Well, that kinda explains it all with Chessgirl

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Ophidian Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> OK, so here's a request for a new bit of advice: Assuming that
> eventually I do get to talking to Chessgirl again (We'll skip that part,
> 'cause everyone has already told me how to do that even if I don't
> listen), how would I deal with the fact that she isn't interested in
> romance? I mean, I want to ensure that we'd stay friends.....But how
> would I turn that into a romantic type thing given that she claims that
> she doesn't want a boyfriend?

You can't. That is a decision only she can make. All you can do
is be the best person you are capable of being and just hope that it is
what interests her.

Also, trying to turn a friendship into a romance when she says she
isn't interested doesn't say much for your regards about her opinions and
desires for herself. When you truly love a person you want to make them
happy, not force-fit them into a pattern you want.

> Anyway, it's good to know that it's not all my fault :-) Though it does
> not explain why she doesn't respond to my mail....But I can ask her dad
> if it ever got to her. It's strange.....Now that romantic involvement
> is (at least temporarily) out of the picture, thinking about talking to
> her seems much more natural than before. Wacky.

Experience.

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Fortran Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Gee, that was a nice thing for me to read. So you are telling people, 'don't get
> married because you will end up getting divorced?'

Just how long have you been married, hmm?

Well-Dressed comments are pretty accurate. Being in love doesn't
magically make a marriage work. It takes a *lot* of time, effort, and
tolerance to have a successful marriage.

> Or are you thinking that
> people get married for money, power, etc?

Some people do. Their choice.

> The way you make it sound, it sounds like you've never actually fallen in love
> before. Or perhaps, doesn't want to fall in love, for fear of what they may
> find?

Wouldn't you rather know what causes most marriages to fail and be
able to doing something constructive about it rather than blindly
trusting in love or luck?

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

I think I know that already. Marrage takes work. I know that. But if you don't -love-
the person to begin with, why would you want to work with them towards something.

I think now I'm tired of getting stepped on by people. Why the hell should I have to
be alone and suffer for the rest of my life, hmm?

--
Nuitari Dragon -=<UDIC>=-
--==<UnSplut>==--

Fortran Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Gee, thanks for destroying my nice dream for me. I think I'll just run off and be
> depressed now.

Don't be depressed. Use the knowledge you've been given to
*avoid* the mistakes others have made. We _want_ your marriage to be
successful -- that's why we are telling you this stuff.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> I think I know that already. Marrage takes work. I know that. But if you don't -love-
> the person to begin with, why would you want to work with them towards something.

Because they have something you want, like power, money, or fame?
People get married for all types of reasons, many of which have little to
do with love.

Just look at how many people marry because the woman is pregnant.

Anyway, I married for love and I still firmly believe you should
only be in a relationship for love. That doesn't blind me though to the
things I need to do in a relationship for it to be successful. Love by
itself doesn't automagically make the relationship work.

> I think now I'm tired of getting stepped on by people. Why the hell should I have to
> be alone and suffer for the rest of my life, hmm?

Only you can decide that. All we are pointing out is that in
takes more than love alone to make a successful relationship. You have
to water it, nurture it, care for it for the rest of your life for it to
be successful.

Samurai

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Quoth "Well-Dressed" <well_d...@leavethisout.hotmail.com>:
[munch]

>That saved me some typing. I think about 99% of marriages, after
>twenty years, are either already finished, about to be finished,
>involve two people too insecure to finish it, or isn't finished
>because of the kids. Then there's the 1% that's either True Love
>or a mutually agreed sharing of resources that works out well
>enough for all parties involved. When it comes to True Love
>marriages, it's interesting to note that most of these couples
>don't have kids.

Well, my parents do, and thank the gods they're in that 1%. *beam*
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Fortran Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one -positive- thing
> about marriage. That's all.

<self quote>

Anyway, I married for love and I still firmly believe you should
only be in a relationship for love.

</self quote>

<self quote>

Use the knowledge you've been given to *avoid* the mistakes others
have made. We _want_ your marriage to be successful -- that's why we are
telling you this stuff.

</self quote>

Heh. Speaking only for myself, I believe I *did* say positive
things. So, are you willing to listen to what we are actually saying or
do you want to continue your little pity party?

(Yeah, I know I'm being harsh and I'm sure Shodan would like to
tear me a new asshole about now, but dammit! we are trying to help the
two of you to have a successful marriage.)

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

You might be trying to help, but it seems to me that you are trying to ram the
stuff into my head. Positive is negative to me and vice versa. Ohwell. :>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> You might be trying to help, but it seems to me that you are trying to ram the
> stuff into my head.

Right. It is kind of hard to force any of this stuff off on you
considering how easy it is for you to ignore what everyone says.

All everyone was trying to do is give you and Shodan an honest
appraisal of marriage. If you view marriage through rose-colored glasses
you'll be wondering why those glasses are broken a few years down the
line. If you know _up front_ what it takes to have a LIFE LONG
commitment *alive*, then you just might be able to live that wonderful
dream and have the greatest experience any two people can share.

I'm in the greatest relationship of my life. It *exceeds*
anything I ever dreamed of. Why? Because I learned from my mistakes and
can now approach a life long commitment and/or marriage with the
necessary skills and heart to make my side of it work.

I just wish I hadn't of learned those lessons the hard way and at
someone else's expense.

Again, they were a 'don't do this and definitely do that' type of
suggestions so that you would have a fighting chance to realize your
dreams.

> Positive is negative to me and vice versa. Ohwell. :>

Are you saying that you suffer from low self-esteem? That is you
view people with contempt if they don't treat you like crap?

Fortran Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> I still have the great idea in my head that love will conquer all. Or is that
> wrong?

Unless you two are absolutely compatible to the point that you can
finish each others sentences, can't lie (that is, both of you know each
other so well that you can read each other like a book), and have a
number of years experience living with someone, no, love won't conquer
all.

You can love someone to pieces, but be unable to live with them
day in and day out, year after year, child after child.

Consider love a pair of trees that the two of you are trying to
grow into one tree. If you let "love conquer all" then you choose to let
the trees grow untended and only luck will see the trees survive to be
one.

What we are trying to show you is how to husband those trees, how
to tend the garden, how to fertilize the trees with the right manure, how
to deal with storms, etc.. It takes time and effort to grow two trees
into one and we want to help you do it right.

And that means getting your hands dirty and dealing with the
reality of trees.

> And what the heck are three monkies?

See no evil, hear no evil, see no evil.

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

<munch>

> > Positive is negative to me and vice versa. Ohwell. :>
>
> Are you saying that you suffer from low self-esteem? That is you
> view people with contempt if they don't treat you like crap?
>

> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
myself.

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:<chomp>

> > Positive is negative to me and vice versa. Ohwell. :>
>
> Are you saying that you suffer from low self-esteem? That is you
> view people with contempt if they don't treat you like crap?
>
> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

I hit send too fast. And another thing. Its not contempt, its more like suspision.
No offence.

MdmeDis

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
In article <36530CF1...@ecs.syr.edu>, klk...@ecs.syr.edu says...

> Fortran Dragon wrote:
>
> > From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> > [Snip]
> > > I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one -positive- thing
> > > about marriage. That's all.
> >
> > <self quote>
> >
> > Anyway, I married for love and I still firmly believe you should
> > only be in a relationship for love.
> >
> > </self quote>
> >
> > <self quote>
> >
> > Use the knowledge you've been given to *avoid* the mistakes others
> > have made. We _want_ your marriage to be successful -- that's why we are
> > telling you this stuff.
> >
> > </self quote>
> >
> > Heh. Speaking only for myself, I believe I *did* say positive
> > things. So, are you willing to listen to what we are actually saying or
> > do you want to continue your little pity party?
> >
> > (Yeah, I know I'm being harsh and I'm sure Shodan would like to
> > tear me a new asshole about now, but dammit! we are trying to help the
> > two of you to have a successful marriage.)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> > -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> > Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> > rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>
>
> You might be trying to help, but it seems to me that you are trying to ram the
> stuff into my head. Positive is negative to me and vice versa. Ohwell. :>

At the outset, I was responding to someone, WD I think, who voiced the
opinion marriage wasn't all a bed of roses - you disagreed with him, I
agreed with him. This apparently sent you into a depression, so I tried
to say hey - marriage is fine if you realize statistically most fail,
and avoid some of the things that cause the failure. I foolishly thought
when you asked if love conquered all that you actually wanted an answer.
I will cancel forthwith. Heaven forbid I cram anything down your throat.
Marriage is wonderful, and I'm quite sure Shodan will be able to play
the Knight in Shining armour for the next - what - fifty years without
missing a beat.

