A quick pondering ...

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Samurai

unread,
Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
to
I've just been wondering how the Heart of Gold nutrimat managed to
produce that cup of tea for Arthur, even with Eddie's help. Any
thoughts?

(For those who have no idea what I'm on about, don't worry, it's
fairly inconsequential.) ;)
--
___________________________________________________________
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ \/ uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Paul Ryan

unread,
Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
to
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Samurai Arise from the Depths...

> I've just been wondering how the Heart of Gold nutrimat managed to
> produce that cup of tea for Arthur, even with Eddie's help. Any
> thoughts?
>
> (For those who have no idea what I'm on about, don't worry, it's
> fairly inconsequential.) ;)

The process probably used the same principle as the infinite
improbability drive's creation - there would be a finite probability that
the nutrimat would malfunction and produce something that tastes good as
opposed to something that tastes almost but not quite unlike a cup of tea
(or anything else desired). All it would take is an understanding of what
Tea is (provided by Arthur to the nutrimat), a calculation of the exact
improbability of the malfunction (by the nutrimat and Eddy) that would
produce said Tea, and Eddy fiddling with the Infinite Improbability drive
to produce the exact improbability required to make it.
Boy, it's been a while since I read those. I'll have to visit the library
when it reopens...

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?
The Other Codex http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/Codex.htm

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Phillip S Zibilich

unread,
Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
to


'Course, it could have just had a tea dispenser in it...
--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--
Phillip Zibilich \/ Ultima Dragon and
ps...@gnofn.org Emulation enthusiast
* Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *
"Time is a play thing. But when
it breaks, you're fucked." -- psz
--------------------------------------

Paul Ryan

unread,
Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
to
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Phillip S Zibilich Arise from the
Depths...

> Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> > The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Samurai Arise from the Depths...
>
> > > I've just been wondering how the Heart of Gold nutrimat managed to
> > > produce that cup of tea for Arthur, even with Eddie's help. Any
> > > thoughts?
> > >
> > > (For those who have no idea what I'm on about, don't worry, it's
> > > fairly inconsequential.) ;)
>
> > The process probably used the same principle as the infinite
> > improbability drive's creation - there would be a finite probability that
> > the nutrimat would malfunction and produce something that tastes good as
> > opposed to something that tastes almost but not quite unlike a cup of tea
> > (or anything else desired). All it would take is an understanding of what
> > Tea is (provided by Arthur to the nutrimat), a calculation of the exact
> > improbability of the malfunction (by the nutrimat and Eddy) that would
> > produce said Tea, and Eddy fiddling with the Infinite Improbability drive
> > to produce the exact improbability required to make it.
> > Boy, it's been a while since I read those. I'll have to visit the library
> > when it reopens...

> 'Course, it could have just had a tea dispenser in it...

Why make things simple? Besides, if the nutrimat had a tea dispenser
built in, why did it take so much effort to make it?

Zoctan

unread,
Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
to
Ah, but maybe they just want you to think that. Then, at the last
second...WHAMMO! You never expected it...


Paul Ryan wrote in message ...

Phillip S Zibilich

unread,
Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
to


It was programmed by Microsoft.

Phillip S Zibilich

unread,
Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
to
Zoctan <al...@mornet.com> wrote:
> Ah, but maybe they just want you to think that. Then, at the last
> second...WHAMMO! You never expected it...


My thoughts exactly.

Phillip S Zibilich

unread,
Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
to
Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Phillip S Zibilich Arise from the
> Depths...
> > Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> > > The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Phillip S Zibilich Arise from the
> > > Depths...

> > > > > The process probably used the same principle as the infinite

> > > > > improbability drive's creation - there would be a finite probability that
> > > > > the nutrimat would malfunction and produce something that tastes good as
> > > > > opposed to something that tastes almost but not quite unlike a cup of tea
> > > > > (or anything else desired). All it would take is an understanding of what
> > > > > Tea is (provided by Arthur to the nutrimat), a calculation of the exact
> > > > > improbability of the malfunction (by the nutrimat and Eddy) that would
> > > > > produce said Tea, and Eddy fiddling with the Infinite Improbability drive
> > > > > to produce the exact improbability required to make it.

> >

> > > > 'Course, it could have just had a tea dispenser in it...
> >
> > > Why make things simple? Besides, if the nutrimat had a tea dispenser
> > > built in, why did it take so much effort to make it?

> > It was programmed by Microsoft.

> LOL. But seriously, if Microsoft programmed it, how did they get decent
> tea out of it at all?

> --
> Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
> -==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?
> The Other Codex http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/Codex.htm

> Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
> Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

> Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well


IIRC He didn't.

Paul Ryan

unread,
Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
to

Destrius

unread,
Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
to
...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 27 Oct 1998 05:52:45 +1300,
the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-


>LOL. But seriously, if Microsoft programmed it, how did they get decent
>tea out of it at all?

-clip-

Well, they bought over some tea company recently, and had no time to
convert it to Microslothism.

--
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | |
| Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
| -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
| http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
| Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
| Website: | |
| http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
---| 庄心宇 |---

Samurai

unread,
Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
to
Quoth paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz (Paul Ryan):

>The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Phillip S Zibilich
>Arise from the Depths...
>> Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote:
[munch]

>> > The process probably used the same principle as the infinite
>> > improbability drive's creation -

That'd certainly be my guess, too.

