Read this if you want Ultima Collection

Fortran Dragon

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
From the Void comes Copernican Dragon bearing this piece of Light...
> To all persons who post wanting to know where they can get UC:
>
> 1) Have you checked your local electronics store?
>
> 2) Have you tried calling CompUSA direct sales and asking for it? They
> have many stores nationwide, and often times they can have something sent to
> you via UPS or FedEx from one of these stores. You can get the number for
> CompUSA direct sales by calling your local CompUSA outlet. (Look in the
> Yellow Pages.)
> *This is a USA-specific post.
>
> 3) Have you tried asking others who have it if they want to sell it to you?
>
> I think that this should be included in an r.g.c.u.s. faq, along with the
> Cantra problem in SI and other frequently posted problems/questions. Anyone
> else have any ideas?

I'll see about adding this stuff to the rgcud FAQ. :)

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Fortran Dragon

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Maybe we should have a separate FAQ for these questions and have a link
> from the rgcud FAQ to that one, or else the latter would get too big.

Given that an rgcus FAQ would just be a subset of the full rgcud
FAQ I don't see where a second FAQ for just rgcus would be needed,
especially since I crosspost the rgcud FAQ to rgcus, but I could be
myopic.

Anyway, the rgcud FAQ is pretty modest in size compared to some of
the other FAQs out there.

[Obligatory comment: If there is anything you would like to see
included in the rgcud FAQ please email with the comments.]

> I wouldn't mind maintaining such an FAQ, btw. :)

If you feel that the rgcud FAQ isn't meeting the needs of
rgcus feel free to start an rgcus FAQ. Seriously. Let me know if I can
be of any help (especially if you want your FAQ posted to the *.answers
newsgroups).

On the other claw, perhaps we could rework the rgcud to make it
easier for the rgcus to find the stuff they would be interested in.

Either way, please let me know. I want the FAQ or FAQs to be the
best they can.

Destrius

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:12:22 -0600,
the entity named Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

> Given that an rgcus FAQ would just be a subset of the full rgcud
>FAQ I don't see where a second FAQ for just rgcus would be needed,
>especially since I crosspost the rgcud FAQ to rgcus, but I could be
>myopic.

-clip-

Err.. I don't mean an rgcus FAQ. Heck, I don't even suscribe to rgcus. :)

-clip-

> If you feel that the rgcud FAQ isn't meeting the needs of
>rgcus feel free to start an rgcus FAQ. Seriously. Let me know if I can
>be of any help (especially if you want your FAQ posted to the *.answers
>newsgroups).

-clip-

What I'm thinking about would be something like a list of answers to common
Ultima-related questions. So it's something more like an Ultima FAQ and not
a newsgroup FAQ. This could fit in the rgcud FAQ, of course, but I think
that that would not be the correct information to put in a FAQ about a
newsgroup.

-clip-

> On the other claw, perhaps we could rework the rgcud to make it
>easier for the rgcus to find the stuff they would be interested in.

-clip-

What do the people in rgcus think? (This is crossposted, I notice) I'm in
no position to write a rgcus FAQ as I don't post there. (or here. Or
whatever.) An Ultima FAQ would be something I don't mind trying to do, tho.

--
+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- |

Paul Ryan

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
(Posted from rgcu.series)

The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Destrius Arise from the Depths...

> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:12:22 -0600,
> the entity named Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

<Slice n Dice>

> What I'm thinking about would be something like a list of answers to common
> Ultima-related questions. So it's something more like an Ultima FAQ and not
> a newsgroup FAQ. This could fit in the rgcud FAQ, of course, but I think
> that that would not be the correct information to put in a FAQ about a
> newsgroup.
>
> -clip-
> > On the other claw, perhaps we could rework the rgcud to make it
> >easier for the rgcus to find the stuff they would be interested in.
> -clip-
>
> What do the people in rgcus think? (This is crossposted, I notice) I'm in
> no position to write a rgcus FAQ as I don't post there. (or here. Or
> whatever.) An Ultima FAQ would be something I don't mind trying to do, tho.