--
Disoriented Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

D'ya ever have those days when you think
maybe its you, and not the rest of the world
that's fucked up?

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
MdmeDis wrote:

Our relationship isn't a bed of roses. We have our fights and disagreements too. But
guess what, we -talk- it out! Isn't that wonderful? Now, I know they take alot of work.
I'm willing. He's willing. Okay? What more do you want me to say?

MdmeDis

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
In article <3653322D...@ecs.syr.edu>, klk...@ecs.syr.edu says...

> Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
> but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
> swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
> myself.

Only if you choose to let it. You are an adult (I assume) and therefore
can now decide whether she was right or wrong.

Ophidian Dragon

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
to Fortran Dragon
Fortran Dragon wrote:

> Heh. Speaking only for myself, I believe I *did* say positive
> things. So, are you willing to listen to what we are actually saying >or do you want to continue your little pity party?

I think you're problem is that you've been telling her what NOT to do,
but haven't give any idea of what to do, PROactively. Of course, I
haven't followed the thread, so I dunno :-)

-Ophidian Dragon

Well-Dressed

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
>Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
>but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
>swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
>myself.

I am sorry to hear that... I've been there too. It's tough to not let
it bother you, but I've become strong and independant enough over the
last few years to reach that point. And I think it's been the biggest
victory of my life.

I don't want to interfere with anything, only share my thoughts: maybe
it'd not be the best thing for you now to become dependant on someone
else. Not yet. Become fully independant and learn to believe in
yourself first. Don't use marriage for escapism. That would only cause
you and Shodan a lot of pain in the end.

Don't hate me for sharing. Have a good, long talk with Shodan, and try
to figure out where you are. That might be a lot harder than it
appears on the surface. The fact that you and Shodan bring up your
youth when confronted even superficially with marriage may be a hint
that there's more than meets the eye.

Good luck, Nuitari. I mean that. Be careful.
Sven/Well-Dressed

Samurai

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Quoth Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m>:
>Nuitari Dragon wrote:

>> I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one
>>-positive- thing about marriage. That's all.
>

>My parents have ben married for about 25 years now, and they're
>pretty happy.

*nod* Mine too. Despite outside trials and tribulations, my parents
have remained very much in love, and perhaps even more importantly,
best friends.

As I said before, I consider myself most fortunate I have a functional
family. ;)

Allan Olley

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:14:54 -0500, mdm...@earthlink.net (MdmeDis)
wrote:
>> Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
>> but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
>> swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
>> myself.
>Only if you choose to let it. You are an adult (I assume) and therefore
>can now decide whether she was right or wrong.

Mdme, are you trying to say we have complete control over the
attitudes, responses, and self-image that have been learned and built
up over a huge amount of our lives just by snapping our fingers and
making a chose? If so I have to respectfully disagree, IMO the
behaviours we have learned through are lives can exert a profound and
uncontrolable effect on us. In some cases I would think that to ask
someone to suppress them is equivalent to asking them to suppress
physical pain. I am not saying it is impossible, just that it may
well be bloody hard.

To Nuitari, I have to say, that I do not know what to say, just being
shy and awkward around my peers has given my self-esteem a good whack
in my short life, I can not imagine what you must have gone through.
I think you've brought a little happiness into everyone's life on the
RGCUD by posting here. Keep trying to believe in yourself more and I
think you can succeed(sp), good luck.
--
d e- N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!6A78! u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP nI+
nPT nS+ nT- y- a19

Allan Olley

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
(Samurai) wrote:
>Quoth Ophidian Dragon
>>Nuitari Dragon wrote:
>>> I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one
>>>-positive- thing about marriage. That's all.
>>My parents have ben married for about 25 years now, and they're
>>pretty happy.
>*nod* Mine too. Despite outside trials and tribulations, my parents
>have remained very much in love, and perhaps even more importantly,
>best friends.
>As I said before, I consider myself most fortunate I have a functional
>family. ;)

Well, I have an account much similiar to the first two, I think my
parents are beast friends in addition to being in love.

I have to say I consider myself extremely fortunate in my parents who
are the best I could possibly imagine.

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Ooh, the gloating of the lucky. ;)

My parents are okay, I guess.

Wonder if has anything to do with socio-economic status...

* eyes the big minus in family bank account *

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Samurai wrote in message <365360c4...@news.prestel.co.uk>...

>Quoth Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m>:

>>Nuitari Dragon wrote:
>
>>> I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one
>>>-positive- thing about marriage. That's all.
>>
>>My parents have ben married for about 25 years now, and they're
>>pretty happy.
>
>*nod* Mine too. Despite outside trials and tribulations, my parents
>have remained very much in love, and perhaps even more importantly,
>best friends.
>
>As I said before, I consider myself most fortunate I have a functional
>family. ;)

Matthew Filla

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:54:50 GMT,
aol...@accglobal.it.might.help.if.you.remove.this.phrase.net (Allan
Olley) wrote:

>Well, I have an account much similiar to the first two, I think my
>parents are beast friends in addition to being in love.

^^^^^
<snicker> It sounds like your parents are Tarzan and Jane...

>I have to say I consider myself extremely fortunate in my parents who
>are the best I could possibly imagine.

I didn't realize how truly cool my parents were until I went to
college and heard about other people's parents. (Most of my high
school friends had relatively cool parents as well.) Plus I was
probably old enough at that point to appreciate them.

Although it's all in the perspective, I guess. Before I met my college
girlfriend's parents, I had heard all these stories about how annoying
they were from her. They turned out to be perfectly nice people with
whom I got along very well (certainly better than I did with my
girlfriend later in our relationship). I may be biased here - they did
take me along on a family trip to the Bahamas - twice.

Matt
--
Consulting Dragon -==(UDIC)==- |"Evangelists tend to think that
(aka Matthew Filla) | religion should be spread like

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Well-Dressed wrote:

> >Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
> >but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
> >swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
> >myself.
>

> I am sorry to hear that... I've been there too. It's tough to not let
> it bother you, but I've become strong and independant enough over the
> last few years to reach that point. And I think it's been the biggest
> victory of my life.
>
> I don't want to interfere with anything, only share my thoughts: maybe
> it'd not be the best thing for you now to become dependant on someone
> else. Not yet. Become fully independant and learn to believe in
> yourself first. Don't use marriage for escapism. That would only cause
> you and Shodan a lot of pain in the end.
>
> Don't hate me for sharing. Have a good, long talk with Shodan, and try
> to figure out where you are. That might be a lot harder than it
> appears on the surface. The fact that you and Shodan bring up your
> youth when confronted even superficially with marriage may be a hint
> that there's more than meets the eye.
>
> Good luck, Nuitari. I mean that. Be careful.
> Sven/Well-Dressed

How do you not let it get to you...? I try, very very hard just to ignore her. It doesn't
work. When I'm not ready to snap her head off I'm still thinking of remarks to say
back... ugh. And the cycle starts again every day. I'm sick of fighting with that woman.

It used to be like, push her buttons and watch the fireworks go. Now I don't do anything
and they go off by themselves.

Any advice for dealing with her, until I am able to get out of the house? Without her
signature, I can't get aid for college. I don't really want to lose all that money.

MdmeDis

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
In article <3653a2de...@news.accglobal.net>,
aol...@accglobal.it.might.help.if.you.remove.this.phrase.net says...

> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:14:54 -0500, mdm...@earthlink.net (MdmeDis)
> wrote:
> >In article <3653322D...@ecs.syr.edu>, klk...@ecs.syr.edu says...
> >> Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
> >> but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
> >> swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
> >> myself.
> >Only if you choose to let it. You are an adult (I assume) and therefore
> >can now decide whether she was right or wrong.
>
> Mdme, are you trying to say we have complete control over the
> attitudes, responses, and self-image that have been learned and built
> up over a huge amount of our lives just by snapping our fingers and
> making a chose? If so I have to respectfully disagree, IMO the
> behaviours we have learned through are lives can exert a profound and
> uncontrolable effect on us. In some cases I would think that to ask
> someone to suppress them is equivalent to asking them to suppress
> physical pain. I am not saying it is impossible, just that it may
> well be bloody hard.

I agree in total, absolutely and completely - practically impossible in
most cases without some help. I would say it and overcoming a physical
addiction are pretty much on a par. However, both are ultimately a
matter of choice - Some addicts prefer to remain addicted, and some
people with low self esteem prefer to remain that way and play upon
people's sympathies as a coping strategy.

I know what I said came across as harsh, but I believe that telling a
person with low self esteem "you are really a wonderful person" is about
as effective as saying "you need to cheer up" to a clinically depressed
person. I realize to some extent the profound effect that parental
opinion has on one in the formative years - my mother daily informed me
she wished she'd had a boy, and I think possibly that is at the root of
my attitude toward women. Being me, and not predisposed to thinking
everything is my fault, I wound up thinking women were inferior, and
everything that happened subsequently I twisted to fit that picture. It
still gets away from me periodically - witness some of my anti-feminist
rants.

I wasn't suggesting for a second suppressing anything - but as I said
to Skeptical, what your parents did was terrible, but they are gone and
you are left with the problem. You are the only one left that can alter
anything. Nuitari recognises that it was her mother that instilled these
feelings in her, now it is up to Nuitari, the adult Nuitari, to choose
whether she lives by her mother's standards, or sets her own. It won't
happen overnight - the passage to adulthood takes many tears (I meant to
type years, but tears is good too) and for each of us presents a
different set of demons.

Destrius

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:27:43 -0600,
the entity named Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

> (Yeah, I know I'm being harsh and I'm sure Shodan would like to
>tear me a new asshole about now, but dammit! we are trying to help the
>two of you to have a successful marriage.)

-clip-

And you should realize that all of us are going to turn up on your wedding
day! :)

btw, are you thinking of holding something in the Weyr too?

--
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | |

Destrius

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:46:37 -0500,
the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have
>brought nothing but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a
>little <insert favourite swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every
>day tends to wear down my belief in myself.

-clip-

*sniff*

Destrius tries to comfort Nuitari.

Well, at least you have us. The world's largest support group!

Destrius

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:47:52 -0500,
the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I hit send too fast. And another thing. Its not contempt, its more like
>suspision. No offence.

-clip-

'Tis no wonder you peer at me so often, then. :)

Destrius

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:24:38 -0600,
the entity named Ophidian Dragon (@hotmail.cm)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I think you're problem is that you've been telling her what NOT to do,
>but haven't give any idea of what to do, PROactively. Of course, I
>haven't followed the thread, so I dunno :-)

-clip-

You do have experience in un-accepting suggestions, don't you? :)

Fortran Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
> but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
> swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
> myself.

Are you going to let your mother run (and ruin) your entire life?
Are you going to grow up and live your own life? Like a person that is
clinically depression, it isn't easy to fix what is wrong, but the
possibility of a cure is there if you reach out for it and try.

Anyway, you can't blame your mother forever. Eventually people
are going to get tired of it and will start expecting you to *do*
something about it.

The choice is yours.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> How do you not let it get to you...? I try, very very hard just to ignore her. It doesn't
> work. When I'm not ready to snap her head off I'm still thinking of remarks to say
> back... ugh. And the cycle starts again every day. I'm sick of fighting with that woman.
>
> It used to be like, push her buttons and watch the fireworks go. Now I don't do anything
> and they go off by themselves.
>
> Any advice for dealing with her, until I am able to get out of the house? Without her
> signature, I can't get aid for college. I don't really want to lose all that money.

As tough as it sounds you need to accept that she has her opinions
and her opinions have *nothing* to do with your worth as a person. As a
human being your mother can be quite wrong, but it is hard to ignore what
your parents say.

Basically, I think your mother is blaming you for her own
mistakes. Instead of accepting the responsibility for her actions she's
transferred the guilt or anger she feels to you. Perhaps your mother
wanted her marriage to be a certain way and when that didn't happen
according to her plan, maybe she had unrealistic expectations of your
father (or he, of her), or it could be that he betrayed her in a way that
struck at her very core.

I think the best you can do is simply ignore what she says and do
what you think is best. If she is a very controlling type of person then
that is the only way to break her grip on you. Fighting with her won't
help because you aren't going to be able to do anything about her
opinions.

Acceptance can be a key to helping yourself. If you accept your
mother for herself, flaws and all, then you can move yourself beyond her
image of you. As long as you keep trying to win her approval you will be
letting her set your self-image.

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

> From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> [Snip]

> > Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have brought nothing
> > but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a little <insert favourite
> > swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every day tends to wear down my belief in
> > myself.
>
> Are you going to let your mother run (and ruin) your entire life?
> Are you going to grow up and live your own life? Like a person that is
> clinically depression, it isn't easy to fix what is wrong, but the
> possibility of a cure is there if you reach out for it and try.
>
> Anyway, you can't blame your mother forever. Eventually people
> are going to get tired of it and will start expecting you to *do*
> something about it.
>
> The choice is yours.
>

> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

Um. I really can't fix much until I am able to get out of my house. I can't leave. If I
leave then I can't go to college. I can't pay for it myself, and SU won't let me claim
financial independence.

She does not run my life. I'm not as subserviant as she wants me to be. She's empty. Very
empty. My father took her away from her country, and left her for another woman. Some
people never get over things. So she tries to live through me. Do not judge me on things
you don't know about.

You don't know the whole story, and I'm not going to bore you with the details unless you
really want me to.

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:27:43 -0600,
> the entity named Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net)

> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-

> > (Yeah, I know I'm being harsh and I'm sure Shodan would like to
> >tear me a new asshole about now, but dammit! we are trying to help the
> >two of you to have a successful marriage.)
> -clip-
>
> And you should realize that all of us are going to turn up on your wedding
> day! :)
>
> btw, are you thinking of holding something in the Weyr too?
>

> --
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> | Destrius Dragon | |
> | Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
> | -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
> | Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
> | Website: | |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
> uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
> nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
> ---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

I already got married on Weyr 1. Tho, maybe we might plan on another one. :>

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:46:37 -0500,

> the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)

> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-

> >Having a mother that tells you from the day you were born: "You have
> >brought nothing but misery to my life, and everyone elses" and "You are a
> >little <insert favourite swear word here> and shouldn't be around" every
> >day tends to wear down my belief in myself.

> -clip-
>
> *sniff*
>
> Destrius tries to comfort Nuitari.
>
> Well, at least you have us. The world's largest support group!
>

> --
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> | Destrius Dragon | |
> | Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
> | -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
> | Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
> | Website: | |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
> uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
> nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
> ---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

Better than a shrink, ye all are! Well, most of you. ;>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> I hit send too fast. And another thing. Its not contempt, its more like suspision.
> No offence.

<shrug> If that is what you want to do, then sobeit.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> Our relationship isn't a bed of roses. We have our fights and disagreements too. But
> guess what, we -talk- it out! Isn't that wonderful? Now, I know they take alot of work.
> I'm willing. He's willing. Okay? What more do you want me to say?

No one wants you to _say_ anything. We want you to consider the
consequences of what you are doing and to have a realistic idea of what a
marriage takes. (Many people see marriage as an escape from whatever
unpleasant situation that they are in thinking that loving someone will
make everything automagically work.)

For example, let's take fighting. When you (you meaning *both* of
you, not just you, Nuitari) fight, do you stick to the issues or do you
drag personalities into it? Do you resolve issues or are things brought
back up and used against each other? Do you say "You're wrong. Don't
ever do that again." or do you say "I'm hurt by what you did. I want
talk about it so that we can avoid having this happen again.". Do you
give ultimatums? Can you revisit an issues if a solution you tried
simply isn't working?

