mdme. >:D

Christopher A Tew

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk (Samurai) came back to Earth with this
great rock n' roll band:

>No indeed -- Japanese swords are more or less the sharpest in the
>world, I believe, due to the special smithing techniques.

The trick is finding a sword that is made by a swordsmith using
traditional techniques. Usually, you'll be looking for anitques, most
of which are still in Japan. After WW2, the Japanese government
embarked on a programme to get as many of the well-forged swords back
into the country. The gross majority of Japanese-style melee weapons
produced today are just stamped out from some sort of steel alloy.
They aren't nearly as sharp or strong as those swords that are
traditionally forged. Also, when the Shogunate took control of Japan
in the 17th century, many swordsmiths became blacksmiths in order to
pay the bills.

Basically, if you're looking to buy a good Japanese sword, you're
going to have to shell out the dough when you actually find one.

-Cat

--
Woof justice rules OK!
---tikicat at lvdi.net---

Destrius

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:47:20 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>No indeed -- Japanese swords are more or less the sharpest in the
>world, I believe, due to the special smithing techniques.

-clip-

That's what I meant. That Japanese swords are likely to be sharper.

-clip-

>>as knives are the main slicing weapons.
>
>Ah, didn't know that. Interesting.

-clip-

The sword is usually classified as a "yin" or feminine weapon because you
can't just take up a sword and kill somebody with brute strength. The
technique, timing, and accuracy must all be there.

Knives, however, are the favoured weapons of big hariy generals who roar
very loudly before severing your head.

-clip-

>Fear not. I rather suspect the guy lives further away from you than
>Japan. The US, for example, given the nature of the original post in
>the thread ...

-clip-

That's still just a plane fight away from me...

Christopher A Tew

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius) came back to Earth with this great rock n'
roll band:

>The sword is usually classified as a "yin" or feminine weapon because you

>can't just take up a sword and kill somebody with brute strength. The
>technique, timing, and accuracy must all be there.

Kinda depends on the sword. A 20 pound Claymore can wreak havoc even
in the hands of an untrained, yet buff, moron.

The weapon that truly takes alot of talent is the staff. In the hands
of a talented person, that weapon is *nasty*.

>Knives, however, are the favoured weapons of big hariy generals who roar
>very loudly before severing your head.

Funny, I thought that big hairy generals like to weild big hairy axes
in their big hairy hands.

"It's a weapon of mass destruction, and it's plesantly fuzzy!"

Samurai

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
[munch]

>Yes, put
^^^
"But", presumably? :)

>the good old TH-Sword takes the cake (and slices

>it into itty bitty pieces, too)

In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.

>Sword flame war? Could get messy...

:)

Samurai

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Quoth "Infinitron Dragon" <meln...@hotmail.com>:

>...FEH!
>
>Oh, forget it, this is getting political. ;)

*G* Still, we're all happy to dump politics at the drop of a hat if
there's a good innuendo we can get out of it instead. ;)

psz

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98

Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote in article
<36531d9...@news.prestel.co.uk>...

> Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
> [munch]
>
> >Yes, put
> ^^^
> "But", presumably? :)
>
> >the good old TH-Sword takes the cake (and slices
> >it into itty bitty pieces, too)
>
> In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
> Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.
>
> >Sword flame war? Could get messy...
>

> :)

> --
> \^\^//
> ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
> | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
> \ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
> \ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
> ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

I thought it was the other branch of this thread that involed sex...

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--
Phillip Zibilich \/
ps...@gnofn.org ps...@bellsouth.net

Plingiest Dragon and 6-2 on Othello on Weyrmount 2

Destrius

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:09:40 GMT,
the entity named Christopher A Tew (tik...@lv-nospam-di.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Kinda depends on the sword. A 20 pound Claymore can wreak havoc even
>in the hands of an untrained, yet buff, moron.

-clip-

Problem is most male morons would rather have delicate parts of their
anatomy cut off than use a weapon that doesn't show off their manliness. In
ancient China, at least. Don't know about those Zorro guys. :)

-clip-

>The weapon that truly takes alot of talent is the staff. In the hands
>of a talented person, that weapon is *nasty*.

-clip-

*G* I like the staff. It's a simply beautiful weapon, because its so
versatile. As they say, the simpler you get, the more powerful it becomes.

That's why I don't like gunnes. Where's the art in holding this little
piece of metal that does all the killing for you?

-clip-

>Funny, I thought that big hairy generals like to weild big hairy axes
>in their big hairy hands.
>
>"It's a weapon of mass destruction, and it's plesantly fuzzy!"