You mean something on the lines of
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/FAQ.htm ? Something a little
more serious might be a good idea, but I'd guarantee the same questions
still get asked. A lot of people just ask the question here, rather than
look around the Web for resources.
I'd be prepared to help out on the gameplay side if you want to do
something. My technical skills are next to useless though.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Destrius

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 2 Dec 1998 06:03:55 +1300,
the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>You mean something on the lines of
>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/FAQ.htm ? Something a little
>more serious might be a good idea, but I'd guarantee the same questions
>still get asked. A lot of people just ask the question here, rather than
>look around the Web for resources.
>I'd be prepared to help out on the gameplay side if you want to do
>something. My technical skills are next to useless though.

-clip-

Yep. Your site be the bunny. We need something like that, coupled with
perhaps some more technical "How do I set up my sound card" stuff, to
produce an FAQ that handles all our needs. It would mean removing some of
the stuff in the current rgcud FAQ to avoid redundancy, tho.

Paul Ryan

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Destrius Arise from the Depths...
> ...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 2 Dec 1998 06:03:55 +1300,
> the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
> -clip-
> >You mean something on the lines of
> >http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/FAQ.htm ? Something a little
> >more serious might be a good idea, but I'd guarantee the same questions
> >still get asked. A lot of people just ask the question here, rather than
> >look around the Web for resources.
> >I'd be prepared to help out on the gameplay side if you want to do
> >something. My technical skills are next to useless though.
> -clip-
>
> Yep. Your site be the bunny. We need something like that, coupled with
> perhaps some more technical "How do I set up my sound card" stuff, to
> produce an FAQ that handles all our needs. It would mean removing some of
> the stuff in the current rgcud FAQ to avoid redundancy, tho.

I think the way I've answered the questions on my page is a tad frivolous
for a serious FAQ, but they are commonly asked. Browsing through the
rgcu.* FAQ, and simply watching the questions asked gives a few more that
should be in anything you write.

Where can I download the games?
All but U4 you can't.
Contrapuntal Dragon's site at
http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/u4download.html
and Fortran Dragon's site at http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/u4.html
for U4.

In U7 and SI the screen drops off the bottom of the monitor. How can I
fix it? I have a Riva video card.
Use Qfix http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/utils.html

Are there music or graphics patches for U3 and U5?
Not at present.

Are there graphics patches for any games except U4?
The only one currently in existence is a patch which redefines the
colours for U2 and U3. It retains the four-hue CGA tiles, but they are
much more presentable in more realistic colours. Go to the link and click
on Files.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/llogwey/u2/u2.htm

U7: How do I get past the Hydra's room on Ambrosia?
Secret Door in the north wall.

Where is the Comb of Beauty?
Hidden in a chest under a tree south of Columna's house. Key in cellar.

U5: How do I get to the ladder in the last room of Dungeon Deceit?
Get the right hand torch and push the wall behind it to get into the
middle passage.
Push the east and west walls to open the chambers. The last wall to push
is the south one where the wall blocking the last chamber was.

How do I slow down the Ultima games on my super-fast computer?
Utilities from Lost Dragon's New PC Slowdown page at
http://www.ionet.net/~lostdrgn/

How can I get my Soundcard which needs Emm386 (SBLive, Ensoniq) to run
with U7/SI?
Simply put, you can't. The only solution at present is to have a second
sound card installed for older games.

Destrius

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 4 Dec 1998 22:45:04 +1300,
the entity named Paul Ryan (paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I think the way I've answered the questions on my page is a tad frivolous
>for a serious FAQ, but they are commonly asked. Browsing through the
>rgcu.* FAQ, and simply watching the questions asked gives a few more that
>should be in anything you write.

-clip-

Okay. I've saved that. I'll see if I can write up an FAQ. Most of my data
will probably also come from your page, so expect to see yer name in the
credits section or something. :)