People also tend to imitate their parents when they get married
because that is the only role-model they have for a marriage. Have both
of you sat down and honestly discussed what you like and dislike about
the other's parents? Do you have any concrete idea on whether or not you
are going to have kids? If so, how many and when?

Are you both going to work? If so, how are you going to split the
household responsibilities? The money earned (especially if one earns
markedly more than the other)? Will you always make decisions together
or can one make a decision for both and/or commit both to something
without any consultation?

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

<munch>

> For example, let's take fighting. When you (you meaning *both* of
> you, not just you, Nuitari) fight, do you stick to the issues or do you
> drag personalities into it? Do you resolve issues or are things brought
> back up and used against each other? Do you say "You're wrong. Don't
> ever do that again." or do you say "I'm hurt by what you did. I want
> talk about it so that we can avoid having this happen again.". Do you
> give ultimatums? Can you revisit an issues if a solution you tried
> simply isn't working?

We try to do the second option. Its hard tho, to talk about things. I hate just claming up.
It hurts me even more to not say anything tho, and go right on fighting. There's only a few
times that I've ever not talked to him about something... and guess what happened. It hurt so
bad I went right back and talked to him about it. Hiding from him doesn't get either of us
anywhere.

> People also tend to imitate their parents when they get married
> because that is the only role-model they have for a marriage. Have both
> of you sat down and honestly discussed what you like and dislike about
> the other's parents? Do you have any concrete idea on whether or not you
> are going to have kids? If so, how many and when?

Honesty, I'm afraid to have children because I'm afraid I'll end up beating them like my
mother did to me. You know about the statistic. What I like about his parents is that he
seems so open with them. Not so with mine. I can't tell my mother anything, and when I try to
talk to my father... he just gets mad and hangs up the phone on me. Great.

> Are you both going to work? If so, how are you going to split the
> household responsibilities? The money earned (especially if one earns
> markedly more than the other)? Will you always make decisions together
> or can one make a decision for both and/or commit both to something
> without any consultation?
>
> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

Another reason I have to stay here, Fortran. I'm trying to work on -my- education so I can
get a job and be self sufficent.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Um. I really can't fix much until I am able to get out of my house. I can't leave. If I
> leave then I can't go to college. I can't pay for it myself, and SU won't let me claim
> financial independence.

SU? State University?

Actually, I would be surprised if you weren't able to go to
college. If single parents can manage to work a job, raise their kids,
and go to college, I imagine that you can do the same.

Again, it won't be easy, but it can be done.

> She does not run my life. I'm not as subserviant as she wants me to be. She's empty. Very
> empty. My father took her away from her country, and left her for another woman. Some
> people never get over things.

Some people don't want to get over things. They prefer to be
miserable, prefer to be users, prefer to be addicted, prefer to be
whatever they are instead of working to be better (or different).

> So she tries to live through me.

From you descriptions it sounds like she is.

> Do not judge me on things
> you don't know about.

I'm not judging you, but I am making observations.

> You don't know the whole story, and I'm not going to bore you with the details unless you
> really want me to.

It is up to you.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> We try to do the second option. Its hard tho, to talk about things. I hate just claming up.
> It hurts me even more to not say anything tho, and go right on fighting. There's only a few
> times that I've ever not talked to him about something... and guess what happened. It hurt so
> bad I went right back and talked to him about it. Hiding from him doesn't get either of us
> anywhere.

No, hiding doesn't help. The best thing I have learned from The
One is that it is best to deal with things *as soon as they come up*.
The longer you wait the worse the situation will become. It is even
worse if you ignore or suppress things. Your anger tends to surface in
other areas and you have no idea where it is coming from.

[Snip]

> Honesty, I'm afraid to have children because I'm afraid I'll end up beating them like my
> mother did to me. You know about the statistic.

As long as you both clearly understand where each other is coming
from you'll be able to find something that will work for you (even if it
is a pledge to "not discuss this").

> What I like about his parents is that he
> seems so open with them. Not so with mine. I can't tell my mother anything, and when I try to
> talk to my father... he just gets mad and hangs up the phone on me. Great.

Then his parents might be a reference for the things the two of
you want to have in your marriage.

[Snip]

> Another reason I have to stay here, Fortran. I'm trying to work on -my- education so I can
> get a job and be self sufficent.

You can get a job in order to get an education, though. You would
be pretty poor for a time, but you would be independent and you would
have your education in the end.

And depending on when you and Shodan get married it could even be
a "I work and put you through school, then you work and put me through
school" that any number of couples use.

Well-Dressed

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
>How do you not let it get to you...? I try, very very hard just to ignore her. It doesn't
>work. When I'm not ready to snap her head off I'm still thinking of remarks to say
>back... ugh. And the cycle starts again every day. I'm sick of fighting with that woman.

Lose the 'unconditional respect for your parents' idea. You may want
to convince yourself that you already have, but the fact that her
opinion still matters so much to you proves that it's still there.

Know that your mother's ability to evaluate you as a person is
severely impaired; she can't see a daughter, she sees a remnant of her
failed marriage. And you are simply more than that.

Work towards getting out of the house asap. Become independant. If
your mother is anything like mine she is constantly threatening to 'do
this or I'll kick you out of the house'. Take that power away from
her. Take any power she has over you away from her.

>It used to be like, push her buttons and watch the fireworks go. Now I don't do anything
>and they go off by themselves.

I know what you're talking about...

>Any advice for dealing with her, until I am able to get out of the house? Without her
>signature, I can't get aid for college. I don't really want to lose all that money.

Questions:

Isn't there _any_ way (besides marriage) for you to be able to live on
your own?

You're 18 or older, right? Then why do you still need your mother's
signature? (I'm not from America; the most trivial things amaze me :))

Have you consider a part time job, next to your studies? I know it
eats up your time, but... having not much free time is something
you'll have to deal with sooner or later anyway.

Is it true that part of your reason to marry Shodan is to escape your
mother?

What does your mother think of the marriage?

Sven
Well-Dressed Dragon -==UDIC==-
* Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *
"I do not mind what I excrete,
cause I fear it would make a buck.
And those that cannot take the heat,
can take a flying forgive-me-if-I-hesitate"
- Primus, The Air Is Getting Slippery

cr...@interlog.com

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:
-snip-
> > And what the heck are three monkies?
>
> See no evil, hear no evil, see no evil.

> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

heehee, typo! that last monky is supposed to speak no evil (or is that
the first one?)

Annoying Dragon

Paul Ryan

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of MdmeDis Arise from the Depths...

> In article <72vo5q$j...@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com>, Ophidian Dragon
> <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> says...

> > Uuuh, if you're incompatible, how did the relationship get that serious
> > in the first place?
>
> Love, dear boy. Love. It has absoluuuuuutly nothing to do with
> compatibility. I keep telling you - read Somerset Maugham's "Of Human
> Bondage"

Even worse than love for something like that is when two people seem to
be in love with the idea of being in love. The breakup in the case I saw
was very painful.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Ibn al-Hazardous Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In the hall of rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons the entity commonly
known as Samurai on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:06:23 GMT uttered the following
message:

}>Nuitari Dragon wrote:
}
}>> I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one
}>>-positive- thing about marriage. That's all.
}>
}>My parents have ben married for about 25 years now, and they're
}>pretty happy.
}
}*nod* Mine too. Despite outside trials and tribulations, my parents
}have remained very much in love, and perhaps even more importantly,
}best friends.

Is this the "whose parents have been married the longest contest"? Then,
mine have been married for 36 years. They started out real bad according
to my mother (the age difference is 9 years) - but got through it mainly
because of a two year stay in Australia.

}As I said before, I consider myself most fortunate I have a functional
}family. ;)

So di I. :)
-- F
Ibn al-Hazardous Dragon /\
-==(UDIC)==- F / \ F
-==(the UnSPLUTables)==- /\ /____\ /\
Wouldst thou reply, /__\/|\__/|\/__\
Eatest the pie! / || || \
_____________________________/______||__||______\___
d++++ e- N++ T+++ Om- U46!7A!W! u uC++ uF- uG-- uLB-
uA++ nC++ nR nH nP nI++ nPT+ nS+++ nT+ wM---- y a25

Allan Olley

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:57:00 -0500, mdm...@earthlink.net (MdmeDis)
wrote:

> I know what I said came across as harsh, but I believe that telling a
>person with low self esteem "you are really a wonderful person" is about
>as effective as saying "you need to cheer up" to a clinically depressed
>person.