>> > there would be a finite probability that the nutrimat would
>> > malfunction and produce something that tastes good as opposed
>> > to something that tastes almost but not quite unlike a cup of tea

Infinity minus one, judging from what we know of that machine. ;)



>> > (or anything else desired). All it would take is an understanding of
>> > what Tea is (provided by Arthur to the nutrimat),

In some considerable detail, yes.

>> > a calculation of the exact improbability of the malfunction (by the
>> > nutrimat and Eddy) that would produce said Tea, and Eddy fiddling
>> > with the Infinite Improbability drive to produce the exact
>> > improbability required to make it.

Just as well technology had moved on from the ol' finite improbability
generators -- they need a good hot cup of tea to work in the first
place. ;)

>> > Boy, it's been a while since I read those. I'll have to visit the
>> > library when it reopens...
>

>> 'Course, it could have just had a tea dispenser in it...

With bone china service?

>Why make things simple? Besides, if the nutrimat had a tea dispenser
>built in, why did it take so much effort to make it?

American design? >;D

Samurai

unread,
Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
to
Quoth Phillip S Zibilich <ps...@gnofn.org>:

>Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote:
[munch]

>> But seriously, if Microsoft programmed it, how did they get decent

>> tea out of it at all?
>

>IIRC He didn't.

He did once -- Eddie locked up the whole ship trying to do it, which
is why the Heart of Gold would have been destroyed by those Magrathean
missiles were it not for Arthur's 'pretty hoopy piece of thinking'.

And of course, if he hadn't had the good tea, I wouldn't have had a
question to start this thread with, would I? ;)

Allan Olley

unread,
Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
to
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 00:17:31 GMT, Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk
(Samurai) wrote:
>Quoth Phillip S Zibilich <ps...@gnofn.org>:
>>Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>[munch]
>>> But seriously, if Microsoft programmed it, how did they get decent
>>> tea out of it at all?
>>IIRC He didn't.
>He did once -- Eddie locked up the whole ship trying to do it, which
>is why the Heart of Gold would have been destroyed by those Magrathean
>missiles were it not for Arthur's 'pretty hoopy piece of thinking'.
>And of course, if he hadn't had the good tea, I wouldn't have had a
>question to start this thread with, would I? ;)

I am trying to think, I seem to recall that in both the radio series
and the books, it was an attack by Vogons which was the problem, which
occupied the ship. This convinced Zaphod to have a seance and call up
the spirit of his dead (great?)grandfather. In the radio play IIRC,
the real problem is why Arthur would want a cup of tea over the things
that the various products of Cirus(sp) Cybernetics (a bunch of
mindless jerks who will be (and in fact are) the first up against the
wall when the revolution comes) provide. In the radio play Eddie
comes back on line in time to save them, and tells them the
explanation (of why Arthur would want a cup of tea) that came to him
(presumably via Zaphod's (great?)Grandfather) was that "He is a stupid
monkey that does'nt know any better.". In the book I think the ghost
zaps things so that a cup of tea is produced. I could be wrong about
the book, but I am almost sure about the radio play since I can hear
the passage from Eddie in my head.
--
d e- N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!6A78! u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP nI+
nPT nS+ nT- y- a19
-----------
Yours Truly Saint George's Dragon
Allan Olley -==UDIC==-

Phillip S Zibilich

unread,
Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
to


I think you're confusing the books...

Sned The Bold

unread,
Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
to
Samurai wrote:
>
> I've just been wondering how the Heart of Gold nutrimat managed to
> produce that cup of tea for Arthur, even with Eddie's help. Any
> thoughts?
>

very carefully

> (For those who have no idea what I'm on about, don't worry, it's

> fairly inconsequential.) ;)

Samurai

unread,
Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
to
Quoth Sned The Bold <aeh...@ucdavis.edu>:
>Samurai wrote:

>> I've just been wondering how the Heart of Gold nutrimat
>> managed to produce that cup of tea for Arthur, even with
>> Eddie's help. Any thoughts?
>
>very carefully

To (probably mis-) quote Fortran some time ago:

Gad your newsfeed is slow!


--
___________________________________________________________
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~

| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ \/ uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Note Reply-To addy) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a23
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Sned The Bold

unread,
Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
to
Samurai wrote:
>
> Quoth Sned The Bold <aeh...@ucdavis.edu>:
> >Samurai wrote:
>
> >> I've just been wondering how the Heart of Gold nutrimat
> >> managed to produce that cup of tea for Arthur, even with
> >> Eddie's help. Any thoughts?
> >
> >very carefully
>
> To (probably mis-) quote Fortran some time ago:
>
> Gad your newsfeed is slow!

the stupid network has been going down, so I can't always get online...
plus the whole sleep-study-music schedule...

I know, priorities.

Samurai

unread,
Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
to
Quoth Sned The Bold <aeh...@ucdavis.edu>:
>Samurai wrote:
[munch]

>> To (probably mis-) quote Fortran some time ago:
>> Gad your newsfeed is slow!
>
>the stupid network has been going down, so I can't always get
>online...

That sucks.

>plus the whole sleep-study-music schedule...

That's forgiveable, though. :)

>I know, priorities.

*G*

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages