Cinnabon's Cinnabon Bar [revisited]

Fortran Dragon

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
From the Void comes cr...@interlog.com bearing this piece of Light...
> Hello fellow Dragons.
> As you may or may not know, there are only a few places you can get a
> Cinnabon in my city -and all are 10k away :( .
[Snip]

Heehee. I read that 10k as 10,000 the first time instead of 10
kilometers. I've been around computers too much. ;)

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Samurai

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Quoth for...@earthlink.net (Fortran Dragon):

>From the Void comes cr...@interlog.com bearing this piece of Light...

>> Hello fellow Dragons.
>> As you may or may not know, there are only a few places you can get
>> a Cinnabon in my city -and all are 10k away :( .
>

>Heehee. I read that 10k as 10,000 the first time instead of 10
>kilometers. I've been around computers too much. ;)

Not really. Despite common parlance, the correct abbreviation for
kilometres is in fact km. </pedantry>

;)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Fortran Dragon

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Well, the k in km does mean 1000, so reading it as 10,000 (metres) is not
> wrong. Reading it as 10240 metres would be a problem, tho. :)

To most Americans that even grasp what 10k meant, it would have
been the same as a "10K run", in other words a 10 kilometer run.

<sigh> Not only do most Americans not use the much more sensible
metric system, most of them screw it up when they simply reference it.

Allan Olley

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
On 2 Dec 1998 07:26:38 GMT, u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius) wrote:
>...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 1 Dec 1998 13:33:38 -0600,
> the entity named Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>-clip-

>> Heehee. I read that 10k as 10,000 the first time instead of 10
>>kilometers. I've been around computers too much. ;)
>-clip-

>Well, the k in km does mean 1000, so reading it as 10,000 (metres) is not
>wrong. Reading it as 10240 metres would be a problem, tho. :)

I think he ment he thought you were measuring distance in kilobytes.
--
d e- N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!6A78! u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP nI+
nPT nS+ nT- y- a19

Infinitron Dragon

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:21:33 -0600, for...@earthlink.net (Fortran
Dragon) wrote:

>From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...
>[Snip]

>> Well, the k in km does mean 1000, so reading it as 10,000 (metres) is not
>> wrong. Reading it as 10240 metres would be a problem, tho. :)
>

> To most Americans that even grasp what 10k meant, it would have
>been the same as a "10K run", in other words a 10 kilometer run.
>
> <sigh> Not only do most Americans not use the much more sensible
>metric system, most of them screw it up when they simply reference it.
>
>--
>
>Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
>-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
>Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
>rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

Indeed, patriotism has a large border with stupidity. ;)

Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
--------------
d++ e+ N+ T+ Om++ U1!24!56!7'!S'!8!KALW!M
u+ uC++ uF++ uG+++ uLB+ uA+ nC+ nR- nH nP+ nI++
nPT nS+++ nT-- wM++ wC+++ wS+ wI-- wN o oA y+ 16
--------------
"Zug!"

Destrius

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 03 Dec 1998 00:13:33 GMT,
the entity named Allan Olley (aol...@accglobal.nospam.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I think he ment he thought you were measuring distance in kilobytes.

-clip-

Maybe, but he didn't mention the bytes part. So that meant I could add in a
comment. :)

--
+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- |

Fortran Dragon

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
From the Void comes Infinitron Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Indeed, patriotism has a large border with stupidity. ;)

Patriotism? No.

Zealotry? Yes.

All in my opinion. :)

Victor Danilchenko

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Fortran Dragon wrote:

> From the Void comes Infinitron Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> [Snip]
> > Indeed, patriotism has a large border with stupidity. ;)
>
> Patriotism? No.
>
> Zealotry? Yes.
>
> All in my opinion. :)

Patriotism and zealotry and not very far apart -- since patriotism by
definition is preference for people of YOUR coutry over others in many
respects, the step is not long towards turning it into prejudice (see
Japanese camps in USA during WWII as an example).
I think that a far superior alternative to loyalty to one's COUNTRY (at
the expense of other countries) is loyalty to humanity.

--
Daermonestroer Dragon

Infinitron Dragon

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

See my other post. Nice, but impractical. ;)

Christopher A Tew

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Hey, yo. Survey time. Okay, who came here to see Victor Danilchenko?
Yeah, yeah...now who came here to see me?

> Patriotism and zealotry and not very far apart -- since patriotism by
>definition is preference for people of YOUR coutry over others in many
>respects, the step is not long towards turning it into prejudice (see
>Japanese camps in USA during WWII as an example).

Or the severe anti-Germanic hatred during WW1 and WW2 here, or the
hatred of people who live in the former USSR that was started in the
50's and hasn't really ended yet.

It's a fine line to toe, I agree. In this era of the
supercorporation, I liken patriotism to being loyal to one's company.
That's an analogy that I'm certain works on as many levels as it fails
on, but I'll go with it for now. I'm too bloody tired to think right
now. Maybe I'll take a nap and talk all about it when I wake. More
likely, I'll forget all about it and live with a different point of
view on life than I have now.

> I think that a far superior alternative to loyalty to one's COUNTRY (at
>the expense of other countries) is loyalty to humanity.

To me, that sounds awfully nice as an abstract goal. However, when I
read news about Muslims lynching Christians or vice versa in
Indonesia, where they're doing it with almost a sexual fervor, and
having to deal with the uncaring world every day, it's awfully hard to
even care one whit about humanity.

The closest thing that I have to a consistant guiding philosophy is
that I remain true to myself, my perceptions, and my principles, and
the rest follows.

-Cat

--
"I'm a wanderer. I'm a rebel. I'm ballz out, dudes. Heh heh."
-Chester, from The Sifl and Olly Show

Lumina Dragon

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

Fortran Dragon wrote:

> From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...
> [Snip]

> > Well, the k in km does mean 1000, so reading it as 10,000 (metres) is not
> > wrong. Reading it as 10240 metres would be a problem, tho. :)
>
> To most Americans that even grasp what 10k meant, it would have
> been the same as a "10K run", in other words a 10 kilometer run.
>
> <sigh> Not only do most Americans not use the much more sensible
> metric system, most of them screw it up when they simply reference it.

Heh. Don't worry; not all do. :) At least, not me, since I've taken many
science courses and know the SI measurements quite well.

-Lumina Dragon

Infinitron Dragon

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
On Fri, 04 Dec 1998 22:34:33 GMT, tik...@lvnospamdi.net (Christopher
A Tew) wrote:

>Hey, yo. Survey time. Okay, who came here to see Victor Danilchenko?
>Yeah, yeah...now who came here to see me?
>
>> Patriotism and zealotry and not very far apart -- since patriotism by
>>definition is preference for people of YOUR coutry over others in many
>>respects, the step is not long towards turning it into prejudice (see
>>Japanese camps in USA during WWII as an example).
>
>Or the severe anti-Germanic hatred during WW1 and WW2 here, or the
>hatred of people who live in the former USSR that was started in the
>50's and hasn't really ended yet.

<snip>

These are political times ; everything we say bursts into Flames. ;)

Destrius

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 04 Dec 1998 19:14:57 -0500,
the entity named Lumina Dragon (kewh...@indiana.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Heh. Don't worry; not all do. :) At least, not me, since I've taken many
>science courses and know the SI measurements quite well.

-clip-

Define a second and a metre. :)

kewh...@indiana.edu

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98

Destrius wrote:

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 04 Dec 1998 19:14:57 -0500,
> the entity named Lumina Dragon (kewh...@indiana.edu)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-
> >Heh. Don't worry; not all do. :) At least, not me, since I've taken many
> >science courses and know the SI measurements quite well.
> -clip-
>
> Define a second and a metre. :)

AFAIK:

Meter: 1/10,000,000th the distance from the North Pole to the Equator.
Second: Ferget exact number, but it is the amount of time taken for some particle
to oscillate a buncha times.

-Lumina Dragon

Destrius

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sat, 05 Dec 1998 19:11:14 -0500,
the entity named kewh...@indiana.edu (kewh...@indiana.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Meter: 1/10,000,000th the distance from the North Pole to the Equator.

-clip-

IIRC it was defined by a few thousand times of the period of a radium atom
or something.

-clip-

>Second: Ferget exact number, but it is the amount of time taken for some
particle to oscillate a buncha times.

-clip-

Twas defined in half-life. Of an isotope of another element starting with
R. Or maybe it was Caesium.

I don't know why I kinda remember this, since its quite pointless
information unless I want real acurracy. Or an atomic clock.

Samurai

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
[munch]

>Define a second and a metre. :)

Precisely 1/60 of a minute and 100cm respectively. ;)

Samurai

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
Quoth Aquamarine Dragon <jdre...@julian.uwo.canada>:
>[-dragons had to be removed. Stupid news server :-( ]

It's back, I'm afraid. I'm proving a point to F-15. :)

[munch]
>For the general public, the second is the time it takes for the watch
>to show that one second has passed. :-)

Does that include the amount of time it takes light rays to travel
from the watch-face to the observer? ;)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~

| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ \/ uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a23
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Lumina Dragon

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98

Samurai wrote:

> Quoth Aquamarine Dragon <jdre...@julian.uwo.canada>:
> >[-dragons had to be removed. Stupid news server :-( ]
>
> It's back, I'm afraid. I'm proving a point to F-15. :)
>
> [munch]
> >For the general public, the second is the time it takes for the watch
> >to show that one second has passed. :-)
>
> Does that include the amount of time it takes light rays to travel
> from the watch-face to the observer? ;)

No, since we would be counting from the time the light rays reach us at
the beginning of the second, to the time they do at its end. Since that is
the same time, they cancel out.

-Lumina Dragon

Samurai

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewh...@indiana.edu>:
[munch]

>I like the definition someone else brought up:
>
>Meter: 100 centimeters
>Second: 1/60 minute

*bows*

Ibn al-Hazardous Dragon

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
In the hall of rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons the entity commonly
known as Lumina Dragon on Tue, 08 Dec 1998 17:56:32 -0500 uttered the
following message:

}No, since we would be counting from the time the light rays reach us at
}the beginning of the second, to the time they do at its end. Since that is
}the same time, they cancel out.

Not if the watch is changing postition compared to the watcher... ;)
-- F
Ibn al-Hazardous Dragon /\
-==(UDIC)==- F / \ F
-==(the UnSPLUTables)==- /\ /____\ /\
Wouldst thou reply, /__\/|\__/|\/__\
Eatest the pie! / || || \
_____________________________/______||__||______\___
d++++ e- N++ T+++ Om- U46!7A!W! u uC++ uF- uG-- uLB-
uA++ nC++ nR nH nP nI++ nPT+ nS+++ nT+ wM---- y a25

Samurai

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewh...@indiana.edu>:

>Samurai wrote:
[munch]
>> >For the general public, the second is the time it takes for the
>> >watch to show that one second has passed. :-)
>>
>> Does that include the amount of time it takes light rays to travel
>> from the watch-face to the observer? ;)
>
>No, since we would be counting from the time the light rays reach us
>at the beginning of the second, to the time they do at its end. Since
>that is the same time, they cancel out.

Ah. Good point. I didn't think of that.

<Homer> Doh! </Homer>