Yeah, I realize that, I feel very inadequate knowing what to say.
Sorry, I came down on you, thanks for explaining yourself so
completely. I hope we all have the strength to overcome our personal
(non-biological) mental problems.

Destrius

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:47:57 -0500,
the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>You don't know the whole story, and I'm not going to bore you with the
>details unless you really want me to.

-clip-

If you want to talk about it, then do so. It's a common occurence here, and
I'm sure some Dragons would be interested to understand more so they can
help.

Destrius

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:53:14 -0500,
the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I already got married on Weyr 1. Tho, maybe we might plan on another one. :>

-clip-

Awww, I missed it.

Perhaps some anniversary celebration...? :)

Destrius

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:39:28 -0600,
the entity named Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

> No, hiding doesn't help. The best thing I have learned from The
>One is that it is best to deal with things *as soon as they come up*.
>The longer you wait the worse the situation will become. It is even
>worse if you ignore or suppress things. Your anger tends to surface in
>other areas and you have no idea where it is coming from.

-clip-

Like, for example, when you get angry at somebody, but not say anything,
and then suddenly find their every action infuriatingly irritating? Which
results in you blowing up over something you usually don't mind, causing
untold misunderstandings?

Happens to me sometimes... :)

-clip-

> You can get a job in order to get an education, though. You would
>be pretty poor for a time, but you would be independent and you would
>have your education in the end.

-clip-

Though I loathe myself for suggesting this, perhaps you could use the time
you spend on the Weyr doing something more economically stimulating? We'd
all miss you to bits, of course. :)

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Well-Dressed wrote:

<munch>

> Lose the 'unconditional respect for your parents' idea. You may want
> to convince yourself that you already have, but the fact that her
> opinion still matters so much to you proves that it's still there.
>
> Know that your mother's ability to evaluate you as a person is
> severely impaired; she can't see a daughter, she sees a remnant of her
> failed marriage. And you are simply more than that.
>
> Work towards getting out of the house asap. Become independant. If
> your mother is anything like mine she is constantly threatening to 'do
> this or I'll kick you out of the house'. Take that power away from
> her. Take any power she has over you away from her.

She's already threating to throw me out of the house at the end of semeseter. And my stepmom
says, you aren't living here. Fine, then I'll just move out. But the thing it, she's threatened
to do the same thing last year. I think she fears being alone. I have no idea. :/

> >It used to be like, push her buttons and watch the fireworks go. Now I don't do anything
> >and they go off by themselves.
>
> I know what you're talking about...
>
> >Any advice for dealing with her, until I am able to get out of the house? Without her
> >signature, I can't get aid for college. I don't really want to lose all that money.
>
> Questions:
>
> Isn't there _any_ way (besides marriage) for you to be able to live on
> your own?

If I got a full time job, yeah. But with no degree, who would hire me? I mean, I know lots of
IT stuff without a degree. I just need the damn slip of paper to prove it.

> You're 18 or older, right? Then why do you still need your mother's
> signature? (I'm not from America; the most trivial things amaze me :))

Accoriding to Syracuse University you have to be 24 years old before you can claim financial
independence. Even if the parents disown you. Which makes me wonder, most of the grad students
are under 24. Do they have to go whining off to mommy and daddy for a sig? These guys make me
sick.

> Have you consider a part time job, next to your studies? I know it
> eats up your time, but... having not much free time is something
> you'll have to deal with sooner or later anyway.

I have a job now. I make about 10 cents above minimum wage. Get this: I got a job somewhere
else. Would have had nice hours and better pay. My mom says, you're not taking that job because
its too far away. Then she threatens to kick me out and ecetra, ecetra.

> Is it true that part of your reason to marry Shodan is to escape your
> mother?

My reason for marring him is because I love him and I want to be with him for the rest of my
life. If I really wanted to escape my mom, there's always suicide... not the best option but it
is an option.

> What does your mother think of the marriage?

A joke. A big joke. She doesn't believe in love.

> Sven
> Well-Dressed Dragon -==UDIC==-
> * Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *
> "I do not mind what I excrete,
> cause I fear it would make a buck.
> And those that cannot take the heat,
> can take a flying forgive-me-if-I-hesitate"
> - Primus, The Air Is Getting Slippery

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes cr...@interlog.com bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> heehee, typo! that last monky is supposed to speak no evil (or is that
> the first one?)

You're right. I goofed. :)

Also, I think the correct sequence is see/hear/speak, but I could
be wrong.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Like, for example, when you get angry at somebody, but not say anything,
> and then suddenly find their every action infuriatingly irritating? Which
> results in you blowing up over something you usually don't mind, causing
> untold misunderstandings?

Yes. It is as if people can only hold so much anger and
frustration inside before it all spills out.

I once had a girlfriend that made my life hell because she treated
*all* instances of my anger (from simple irritation to completely pissed)
as if I was just about ready to be physically violent. Trying to
suppress my emotions messed me up for a time.

[Snip]

> Though I loathe myself for suggesting this, perhaps you could use the time
> you spend on the Weyr doing something more economically stimulating? We'd
> all miss you to bits, of course. :)

I assume that you are pointing that to Nuitari since I'm not on
the Weyr and I do have a job. :)

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:47:57 -0500,

> the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)

> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-

> >You don't know the whole story, and I'm not going to bore you with the
> >details unless you really want me to.
> -clip-
>
> If you want to talk about it, then do so. It's a common occurence here, and
> I'm sure some Dragons would be interested to understand more so they can
> help.
>

> --
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> | Destrius Dragon | |
> | Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
> | -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
> | Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
> | Website: | |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
> uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
> nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
> ---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

My own personal group therapy? :>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> My own personal group therapy? :>

It seems to be working for Ophidian...

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Not this again! :>

Two words: Pink bow. ;)

psz

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98

Nuitari Dragon <klk...@ecs.syr.edu> wrote in article
<3655901E...@ecs.syr.edu>...

> My own personal group therapy? :>
>

> --
> Nuitari Dragon -=<UDIC>=-
> --==<UnSplut>==--
> klk...@ecs.syr.edu
> --------------
> d++ e+ N+ T+++ Om+ U1!234567'!S'!8!KA!L!
> u- uC++ uF++ uG++++ uLB--- uA+ nC nH+ nP
> nI nS nT+ wM+++ wC- wS wI---- wN z?
> --------------

Why not? We've all done it at one time or another(some more than others..
Phid more than all :->)

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--

* Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *

"Time is a play thing. But when
it breaks, you're fucked." -- psz
--------------------------------------

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

Iwww! Pink is the ugliest colour ever! I'd much prefer blue or black. Or
maybe silver. :>

MdmeDis

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <3654c526...@news1.tninet.se>,
fi...@applepie.blueturtle.a.se says...

> In the hall of rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons the entity commonly
> known as Samurai on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:06:23 GMT uttered the following
> message:
>
> }Quoth Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m>:
> }>Nuitari Dragon wrote:
> }
> }>> I don't hate you all. I just for once would like to hear one
> }>>-positive- thing about marriage. That's all.
> }>
> }>My parents have ben married for about 25 years now, and they're
> }>pretty happy.
> }
> }*nod* Mine too. Despite outside trials and tribulations, my parents
> }have remained very much in love, and perhaps even more importantly,
> }best friends.
>
> Is this the "whose parents have been married the longest contest"? Then,
> mine have been married for 36 years. They started out real bad according
> to my mother (the age difference is 9 years) - but got through it mainly
> because of a two year stay in Australia.

Mine were married over 50 years, but did have some kind of major falling
out toward the end. Never knew the ins and outs of it, but they resolved
it and were together ultimately 'til Mother died.

--
Disoriented Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

D'ya ever have those days when you think
maybe its you, and not the rest of the world
that's fucked up?

MdmeDis

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <365503c2...@news.accglobal.net>,
aol...@accglobal.it.might.help.if.you.remove.this.phrase.net says...

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:57:00 -0500, mdm...@earthlink.net (MdmeDis)
> wrote:
> > I know what I said came across as harsh, but I believe that telling a
> >person with low self esteem "you are really a wonderful person" is about
> >as effective as saying "you need to cheer up" to a clinically depressed
> >person.
>
> Yeah, I realize that, I feel very inadequate knowing what to say.
> Sorry, I came down on you, thanks for explaining yourself so
> completely.

Thats fine - I need the occasional jerk on the leash every so often.<g>

MdmeDis

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <MPG.10bf61e99...@news.alt.net>,
for...@earthlink.net says...

> From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> [Snip]
> > Not this again! :>
>
> Two words: Pink bow. ;)

Mdme smiles sweetly at Fortran. She sidles up to him, one paw behind her
back, and blows gently in his ear. Quick as a flash, she whips ribbon
around him in a way that prevents him retracting his undercarriage....

MdmeDis

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <3655AC1C...@ecs.syr.edu>, klk...@ecs.syr.edu says...

> Fortran Dragon wrote:
>
> > From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> > [Snip]
> > > Not this again! :>
> >
> > Two words: Pink bow. ;)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> > -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> > Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> > rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>
>
> Iwww! Pink is the ugliest colour ever! I'd much prefer blue or black. Or
> maybe silver. :>

Precisely. No Dragoness worth her salt has ever expressed a liking for
pink. 'twas Lost himself, now without contact, who designed the Pink Bow
- sort of the Dragon equivalent of the Scarlet Letter - to identify
female from male. Mdme took it upon herself to attach these vile things
to male Dragons, where she feels it will be most, um, appreciated - by
means of the Hot Melt Glue Gun with the Magic Glue.

Eyeing the flailing Fortran, she says:

"Now if you could just hang onto a paw - I think its hot enough...."

psz

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98

MdmeDis <mdm...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<MPG.10bf826bb...@news.alt.net>...

Well... No one can say you've lost your magic, er, Touch, Mdme :->

You still know how to, um... Keep them glued to the spot(?)

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes MdmeDis bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Mdme smiles sweetly at Fortran. She sidles up to him, one paw behind her
> back, and blows gently in his ear. Quick as a flash, she whips ribbon
> around him in a way that prevents him retracting his undercarriage....

Why thank you, Mdme, for the ribbon, but given that my, umm,
undercarriage was already retracted and though the attention is
appreciated, ear-blowing is not a stimulant for this poor dragon, I fear
your efforts are for nought.

And given that a properly extended undercarriage is not an item to
be, uh, exposed to yon viewing public for fear of shocking them (and
would not be a sight suitable for a gentle flower such as thineself) I
shan't be, errm, whipping it out anytime soon. ;)

><

<Fortran wanders off, tying Mdme's ribbon around his neck>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Iwww! Pink is the ugliest colour ever! I'd much prefer blue or black. Or
> maybe silver. :>

Blue? Unless thou wishes to be seen as a transbowtite, blue is
the color of the Males of Dragondom...

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes MdmeDis bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Eyeing the flailing Fortran, she says:
>
> "Now if you could just hang onto a paw - I think its hot enough...."

With a chuckle Fortran calls upon his innate abilities and fades
away, leaving a grin, until it too is gone...

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

> From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> [Snip]

> > Iwww! Pink is the ugliest colour ever! I'd much prefer blue or black. Or
> > maybe silver. :>
>
> Blue? Unless thou wishes to be seen as a transbowtite, blue is
> the color of the Males of Dragondom...
>

> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

Says who? :P

<ties a blue bow around her wrist>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Says who? :P

Says us. It is a revered tradition. One with the Cinnabon and
the Splut.

> <ties a blue bow around her wrist>

Ah, thou wish to be seen as a transbowtite?

Samurai

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
[munch]

>If one day you have a big belly,
>Will you still love me?
>If one day you have become a yellow-faced hag,
>Will I still help you catch the moon and stars?
>
>Quite an interesting song. You don't usually hear love songs about
>two toothless old people.

When I get older, losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine?
Birthday greetings? Bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three,
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

-- The Beatles
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Lumina Dragon

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98

Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:53:14 -0500,

> the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-

> >I already got married on Weyr 1. Tho, maybe we might plan on another one. :>
> -clip-
>
> Awww, I missed it.

I didn't! I was there! WT was there (late, but he gave the Bon Wand), Mono was
there, Tezcatlipoca was there..... who else?

-Lumina Dragon

Sned The Bold

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Paul Ryan wrote:

> The Earth Trembles, as the Words of MdmeDis Arise from the Depths...
>
> > In article <72vo5q$j...@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com>, Ophidian Dragon
> > <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> says...
>
> > > Uuuh, if you're incompatible, how did the relationship get that serious
> > > in the first place?
> >
> > Love, dear boy. Love. It has absoluuuuuutly nothing to do with
> > compatibility. I keep telling you - read Somerset Maugham's "Of Human
> > Bondage"
>
> Even worse than love for something like that is when two people seem to
> be in love with the idea of being in love. The breakup in the case I saw
> was very painful.

sounds vaguely familiar...

> --
> Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
> -==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?
> The Other Codex http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/Codex.htm
>
> Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
> Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV
>
> Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Destrius

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:21:52 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-
> -- The Beatles
-clip-

Err... okay. Forgot about that one. Haven't been paying attention to
English music for a _long_ time...

Actually, I think there are more. Just very few in the "I luuurrrve you!"
Chinese pop scene. :)

psz

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98

Fortran Dragon <for...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<MPG.10bfa4e27...@news.alt.net>...

Thou shouldst see her(sometimes him) on Weyr2 >:->

Whovian Dragon

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
In article <MPG.10bf4b25d...@news.alt.net>,
for...@earthlink.net says...

> I once had a girlfriend that made my life hell because she treated
> *all* instances of my anger (from simple irritation to completely pissed)
> as if I was just about ready to be physically violent. Trying to
> suppress my emotions messed me up for a time.

Was she physically abused by a prior boyfriend? That would explain it.

--
Heather Keesecker, aka Whovian Dragon -=UDIC=-
hea...@juno.com

Well-Dressed

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
>She's already threating to throw me out of the house at the end of semeseter. And my stepmom
>says, you aren't living here. Fine, then I'll just move out. But the thing it, she's threatened
>to do the same thing last year. I think she fears being alone. I have no idea. :\

Seems to me it's just a way for her to vent frustration and anger.
Maybe she wants to make clear 'how much you need her'...

>> >It used to be like, push her buttons and watch the fireworks go. Now I don't do anything
>> >and they go off by themselves.
>>
>> I know what you're talking about...
>>
>> >Any advice for dealing with her, until I am able to get out of the house? Without her
>> >signature, I can't get aid for college. I don't really want to lose all that money.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> Isn't there _any_ way (besides marriage) for you to be able to live on
>> your own?
>>

>If I got a full time job, yeah. But with no degree, who would hire me? I mean, I know lots of
>IT stuff without a degree. I just need the damn slip of paper to prove it.

If you know some programming, or are willing to learn, it's actually
rather easy to get into IT. They need programmers. I don't have a
degree (I'm just in my first year of Comp.Sci) and I still have a nice
job as an applications programmer. I've even done some design, and the
company is pretty content with me. I've talked to some other potential
employers, and they all want to employ me, and are offering to pay for
university, literature, travel, relocation... It's good to know you're
in demand :)

Just send a resume to some companies. You might be pleasantly
surprised.

>> You're 18 or older, right? Then why do you still need your mother's
>> signature? (I'm not from America; the most trivial things amaze me :))
>>

>Accoriding to Syracuse University you have to be 24 years old before you can claim financial
>independence. Even if the parents disown you. Which makes me wonder, most of the grad students
>are under 24. Do they have to go whining off to mommy and daddy for a sig? These guys make me
>sick.

Wow... I got rid of all that dependence stuff when I was 18. 24 is
just ridiculous.

So, basically, if someone who's completely independent wants to go to
university at, say, 22, he has to ask his parents for permission?
Isn't there some legal backdoor?

