The rec.games.computer.ultima.* Frequently Asked Questions List (FAQ)

rgcu...@daisho.plus.com

Jan 16, 2004, 7:33:26 PM1/16/04

Archive-name: games/ultima
Posting-Frequency: biweekly
Last-modified: 1 February 2003
Version: 2.39
Copyright: (C) 2001 Paul Gilham, portions (C) 1998-2000 Edward Franks,
portions (C) 1996, 1997 Andrew Charlton
Maintainer: Paul Gilham <rgcu...@daisho.plus.com>

rec.games.computer.ultima.* Frequently Asked Questions List

This FAQ was originally conceived, and written by Andrew Charlton
aka Erratic Dragon, aka Erraticus.
This FAQ is currently being maintained by Paul Gilham, aka
Samurai Dragon <rgcu...@daisho.plus.com>. E-mails to this address
should have the word "FAQ" in the subject.
Thanks to the previous maintainer, Edward Franks, aka Fortran
Dragon, for the hard work he put into the FAQ.

NOTE: Unless otherwise stated, the use of "I" and "me" refers to the
FAQ maintainer. The exception to this is the questions which are
written by the archetypal newbie.

0) Index/Legal Administrivia

* 1) About This FAQ
o 1.1) Purpose of this FAQ
o 1.2) Revision History
o 1.3) Latest Version
o 1.4) Abbreviations

* 2) The Dragons
o 2.1) What are the Dragons?
o 2.2) Why are you named the Ultima Dragons?
o 2.3) What does UDIC stand for?
o 2.4) Can I join the Dragons?
o 2.5) How do I change my roster data?
o 2.6) What does Dragon membership qualify me for?

* 3) The Newsgroups
o 3.1) History of the Newsgroups
+ 3.1.1) What about these old newsgroups?
+ 3.1.2) I can't get the new newsgroups
o 3.2) Ultima Celebrities
o 3.3) What can I discuss (The Charters)?
+ 3.3.1) rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons Charter
+ 3.3.2) rec.games.computer.ultima.online Charter
+ 3.3.3) rec.games.computer.ultima.series Charter
o 3.4) Should I post binaries?
o 3.5) Can I ask for hints?
o 3.6) How do I avoid getting flamed?
o 3.7) Why don't you all stop fighting?
o 3.8) What are those strange terms you're using?

* 4) Technical and Non-Gameplay Issues
o 4.1) Availability of Ultimas and Ultima Related Merchandise
o 4.2) Collections of Ultima games
+ 4.2.1) The Encore Ultima 1-6 CD
+ 4.2.1.1) Where can I find it?
+ 4.2.1.2) Problems with the Encore Ultima 1-6 CD
+ 4.2.2) The Ultima Collection
+ 4.2.2.1) Where can I find it?
+ 4.2.2.2) Problems with the Ultima Collection
o 4.3) Missing Documentation
o 4.4) Windows 9x/ME Issues
o 4.5) Lack of Memory
+ 4.5.1) How do I free up more memory?
+ 4.5.2) I still can't get enough!
o 4.6) Ultimas Run Too Fast
o 4.7) Ultima Game Problems
+ 4.7.1) How do I get Ultimas to work with my AWE32/AWE64/SB32
sound card?
+ 4.7.2) Where can I find a mouse driver that doesn't take up
much DOS memory?

* 5) The Ultima Series
o 5.1) What is Ultima?
o 5.2) Where can I find hints and walkthroughs?
o 5.3) Continuity
+ 5.3.1) Can you explain any plot inconsistencies?
+ 5.3.2) How should I pronounce Ultima names?
+ 5.3.3) In what order do the Ultimas run?
o 5.4) Akalabeth
+ 5.4.1) Where can I find a copy of Akalabeth?
o 5.5) Ultima/Ultima 1
+ 5.5.1) Patches
o 5.6) Ultima 2: The Revenge of the Enchantress
+ 5.6.1) Patches
+ 5.6.2) Ultima 2 gives a Divide By Zero error! How do I fix
it?
+ 5.6.3) Ultima 2 maps are wrong! How do I fix it?
+ 5.6.4) The Ultima 2 colours are hideous. How do I fix them?
o 5.7) Ultima 3: Exodus
+ 5.7.1) The Ultima 3 colours are hideous. How do I fix them?
o 5.8) Ultima 4: The Quest of the Avatar
+ 5.8.1) Patches
o 5.9) Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny
+ 5.9.1) Patches
+ 5.9.2) Cheats
o 5.10) Ultima 6: The False Prophet
+ 5.10.1) Patches
+ 5.10.2) Cheats
+ 5.10.3) Who Killed Quenton?
o 5.11) Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire
o 5.12) Ultima, Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams
o 5.13) Ultima Underworld 1: The Stygian Abyss
+ 5.13.1) Patches
+ 5.13.2) Utilities
o 5.14) Ultima 7: The Black Gate
+ 5.14.1) Patches
+ 5.14.2) Cheats
+ 5.14.3) How do I get past the Test of Truth in the Forge of
Virtue?
+ 5.14.4) How do I get past the Hydra on Ambrosia?
+ 5.14.5) Ultima 7 won't work with my Riva 128/Nvidia video
board. How do I fix it?
+ 5.14.6) Weapon and Armour Ratings
+ 5.14.7) U7-Wizard
o 5.15) Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds
+ 5.15.1) Patches
+ 5.15.2) Cheats
o 5.16) Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent Isle
+ 5.16.1) Patches
+ 5.16.2) Cheats
+ 5.16.3) Weapon and Armour Ratings
+ 5.16.4) Where is the Comb of Beauty?
+ 5.16.5) Director's Cut of Serpent Isle Introduction
+ 5.16.6) How do I save Cantra?
o 5.17) Ultima 8: Pagan
+ 5.17.1) Patches
+ 5.17.2) Cheats
+ 5.17.3) Where is the Birthplace of Moriens?
+ 5.17.4) The Lost Vale
o 5.18) Console Ultimas
+ 5.18.1) Nintendo (NES) Ultimas
+ 5.18.2) Super Nintendo (SNES) Ultimas
+ 5.18.3) Nintendo Gameboy Ultimas
+ 5.18.4) Sega Master System Ultima
+ 5.18.5) Sony Playstation Ultima
o 5.19) Ultima Online
+ 5.19.1) What is Ultima Online?
+ 5.19.2) System requirements
+ 5.19.3) Where can I find out more about Ultima Online?
+ 5.19.4) Are there any non-subscription UO servers?
o 5.20) Ultima 9: Ascension
+ 5.20.1) Patches
+ 5.20.2) Why doesn't Ultima 9: Ascension work with my system?
+ 5.20.3) Where can I find out more about Ultima 9: Ascension?
+ 5.20.4) Tools for Ultima IX: Ascension
o 5.21) Ultima Underworld 3
+ 5.21.1) Is an Ultima Underworld 3 planned?
o 5.22) Ultima 10
+ 5.22.1) What do you know about Ultima 10?
o 5.23) Ultima Online 2/Ultima Worlds Online: Origin
o 5.24) Works in Progress
+ 5.24.1) The former Ultima 1 remake
+ 5.24.2) "New Moongates"
+ 5.24.3) The Exodus Project
+ 5.24.4) Ultima IV: The Dawn of Virtue
+ 5.24.5) Ultima V: Lazarus
+ 5.24.6) The Ultima 6 Project
+ 5.24.7) The System Shock Hack Project
+ 5.24.8) Underworld Adventures
+ 5.24.9) Exult
+ 5.24.10) Labyrinth of Worlds
+ 5.24.11) Ultima VIII: Exile
+ 5.24.12) Eriadain

* 6) Ultima, the Dragons and The World Wide Web
o 6.1) The Ring of Dragons
o 6.2) Ultima Under Emulators
o 6.3) Ultima Fan Fiction
o 6.4) How can I put Ultima runes on my web pages?
o 6.5) Is there an Ultima Windows 9x desktop theme?
o 6.6) Ultima Levels/Maps for Other Games
+ 6.6.1) Civilization 2
+ 6.6.2) CivNet
+ 6.6.3) Warcraft 2
+ 6.6.4) Warlords 2
+ 6.6.5) Doom 2
+ 6.6.6) Unreal
o 6.7) Ultima Maps
o 6.8) Ultima pen-and-paper RPG

* 7) Real-time Interactions
o 7.1) The Weyrmount
+ 7.1.1) What is the Weyrmount?
+ 7.1.2) How do I get there?
+ 7.1.3) What do I do once I'm there?
o 7.2) IRC
+ 7.2.1) What is IRC?
+ 7.2.2) How do I get there?
+ 7.2.3) What do I do once I'm there?
+ 7.2.4) What does "re" mean?
o 7.3) ICQ
+ 7.3.1) What is ICQ?
+ 7.3.2) Where can I find an ICQ client?
+ 7.3.3) Is there a list of ICQ numbers for the Dragons?

* 8) Summary
o 8.1) Pages
o 8.2) Other Stuff
o 8.3) Why isn't my page in here?

* 9) Acknowledgements

0) Legal Administrivia

The maintainer disclaims all responsibility for inaccurate or
misleading information in this FAQ. This article is provided as-is,
without any express or implied warranties. Neither the author nor
any of the contributors to this FAQ assumes any responsibility for
errors or omissions, or for damages resulting from the use of the
information contained herein.

1) About This FAQ

1.1) Purpose of this FAQ

This FAQ is not intended to replace the many other sources of
Ultima and Ultima Dragons-related information available. Rather,
it is intended to summarise, supplement, and list them, for the
purpose of regularly posting to rec.games.computer.ultima.*, in
order to cut down on some unnecessary noise on the group.
Most of the questions in this FAQ are real questions which are
asked in the rec.games.computer.ultima.* groups (And their
predecessors, rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons and
alt.games.ultima.dragons) reasonably frequently.

1.2) Revision History

Only the most recent changes to the FAQ are listed here. The
complete history is available from this URL:
<http://www.daisho.plus.com/rgcu-faq/faq-revisions.html>.

[1 February 2003]
FAQ URL and contact details amended to reflect maintainer's
ISP change.

[5 January 2003]
Section 5.24.1 amended to reflect the change in direction of
Peroxide's project, formerly the Ultima 1 remake.

[4 December 2002]
Excalibur Dragon's walkthrough page (Section 5.2) re-inserted
-- the 403 error I received before must have been an aberration.
URLs for Ultima Legacy (Section 5.19.4) and official U9 site
(Section 5.20.3) amended.

[26 November 2002]
We've been long overdue for an update, so the sheer number of
changes means I'll need to run through by section.
* Preamble: The original version of this FAQ is no longer on the
web; the submission e-mail address has changed
* 3.1.2: Newsreader.com's website is returning a 404, so it has been
removed from the FAQ
* 3.2: Furcadia URL updated
* 3.7: Gravity download URL updated
* 5.2: Access is now forbidden to the
<http://www.cyberenet.net/~redjr/> website, so it has been removed
* 5.3.1: Paul Billows' name corrected; 404 errors from both
<http://sublimity13.student.cwru.edu/UltWeb/history.txt> and
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/3871/storyfaq.htm>,
so these two sites have been removed
* 5.8: Ram Dragon's World Map Editor for U4 added
* 5.10.1: Jason Ely's patch for U6 music no longer appears to be
hosted by pcgameworld.com
* 5.19.3: Reference no longer made to the RGCUO FAQ appearing at
<http://www.btinternet.com/~altea/rgcuofaq.txt>
* 5.19.4: New section, mentioning private UO servers and citing
Ultima Legacy as an example of such
* 5.20.3: The official U9 website, <http://www.ultima9.com/>,
appears to have been taken down
* 5.20.4: Xenerkes Dragon's Ultima 9 extended setup utility added
* 5.21.1: Arx Fatalis mentioned in connection with UW3
* 5.23: The website at
<http://origin.stratics.com/sections/lore/stories/prequel.shtml>
has been taken down, so it has been removed from the FAQ
* 5.24: Several changes in this section, primarily a note that
Exult has gone gold with v1.0; also removal of Blackrock
and Guardian engines; addition of Dungeon Siege-mod Ultima 6
Project, Underworld Adventures engine, Labyrinth of Worlds
remake and Ultima VIII: Exile remake; Eriadain URL updated
* 6.2: Bleem! no longer has a website so URL removed from FAQ;
Ultima emulation tips at <http://www.en.com/users/fraley/>
removed, since site is returning 404 error
* 6.6.3: Shodan Dragon's Warcraft 2 PUDs added
* 6.6.6: URL for Unreal Tournament UW map updated
* 6.7 Ram Dragon's U7 and SI world map wallpaper added
Phew!