-clip-

Hmmm. Axes usually get used by woodcutters. You know, those mysterious
people who sing _very_ loud in the forest and are just aching for somebody
to complain so they can walk over and show off their great skills?

Generals probably find the axe too crass and "lower-class". Funny that they
don't realize the origins of your standard knife...

Samurai

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Quoth tik...@lv-nospam-di.net (Christopher A Tew):
>Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk (Samurai) came back to Earth with

>this great rock n' roll band:

>>No indeed -- Japanese swords are more or less the sharpest in the

>>world, I believe, due to the special smithing techniques.
>

>The trick is finding a sword that is made by a swordsmith using
>traditional techniques.

Oh, indeed. Many people don't realise, for example that proper
katanas have the blade and hilt joined together basically by four bits
of dowelling. Much maintenance required, or nasty accident could
result.

>Usually, you'll be looking for anitques, most of which are still in
>Japan. After WW2, the Japanese government embarked on a programme to
>get as many of the well-forged swords back into the country.

*nod* And who can blame them? The swords really do cross the
boundary between artifice and art.

>The gross majority of Japanese-style melee weapons produced today
>are just stamped out from some sort of steel alloy. They aren't
>nearly as sharp or strong as those swords that are traditionally
>forged.

And the balance is often wrong, yes. But the masses won't generally
know or care -- they just want something that looks cool on their
shelf. :P

>Also, when the Shogunate took control of Japan in the 17th century,
>many swordsmiths became blacksmiths in order to pay the bills.

Ah, interesting. I wasn't aware of that one. Something to do with
the banning of carried weapons, I take it?

>Basically, if you're looking to buy a good Japanese sword, you're
>going to have to shell out the dough when you actually find one.

I'm well aware of that one, unfortunate though it may be. A
four-figure sum will probably be required, if not more. <:)

Samurai

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following:

>>No indeed -- Japanese swords are more or less the sharpest in the
>>world, I believe, due to the special smithing techniques.
>

>That's what I meant. That Japanese swords are likely to be sharper.

I know you meant that. I just wanted to explain why. :)

>>>as knives are the main slicing weapons.
>>
>>Ah, didn't know that. Interesting.
>

>The sword is usually classified as a "yin" or feminine weapon because
>you can't just take up a sword and kill somebody with brute strength.

Well, it _is_ possible, as someone else has pointed out, but certainly
not so likely.

>The technique, timing, and accuracy must all be there.

And balance. Balance, not only of weapon but of user, is vital.

>Knives, however, are the favoured weapons of big hariy generals who
>roar very loudly before severing your head.

I'm surprised. In the days of hand-to-hanmd combat, generals normally
rode horses if they were fighting at all. Surely knives would be a
little too ... well, little, for that?

>>Fear not. I rather suspect the guy lives further away from you than
>>Japan. The US, for example, given the nature of the original post
>>in the thread ...
>

>That's still just a plane fight away from me...

Well, if it's any reassurance, I doubt the spammer is reading RGCUD
specifically. :)

Samurai

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
[munch]

>> In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
>> Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.
>>
>> >Sword flame war? Could get messy...
>> :)
>

>I thought it was the other branch of this thread that involed sex...

*chuckle*

Danar Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:09:40 GMT,
> the entity named Christopher A Tew (tik...@lv-nospam-di.net)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-
> >Kinda depends on the sword. A 20 pound Claymore can wreak havoc even
> >in the hands of an untrained, yet buff, moron.
> -clip-
>
> Problem is most male morons would rather have delicate parts of their
> anatomy cut off than use a weapon that doesn't show off their manliness. In
> ancient China, at least. Don't know about those Zorro guys. :)
>
> -clip-
> >The weapon that truly takes alot of talent is the staff. In the hands
> >of a talented person, that weapon is *nasty*.
> -clip-
>
> *G* I like the staff. It's a simply beautiful weapon, because its so
> versatile. As they say, the simpler you get, the more powerful it becomes.

I prefer a pair of Sai any day. Ok, ok, so I'm not a martial arts nut
but I do train and I listen to what my sensei has to say. Sai is pretty
good versus unarmed, sword and staff. You'd probably need a backup blade
if they had some knives though. What is good defense against a cream pie
though? A cantankerous attitude perhaps? =]

> That's why I don't like gunnes. Where's the art in holding this little
> piece of metal that does all the killing for you?

