Gamespot UA Preview

Fortran Dragon

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
From the Void comes Apteryx bearing this piece of Light...
> I suppose everyone has already seen the Gamespot preview of UA at
> <http://www.gamespot.com/rpg/ultascen/index.html> (since I am never first
> at finding these things). I note it suggests the release will be Spring
> next year, but it doesn't say Spring in which hemisphere.

Was anyone else amused by the fact that Seth Mendelsohn thinks
Ultima III is a single player game? (U1 and U2 are, but U3 introduced
parties to Ultima.)

I guess attention to detail isn't so important for the design
team.

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Alex Beckers

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net) wrote:
: Was anyone else amused by the fact that Seth Mendelsohn thinks
: Ultima III is a single player game? (U1 and U2 are, but U3 introduced
: parties to Ultima.)
: I guess attention to detail isn't so important for the design
: team.

Wasn't it LB himself who misidentified an older Ultima in some
presentation or something?

On the other hand, who cares? You don't have to know any details
about U3's gameplay (and only like 10 lines of plot) to make U:A.

Pariah Dragon
Official r.g.u.d. Wanker
!! Check out the UA Rants and Raves Forum at boards.owo.com !!

UDIC d+ e+ N+ T-- Om++ U1!2!3!4!5!6!A!W!M!7'!L!S'!8! u+ uC uF uG
uLB+ uA+ nC+ nR++ nH nP++ nI nPT- nS nT-- wM wC+ wS- wI--
wN- o- oA+ oE++++(----) y a22

Christopher A Tew

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Hey, yo. Survey time. Okay, who came here to see Alex Beckers?
Yeah, yeah...now who came here to see me?

>Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net) wrote:
>: Was anyone else amused by the fact that Seth Mendelsohn thinks
>: Ultima III is a single player game? (U1 and U2 are, but U3 introduced
>: parties to Ultima.)
>: I guess attention to detail isn't so important for the design
>: team.
>
> Wasn't it LB himself who misidentified an older Ultima in some
>presentation or something?

Let's see, when he was giving the keynote speech at SXSW Multimedia
some years ago, I believe that he identified U6 as U7, U7 as U8, and
said that a screenshot of U8 was of U8. This was years ago, and my
memory is a bit foggy. Also, he took someone on a tour of Origin for
the Austin public access channel, and he stopped by a texh support
person's cube and looked at the game on the screen, which was SI, and
asked the employee if he was playing U5 (or did he say U6? This was
at least 4 years ago...regardless, he misidentified the game again).

> On the other hand, who cares? You don't have to know any details
>about U3's gameplay (and only like 10 lines of plot) to make U:A.

The point is that the creator of a series should know what the games
he "created" look like. The other point is that Garriott said that
Mendelsohn "gets" Ultima, which I suppose fits because neither of them
can remember much about previous Ultimas. ;-) Actually, making a
mistake about U3 isn't a big deal....that game had little or nothing
to do with any other Ultima in terms of design, anyway. :P

-Cat

--
Woof justice rules OK!
---tikicat at lvdi dot net---

Infinitron Dragon

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98

Not so ; it was quite evolutionary in the age of tile-based Ultimas (
U3, U4, U5 ).

It also had a nifty little class system, and interesting world/party
system.

The plot itself was meaningless, but allows much to build on in later
games ( Time Lord, Exodus, Great Earth Serpent ).

Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
--------------
d++ e+ N+ T+ Om++ U1!24!56!7'!S'!8!KALW!M
u+ uC++ uF++ uG+++ uLB+ uA+ nC+ nR- nH nP+ nI++
nPT nS+++ nT-- wM++ wC+++ wS+ wI-- wN o oA y+ 16
--------------
"Zug!"

Alex Beckers

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net) wrote:
: Makes you wonder though when U:A is supposed to be the capstone
: for a series of nine games. Personally, I'd rather the designers lived
: and breathed Ultima.

Personally, I'd rather the designers be good at their jobs --
designing games.

Pariah Dragon
Official r.g.u.d. Wanker

[NOTE: I do NOT represent Origin on THIS NEWSGROUP!]

Fortran Dragon

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
From the Void comes Alex Beckers bearing this piece of Light...

> Fortran Dragon (for...@earthlink.net) wrote:
> : Makes you wonder though when U:A is supposed to be the capstone
> : for a series of nine games. Personally, I'd rather the designers lived
> : and breathed Ultima.
>
> Personally, I'd rather the designers be good at their jobs --
> designing games.

So, it wouldn't matter a whit to you if Ultima IX had nothing to
do with the Ultima series so long as it was a good game?

Or maybe, just maybe, living and breathing Ultima might just be
what a _good_ game designer would do, especially since that Ultima was
the capstone of the trilogy of trilogies?