[15 May 2002]
Finire Dragon's U6 sound effects patch (Section 5.10.1) and
Voyager Dragon's extensive summary of online Ultima development
projects (Section 5.24) both added.

[7 April 2002]
URL changes for the U4 download offered by Fortran Dragon
(Section 5.8), Televar Dragon's Ultima Collectors' Guide (Section
4.1) and the Ultima Ressurection (sic) project (Section 6.8).

[12 February 2002]
New Cutemouse driver download page added.

1.3) Latest Version

The most up-to-date version of the FAQ is available at:
<http://www.daisho.demon.co.uk/rgcu-faq/faq.html>. It is also
posted biweekly to rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,
rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons, rec.games.computer.ultima.series,
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, rec.answers, comp.answers, and
news.answers.
As a result of crossposting to news.answers, a text version of
the FAQ is available at
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/games/ultima> and its
many mirrors (such as <http://www.faqs.org>).

1.4) Abbreviations

The following abbreviations may be found in this FAQ and also in
the newsgroup, IRC etc.

* U1-U9: Main sequence Ultimas, Ultima 1, Ultima 2 etc.
* U:A or UA: Ultima: Ascension (Ultima 9)
* U7 or BG: Ultima 7: The Black Gate
* U7.5, U7.2, or SI: Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent Isle
* UC: Ultima Collection
* UW1 or UUW1: Ultima Underworld 1
* UW2 or UUW2: Ultima Underworld 2
* SE: Worlds of Ultima 1: Savage Empire
* MD: Ultima, Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams
* AK or U0 (zero): Akalabeth
* UO: Ultima Online
* UOL: Ultima Online Live, aka Ultima Online (NOTE: the designers
themselves prefer UO, which has also become most common among
players.)
* UO:T2A: Ultima Online: The Second Age
* UO:R: Ultima Online: Renaissance
* UO2: Ultima Online 2 (now defunct)
* UWO:O: Ultima Worlds Online: Origin, aka Ultima Online 2
* FoV: Forge of Virtue
* SS: Silver Seed
* RoV: Runes of Virtue
* RoV2: Runes of Virtue 2
* rgcud: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons and/or -dragons
* rgcu.d: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons
* rgcu-d: rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons
* rgcus: rec.games.computer.ultima.series
* rgcuo: rec.games.computer.ultima.online
* agud: alt.games.ultima.dragons
* aguo: alt.games.ultima.online
* csipgr: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
* LB: Lord British
* RG: Richard Garriott
* CPC: California Pacific Computers, the original publisher of
Ultima (no number)
* EA: Electronic Arts
* OSI: Origin Systems, Incorporated (NOTE: The older fans tend to
use Origin over OSI)

NOTE: It's probably best not to use U0 (zero) for Akalabeth,
because it can look the same as UO -- Ultima Online.

2) The Dragons

2.1) What are the Dragons?

The Ultima Dragons are a group of people who simply love Ultima,
a long running series of computer role playing games (CRPGs). You
can find more information about the Dragons, and their long, and
sordid history in the Official UDIC FAQ at
<http://www.udic.org/faq.html>, maintained by Monomolecular Dragon.
The Dragons' home page and membership roster is at
<http://www.udic.org/> maintained by the UDIC greeting team.
The Dragons' FTP site is at <ftp://ftp.udic.org/pub/ud/>.

2.2) Why are you named the Ultima Dragons?

When the club was first formed on Prodigy, there was already a
club dedicated to Ultima called the Evil Avatars -- the new club was
called "Players of Ultima for Fun" or PUFF. This lead to inevitable
references to Puff the Magic Dragon, and the club was soon renamed
the Ultima Dragons.

2.3) What does UDIC stand for?

The original club was on the Prodigy online service, but the club
later moved to the Internet in late 1994 with the creation of the
newsgroup alt.games.ultima.dragons (agud), forming the Ultima Dragons
Internet Chapter, or UDIC.

2.4) Can I join the Dragons?

You certainly can, provided you meet the entrance requirement --
to have played an Ultima. There are several ways to join:

* The easiest, and preferred way is to use your web browser and
go to <http://www.udic.org/join.html>. It is recommended
that you at least read the UDIC FAQ before joining, see
Section 2.1.

* If you do not have access to the World Wide Web, you can
e-mail <jo...@udic.org> include the following information in
the message:
o Your real name
o Your e-mail address
o Your proposed Dragon Name, (subject to checking to see if
it has already been taken)
o Ultimas you may have played and/or completed
o A little about yourself, so the greeters know who they are
talking to. This information is mainly used to help you
select an alternative Dragon name in case your first
selection is taken.

Whichever method you use, one of the dedicated team of greeters
will process your application and get back to you. This may take a
while, as they are usually very busy.

2.5) How do I change my roster data?

If you remember the password you entered when you joined, then
you can go to <http://www.udic.org/members/> and sign on. If you
don't remember your password, or you want to change your Dragon name
or e-mail address, then e-mail <jo...@udic.org> and one of the
greeting team will handle your request.

2.6) What does Dragon membership qualify me for?

Like most things in life, you will get out of the Dragons what
you put in. If you make the effort to participate, the club can be
very rewarding, but don't expect to sit back and watch the benefits
accrue.

3) The Newsgroups

3.1) History of the Newsgroups

While the basic historical facts are undisputed, there are
several different views on just how messy the various changes in
the newsgroups have been.

[Erratic Dragon, the original FAQ maintainer, writes:]

"The newsgroups rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (rgcu.d),
rec.games.computer.ultima.online (rgcuo), and
rec.games.computer.ultima.series (rgcus) supersede the old newsgroups
alt.games.ultima.dragons (agud), alt.games.ultima-online (aguo), and
rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons (rgcu-d). The new groups were
created on July 7, 1997 as a reorganisation of
rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons. rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons
was created on the 19th of March 1996, five days after the vote for
its creation was passed 421:130. It was deleted on September 8th
1997.
"Prior to the creation of rgcu-d, the Ultima Dragons' newsgroup
was alt.games.ultima.dragons, this was deleted 60 days after the new
group was created (May 19th 1996). alt.games.ultima-online was a
short-lived group, the creation of which prompted the 1997 reorg. It
has been deleted in favour of the rec group. The details of the
creation (and deletion) of these newsgroups are available at
<ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons>
and
<ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.games.computer.ultima-reorg>."

[The previous FAQ maintainer, Fortran Dragon, adds:]

"NOTE: Usenet doesn't work as smoothly as the above two
paragraphs by Erratic Dragon might lead you to believe. Even though
only one person (Tale) can send out a create-group or remove-group
message, it is in the power of each newsadmin to accept or ignore the
messages sent by Tale. This is why alt.games.ultima.dragons,
alt.games.ultima-online and rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons still
continue to exist and be viable newsgroups on a number of news
servers.
"Many Dragons read agud and rgcu-d (as they do with csipgr) and
will answer questions there for those folks that can't get any of the
other newsgroups. (This is also why some Dragons, myself included,
crosspost between rgcu.d and rgcu-d.)"

For similar reasons, I also generally crosspost between rgcu.d
and rgcu-d.

3.1.1) What about these old newsgroups?

Some of the old newsgroups still exist on many servers, which can
be confusing when people read the groups only to find they are empty,
or mostly empty. If your local news server is one of these, you can
drop a line to your news administrator (usually
newsmaster@*<yourdomain>*) telling them about the problem, and
directing them to the above URL.
As the note in Section 3.1 states, your newsadmin may choose to
ignore (and is in his rights to ignore if he wants to) the above
URLs. If this is a problem for you, see Section 3.1.2, below.

3.1.2) I can't get the new newsgroups

If your news administrator is not willing to add the new groups
you might try searching the following websites for a public/free news
server at (original information provided by F-15 Dragon):

*
<http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Chats_and_Forums/Usenet/Public_Access_Usenet_Sites/>
* <http://www.findolin.com/>
* <http://news.fu-berlin.de/en/register.html>

Web-based sites include:

* Google Groups, <http://groups.google.com>

If none of the above works, you can e-mail Fortran Dragon at
<xy...@kc.rr.com> and ask to be put on his digest mailing list. He
kindly makes a daily e-mailing of all the posts made to rgcu.d since
the last digest.

3.2) Ultima Celebrities

A handful of former Origin staff have participated in the rgcud
from time to time, including:

* Bill Armintrout,
Worked on Serpent Isle -- sometimes posted to fess up to
the bugs in the game :),

* Dr. Cat,
Worked on several Ultimas, including Ultima 6 and the
Runes of Virtue games. Dr. Cat now runs an online game
called Furcadia, at <http://www.furcadia.com/>

* Jason Ely,
A developer on U8 and the author of the U6 Adlib patch

* Mike McCoy aka Boomer,
Origin's online PR person, though he specialises in Ultima
Online and the Janes product group

* Chris McCubbin,
The writer of a number of hints books for Origin/Prima

* Mike McShaffry, aka Mr. Mike,
Director and part of the programming team for Ultima 8

* Brian Martin,
Design co-ordinator for Ultima 9, and also working on
Ultima Online, pops in from time-to-time

* Richard Steinberg,
The former online PR guy for Origin. He goes by the name
"Mr. Smarty Pants" (or simply "mrpants") because he writes
the Mr Smarty Pants Knows column for The Austin Chronicle.
He left Origin some time before its dissolution, but he's
bound to have an opinion here and there

* Carly Staehlin-Taylor aka Lady MOI,
Origin's Answer Lady for U9

* Bill Jensen, aka Arbuthnot Dragon

[Rainbow Dragon writes:]

"After Ultima 4, Bill struck a coin for LB which had the
codex symbol on one side and the bell, book and candle on the
other. This coin was the inspiration for U5's trinket, the
codex coin. As a reward, LB put Bill and his family into the
game. You can find them in one of the lighthouses (I forget
which one exactly) -- they minted a magical coin that brought
the Avatar to Britannia.
"Several Dragons, including me, have copies of this coin
-- they were passed out at MADCAP 96, hosted by
Monomolecular. I also have a copy of the letter which LB
originally sent to Bill back in 1986, wherein he calls the
coin "the best Ultima-related present I have ever received"
and promises to put Bill and his family in U5."

* Several people have posted to tell us they had their portrait
used in Serpent Isle.

3.3) What can I discuss? (The Charters)

The topic of a newsgroup is defined by its charter. Each of the
Ultima newsgroups has its own charter, plus the common charter which
applies to all of them.

CHARTER: all groups

Cross-posting or multiple posting among Ultima groups is not
recommended. However, it is likely that cross-posting of certain
articles may become necessary. Authors should select the most
appropriate group, whenever possible, when posting their articles.
Posting or cross-posting articles which do not consist mainly of
text easily readable by humans (i.e. binary files or encrypted text)
is prohibited. If it is necessary to transfer binaries, posters
should include a pointer to an appropriate FTP/WWW site, or use an
appropriate binaries newsgroup. Posting commercial solicitations or
inquiries which are not directly related to Ultima is prohibited.
Frequent posting of the same advertisement, even Ultima-specific, is
also prohibited.

END CHARTER.

3.3.1) rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons Charter

CHARTER: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons

rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons an unmoderated forum for
discussion of issues of interest to members of the Ultima Dragons
Internet Chapter and all fans of the Ultima games. Topics will
include discussion of current games, news and rumours, tips and
advice from members of the Ultima Dragons, talk about organisational
matters of the UDIC, discussions about the UDIC's facilities like the
Weyrmount MOO as well as the WWW and FTP sites, story authoring, and
other club related issues of interest to members of the Ultima
Dragons Internet Chapter and other participants in the newsgroup.