>> Have you consider a part time job, next to your studies? I know it
>> eats up your time, but... having not much free time is something
>> you'll have to deal with sooner or later anyway.
>>

>I have a job now. I make about 10 cents above minimum wage. Get this: I got a job somewhere
>else. Would have had nice hours and better pay. My mom says, you're not taking that job because
>its too far away. Then she threatens to kick me out and ecetra, ecetra.

How about you figure out how you could combine work and university and
how much you'd make, have a job interview (your mother wouldn't even
have to know), look for an affordable apartment, get a loan if
necessary, and get the hell out of there?

You might have to live in (relative) poverty for a while (which is
what most of us go/have gone through), but it must be better than what
your mother is doing to you.

>> Is it true that part of your reason to marry Shodan is to escape your
>> mother?
>>

>My reason for marring him is because I love him and I want to be with him for the rest of my
>life. If I really wanted to escape my mom, there's always suicide... not the best option but it
>is an option.

Nope. You take options to win. You commit suicide to lose.

Sven
Well-Dressed Dragon -==UDIC==-

* Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *

Well-Dressed

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Fortran Dragon, if I had a dime for each
Time that I've heard you preach,
Why! I'd have wicked thoughts upon my brain.

>From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...

> I once had a girlfriend that made my life hell because she treated
>*all* instances of my anger (from simple irritation to completely pissed)
>as if I was just about ready to be physically violent. Trying to
>suppress my emotions messed me up for a time.

Ack. I've been there too. In the end, I would just feel anger whenever
I saw her, no matter if it was appropriate for that moment or not.
Can't believe I allowed it to go so far before dumping her.

Thank god I had a good outlet (erm, 'singing' for a punk band :)) or
it might have done a lot more damage. Sometimes you just need a bit of
screaming on top of your lungs and jumping around frantically :)

>[Snip]
>> Though I loathe myself for suggesting this, perhaps you could use the time
>> you spend on the Weyr doing something more economically stimulating? We'd
>> all miss you to bits, of course. :)
>
> I assume that you are pointing that to Nuitari since I'm not on
>the Weyr and I do have a job. :)

All the same, Destrius is right. And like I've said before, a job
isn't just a way to bring in money. It can add something to your life
and to your appreciation of yourself as well, improve your
self-esteem, etc.

Destrius

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:45:29 GMT,
the entity named psz (ps...@bellsouth.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Thou shouldst see her(sometimes him) on Weyr2 >:->

-clip-

Most of her quota seems to be spent on aliases. :)

kewh...@indiana.edu

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Destrius wrote:

> Err, yeah. One problem with Usenet is that you can't look at a person when
> you're talking to them to make clear who your thoughts are directed to. :)
>
> Hmmm... Head Movement Transfer Protocol? ...

Simple, Destrius: include their name in the post to address them. See left.
^^^^^^^^

-Lumina Dragon

Samurai

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following:

>> -- The Beatles

>Err... okay. Forgot about that one. Haven't been paying attention to
>English music for a _long_ time...

*G* Well, that was sort of thirty years ago.

>Actually, I think there are more. Just very few in the "I luuurrrve
>you!" Chinese pop scene. :)

Ah, gotcha. :)

Destrius

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:16:24 -0500,
the entity named kewh...@indiana.edu (kewh...@indiana.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Simple, Destrius: include their name in the post to address them. See left.
> ^^^^^^^^

-clip-

But that's no fun! :)

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

> From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> [Snip]
> > Says who? :P
>
> Says us. It is a revered tradition. One with the Cinnabon and
> the Splut.
>
> > <ties a blue bow around her wrist>
>
> Ah, thou wish to be seen as a transbowtite?
>
> --
>
> Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

If that means that I get to have a blue bow, than so be it.

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

> Destrius wrote:
>
> > ...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:53:14 -0500,
> > the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)

> > inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
> >
> > -clip-

> > >I already got married on Weyr 1. Tho, maybe we might plan on another one. :>
> > -clip-
> >
> > Awww, I missed it.
>
> I didn't! I was there! WT was there (late, but he gave the Bon Wand), Mono was
> there, Tezcatlipoca was there..... who else?
>
> -Lumina Dragon

Tez, Drax, Ob, Eternal, Atty, Mono, Merc? I think. I can't rememember. :>

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
psz wrote:

> Fortran Dragon <for...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
> <MPG.10bfa4e27...@news.alt.net>...

> > From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> > [Snip]
> > > Says who? :P
> >
> > Says us. It is a revered tradition. One with the Cinnabon and
> > the Splut.
> >
> > > <ties a blue bow around her wrist>
> >
> > Ah, thou wish to be seen as a transbowtite?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
> > -=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
> > Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
> > rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>
> >

> Thou shouldst see her(sometimes him) on Weyr2 >:->
>

> --
> --------------------------------------
> Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--
> Phillip Zibilich \/
> ps...@gnofn.org ps...@bellsouth.net
> Plingiest Dragon and 6-2 on Othello on Weyrmount 2

> * Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *

> "Time is a play thing. But when
> it breaks, you're fucked." -- psz
> --------------------------------------

Meow.

Samurai

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Quoth for...@earthlink.net (Fortran Dragon):

>From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...

>> Says who? :P

>Says us. It is a revered tradition. One with the Cinnabon and
>the Splut.

Hurrah! It's a revered tradition now! My purpose in life is
complete. ;)

>> <ties a blue bow around her wrist>
>
>Ah, thou wish to be seen as a transbowtite?

A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked Mdme
over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment? Octal, was
it?

Lumina Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Nuitari Dragon wrote:

> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>
> > I didn't! I was there! WT was there (late, but he gave the Bon Wand), Mono was
> > there, Tezcatlipoca was there..... who else?
> >
> > -Lumina Dragon
>
> Tez, Drax, Ob, Eternal, Atty, Mono, Merc? I think. I can't rememember. :>
>

> --
> Nuitari Dragon -=<UDIC>=-

IIRC, you and Shodan were there, too. :p

-Lumina Dragon

P.S. Who is/was Merc? I recognize all names but that one.

Lumina Dragon

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Samurai wrote:

> A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked Mdme
> over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment? Octal, was
> it?
> --

I dunno, as it was in the Pre-Lumina era, but its most notable recipient,
AFAIK, was Lost (who is lost right now, as usual).

-Lumina Dragon

Destrius

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:22:12 -0500,
the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Tez, Drax, Ob, Eternal, Atty, Mono, Merc? I think. I can't rememember. :>

-clip-

You can't remember what happened at your wedding?! :)

psz

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98

Lumina Dragon <kewh...@indiana.edu> wrote in article
<365A0D67...@indiana.edu>...

IIRC Lost was first, and Octal curled up in a "warm fuzzy place"(to which
Ophidian asked: The top of a rancid mayonaise jar?)

Those were the days...

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

> Nuitari Dragon wrote:
>
> > Lumina Dragon wrote:
> >
> > > I didn't! I was there! WT was there (late, but he gave the Bon Wand), Mono was
> > > there, Tezcatlipoca was there..... who else?
> > >
> > > -Lumina Dragon
> >

> > Tez, Drax, Ob, Eternal, Atty, Mono, Merc? I think. I can't rememember. :>
> >

> > --
> > Nuitari Dragon -=<UDIC>=-
>
> IIRC, you and Shodan were there, too. :p
>
> -Lumina Dragon
>
> P.S. Who is/was Merc? I recognize all names but that one.

No, I wasn't there. It was one of my many clones. :P

Mercury, aka Warp.

--
Nuitari Dragon -=<UDIC>=-

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

> Samurai wrote:
>
> > A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked Mdme
> > over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment? Octal, was
> > it?
> > --
>
> I dunno, as it was in the Pre-Lumina era, but its most notable recipient,
> AFAIK, was Lost (who is lost right now, as usual).
>
> -Lumina Dragon

Treatment? Dare I ask what happened?