Unfortunately, winning a fight is rarely about honor or any such. I try
to think of it as a means to an end, if I have to throw dirt in that
guy's face (or even stoop to using a gun) to have any chance of stopping
him beating my friend then I think I might. The biggest problem is when
you find out that they also have a gun, you have suddenly raised the
stakes ever so high.

> -clip-
> >Funny, I thought that big hairy generals like to weild big hairy axes
> >in their big hairy hands.
> >
> >"It's a weapon of mass destruction, and it's plesantly fuzzy!"
> -clip-
>
> Hmmm. Axes usually get used by woodcutters. You know, those mysterious
> people who sing _very_ loud in the forest and are just aching for somebody
> to complain so they can walk over and show off their great skills?
>
> Generals probably find the axe too crass and "lower-class". Funny that they
> don't realize the origins of your standard knife...
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> | Destrius Dragon | |
> | Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
> | -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
> | Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
> | Website: | |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
> uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
> nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
> ---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

--
Danar Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Danar Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Just remember, if you are in a very traditional situation when buying a
good japanese sword, do not touch that blade! By tradition, if a blade
is touched by a person, it must also draw the blood of that person. It
is also good etiquette to only pull the sword about an inch out of its
scabbard. Any further might offend some Japanese people.

in the interest of safety, =]

--
Danar Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Vassago

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

LIAR!

This is not a japaness tradition, but a Fremen tradition!
Learn your history!

Vassago Dragon

Filarion (Martin Hirsch)

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

<Vassago holds up his Crysblade with pride>
<Gunfire and a scream is heard>

<A trooper with an autocannon,barrels still spinning walks in>

<Filarion Dragon, sitting on top of the now destroyed Sietch shakes
his head sadly>

Filarion Dragon -=UDIC=- .o0O)CinnaGuard(O0o.
Filarion_at_netcom_dot_ca

Hadaka Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:41:20 GMT,the Lazy one's esteemed associate
fila...@Styx.666 (Filarion (Martin Hirsch)) did speak:

God made Arrakis to test the faithful.
-Hadaka Dragon

Filarion (Martin Hirsch)

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:43:41 GMT, Had...@athome.com (Hadaka Dragon)
wrote:

>God made Arrakis to test the faithful.
>-Hadaka Dragon

Erm..Arrakis gets nuked in book 5 :P
Where were the faithful? :>

Destrius

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:50:27 +1100,
the entity named Danar Dragon (bo...@nsw.bigpond.net.au)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I prefer a pair of Sai any day. Ok, ok, so I'm not a martial arts nut
>but I do train and I listen to what my sensei has to say. Sai is pretty
>good versus unarmed, sword and staff. You'd probably need a backup blade
>if they had some knives though. What is good defense against a cream pie
>though? A cantankerous attitude perhaps? =]

-clip-

Sai? A Japanese weapon? Hmmm.

Incidentally, Sai is Hokkien for shit. Can be used in the same manner as
you could use shit. :)

-clip-

>Unfortunately, winning a fight is rarely about honor or any such. I try
>to think of it as a means to an end, if I have to throw dirt in that
>guy's face (or even stoop to using a gun) to have any chance of stopping
>him beating my friend then I think I might. The biggest problem is when
>you find out that they also have a gun, you have suddenly raised the
>stakes ever so high.
-clip-

What I mean is that martial arts are... well, arts. They have beauty and
form, as opposed to cruder but effective methods of killing people. If I
take up a martial arts, the main reason is because of its artistic beauty,
and not really for self-defence or to kill a person. Hydrogen bombs work
much better for such stuff. :)

Fortran Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
From the Void comes Vassago bearing this piece of Light...

> LIAR!
>
> This is not a japaness tradition, but a Fremen tradition!
> Learn your history!

Frank Herbert, like many good authors, *stole*. :)

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Danar Dragon

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
>Destrius wrote:
> What I mean is that martial arts are... well, arts. They have beauty and
> form, as opposed to cruder but effective methods of killing people. If I
> take up a martial arts, the main reason is because of its artistic beauty,
> and not really for self-defence or to kill a person. Hydrogen bombs work
> much better for such stuff. :)

So true, my sensei looks very cool when he moves around. For the best
thing my martial art taught me, I shall now present a version of the
"Saotome Secret Technique" (yes, from Ranma)

*runs away fast*

--
Danar Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Danar Dragon

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
*bows deeply*

I have no intention of deceit. I was informed of this tradition by a
high ranking Ninjutsu teacher. Please forgive and educate me =]

--
Danar Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Allan Olley

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
On 19 Nov 1998 14:54:18 GMT, u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius) wrote:
>Hmmm. Axes usually get used by woodcutters. You know, those mysterious
>people who sing _very_ loud in the forest and are just aching for somebody
>to complain so they can walk over and show off their great skills?
>Generals probably find the axe too crass and "lower-class". Funny that they
>don't realize the origins of your standard knife...

Personally, I think the Axe along with the club have an appeal for
their simplicity, you swing real hard and whack something. In terms
of fantasy I find the axe very appealing for some reason both the
throwing axe and battle axe. I got the impression that the axe is a
hard weapon to use well. In real life I find an axe scary, although I
must admit to being apprehensive about any weapon (even blunt
objects).
--
d e- N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!6A78! u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP nI+
nPT nS+ nT- y- a19

Destrius

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:59:53 +1100,
the entity named Danar Dragon (bo...@nsw.bigpond.net.au)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>So true, my sensei looks very cool when he moves around. For the best
>thing my martial art taught me, I shall now present a version of the
>"Saotome Secret Technique" (yes, from Ranma)
>
>*runs away fast*

-clip-

Isn't that the 36th Strategem?

Destrius

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 25 Nov 1998 03:46:26 GMT,
the entity named Allan Olley (aol...@accglobal.nospam.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Personally, I think the Axe along with the club have an appeal for
>their simplicity, you swing real hard and whack something. In terms
>of fantasy I find the axe very appealing for some reason both the
>throwing axe and battle axe. I got the impression that the axe is a
>hard weapon to use well. In real life I find an axe scary, although I
>must admit to being apprehensive about any weapon (even blunt
>objects).

-clip-

An axe is a nice trusty weapon that ensures your enemies head gets cut
off. Much more direct than one of those pesky sword thingies that you wave
and swing all over the place hoping to strike some vitals. :)

But I still like my staff. :)

Hadaka Dragon

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:59:53 +1100,the Lazy one's esteemed associate
Danar Dragon <bo...@nsw.bigpond.net.au> did speak:

>>Destrius wrote:
>> What I mean is that martial arts are... well, arts. They have beauty and
>> form, as opposed to cruder but effective methods of killing people. If I
>> take up a martial arts, the main reason is because of its artistic beauty,
>> and not really for self-defence or to kill a person. Hydrogen bombs work
>> much better for such stuff. :)
>

>So true, my sensei looks very cool when he moves around. For the best
>thing my martial art taught me, I shall now present a version of the
>"Saotome Secret Technique" (yes, from Ranma)
>
>*runs away fast*
>

>--
>Danar Dragon
>-==(UDIC)==-
The funniest seen in all of Ranmadom is when after a stirring pep talk
Genma splashes water on himself, starts playing with a ball and holds
up a sign that says"Behold my True Nature" ROTFL!!

But anyway, one of the best bits of advice my uncle gave me about
fighting is to hit hard and fast, then run away. It's served me well
on many an occasion.
-Hadaka Dragon

Hadaka Dragon

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:05:52 GMT,the Lazy one's esteemed associate

fila...@Styx.666 (Filarion (Martin Hirsch)) did speak:

>On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:43:41 GMT, Had...@athome.com (Hadaka Dragon)

Long dead and gone. Even Fremen society changes

Allan Olley

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:59:53 +1100, Danar Dragon
<bo...@nsw.bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>So true, my sensei looks very cool when he moves around. For the best
>thing my martial art taught me, I shall now present a version of the
>"Saotome Secret Technique" (yes, from Ranma)
>*runs away fast*

This is also, apparently the most important self-defense technique
according to what Bruce Lee taught his wife. Personally, if I ever
study the martial arts I think that is the technique I will try to
master.

In the words of Arthur King of the Britons "RUNAWAY! RUNAWAY!"

Allan Olley

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

Another important tradition (not Japanese), I seem to recall if you
give someone a knife or scissors (or presumably a sword) you should
give them a penny (I think) to make sure you do not cut your bond of
friendship. I think this is an English tradition, although my memory
is fuzzy, I am pretty sure my parents did it once.

Paul Ryan

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Allan Olley Arise from the Depths...

> On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:59:53 +1100, Danar Dragon
> <bo...@nsw.bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> >*runs away fast*
>
> This is also, apparently the most important self-defense technique
> according to what Bruce Lee taught his wife. Personally, if I ever
> study the martial arts I think that is the technique I will try to
> master.
>
> In the words of Arthur King of the Britons "RUNAWAY! RUNAWAY!"

If you want a true master of that art, then seek out the wizzard
Rincewind, who has escaped everything except the Lady so far.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Destrius

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:51:47 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
>Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.

-clip-

Like the one Cloud uses?

--
+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- |

Destrius

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:37:12 +1300,
the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>If you want a true master of that art, then seek out the wizzard
>Rincewind, who has escaped everything except the Lady so far.

-clip-

In which book does he return?

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
On 26 Nov 1998 16:22:35 GMT, u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius) wrote:

>...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:51:47 GMT,
> the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)

> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
>-clip-

>>In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
>>Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.
>-clip-
>
>Like the one Cloud uses?
>

>--
>+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
>| Destrius Dragon | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- |
>| Official Mad Mage | Web: http://destrius.simplenet.com |
>| -=*[~UDIC~]*=- | Email: d e s t r i u s @ g e o c i t i e s . c o m |
>+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
>| "Am I dreaming of a butterfly, or is the butterfly dreaming of me...?" |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

That was a big meat cleaver. ;)

Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
--------------
d++ e+ N+ T+ Om++ U1!24!56!7'!S'!8!KALW!M
u+ uC++ uF++ uG+++ uLB+ uA+ nC+ nR- nH nP+ nI++
nPT nS+++ nT-- wM++ wC+++ wS+ wI-- wN o oA y+ 16
--------------
"Zug!"

Paul Ryan

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Destrius Arise from the Depths...

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:37:12 +1300,
> the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-
> >If you want a true master of that art, then seek out the wizzard
> >Rincewind, who has escaped everything except the Lady so far.
> -clip-
>
> In which book does he return?

The one you're going to be waiting 6 months for. The Last Continent.

Destrius

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 27 Nov 1998 05:36:20 +1300,
the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>> In which book does he return?
>
>The one you're going to be waiting 6 months for. The Last Continent.

-clip-

As I suspected. Grr. I think a trip to amazon.com may be worthwhile
someday...

Well-Dressed

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

Samurai wrote in message <36531d9...@news.prestel.co.uk>...

>In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
>Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.

That would be something to keep under your car seat. In case some jerk wants
to cause some trouble.

WD

Samurai

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz) inscribed the following:
[munch]

>The Last Continent.

>As I suspected. Grr. I think a trip to amazon.com may be worthwhile
>someday...

You'll probably miss a good quantity of the jokes unless you start
familiarising yourself with Australian culture (well, 'culture' ;)
though.

A few episodes of 'Neighbours' should do the trick. *VBEG*

Samurai

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
[munch]

>An axe is a nice trusty weapon that ensures your enemies head gets
>cut off. Much more direct than one of those pesky sword thingies
>that you wave and swing all over the place hoping to strike some
>vitals. :)

Some of the techniques in Japanese swordplay are designed to split an
opponent skull to waist. Sounds pretty axe-like to me! :)

>But I still like my staff. :)

Staves are brilliant weapons. Easy to make, easy to underestimate,
with a long reach and some very powerful techniques. Apart from the
katana, the jo (4' oak staff, slightly tapered at the ends) is
probably my favourite weapon.

Samurai

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following:

>>In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
>>Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.
>

>Like the one Cloud uses?

Cloud? Is this an Ultima reference I should know but don't? <:)

Allan Olley

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:04:44 GMT, Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk
(Samurai) wrote:
>Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following:
>>>In fact, perhaps the largest two-handed sword in the world _was_
>>>Japanese, the no-dachi. Some examples were 6' long.
>>Like the one Cloud uses?
>Cloud? Is this an Ultima reference I should know but don't? <:)

I think he is the hero of FFVII (I could be wrong).

Paul Ryan

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Samurai Arise from the Depths...

> You'll probably miss a good quantity of the jokes unless you start
> familiarising yourself with Australian culture (well, 'culture' ;)
> though.

Don't you mean 'culchya'?
The only point where it doesn't quite ring true is the lack of New
Zealand put downs (at least when looked at from a NZer's view of
Aussies.)

> A few episodes of 'Neighbours' should do the trick. *VBEG*

Paulon tries not to throw up at the thought.

Destrius

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:04:36 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Staves are brilliant weapons. Easy to make, easy to underestimate,
>with a long reach and some very powerful techniques. Apart from the
>katana, the jo (4' oak staff, slightly tapered at the ends) is
>probably my favourite weapon.

-clip-

Also, once you learn how to use a staff, you can use practically anything
as a weapon. Stuck in an alley confronted by a group of thugs? Grab that
mop on the floor and do some cleaning! :)