END CHARTER.

NOTE: This group can be considered a meeting hall for members of
the Ultima Dragons club, and all other interested parties. Ultima
talk is welcomed, but is not mandatory. The subject matter in the
group has ranged between serious topics like history, religion and
cinnabons, to plot ("in character") threads, to outright silliness.
Those looking for a more concentrated dose of Ultima, without all the
extra "chat" are advised to read rec.games.computer.ultima.series

3.3.2) rec.games.computer.ultima.online Charter

CHARTER: rec.games.computer.ultima.online

rec.games.computer.ultima.online is an unmoderated forum for
discussion of all aspects of the online multi-player game Ultima
Online, as well as its sequels and other multi-player versions of
Ultima. Topics specific to the online version of the game are
welcome here, including but not limited to features, events within
the game world, guilds within the game, and real-world issues with
the game (e.g. pricing, latency, etc.).

END CHARTER.

3.3.3) rec.games.computer.ultima.series Charter

CHARTER: rec.games.computer.ultima.series

rec.games.computer.ultima.series is an unmoderated forum for
discussion of any topic related to the Ultima series of games which
would not be more appropriate in another group. These topics
include, but are not limited to, questions and answers about the
games, hints and tips, comparisons of the various versions of Ultima
or similar games, news and rumours, etc.

NOTE: this group is intended to provide a place in which people
can easily find information about the Ultima games without having to
go through unrelated traffic. As such, if a discussion drifts away
from the original topic, it is recommended to direct it to a more
appropriate group, although some tolerance is required.

END CHARTER.

3.4) Should I post binaries?

No.
Binaries should only be posted in binaries groups
(alt.binaries.*, plus a few others). There are a few reasons for
this. Probably the most important is so people can avoid downloading
large binaries that they may not want.
If you want to post some Ultima related binaries, post them to an
appropriate alt.binaries.* group, or put it on a web or FTP site,
then post a note in the appropriate newsgroup telling the readers
there where they can find it.

3.5) Can I ask for hints?

Yes, it is one of the groups' primary functions. We ask only
that you follow a few guidelines:

* Choose the appropriate newsgroup for your query, i.e. don't
ask about Ultima 4 in rgcuo.

* A good, descriptive subject line, including the name of the
Ultima you are having problems with (see also, Section 1.4
for some abbreviations; it might be nice to use square
brackets around these), and a brief description of the
problem. e.g. "[U1] How do I kill Lord British?". This
allows people to zero in on questions to which they know the
answer.

* If you are asking a technical question, try to include some
info about your system. In particular, what you are loading
in your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS (or Windows ME
equivalent). Drivespace, for example, can take up lots of
memory, and would be significant.

3.6) How do I avoid getting flamed?

You're reading this FAQ, which is a good start. Before asking a
question, see if the answer is in here, or the other resources
mentioned here. When you first point your newsreader at the
newsgroups, there will probably be a few days' worth of messages
(around 1,000 on most news-servers) waiting for you. Just read
through some of them to get an idea of the way the groups operate.
For an overview of Usenet etiquette, please read the newsgroup
news.announce.newusers, which contains a number of documents with
useful information in them.

3.7) Why don't you all stop fighting?

Most of the time, we aren't fighting at all, simply debating. We
manage to discuss some pretty touchy issues without degenerating into
a flamewar. Occasionally, flamewars will spring up, but usually,
there are only a few participating. Please don't avoid posting for
fear of being flamed. Follow the guidelines in Section 3.6 and you
will be fine. Participating is a lot of fun.
The previous FAQ maintainer stated that, in his experience,
flamewars have to run their course. He felt calling on people to
stop doesn't work -- it just adds fuel to the fire, and spreads the
flamewar to new threads. Having tried and failed to intercede in
flamewars on occasion myself, I can vouch for this approach. <:)
The best way to deal with flamewars is to ignore them, as I now
largely do. Many newsreaders have functions to ignore ("kill")
either people or threads. If you see a flamewar spring up, you may
want to ignore it, simply by putting the threads or participants in
your "killfile". You can do the same for topics you aren't
personally interested in. Consult the documentation for your
newsreader for details.
Two recommended Windows-based newsreaders that support killfiles
are Forte Agent (<http://www.forteinc.com/>) or Microplanet Gravity
(<http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/comms/grav25.exe>). Other quality
newsreaders may be found at the home of the Good Net-Keeping Seal of
Approval (<http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/>).

3.8) What are those strange terms you're using?

During their history, the newsgroups, particularly agud and
rgcud, have produced some fairly unusual names and terms of
reference. A good number of them are explained by Paulon Dragon at
the UDICtionary site:
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Misc/UDICtionary.htm>.

4) Technical and Non-gameplay Issues

4.1) Availability of Ultimas and Ultima Related Merchandise

Underworld Dragon has written The Collectible Ultima, available
at <http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgregg/ultima/collectibles/>. Televar
Dragon has created a similar Ultima Collectors' Guide at:
<http://www.surfing.net/ultima/ucg>. Both these contain information
on what Ultima memorabilia exists and where you might find it.
Some of the online auction sites, such as eBay
<http://www.ebay.com/>, Yahoo! Auctions <http://auctions.yahoo.com/>,
and Amazon Auctions <http://www.amazon.com/> are good places to
locate the various Ultimas. While many of the early and/or very
collectible Ultimas can go for high prices, it is still possible to
get a decent buy on various Ultimas if you are willing to be patient.

4.2) Collections of Ultima Games

4.2.1) The Encore Ultima 1-6 CD

4.2.1.1) Where can I find it?

See Section 4.1
The Encore Ultima 1-6 CD isn't seen very much these days. The
Ultima Collection has much better availability and has decent
documentation, to boot.

4.2.1.2) Problems with the Encore Ultima 1-6 CD

There are several problems relating to the CD which are discussed
in a FAQ by Ultra-Mind Dragon at
<http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/Ultima1-6FAQ.html>.

4.2.2) The Ultima Collection

4.2.2.1) Where can I find it?

See Section 4.1.
A budget version of the Ultima Collection was available in
stores until recently, but most no longer stock it. Again, auction
sites are probably now the best place to look, though I understand
branches of Babbages, in the USA, may still have them on the shelves.

4.2.2.2) Problems with the Ultima Collection

See Sections 4.4, 4.5, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, and 5.6.3.
The Ultima Collection comes with the registered version of the PC
slowdown program Mo'Slo and the Ultima 2 speed fix has already been
applied.
The Ultima Collection will automatically install shortcuts for
Windows 9x, but you must install the Ultima Collection to its
default location (c:\uc\) in order for the shortcuts to work
properly.

4.3) Missing Documentation

The Encore CD was mistakenly released with no documentation.
Origin has made the docs available at <http://uo.com/archive/> listed
under their respective Ultima. (See also, Section 4.2)

NOTE: As of March 14, 1999, Origin has stated that the Ultima
Archive site will no longer be updated. In 2001, OSI as an entity
ceased to exist. Its owner, EA, is now directly responsible for
all Ultima products, inasmuch as OSI was before.

Since the downloadable documents from the EA Ultima Archive are
mainly technical, they don't capture the feel of the original
manuals. Micro Dragon made versions of the original documentation
available, but his site has unfortunately disappeared. Fortunately,
Paulon Dragon has mirrored the files here:
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Documents/index.htm>.
Trigon Dragon is undertaking a similar project, with the
documents and some pictures available as Adobe PDF files from
<http://members.aol.com/trigonman3/intro.html>.

There may be certain versions of the Complete Ultima 7 that
came without docs. Most had them on the CD in Adobe PDF format. The
full docs are not available online, but the Trinsic questions are
available at Origin's Ultima Archive <http://uo.com/archive/>.
An Adobe Acrobat Reader (required to view Adobe PDF files) may be
freely downloaded at Adobe's website at <http://www.adobe.com/>.
There are many versions of the Reader available for different
operating systems.

4.4) Windows 9x/ME Issues

Ultimas 1-6 require no special considerations for
Windows 95/98/ME when running in a full-screen MS-DOS window (that
is, a Windows 9x DOS box). (See also Section 4.2.2 and Section 4.7
for other problems relating to these games).
However, it has come to light that the IBM PC versions of Ultima
2 and Ultima 3 will not run under Windows 9x on a FAT-32 drive that
has been booted directly to DOS. They will run fine in a Windows 9x
DOS box, however. Ultima 2 and Ultima 3 will also run well (other
than the speed issued) under Windows 95 and Windows 95a if you boot
to DOS.
Apparently these two Ultimas, being the oldest IBM PC versions,
get a return value that causes them to crash or lockup when they
access either a FAT-32 drive or the files on a FAT-32 drive. Perhaps
the best solution is to use the Exodus Project U2/U3 upgrades (see
Section 5.24.3), which address the problem. The Windows Native
Ultima 2 (see Section 5.6.1) works, too.
Another practical workaround, for either game, is either to run
them in a Windows 9x DOS box or copy them to a non-FAT-32 disk (such
as a floppy -- these games are old enough to fit on a single 3.5"
floppy) and run them from that disk.
Both parts of Ultima 7 and Ultima 8 are much more problematic
under Win98. To help new players get the game running in these OSes,
Gaseous Dragon has also provided an Ultima 7 For Beginners page at
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/ultima7.html> and an Ultima 8 For
Beginners page at <http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/ultima8.html>.
You can now run Ultima 7 (both parts) and Ultima 8 under
Windows 9x, thanks to patches written by Dragon Baroque. Gaseous
Dragon is hosting these patches at his site,
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/>. You will need to
have a copy of one of the various CD-ROM versions of Ultima 7 (The
Complete Ultima 7, any of the EA Classics versions, or any of the
Ultima Collection versions) or Ultima 8.
You may want to do a fresh install and if you want sound and
music. Make sure your sound card is set up properly for Ultima 7 or
Ultima 8 to find it. Also, you will need to make sure you have
enough conventional DOS memory for Ultima 7. While this patch allows
you to run U7 and U8 under Windows 9x, it does not make them Windows
programs.

4.5) Lack of Memory

4.5.1) How do I free up more memory?

For Windows 95/98/ME, see Section 4.4. For DOS users, you'll
probably want to make a boot disk containing just the bare minimum
device drivers.

* First, format a floppy like so:
o FORMAT A: /s

* Then with a text editor, create the following files on the
disk:
o CONFIG.SYS:
+ DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
+ FILES=25
+ DOS=HIGH,UMB
(If you use Drivespace include)
+ DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\DRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE
o AUTOEXEC.BAT:
+ LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE

Whenever you want to play, boot from this floppy.

NOTE: Some of your directories may be different, substitute them
as appropriate. Even with this minimal configuration, Serpent Isle
can be tricky to get working. Drivespace takes up quite a lot of
space, so one is to substitute your usual mouse driver for one which
takes up slightly less space, like the current version of CTMouse
(see Section 4.7.2 in this FAQ).

Alternatively, use a DOS 5 boot disk, so the driver doesn't get
loaded. If you do this, you will only be able to access the
uncompressed portion of the drive -- the rest is still there, and
will return when you load with DOS 6 again. Do not include the
drivespace line if you use this method.

4.5.2) I still can't get enough!

Some device drivers will cause U7/SI to misreport the memory, and
refuse to start. If you have followed the instructions above, the
only device driver you should have loaded is your mouse driver, try
replacing that.
Unfortunately, among the drivers which cause this problem is the
Maxtor (OnTrack) Hard Drive Overlay (identifiable by a blue banner
when you start up) which allows older computers to have larger hard
drives.
If you press the 's' key as soon as the blue banner appears, you
will get a DOS message about turning off Dynamic Memory Protection.
Answer Yes, and this may help with the problem.

4.6) Ultimas Run Too Fast

Lost Dragon has set up the New PC Slowdown web page, which
contains many utilities to slow down fast computers. It can be found
at <http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/>.
The various flavours of the Ultima Collection also contain a
slowdown utility, Mo'Slo, that works for many people.