Nuitari Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:22:12 -0500,
> the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-

> >Tez, Drax, Ob, Eternal, Atty, Mono, Merc? I think. I can't rememember. :>

> -clip-
>
> You can't remember what happened at your wedding?! :)
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> | Destrius Dragon | |
> | Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
> | -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
> | Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
> | Website: | |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
> uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
> nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
> ---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

I already said, it wasn't me. Its one of my multiple clones. :> It told me
afterwards. ;>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> If I got a full time job, yeah. But with no degree, who would hire me? I mean, I know lots of
> IT stuff without a degree. I just need the damn slip of paper to prove it.

Not always. Experience counts more, many times a *hell* of a lot
more, than the degree. I've known a number of people that started out in
the tech support area and worked their way up the job ladder to the
position they wanted. All it took was time and patience while they did
their job and took classes (some went the part time route, others took
night classes).

[Snip]

> Accoriding to Syracuse University you have to be 24 years old before you can claim financial
> independence. Even if the parents disown you. Which makes me wonder, most of the grad students
> are under 24. Do they have to go whining off to mommy and daddy for a sig? These guys make me
> sick.

I'd suggest looking around for another university. In the
computer area unless your degree says MIT or Berkeley no one is really
going to give a damn what it says so long as you have one.

[Snip]

> I have a job now. I make about 10 cents above minimum wage. Get this: I got a job somewhere
> else. Would have had nice hours and better pay. My mom says, you're not taking that job because
> its too far away. Then she threatens to kick me out and ecetra, ecetra.

As long as you dance to her tune you are going to have heartache.
If you want her to stop then you are going to have to call her bluff. If
you can live with the worst she can do (kick you out completely I assume)
then you've just earned your independence.

If that worst is more than you can bear then you'll just have to
accept that your mother's actions are the price you have to pay for the
education you want (at the place you want to get it).

[Snip]

> My reason for marring him is because I love him and I want to be with him for the rest of my
> life. If I really wanted to escape my mom, there's always suicide... not the best option but it
> is an option.

Suicide always seems to be letting the other side win. You may
lose, but never, ever give up.

[Snip]
> A joke. A big joke. She doesn't believe in love.

Just because she thinks it is bad because of her experiences
doesn't make it so for you. Your marriage will be what you and Shodan
make it.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
From the Void comes Nuitari Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> I already said, it wasn't me. Its one of my multiple clones. :> It told me
> afterwards. ;>

Have they been to Munden's Bar?

Fortran Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
From the Void comes Samurai bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Hurrah! It's a revered tradition now! My purpose in life is
> complete. ;)

Does this mean the King will abdicate?

[Snip]

> A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked Mdme
> over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment? Octal, was
> it?

Octal it was when he caddishly tried to nuzzle something that he
should of steered clear of.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
From the Void comes Whovian Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Was she physically abused by a prior boyfriend? That would explain it.

As much as people like to pin everything on abuse, no, she wasn't.
Her father was very controlling and her mother was very manipulative.
Combine the two and you get a child that learns to do both when they grow
up and fight their parents.

Heh. If anything, she was an ongoing pain to all of her prior
boyfriends. She liked to involve herself in their lives and tell them
what to do.

My revenge against her was to simply move and not provide any way
for her to find him. That is the single worst thing you can do to a
control freak. Totally ignore them.

Lumina Dragon

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98

Nuitari Dragon wrote:

> Destrius wrote:
>
> > You can't remember what happened at your wedding?! :)
>

> I already said, it wasn't me. Its one of my multiple clones. :> It told me
> afterwards. ;>

Uh-oh.... Shodan's not gonna be happy about this one......

-Lumina Dragon

Destrius

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:35:35 -0500,
the entity named Lumina Dragon (kewh...@indiana.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I dunno, as it was in the Pre-Lumina era, but its most notable recipient,
>AFAIK, was Lost (who is lost right now, as usual).

-clip-

...much to the disappointment of us plot-threaders...

Destrius

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:22:01 -0500,
the entity named Nuitari Dragon (klk...@ecs.syr.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I already said, it wasn't me. Its one of my multiple clones. :> It told me
>afterwards. ;>

-clip-

So Sho is married to your clone? Or was it his clone too? Sounds like
something you two would do, getting your clones to marry each other... :)

psz

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

Destrius <u...@the.sig.addy> wrote in article
<73gvea$ggt$2...@newton.pacific.net.sg>...

And seeing as she killed the clones... Does that make Shodan a widower?

Destrius

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:44:06 GMT,
the entity named psz (ps...@bellsouth.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>And seeing as she killed the clones... Does that make Shodan a widower?

-clip-

The real Shodan or the clone?

--
+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- |

Fortran Dragon

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
From the Void comes Samurai bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> *G* Well, no, obviously. I have to get a _new_ purpose now the old
> one is done with, and Pothead has still got that throne-room over on
> Weyr II ...

And what do you "purpose" to do? ;)

[Snip]
> Ah yes, I remember now. Happened not long after I landed here, if I
> recall, yet it seems like only yesterday.
>
> *nostalgic sigh* Ah, memories. :)

Your getting old, Samurai. <chuckle>

Seriously, though, I like it when the Dragons mention past
happenings. It brings a sense of continuity to the group.

Samurai

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
>Lumina Dragon <kewh...@indiana.edu> wrote ...
>> Samurai wrote:

>> > A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked
>> > Mdme over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment?
>> > Octal, was it?
>>

>> I dunno, as it was in the Pre-Lumina era,

Was it really that long ago? Gosh.

>> but its most notable recipient, AFAIK, was Lost (who is lost right
>> now, as usual).

He'll find his way back eventually, I'm sure. :)

>IIRC Lost was first, and Octal curled up in a "warm fuzzy place"(to
>which Ophidian asked: The top of a rancid mayonaise jar?)
>
>Those were the days...

I don't know if it's a cause for concern, Darkling, but despite still
being fairly young in Dragon years, we both sound like geezers these
days. ;)

Samurai

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Quoth for...@earthlink.net (Fortran Dragon):

>From the Void comes Samurai bearing this piece of Light...

>> Hurrah! It's a revered tradition now! My purpose in life is

>> complete. ;)
>
>Does this mean the King will abdicate?

*G* Well, no, obviously. I have to get a _new_ purpose now the old

one is done with, and Pothead has still got that throne-room over on
Weyr II ...

>> A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked

>> Mdme over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment?
>> Octal, was it?
>

> Octal it was when he caddishly tried to nuzzle something that he
>should of steered clear of.

Ah yes, I remember now. Happened not long after I landed here, if I

recall, yet it seems like only yesterday.

*nostalgic sigh* Ah, memories. :)

psz

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote in article
<3661d2ce...@news.prestel.co.uk>...

> Quoth for...@earthlink.net (Fortran Dragon):
> >From the Void comes Samurai bearing this piece of Light...
>
> >> Hurrah! It's a revered tradition now! My purpose in life is
> >> complete. ;)
> >
> >Does this mean the King will abdicate?
>
> *G* Well, no, obviously. I have to get a _new_ purpose now the old
> one is done with, and Pothead has still got that throne-room over on
> Weyr II ...

He hasn't been boasting as much as usual... I think he found out you were
on the other day >:->

> >> A slightly different status to those male dragons who have irked
> >> Mdme over the years. Who was the first to get the treatment?
> >> Octal, was it?
> >
> > Octal it was when he caddishly tried to nuzzle something that he
> >should of steered clear of.
>
> Ah yes, I remember now. Happened not long after I landed here, if I
> recall, yet it seems like only yesterday.
>
> *nostalgic sigh* Ah, memories. :)
> --
> \^\^//
> ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
> | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
> \ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
> \ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
> ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

I remember it well... It was just before-during my intro post-thread, I
think...

Rob Davies <R.M.Davi...@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

>devere1 wrote:
>>
>> Gary McHugh <gmc...@primenet.com> wrote in article
>> <338e6b22...@news.primenet.com>...
>> > <chomp>
>> >
>> > <Octal, while curled up in a smooth ball, dreams of the warm, fuzzy
>> > place. . .>
>> >

>> The top of a mayonaise jar when left out in the sun for a week?
>>

>Depends on the smell of this "warm, fuzzy place". Also depends on
>whether the place is fuzzy or furry... <G>

I rarely dream of rancid mayonnaise ;)

Octal Dragon

It is loading more messages.