4.7) Ultima Game Problems

4.7.1) How do I get Ultimas to work with my AWE32/AWE64/SB32 sound
card?

Contrapuntal Dragon has a page dealing with the common problems
of getting the AWE32 to work with various Ultima games. It can be
found at <http://www.zip.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/ult-awe32.html>.

4.7.2) Where can I find a mouse driver that doesn't take up much DOS
memory?

Many Dragons use CuteMouse (or CTMouse), a DOS mouse driver that
uses very little DOS memory. It can be found at
<http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/>.

NOTE: Avoid version 1.4 of CTMouse. It has a bug that causes the
mouse driver to use lots of DOS memory, making it useless to use with
Ultima 7.

5) The Ultima Series

5.1) What is Ultima?

Ultima is a long-running series of computer role playing games
(CRPGs). The settings have varied, but many of the games take place
in the land of Britannia, ruled benevolently by Lord British (who is
the alter-ego of Richard Garriott, the series creator).
The hero (at least from Ultima 4 onwards) is the Avatar, champion
of virtue, who comes originally from Earth, but tends to get
transported to Britannia whenever trouble arises.

5.2) Where can I find hints and walkthroughs?

There is a good selection of Ultima walkthroughs available at
<http://uo.com/archive/>, and also at
<http://www.cyberenet.net/~redjr/>.

Kender Dragon has written an Ultima Dragons Newbie FAQ, which
includes a number of frequently requested hints, at
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgregg/ultima/FAQ/udicfaq.html>.
Paulon Dragon has written an excellent Ultima Gameplay FAQ. This
FAQ is at <http://www.ultimainfo.net/FAQ/ultimafaqs.htm>.
I would make this FAQ your first stop if you are having a problem
with a particular Ultima.

5.3) Continuity

5.3.1) Can you explain any plot inconsistencies?

There are many points of constant speculation on the newsgroups,
most of which are never agreed on, and so cannot be put into a FAQ.
Ophidian Dragon has written a timeline for the Ultima games,
available as an MS Word document from
<http://sublimity13.student.cwru.edu/UltWeb/history.doc>.
There is an Ultima storyline FAQ,
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~anarchy/Ultima/Ultima_storyline_FAQ.html>
which does attempt to explain some of these (written by Chris
Billows and not currently being maintained). It would be good to see
someone take over the Storyline FAQ -- more information on that is
available in the FAQ).
Many other plot holes remain unaddressed, however -- feel free to
post your own theories, but be prepared for some pretty heavy
scrutiny.

5.3.2) How should I pronounce Ultima names?

Several of the Companions' names are discussed in U6 and U9.

* Iolo: YO-low
* Dupre: Dew-PRAY
* Shamino: SHA-mee-no
* Jaana: JAH-nuh
* Sentri: SAHN-tray

5.3.3) In what order do the Ultimas run?

Underworld Dragon has written a timeline, putting all events
which have happened in the Ultima world in perspective. It is
available at <http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgregg/ultima/history/>.
Specifically, the Ultimas come in the order they are listed in
this FAQ. Ultima Online occurs in several parallel worlds, so is
outside the normal Ultima timeline.

5.4) Akalabeth

5.4.1) Where can I find a copy of Akalabeth?

Akalabeth has, as far as I know, been released as freeware. You
can find the original Apple II game here:
<ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/akalabeth/>
and the AppleSoft Basic source code at:
<http://uo.com/archive/ftp/graphics/aklabeth.zip>. See also Section
6.2 for details of running Akalabeth under emulation.
There are several PC ports of the game available. One, with the
QBASIC sourcecode, is now hosted by the Ultima Emulator FAQ site
(see Section 6.2) at <http://strobel.secure.at/ultima/FAQ.html>.
MinerJr and Dung Dragon have created two PC versions of the
game, the older of which is available at:
<http://www.geocities.com/minerjr/akalabeth/Akalabetho1.htm> and the
newer (with DirectX7 support and real 3D dungeons) at:
<http://www.geocities.com/AkalabethRemake/>.
The Ultima Collection contains a PC version of Akalabeth, too.

5.5) Ultima/Ultima 1

5.5.1) Patches

Arthur DiBianca, aka Arthuris Dragon, has written a patch for
Ultima 1, to fix a problem where the graphics go black-and-white and
eventually get garbled on some video cards. It is available at
<http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/Ultima1-6FAQ.html>.
Paulon Dragon mirrors the U1 patch at:
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/U1patch.zip>.

5.6) Ultima 2: The Revenge of the Enchantress

5.6.1) Patches

Arthuris Dragon has a patch for Ultima 2 as well. His patch
slows the game down and adds a 'Save and Exit' and a 'Load Saved
Game' command. You can find the patch at
<http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~palenstn/>. The nice thing is that
this patch will work with the other Ultima 2 patches, as well as
the speed patch included with Ultima 2 in the Ultima Collection.
While not strictly a patch, the Windows Native Ultima 2 program
(written by John Alderson and hosted by Michael C. Maggio, aka
Voyager Dragon, at <http://ultima2.voyd.net/>) allows you to use
more pleasing colours without any need for a slowdown program.
Voyager Dragon is also responsible for the Exodus Project. This
incorporates both Micro Dragon's speed fix and Moonstone Dragon's
planet fix, as well as updated graphics. See Section 5.24.3 for
more details.

5.6.2) Ultima 2 gives a Divide By Zero error! How do I fix it?

This is caused by fast computers (don't ask me how). The
solution is to use a slowdown program, as detailed in Section 4.6, or
to apply the U2 divide-by-zero fix, available from
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/U2SpeedFix.zip>.

5.6.3) Ultima 2 maps are wrong! How do I fix it?

[The Moonstone Dragon writes:]

"When Ultima II was first released, it came on three
floppy sides: the Boot Disk, the Player Disk, and the Galactic Disk.
The last two of these disks held the city and world maps, as well as
monster lists and conversation information for Earth and the other
planets.
"The names used on these two disks for many of the files were
identical. When the Ultima I-VI CD was released, all of the files
were merely dumped together into a single directory which caused some
of the files to be overwritten. Hence, cities, dungeons, and worlds
on the Galactic disk with the same name as a location on Earth are
not available and the Earth Map is used instead."

You can download Moonstone's patch from
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/U2PlanetMapFix.zip>. It is also
included in Voyager Dragon's Ultima 2 Upgrade (see Section 5.6.1).

5.6.4) The Ultima 2 colours are hideous. How do I fix them?

[Paulon Dragon writes:]

"Finire Dragon has written a program that resets the colours used
by a VGA graphics card to emulate the older CGA graphics card to
something more pleasing. "CGA graphics adapters only used four
colours (usually cyan, magenta, black and white), but now we can have
blue water, green vegetation and red lava."
You can download the patch from Paulon Dragon's website at
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>. Voyager Dragon's
Ultima 2 Upgrade (see Section 5.6.1) also addresses the colours
issue.

[Paulon Dragon writes:]

"Finire Dragon has written a program that resets the colours used
by a VGA graphics card to emulate the older CGA graphics card to
something more pleasing. CGA graphics adapters only used four
colours (usually cyan, magenta, black and white), but now we can have
blue water, green vegetation and red lava."
You can download the patch from Paulon Dragon's web site at
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>. Voyager Dragon's
Exodus Project -- a significant revamp of U3 -- (see Section
5.24.6) also addresses this issue.

5.8) Ultima 4: The Quest of the Avatar

You may freely download Ultima 4 (PC version) from:

* <http://www.zip.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/u4download.html>
* <http://home.kc.rr.com/hidalgo/>
* /Any/ member of UDIC may make the Computer Gaming World edition
of Ultima 4 available. (This means that you can't add or
delete anything from the archive.)

NOTE: This does /not/ mean the game is now freeware. EA retains
the copyrights to Ultima 4. The firm is simply allowing the Dragons
(and only the Dragons) the chance to make the game available to
anyone who is interested in it.

Ram Dragon is hosting the Ultima 4 World Map Editor and Combat
Viewer on his website, <http://psych.utoronto.ca/~duncan/ultima/>.

5.8.1) Patches

Aradindae Dragon and Wiltshire Dragon have combined efforts
to make a patch that adds "MIDI support, new hotkeys, and 256 colour
graphics" to Ultima 4 (PC version). This replaces the older
(separate) graphics patch and music patch. This patch can be found
at <http://www.moongates.com/u4/>.

5.9) Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny

5.9.1) Patches

The U5 Upgrade is available at <http://exodus.voyd.net/>, the Exodus
Project website (see Section 5.24.3). It adds MIDI to the game.

5.9.2) Cheats

There are two known cheats, of sorts, for the C64 version of U5.
Neither works on the PC version of the game, as far as I know.

[Thirith Dragon writes:]

"There *is* a kind of a cheat for U5, at least on the C64. It
goes something like this: if you've got between 11 and 15 portions of
some reagents, mix a spell containing only such reagents. Mix 16
portions of this spell. If the spell existed, you now have 16
spells, plus 96-99 of the reagents."

[Enzo Dragon writes:]

"When anywhere other than in dungeons, press and hold the
Commodore key (looks like C=, on bottom left of the keyboard) and
then press 1. It will display an 8 digit number. The first set of 4
digits represents your co-ordinates in hex. The next set of 2 digits
are the level. The number goes higher if you go up higher in towns
and castles.
"Also in the Underworld, you get the equivalent of a
negative number in hex (signed bit, reads FF). The final 2 digits
are for the virtue points. The closer to 99 you are, the more
Avatar-worthy you are."

5.10) Ultima 6: The False Prophet

5.10.1) Patches

Historically, the PC speaker sound effects of U6 did not work
properly on any PC faster than a 12MHz 286. Now, Finire Dragon has
written a patch to correct the problem. It is available here:
<http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~ticmanis/PATCHU6.ZIP>.
Jason Ely wrote a patch to fix the music in Ultima 6 for modern
computers. Unfortunately, it appears to have been taken down from
<http://www.pcgameworld.com/>, where it was being hosted.

5.10.2) Cheats

Here is the cheat for the IBM PC and Amiga versions. Speak to
Iolo, and type the following:

spam<Enter>
spam<Enter>
spam<Enter>
humbug<Enter>

where <Enter> is pressing the Enter or Return key. This will bring up
a cheat menu.

Here is the cheat for the Commodore 64 version.

Speak to *yourself* (yes, this is possible in the C64 version)
and type the following:

i<Enter>
want to<Enter>
cheat<Enter>

where <Enter> is pressing the Enter or Return key.

[Source: Tristan Miller -- C64, Dracos Dragon -- Amiga]

5.10.3) Who Killed Quenton?

This is another red herring/plot hole. Using standard methods
(i.e. not cheating) there is no way to find out who killed Quenton.
Discovering the murderer's identity is not necessary to win the game.
If you would still like to know, there is a man with a house on
the road from Britain to Skara Brae who refuses to give his name --
this is Michael, the man who killed Quenton. The U6 cluebook and
Quenton himself in U7 verify the fact.

5.11) Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire

[Paulon Dragon writes:]

"Talk to Triolo and say Cheat to get a cheat menu. Peace Dragon
told me about it."

F-15 Dragon's program MDhack, available from:
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/programs/mdhack.zip> adds extra
functions to Savage Empire. Universal Hint System help-files are
available for SE, also from the Ultima FTP site:
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/programs/ultuhs.zip>.

5.12) Ultima, Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams

F-15 Dragon's program MDhack, available from:
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/programs/mdhack.zip> adds extra
functions to Martian Dreams. Universal Hint System help-files are
available for MD, also from the Ultima FTP site:
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/programs/ultuhs.zip>.

5.13) Ultima Underworld 1: The Stygian Abyss

5.13.1) Patches

Panzer Dragon has a patch to upgrade Ultima Underworld 1 to
support General MIDI, available on Paulon Dragon's download page at
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>.
There is a patch available from EA to deal with the "infamous"
inventory bug in UW1, which causes floating and duplicating items,
and the screen turning red. The patch can be downloaded from
<http://www.uo.com/archive/uw1/demoftp.html>.

5.13.2) Utilities

Telemachos Dragon has created an viewer that allows you to
explore the various levels of Ultima Underworld 1. The program
converts the 2D maps into 3D maps suitable for modern 3D hardware
accelerated video cards.
It also converts the 8-bit textures of the original game to 24-
bit textures and creates mip-map to reduce flicker. You can also
export a level to a VRML file and then import it into the 3D drawing
package of your choice.
The viewer is available at <http://www.peroxide.dk/underworld/>.

5.14) Ultima 7: The Black Gate

5.14.1) Patches

Newton Dragon has a patch to upgrade Ultima 7 to support General
MIDI, available at <http://uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/ult7gm.zip>
If you are playing the floppy disk version of Ultima 7 and you
are having items disappearing from inventory and the screen is
turning red, there is a patch available to correct the problem from
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/u7patch.exe>.
One of the most significant additions to the Ultimas in recent
times is Dragon Baroque's patch to make U7 and SI run within Windows
9x. Gaseous Dragon is hosting this patch at
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U7inWindows.html>. You will need
to have a copy of one of the various CD-ROM versions of Ultima 7 (The
Complete Ultima 7, any of the EA Classics versions, or any of the
Ultima Collection versions).
You may want to do a fresh install and if you want sound and
music, make sure your sound card is set up properly for The Black
Gate to find it. Also, you will need to make sure you have enough
conventional DOS memory for The Black Gate. While this patch allows
you to run The Black Gate under Windows 9x, it does not make The Black
Gate a Windows program.

5.14.2) Cheats

The cheat mode for Ultima 7 part one can be activated by typing
the following on the command line:

Ultima7 abcd[Alt 255]<Enter>

where <Enter> is pressing the Enter key. [Alt 255] is a single,
invisible character typed by pressing the Alt key, and typing 255 on
the numeric keypad, then releasing the Alt key. There is no space
between abcd, and [Alt 255].
Once the cheat mode is activated, the F-keys have special
functions within the game.
There is also an in-game cheat known as the "Trinsic Cheat Room".
It is possible to climb onto the roof Christopher's workshop in
Trinsic, using crates to build a staircase. Once on the roof, walk
behind the chimney, and you will be transported to a room which
contains many of the items needed to win the game, and some other
goodies.

5.14.3) How do I get past the Test of Truth in the Forge of Virtue?

Very near the beginning of the test is a hood next to a wall,
this is an illusory wall, you can walk through it to a corridor, and
eventually to the /true/ amulet of truth.

5.14.4) How do I get past the Hydra on Ambrosia?

The centre of the north wall in the hyrdra's room is actually a
secret door -- double-click on that, and it will open. You can then
run past the hydra.

5.14.5) Ultima 7 won't work with my Riva 128/Nvidia video board.
How do I fix it?

[Xe Dragon writes:]

"The Riva 128 video boards have a problem showing the earthquake
sequence at the start of U7 with the Forge of Virtue add-on installed
or in SI whenever the screen shakes up and down. Basically, the Riva
128 video boards don't support all of the original VGA modes thus
causing the game screen to side off the bottom of the computer
monitor.
"Download qfix.zip from Dr. David's Super Crispy DOS Utilities at
<http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/utils.html> as a temporary fix until a new
(corrected) version of the board's BIOS is released. You can install
this DOS TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) program to convert the
up-and-down earthquake motion to a side-by-side motion."

NOTE: This same problem was subsequently reported with other
Nvidia video cards. The same patch should deal with the problem.

5.14.6) Weapon and Armour Ratings

[Xe Dragon writes:]

"Mitch Aigner has provided a supplement to Ultima 7: Black Gate
which provides weapon and armour ratings (among other things) at
<http://members.aol.com/UltimaFile/files/u7_sup.txt>."

5.14.7) U7-Wizard

This is a powerful editor for both parts of Ultima VII, released
under a GNU general public licence.
U7-Wizard allows you to change the map and scenery of Britannia
and Serpent Isle a great deal. You can download it from:
<http://www.chez.com/pulsarrtc/wizard/ultima/u7wizard.htm>.

5.15) Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds

5.15.1) Patches

[Paulon Dragon writes:]

"Panzer Dragon has a patch to upgrade Ultima Underworld 2 to
support General MIDI, available at
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>."

As with UW1 (see Section 5.13.1), there were problems with the
original release of UW2, such as the screen turning red, palette
shifting, servant strike, melting moongate in the yellow Ethereal
Void, or sleeping with a moonstone as a cursor. There is a patch
available to correct the problem, from EA's Origin archive:
<http://www.uo.com/archive/uw2/uw2soft.html>.

5.15.2) Cheats

[Thirith Dragon writes:]

"If you blast any kind of potion, for example when you attack it
repeatedly, it will turn into debris -- but the debris, when used,
has exactly the same function as the potion, with infinite charges."

5.16) Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent Isle

5.16.1) Patches

Newton Dragon has a patch available to upgrade Serpent Isle to
support General MIDI, it is available at
<http://uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/ult7p2gm.zip>
Thanks to Dragon Baroque (see Section 5.14.1) you can now run
Serpent Isle under Windows 9x. Gaseous Dragon is hosting the patch at
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U7inWindows.html>. You will need
to have a copy of one of the various CD-ROM versions of Ultima 7 (The
Complete Ultima 7, any of the EA Classics versions, or any of the
Ultima Collection versions).
You may want to do a fresh install and if you want sound and
music, make sure your sound card is set up properly for Serpent Isle
to find it. Also, you will need to make sure you have enough
conventional DOS memory for Serpent Isle. While this patch allows
you to run Serpent Isle under Windows 9x, it does not make Serpent
Isle a Windows program.
While not really a patch, U7-Wizard allows extensive editing of
landscape and scenery in SI, as it does U7 (see Section 5.14.7).

5.16.2) Cheats

The cheat mode for Serpent Isle is activated by typing the
following on the command line:

serpent pass<Enter>

where <Enter> is pressing the Enter or Return key.
If you have installed the Silver Seed add-on type the following
on the command line:

serpent manimal<Enter>

where <Enter> is pressing the Enter or Return key. In either case,
the F-keys now have special functions within the game.

5.16.3) Weapon and Armour Ratings

Paulon Dragon has provided a supplement to SI, which offers
weapon and armour ratings (among other things), at
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/SINotes.txt>.

5.16.4) Where is the Comb of Beauty?

In the north wall of Columna's house (Moonshade) there is a
secret door which leads into the garden. The comb is in a chest
partially hidden behind some foliage. The chest can be opened with a
key from the basement of the house.

5.16.5) Director's Cut of Serpent Isle Introduction

The original SI introduction was cut due to space limitations on
the 5.25-inch diskettes which saw the first release of Serpent Isle.
Denis Loubet has made the original SI available for download at his
website, here:
<http://www.io.com/~dloubet/gallery/animate/serpisle.htm>.

5.16.6) How do I save Cantra?

The long and short of it is, you can't. The Serpent Isle
programmers forgot to enable that option in the game.

5.17) Ultima 8: Pagan

5.17.1) Patches

There was a patch released for Ultima 8 which makes some
substantial changes to the game. Among the alterations changes are
an improved jumping system, and the closure of some plot holes.
The patch is available at the following location:

* English Version,
<ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/u8/u8patche.zip>

* German Version,
<ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/u8/u8patchg.zip>

* French Version,
<ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/u8/u8patchf.zip>

NOTE: please use the patch corresponding to the version of Ultima
8 that you own. I have no idea what applying the wrong one will do,
but it probably won't be good. <:)

There are also patches at
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ultima8/download.html#u8patch> which
deal with several soundcard issues in U8, and allow the game to
play music from an Adlib card.
Following the popular acclaim his U7run patch (see Section
5.14.1) received, Dragon Baroque wrote a patch allowing U8 to run
under Windows 9x. Gaseous Dragon is hosting this patch at
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U8inWindows.html>.

5.17.2) Cheats

AFAIK, the easiest way to cheat in U8 is to use the following
program, which modifies your current savegame. It can be found at
<ftp://www.udic.net/pub/ultima/u8/hacks/u8cheat2.zip>. I have not
personally tried this so if anyone has some feedback on its
functionality, please e-mail me at <rgcu...@daisho.demon.co.uk>.
Paulon Dragon also has some methods on how to cheat on his Ultima
8 page at <http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Ultima8.htm>.

5.17.3) Where is the Birthplace of Moriens?

There are two possibilities. If you have applied the Ultima 8
patch (See Section 5.17.1), then the birthplace is behind a door
labelled "The Birthplace of Moriens" in the upper catacombs.
If you have not applied the patch, then the birthplace does not
exist. It is generally considered that the place to go next is a
door labelled "Towards Fate Do You Travel". This is the same door as
mentioned above -- it was simply renamed by the patch.

5.17.4) The Lost Vale

The Lost Vale was a proposed add-on for Ultima 8: Pagan.
Unfortunately Ultima 8 sold so poorly that Origin chose to cancel the
project at the early design stage. Instead, Origin decided to
concentrate its resources on Ultima 9, and latterly Ultima Online,
before Ultima IX: Ascension was finally released.
You can find some mocked up screen shots for The Lost Vale at
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/graphics/ultima8/lostvale.zip>.

5.18) Console Ultimas

5.18.1) Nintendo (NES) Ultimas

The Ultimas known to have been released for the Nintendo
Entertainment System (NES)/Famicom are:

* Ultima: Exodus (aka. Ultima 3)
* Ultima: Quest of the Avatar (aka. Ultima 4)
* Ultima: Warriors of Destiny (aka. Ultima 5)

Ultima: Exodus had a separately purchasable hintbook. All of the
NES Ultimas are pretty faithful conversions with only minor
differences from the Apple ][ versions.

5.18.2) Super Nintendo (SNES) Ultimas

The Ultimas known to have been released for the Super Nintendo
Entertainment System (SNES)/Super Famicom are:

* Ultima: The False Prophet (aka. Ultima 6)
* Ultima: The Black Gate (aka. Ultima 7: The Black Gate)
* Ultima: The Savage Empire
* Ultima: The Runes of Virtue 2

Ultima: The False Prophet started a trend of decreasing quality
of the ports. As the Ultimas got more and more complex on the PC,
the consoles became less and less suitable platforms for conversions.
Ultima: The Black Gate, particularly, is not a very good
translation of the PC game. At the time U7 was being ported to the
SNES, Nintendo was going through a phase where all of their games had
be suitable for children. For example, an important murder was
changed to a kidnapping by Nintendo. Also, I understand that there
is no party and an excess of menus in an attempt to overcome the lack
of a mouse.
The Savage Empire was only released in Japan, though an English
version was mostly completed.
The Runes of Virtue 2 is a console-only game that is supposed to
be very 'Legend of Zelda'-esque. Oh, and I'm told you are supposed
to look for the 'secret' Origin headquarters under the town of
Jhelom. It is apparently rather strange.

5.18.3) Nintendo Gameboy Ultimas

The Ultimas known to have been released for the Nintendo Gameboy
are:

* Ultima: The Runes of Virtue
* Ultima: The Runes of Virtue 2

Both Runes of Virtue games are console-only releases that are
reputedly very 'Legend of Zelda'-esque. Aside from Ultima Online,
these are the only multiplayer Ultimas released by Origin.

5.18.4) Sega Master System Ultima

The only Ultima known to have been released for the Sega Master
system is Ultima 4. This is considered by most to be the best port
of an Ultima to a console. The game came with both of the Ultima 4
manuals and a paper map of Britannia.
Ultima 4 will also run on a Sega GameGear with the Sega Master
System converter in the GameGear cartridge slot.

5.18.5) Sony Playstation Ultima

The only Ultima known to have been released for the Sony
Playstation is Ultima Underworld 1. This seems to be a pretty
faithful port, but it was only released in Japan. A Quicktime
movie made of the gameplay is available at
<http://www.scei.co.jp/soft/movie/slps00742.mov>.

5.19) Ultima Online

5.19.1) What is Ultima Online?

Ultima Online is a virtual, graphical environment, based in the
world of Britannia (and other continents). There was a successful
(and by all accounts extremely fun) pre-alpha test for two weeks
beginning on 1 April 1997, and another starting on 13 May 1997.
There was a beta test between June and September of 1997.
The game has now been released and enjoys continuing popularity.

5.19.2) System requirements

The minimum system requirements for Ultima Online: Third Dawn
are a Pentium II 266, 64MB RAM, Windows 9x/ME, 8MB 3D video card
supporting Direct3D, 16-bit sound card supporting DirectX7, 715 MB
hard drive space, 4x CD-ROM drive, Microsoft-compatible mouse.
The recommended system specs for Ultima Online: Third Dawn are:
a Pentium II 350 MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, Windows 9x/ME, 16MB 3D video
card supporting Direct3D , 16-bit sound card supporting DirectX7,
750 MB hard drive space, 4x CD-ROM drive, Microsoft-compatible mouse.
The minimum system requirements for Ultima Online: Renaissance
are a Pentium 200, 32MB RAM, Windows 9x, 2MB PCI video card (DirectX
supported, set to 16-bit colour), 16-bit sound card (DirectX
supported), 383 MB hard drive space, 4x CD-ROM drive, Microsoft-
compatible mouse, 100% Windows 9x compatible, SLIP/PPP or direct
connect at 28.8Kbps or better with 32-bit TCP/IP stack.
The recommended system specs for Ultima Online: Renaissance are:
a Pentium II 233 MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM, Windows 9x, 4MB PCI video card
(DirectX supported, set to 16-bit colour), 16-bit sound card (DirectX
supported), 650 MB uncompressed hard drive space, 8x CD-ROM drive,
Microsoft-compatible mouse, 100% Windows 9x compatible, SLIP/PPP or
direct connect at 28.8K bps or better with 32-bit TCP/IP stack.
The minimum system requirements for Ultima Online: The Second Age
are the same as Ultima Online: Renaissance, except you need only a
Pentium 166 with 16MB RAM.
The recommended system specs for Ultima Online: The Second Age
are the same as Ultima Online: Renaissance, except you need only 589
MB of uncompressed hard drive space.
The original Ultima Online minimum requirements specified a
Pentium 133, a 1MB PCI video card, and 261 MB hard drive space. The
rest of the requirements are the same as the ones for the UO:T2A
minimum system.
The original Ultima Online recommended specs were a Pentium 166,
a 2MB PCI video card, and 550 MB uncompressed hard drive space. The
rest of the requirements are the same as the ones for the UO:T2A
recommended system.

NOTE: Third Dawn uses a 3D engine, but comes packaged with the latest
2D client, in effect a patched version of UO: Renaissance. There is
an entire land, Ilshenar, that can be reached only with the 3D client,
but EA is releasing a new UO version called Lord Blackthorn's
Revenge, allowing 2D clients to enter the currently 3D only areas.
Details can be found at <http://www.uolbr.com/>.

5.19.3) Where can I find out more about Ultima Online?

There are many Ultima Online web pages. The official EA
website is the Origin Worlds Online web site at <http://www.uo.com/>.
Origin wrote several FAQs about the game, which are available at
<http://support.uo.com/faq.html>.
The FAQ for the newsgroup rec.games.computer.ultima.online is
an excellent place to start when subscribing to the UO newsgroup.
As well as being posted in rgcuo every Wednesday, the FAQ is
available at <http://www.area88.demon.co.uk/rgcuofaq.txt>.

5.19.4) Are there any non-subscription UO servers?

A number of people run their own versions of UO, which you won't
have to pay a monthly fee to play. One of the most popular with
the Ultima Dragons is Ultima Legacy, for which more information can
be found at <http://legacy.ultimainfo.net/>.

5.20) Ultima 9: Ascension

5.20.1) Patches

The final official patch has been released for Ultima 9. The
patch fixes many Direct3D problems and other game-killing bugs.
The patch, version 1.18f, is available at the following location:
<ftp://ftp.owo.com/pub/ua/patch/u9patch118.exe>.

[Paulon Dragon offers the following warning about the recent patch:]

"The saved games created by the final version (v1.18) don't
seem to be entirely compatible with the unpatched game, unlike for
v1.07 and v1.05. Saved games /will/ load, but the game will start
with an error message (displayed using the same style of dialogue box
as the Quit option), and will crash within a few minutes of play."

There is an unofficial patch for U9 (referred to as v1.19, though
it is /not/ supported by EA), available at
<http://www.fansforultima.com/u9downloads.htm>. Other
U9 downloads, such as the popular Dialogue/Monster/Economy patch
(addressing what many U9 players felt were gameplay problems), are
also available from the site.

5.20.2) Why doesn't Ultima 9: Ascension work with my system?

Ultima 9: Ascension was released in a buggy state. A good place
to look for help is DarkSharp's and WindForce Dragon's Ultima 9
Technical FAQ at <http://www.gulbsoft.de/faq.latest.html>. (An
excellent mirror is at Bluesnews:
<http://www.bluesnews.com/faqs/u9faq.shtml>.)

5.20.3) Where can I find out more about Ultima 9: Ascension?

There is an Ultima 9: Ascension FAQ maintained by Terilim Dragon,
at <http://www.powerup.com.au/~gjdanger/Terilem/> which includes all
known screenshots released by Origin.
The official Ultima IX: Ascension website can still be found at
<http://www.ultima-ascension.com/>. Origin also used to maintain a
web-based discussion board at <http://boards.owo.com/>. Though the
board is now closed, some of the technical discussions are still
available for reading and problem searches.
The original plot for Ultima 9, before it underwent extensive
rewriting, is kept here:
<http://www.rpgplanet.com/ultima9/extra_stuff/original_plot.shtml>.
The Eriadain team is also hosting the old trailers for U9 in the
downloads section of its website (see Section 5.24.10).

5.20.4) Tools for Ultima IX: Ascension

There are two main programs I'm aware of which add functionality
(and stability) to U9.
UIX Power Tools is a suite of programs, released as freeware,
which allows owners of the game to customise a great many aspects of
it. Specifically, UIX Game Options & Cheats replaces the Hardware
Options program, to offer more preference selections. UIX Keymap
Editor allows keyboard bindings to be created more easily, and UIX
starter offers greater performance for players with only 64MB of
RAM, by restarting their system with only U9 and the files it needs
running.
Xenerkes Dragon has written Ultima IX:Ascension Extended Setup,
which provides a GUI for fine-tuning U9's rather complex options.ini
file. It offers more flexibility than U9's own setup program,
including the ability to edit all keymap commands.
The UIX Power Tools homepage and download site is here:
<http://www.geocities.com/uix_powertools/> and the Ultima IX:
Ascension Extended Setup site is here:
<http://www.geocities.com/xenerkes/>.

5.21) Ultima Underworld 3

5.21.1) Is an Ultima Underworld 3 planned?

Here an excerpt from an interview with Richard Garriott:

"Interesting that you ask, these days Warren Spector, the
producer of the Underworld series, is putting a team together at
Origin, which is intended to work on that project. Underworld III is
not officially planned, but we're collecting people."

[Source: interview with Richard Garriott in October 1996's PC Gamer]

However, subsequent to that, Warren Spector left Origin, Richard
Garriott left Origin to form his own online games firm and, as
mentioned in section 4.3 of this FAQ, OSI has ceased to exist. Add
the fact that Looking Glass (the folks who actually created the
Underworlds) have gone out of business, and it seems very unlikely
there is any prospect of a new Underworld game.
The spiritual successor to the UW games in many people's eyes is
Arx Fatalis, which has made a favourable impression with many Ultima
fans. You can find out more at <http://www.arxfatalis-online.com/>.

5.22) Ultima 10

5.22.1) What do you know about Ultima 10?

Here's another excerpt from the interview with Richard Garriott
mentioned in Section 5.21.1:

"Ultima X [is free to start] from a completely fresh perspective
of what I'll call pseudo-science". "Pseudo-science" as he puts it
will be drawn from the early era of Victorian science (Such as
Leonardo da Vinci's experiments). Although what exactly that will
mean for the Ultima world he's not too sure yet. However, he is sure
that the player will no longer control the Avatar in their journeys,
"But the Avatar will likely show up as a character."

[Source: interview with Richard Garriott in October 1996's PC Gamer]

As stated in Section 5.21.1, however, Richard Garriott no longer
works with EA, so this section is basically for historical purposes
only. I will try to add in a future update what little we know
about Richard Garriott most recent ideas about X, his successor to
Ultima IX. X was to be a near-future game and nothing like what was
mentioned above.

5.23) Ultima Online 2/Ultima Worlds Online: Origin

UO2 (renamed Ultima Worlds Online: Origin by the development team
after Origin was folded into EA) has been axed. EA's statement about
this can be read at the former UO2 website, <http://www.uo2.com/>.
A story which describes events that would have led up to the
expected UO2 plot used to be available at
<http://origin.stratics.com/> but it appears to have been taken down.

5.24) Works in Progress

The following 5.24.x sections describe various Ultima-related
works in progress. While none are fully complete, all would benefit
from your attention and efforts. A full listing of online Ultima
projects can be found at: <http://reconstruction.voyd.net/>.

5.24.1) The former Ultima 1 remake

The team responsible for this project has decided to remove the
Ultima theme from the game they are producing. While the main site
at <http://www.peroxide.dk/ultima/> has at the time of writing made
no mention of the change, the development forum has more details.

5.24.2) "New Moongates"

I can't determine what the actual name for this project is, so
I've given it one based on the announcement in rgcu.* made by its
creator, Philippe Goetz. :) It appears Philippe is attempting to
remake the earlier Ultimas in Java. The project's website is:
<http://www.chez.com/pgo/Ultima/index.html>.

5.24.3) The Exodus Project

The Exodus Project is an effort to bring U2, U3 and U5 up to
newer standards.
Each project has its own development phase, but U2 and U3 now
have full EGA support, and MIDI music is available for both for U3
and U5 (similar to the Ultima 4 upgrade mentioned in Section
5.8.1).
Voyager Dragon, who is responsible for this project, tells me
that a VGA patch for the games is a prospect for the future. More
information can be found at <http://exodus.voyd.net/>.

5.24.4) Ultima IV: The Dawn of Virtue

A ground-up remake of U4, using pre-rendered isometric graphics
and full music, both new compositions and familiar Ultima themes.
More information on the project is available at its website,
<http://www.hut.fi/~jtpelto2/ultima4/>.

5.24.5) Ultima V: Lazarus

An ambitious, ground-up rebuild of U5, using the Dungeon Siege
engine. When complete, the project will require both the PC version
of U5 and a full version of Dungeon Siege to run.
You can find out more about the project at its current home
page, <http://www.u5lazarus.com>.

5.24.6) The Ultima 6 Project

This is an update of U6 for modern PCs, using the Dungeon Siege
engine. The team also intends to fill what its members perceive as
storyline gaps, to improve continuity. You can view trailers and
other information at <http://www.u6project.com/>.

5.24.7) The System Shock Hack Project

This is a project to create an engine that will run the old OSI
game, System Shock. This uses the same engine as the two Ultima
Underworlds, so on its completion, it is expected that TSSHP should
run UW1 and UW2, as well.
There have already been steps to integrate the Underworlds into
the engine, but it remains at an early stage of development. You
can check on its progress at its website,
<http://tsshp.sourceforge.net/sshock.html>.

5.24.8) Underworld Adventures

This is an engine for the original UW game files, allowing them
to be played on modern PCs and operating systems. Tech demos are
available from the project website, <http://uwadv.sourceforge.net/>.

5.24.9) Exult

After four years of work, the Exult project, to create an
Ultima 7 game engine that runs on modern operating systems using
the data and graphics files of the original game, has gone gold.
You can download version 1.0 at <http://exult.sourceforge.net/>.
You can also download the source code at the same location.
Work on it will continue, so if you've ever had the urge to
contribute to an Open Source project, I would urge you to add your
skills to this one.

5.24.10) Labyrinth of Worlds

This is a ground-up remake of UW2. Tech demons are now
available from the project's website,
<http://low.sourceforge.net/>.

5.24.11) Ultima VIII: Exile

Exile is a reworking of U8 for modern PCs, with attention also
paid to problems that caused the original game to be less than
popular with longtime Ultima fans. You can find out a bit more at
the project's website, <http://u8exile.port5.com/main.shtml>.

5.24.12) Eriadain

Eriadain (formerly Alter U9) is an effort to create a
Neverwinter Nights module following the original U9 plot conceived
by Bob White and his co-designers (see Section 5.20.3).
You can find out more at the Eriadain website,
<http://membres.lycos.fr/eriadain/>.

6) Ultima, the Dragons and The World Wide Web

6.1) The Ring of Dragons

This FAQ can barely scratch the surface of resources available,
and can only list one or two sources of information for each topic.
The Ring of Dragons links together many Ultima- and
Ultima Dragons-related websites and information in an
easy-to-navigate manner.
The Ring's homepage is <http://www2.famvid.com/thor/games/ring/>.

6.2) Ultima Under Emulators

Some Ultimas for different platforms can still be played on a PC,
via emulators of other machines.
Emulation can be a legal grey area. In an effort to clear up
some of the confusion surrounding emulators, Fortran Dragon, the
previous maintainer of this FAQ, offers his own understanding of the
situation:

"I have to insert the standard disclaimer here: I am not a
lawyer; these comments only apply to the US; contact an intellectual
property rights lawyers in your jurisdiction; contents may settle
during shipment; you get what you pay for; void where prohibited; no
refunds.
"Let's start with the basics. To play a game on an emulator, you
need an functional emulator and copy of the game you want to play in
a format that your emulator of choice supports.
"At first glance, this all seems blindingly obvious, but each
part has its legal pitfalls. First, is your emulator completely
legal? Many emulators aren't legal when they are fully functional
because they use the copyrighted ROMs from the computer being
emulated. As far as the law is concerned, unless you made a copy of
the ROMs yourself, from an original machine you own, you are
violating the copyright law.
"It doesn't even matter if you own the original machine and
download a set of ROMs off of the Internet. In the eyes of the law
that is still copyright infringement. And without the ROMs your
emulator is useless.
"Other emulators such as Bleem!, a Sony Playstation emulator,
reverse-engineer the original machine in a completely legal manner.
(This how we have all of these IBM PC clones. The clone makers and
support companies reverse-engineered the original IBM PC.) Bleem!
has the added advantage of having its emulator tested in court for
legality by Sony. So far Bleem! has prevailed.
"And to make the picture even more muddy, some companies, such as
Apple, on one hand are very tenacious in the defence of their
intellectual property rights, while on the other hand on, their
websites reference emulators for their older computers. In the case
of Apple, they have a link to Catakig, an Apple II emulator for the
Macintosh. In the case of Catakig, the issue gets further muddied
because Catakig doesn't provide the Apple II ROMs needed for the
emulator, but does provide a program for you to make a copy of your
particular Apple II's ROMs yourself.
"The next step, no surprise, is to make a legal copy of your
original game that is usable by your completely legal, fully
functional emulator. (Sometimes you get lucky, in that your emulator
will run the original media, for example, Bleem! will run the Sony
Playstation version of Ultima Underworld 1 in your PC's CD-ROM
drive.) This is an area where I /cannot/ give any clear guidance
except in the situations where you can't make a copy.
"Nintendo games, for example, come with a bit of verbiage in the
license agreements that specifically prohibits you from backing any
sort of copy of the game cartridge, even for the legally acceptable
purpose of making a single backup. Whether Nintendo's license
agreement is legally valid is unknown since no-one has ever tested
that part of their license agreement in court, vis--vis copyright
law.
"And that leads into the question of 'Is an emulator image I
created from my originals the single legitimate backup copy I am
allowed by the copyright laws?.' If it is a legitimate backup, then
you should be okay for this part. If not, then you are out of luck
if you want to legally use an emulator.
"I hear you saying, 'But what about the game collections that run
under emulators, such as /The Roberta Williams Anthology/ by Sierra?'
While the Anthology does use the AppleWin emulator, we don't know if
Sierra licensed the Apple II ROMs from Apple and this
is a special circumstance or if Apple now lets anyone use the old
Apple II ROMs since Apple no longer makes any significant money from
the Apple II line.
"So, as you can see, the closest thing you can get to a
completely legal emulator/game situation is a Bleem!/original media
combination. After that, things get very nebulous, very quickly."

If you are prepared to go ahead with emulating an Ultima, a good
place to start is the Ultima C64 and Apple II Emulator FAQ, by Archon
Dragon and at Caliaber Dragon, at
<http://strobel.secure.at/ultima/FAQ.html>.

6.3) Ultima Fan Fiction

You can find a list of Ultima fan fiction at Dragon Press,
<http://www.geocities.com/blackthorn2ie/dragonpress/index.html>.
The Lair of the Evil_Freak has additional Ultima fan fiction at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/6423/>.

6.4) How can I put Ultima runes on my web pages?

Archon Dragon wrote a webpage on how to use a Java applet to
display Ultima Runes. It is available at
<http://strobel.secure.at/runes/runes.html>.

6.5) Is there an Ultima Windows 9x desktop theme?

Yes, Micro Dragon constructed a theme with a large collection of
backgrounds, cursors, et al. Unfortunately, Micro's popular site has
long since disappeared, but the theme is still available from Paulon
Dragon's site, at <http://www.ultimainfo.net/Documents/index.htm>.

6.6) Ultima Levels/Maps for Other Games

6.6.1) Civilization 2

The Silly Dragon has a Civilization 2 map available if you e-mail
him at <hundm...@home.com>.
Ophidian Dragon also has a Civilization 2 map available if you
e-mail him at <zacw...@hotmail.com>.
Darkling Dragon also has a Civilization 2 map available if you
e-mail him at <ps...@gnofn.org>.

6.6.2) CivNet

Ophidian Dragon has a CivNet map available if you e-mail him at
<zacw...@hotmail.com>.

6.6.3) Warcraft 2

Vulcan Dragon has a Warcraft 2 PUD available if you e-mail him at
<mcar...@columbus.rr.com>.
Ophidian Dragon also has a Warcraft 2 PUD available if you e-mail
him at <zacw...@hotmail.com>.
Shodan Dragon also has a set of Warcraft 2 PUDs called the Blood
of Britannia -- you can find them at
<http://shodan.home.mindspring.com/ultwar2/>.

6.6.4) Warlords 2

Ophidian Dragon has a Warlords 2 level available if you e-mail
him at <zacw...@hotmail.com>.

6.6.5) Doom 2

Darkling Dragon also has a Doom 2 map of the Ultima 4 version of
the city of Britain available if you e-mail him at <ps...@gnofn.org>.

6.6.6) Unreal

Through the Looking Glass (or TTLG, a site dedicated to the games
created by Looking Glass) has two maps for Unreal and a number for
Unreal Tournament.
The Unreal maps are for Ultima Underworld 1's first level and
the arenas in Ultima Underworld 2's Pits of Carnage. The main TTLG
page for UW is at <http://www.stygianabyss.com/>, but unfortunately,
the links to the maps appear to be broken at present.
The Unreal Tournament maps, for the whole UW1 Abyss, are working
and can be downloaded from:
<http://zerker.ttlg.com/levels.asp?Level=17>.

6.7) Ultima Maps

Xe Dragon has created HRUMP (High-Resolution Ultima Map Project)
at <http://www.dengler.net/xedragon/hrump/>. He has scans of the
Ultima 1, Ultima 2, Ultima 3, Ultima 4, Ultima 5, Savage Empire,
Martian Dreams, both Ultima 7s, and Ultima 8 maps.
Ynnad Dragon has very large Ultima 4 and Ultima 5 maps at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Cavern/5706/>. The maps are
available as Corel Draw 8 files and as Windows BMPs.
Ram Dragon has wallpaper made up of U7 or SI world maps at his
site, <http://psych.utoronto.ca/~duncan/ultima/>.
Paulon Dragon has some scans of Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, Ultima
7 and Serpent Isle at <http://www.ultimainfo.net/Maps/index.htm>. The
maps are available as jpegs.

6.8) Ultima pen-and-paper RPG

I've heard tell that Richard Garriott exhibited a tabletop
Ultima RPG at a convention in the USA, but it unfortunately never
resurfaced. Undaunted, Ultima fans have made several attempts to
create an unofficial pen-and-paper roleplaying game based on the
series.
One such project, Ultima Ressurection (sic -- you'll have to
follow the URL below for an explanation!) has now entered its
playtesting phase. The game was created by Castillo, who has made a
variety of files available for download, in several formats. They
can currently be found at: <http://www.salikon.dk/callisto.html>.
Quill Dragon, who is currently hosting the files, has also
created a number of resources for Ultima Ressurection. These are
available at the same site.

7) Real Time Interactions

7.1) The Weyrmount

7.1.1) What is the Weyrmount?

It's a MOO, a virtual environment for Dragons to interact with
each other. The original Weyrmount was on a Sensemedia server, but
the new Weyrmount II has its own domain (see Section 7.1.2).

7.1.2) How do I get there?

The 'Official' address is <telnet://moo.weyrmount.org:8000/>.
Telnet to that address and follow the instructions on the screen,
which will allow you to connect as a guest.
If you don't get any instructions, then either you are forgetting
the port number, or your telnet client software is ignoring it. If
it is the latter, then you probably have to get a new client.
There is also a web page at <http://www.weyrmount.org/>, which
allows you to connect using a Java applet.

7.1.3) What do I do once I'm there?

[WizTraveller Dragon writes:]

"A MOO is a lot like a text adventure. To walk around, type
stuff like 'Go North'. Actually usually just 'N' will suffice. To
talk to other players, type 'say <your text here>'. There is a
shortcut version, simply typing a double quote instead of say will
work exactly the same way.
"The best way to get help is to page someone. You can type @who
to get a list of all the users who are currently logged on. Then
type 'page <charactername> <your message i.e. Please help me, I'm
new...>' (page can be replaced by an apostrophe). The people on the
MOO are very nice, and are almost certain to help you.
"There is a lot to learn, but most of it is very easy to use
after a short while. Typing help, or help <something> can often
help. While on the Weyrmount, you can also get help by saying the
words (entering the command} 'KAL LOR'.
"The official Weyrmount FAQ is being maintained by Monomolecular
Dragon at <http://www.weyrmount.org/weyrfaq.shtml>."

7.2) IRC

7.2.1) What is IRC?

IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat". It consists of many
"channels", each of which has its own topic. People can join
channels and talk (or rather, type).
Channels of interest to Ultima players include #UDIC on Undernet,
an Ultima Dragons channel, #UO on Undernet, and #Ultima on EFNet.

7.2.2) How do I get there?

First, you need an IRC client. A large archive of IRC clients is
available at <ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/irc/clients/>.
Different clients have different ways of accessing the commands.
For example some of the following commands may be automated, and you
will only need to fill in a dialog box, so please read the
documentation of your client.
You will first need to connect to an IRC server by typing:

/server xxx.xxx.xxx

replacing "xxx.xxx.xxx" with a server near you from the list of
Undernet servers available at <http://www.undernet.org/> (for #UDIC
and #UO), or the list of EFNet servers at <http://www.efnet.net/>
(for #ultima).
If all goes well, you should get a message-of-the-day flashing up
on your screen. Your client may have asked you for a nickname to use
on IRC, but if not then you can type:

/nick <your nickname>

Choose something unique (9 letters max.) -- there are a lot of
people on IRC, and only one person can use each name at a time --
your Dragon name is probably a good choice.
Now, to join a channel, type:

/join #channel

(replacing "#channel" with the name of the channel you want to join).

7.2.3) What do I do once I'm there?

Just start typing. Everything you type is sent to everyone on
the channel (when you press <return>), except for lines beginning
with "/". Anything beginning with a "/" is interpreted as a command.
One useful command is:

/me does something.

which prints on the screens of everyone else in the channel,
"<your nickname> does something".

7.2.4) What does "re" mean?

It essentially means "Hello again". It could come from "re-hi"
or perhaps it is just a shortening of "Regards".

7.3) ICQ

7.3.1) What is ICQ?

ICQ (I Seek You) is a instant messaging program that allows you
to chat directly and privately with your friends (unlike an IRC
channel, although you can set up a private IRC channel if you want
to). You can see when your friends are online, pass files back and
forth, exchange URLs, play games, chat, or send messages for someone
to read when they log on to the Internet.

7.3.2) Where can I find an ICQ client?

You can download the latest version of the official Windows
9x/NT/2000 client at <http://www.icq.com/download/>. This page lists
several mirror sites if the main ICQ download site is slow or
unavailable.

7.3.3) Is there a list of ICQ numbers for the Dragons?

Geomorphic Dragon used to maintain the UDICq list at
<http://www.inficad.com/~geo/udic/udicq.htm> but the site is
currently down.

8) Summary

8.1) Pages

* Text version of the FAQ,
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/games/ultima>

* UDIC FAQ, <http://www.udic.org/faq.html>

* Ultima Dragons' Homepage, <http://www.udic.org/>

* Ultima Dragons Join Form, <http://www.udic.org/join.html>

* Roster Update, <http://www.udic.org/members/>

* RGCUD Creation,
<ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.games.computer.ultima-dragons>

* RGCU* Creation,
<ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.games.computer.ultima-reorg>

* Free News servers,
<http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Chats_and_Forums/Usenet/Public_Access_Usenet_Sites/>
<http://www.findolin.com/>
<http://news.fu-berlin.de/en/register.html>

* Web-based News Servers,
o Google Groups, <http://groups.google.com>

* Furcadia, <http://www.furcadia.com/>

* Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval, <http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/>

* The UDICtionary, <http://www.ultimainfo.net/Misc/UDICtionary.htm>

* Ultima Collectibles FAQ,
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgregg/ultima/collectibles/>

* Ultima Collectors' Guide, <http://www.surfing.net/ultima/ucg/>.

* eBay, <http://www.ebay.com/>

* Yahoo! Auctions, <http://auctions.yahoo.com/>

* Amazon Auctions, <http://www.amazon.com/>

* Encore U1-6 CD Problems,
<http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/Ultima1-6FAQ.html>

* Electronic Arts Online Store, <http://www.eastore.ea.com/>

* Ultima Documentation (Origin), <http://uo.com/archive/>

* Ultima Documentation (Micro, hosted by Paulon),
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Documents/index.htm>

* Ultima Documentation (Trigon),
<http://members.aol.com/trigonman3/intro.html>

* Adobe Acrobat Reader, <http://www.adobe.com/>

* Ultima 7 For Beginners,
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/ultima7.html>

* Ultima 7 Under Windows 9x,
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U7inWindows.html>

* Ultima 8 For Beginners,
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/ultima8.html>

* Ultima 8 Under Windows 9x,
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U8inWindows.html>

* PC Slowdown Page, <http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/>

* Ultima and the AWE32,
<http://www.zip.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/ult-awe32.html>

* Ultima Walkthroughs (Origin), <http://uo.com/archive/>,

* Ultima Walkthroughs (Excalibur), <http://www.cyberenet.net/~redjr/>

* Ultima Dragons Newbie FAQ,
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgregg/ultima/FAQ/udicfaq.html>

* Ultima Gameplay FAQ, <http://www.ultimainfo.net/FAQ/ultimafaqs.htm>

* Ultima Storyline FAQ,
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~anarchy/Ultima/Ultima_storyline_FAQ.html>

* Ultima Timeline FAQ,
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgregg/ultima/history/>

* Akalabeth PC ports, <http://strobel.secure.at/ultima/FAQ.html>
<http://www.geocities.com/minerjr/akalabeth/Akalabetho1.htm>
<http://www.geocities.com/AkalabethRemake/>

* Windows Native Ultima 2, <http://ultima2.voyd.net/>

* Ultima 4 World Map Editor,
<http://psych.utoronto.ca/~duncan/ultima/>

* Ultima 7: Black Gate, Weapon and Armour Ratings,
<http://members.aol.com/UltimaFile/files/u7_sup.txt>

* U7-Wizard,
<http://www.chez.com/pulsarrtc/wizard/ultima/u7wizard.htm>

* Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent Isle, Weapon and Armour Ratings,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/SINotes.txt>

* Ultima 8 Cheats, <http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Ultima8.htm>

* Ultima Online Homepage, <http://www.uo.com/>

* The official Ultima Online FAQs, <http://support.uo.com/faq.html>

* Information on Lord Blackthorn's Revenge, <http://www.uolbr.com/>

* The rec.games.computer.ultima.online FAQ,
<http://www.area88.demon.co.uk/rgcuofaq.txt>

* Ultima Legacy, <http://legacy.ultimainfo.net/>

* DarkSharp's and WindForce Dragon's Ultima 9 Technical FAQ,
<http://www.gulbsoft.de/faq.latest.html>

* The Bluesnews mirror of DarkSharp's and WindForce Dragon's
Ultima 9 Technical FAQ, <http://www.bluesnews.com/faqs/u9faq.shtml>

* Ultima 9: Ascension FAQ,
<http://www.powerup.com.au/~gjdanger/Terilem/>

* Ultima 9: Ascension official site,
<http://www.ultima-ascension.com/>

* The former Origin web-based discussion board,
<http://boards.owo.com/>

* The original Ultima 9 plot,
<http://www.rpgplanet.com/ultima9/extra_stuff/original_plot.shtml>

* Ultima IX: Ascension Power Tools,
<http://www.geocities.com/uix_powertools/>

* Ultima IX: Ascension Extended Setup,
<http://www.geocities.com/xenerkes/>

* Arx Fatalis homepage, <http://www.arxfatalis-online.com/>

* EA's statement about the cancellation of Ultima Online 2,
<http://www.uo2.com/>

* Ultima projects in the works, <http://reconstruction.voyd.net/>

* Ultima 1 remake, <http://www.peroxide.dk/ultima/>

* "New Moongates", <http://www.chez.com/pgo/Ultima/index.html>

* The Exodus Project, <http://exodus.voyd.net/>

* Ultima IV: The Dawn of Virtue,
<http://www.hut.fi/~jtpelto2/ultima4/>

* Ultima V: Lazarus, <http://www.u5lazarus.com>

* The Ultima 6 Project, <http://www.u6project.com/>

* Underworld Adventures, <http://uwadv.sourceforge.net/>

* Exult, <http://exult.sourceforge.net/>

* Labyrinth of Worlds, <http://low.sourceforge.net/>.

* Ultima VIII: Exile, <http://u8exile.port5.com/main.shtml>

* Eriadain, <http://surf.to/eriadain/> or
<http://www.eriadain.t2a.com>

* Ultima C64 and Apple II Emulator FAQ,
<http://strobel.secure.at/ultima/FAQ.html>

* Ultima Fan Fiction,
<http://www.geocities.com/blackthorn2ie/dragonpress/index.html>

* Weyrmount MOO website, <http://www.weyrmount.org/>

* Weyrmount FAQ, <http://www.weyrmount.org/weyrfaq.shtml>

* The Undernet, <http://www.undernet.org/>

* EFNet, <http://www.efnet.net/>

8.2) Other Stuff

* UDIC FTP Site, <ftp://ftp.udic.org/pub/ud/>

* EA's Origin FTP Site, <ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/>

* Windows-based newsreaders,
o Forte Agent/Free Agent, <http://www.forteinc.com/>
o Microplanet Gravity,
<http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/comms/grav25.exe>

* Cutemouse download, <http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/>

* Akalabeth for the Apple II,
<ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/akalabeth/>

* Akalabeth's AppleSoft BASIC sourcecode,
<http://uo.com/archive/ftp/graphics//aklabeth.zip>

* Ultima 1 graphics upgrade patch,
<http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/Ultima1-6FAQ.html>
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/U1patch.zip>

* Ultima 2 slowdown, Quit Game, and Load Game fix,
<http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~palenstn/>

* Ultima 2 divide by zero fix,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/U2SpeedFix.zip>

* Ultima 2 missing planets fix,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Downloads/U2PlanetMapFix.zip>

* Ultima 2/3 CGA Colour fix (for VGA monitors or better),
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>

* Ultima 4 (PC version),
<http://www.zip.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/u4download.html>
<http://home.kc.rr.com/hidalgo/>

* Ultima 4 Graphics and Music Update, <http://www.moongates.com/u4/>

* Ultima 6 PC speaker sound patch,
<http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~ticmanis/PATCHU6.ZIP>

* F-15 Dragon's MDhack utility for SE and MD,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/programs/mdhack.zip>

* Universal Hint System help-files for SE and MD,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/programs/ultuhs.zip>

* Ultima Underworld 1 General MIDI fix,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>

* Ultima Underworld Viewer, <http://www.peroxide.dk/underworld/>

* Ultima Underworld inventory and graphics patch,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/uw1/demoftp.html>

* Ultima 7 General MIDI fix,
<http://uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/ult7gm.zip>

* Ultima 7 Inventory fix,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/u7patch.exe>

* Ultima 7 fix for Riva 128 video boards,
<http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/utils.html>

* Ultima Underworld 2 General MIDI fix,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/Downloads.htm>

* Ultima Underworld 2 inventory and graphics patch,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/uw2/uw2soft.html>

* Serpent Isle General MIDI fix,
<http://uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/ult7p2gm.zip>

* Director's Cut of Serpent Isle Introduction,
<http://www.io.com/~dloubet/gallery/animate/serpisle.htm>

* Ultima 8 patch, English Version,
<ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/u8/u8patche.zip>

* Ultima 8 patch, German Version,
<ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/u8/u8patchg.zip>

* Ultima 8 patch, French Version,
<ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/u8/u8patchf.zip>

* Ultima 8 soundcard patches,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ultima8/download.html#u8patch>

* Ultima 8 Cheat Activator,
<ftp://www.udic.net/pub/ultima/u8/hacks/u8cheat2.zip>

* Ultima 8: The Lost Vale screen shots,
<http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/graphics/ultima8/lostvale.zip>

* Ultima 9 Patch v1.18f,
<ftp://ftp.owo.com/pub/ua/patch/u9patch118.exe>

* Ultima 9 unofficial patch v1.19 and related downloads,
<http://www.fansforultima.com/u9downloads.htm>

* Java applet for displaying Ultima runes on web sites,
<http://strobel.secure.at/runes/runes.html>

* Ultima Win9x desktop theme,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Documents/index.htm>

* Blood of Britannia Warcraft 2 PUDs,
<http://shodan.home.mindspring.com/ultwar2/>

* Unreal Tournament maps for the Stygian Abyss in UW1,
<http://zerker.ttlg.com/levels.asp?Level=17>.

* Ultima maps, HRUMP (High-Resolution Ultima Map Project),
<http://www.dengler.net/xedragon/hrump/>

* Ultima maps, Ultima 5,
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Cavern/5706/>

* U7 and SI world map wallpaper,
<http://psych.utoronto.ca/~duncan/ultima/>

* Ultima maps, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, Ultima 7, and Serpent Isle,
<http://www.ultimainfo.net/Maps/index.htm>

* Ultima tabletop RPG, <http://www.salikon.dk/callisto.html>

* Weyrmount MOO, <telnet://moo.weyrmount.org:8000/>

* IRC Client Archive, <ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/irc/clients/>

* ICQ Windows 9x/NT/2000 Client, <http://www.icq.com/download/>

8.3) Why isn't my page in here?

I welcome submissions, but please be aware that it is simply not
practical to list every Ultima-related resource out there in this FAQ.

9) Acknowledgements

Thanks to the authors of the other pages, software and FAQs
referred to in this document. Thanks also to the Ultima newsgroup
contributors, who have answered some of the questions covered in
this document numerous times without complaint.
In addition, I would like to express my personal gratitude to
those who take the time to help me keep the FAQ up to date.
Comments and suggestions (but not spam) are welcome at the
FAQ maintenance address, <rgcu...@daisho.demon.co.uk>. I can't
promise a reply to everything I receive there, but do read
everything I receive there.

Copyright 2001 Paul Gilham. All rights reserved.
Portions copyright 1998-2000 Edward Franks. All rights reserved.
Portions copyright 1996, 1997 Andrew Charlton. All rights reserved.