rec.games.computer.ultima.* Frequently Asked Questions (Part 2 of 3)

Fortran Dragon

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Archive-name: games/ultima
Posting-Frequency: Biweekly
Last-modified: November 29, 1998
Version: 2.03
Copyright: (c) 1998 Edward Franks. Portions copyright 1996, 1997 Andrew
Charlton
Maintainer: Edward Franks <for...@earthlink.net>

rec.games.computer.ultima.* Frequently Asked Questions List (Part 2 of 3)

This FAQ was originally conceived, and written by Andrew Charlton
aka Erratic Dragon, aka Erraticus <char...@ihug.co.nz>. The original
FAQ may be found at
<http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/erratic.html>.

This FAQ is currently being maintained by Fortran Dragon
<for...@earthlink.net> and may be found at:
<http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>.

Unless otherwise stated, the use of "I" and "me" refers to the FAQ
maintainer. The exception to this is the questions which are written by
the archetypical newbie.

4) Technical and Non-Gameplay Issues

4.1) Availability of Ultimas and Ultima Related Merchandise

Underworld Dragon has written The Collectible Ultima, available at
<http://www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/collectibles/>. This contains
information on what Ultima memorabilia exists, and where you might find
it.

4.2) Collections of Ultima Games

4.2.1) The Encore Ultima 1-6 CD

4.2.1.1) Where can I find it?

See section 4.1

4.2.1.2) Problems with the Encore Ultima 1-6 CD

There are several problems relating to the CD which are discussed in
a FAQ by Ultra-Mind Dragon at
<http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/Ultima1-6FAQ.html>.

4.2.2) The Ultima Collection

4.2.2.1) Where can I find it?

See section 4.1.

Origin representatives have stated that the collection is still
available, but it can't be found at Electronic Arts Online Store
(<http://www.eastore.ea.com/>) and several Dragons who work in retail
computer stores have reported that their companies have returned all of
the UC inventory to Origin.

4.2.2.2) Problems with the Ultima Collection

See sections 4.2.1.2, 4.4, 4.5, 4.7.2, and 4.8.

The Ultima Collection comes with the registered version of the PC
slowdown program Mo'Slo and the Ultima 2 speed fix has already been
applied.

The Ultima Collection will automatically install shortcuts for
Windows 95/98, but you must install the Ultima Collection to its default
location (c:\uc) in order for the shortcuts to work properly.

4.3) Missing Documentation

The Encore CD was mistakenly released with no documentation. Origin
has made the docs available at <http://old.owo.com/archive/> listed
under their respective Ultima. (See also, section 4.2)

Note: At this time Origin has stated that the Archive site will no
longer be updated.

Since these are mainly technical docs, they don't capture the feel
of the original manuals, so Micro Dragon has made the original text
available in a variety of formats, complete with some of the graphics.
Available at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1769/dindx.html>.

Trigon Dragon is embarking on a similar project, using Adobe PDF
files, at <http://members.aol.com/trigonman3/ultima.html>.

I think there are certain versions of the Complete Ultima 7 which
came without docs. Most had them on the CD in Adobe PDF format. The
full docs are not available online, but the Trinsic questions are
available at the above URL.

An Adobe Acrobat Reader (required to view Adobe PDF files) may be
freely downloaded at Adobe's website at <http://www.adobe.com/>. There
are many versions of the Reader available for different Operating
Systems.

4.4) Windows 95/98 Issues

Ultimas 1-6 require no special considerations for Windows 95/98, and
will run quite well in a full-screen MS-DOS prompt. (See also section
4.2.2 and section 4.7 for other problems relating to these games)

Erinnyes Dragon has provided a page providing help for Windows 95/98
Ultima 7/7.5 users, and a few other bits and pieces at:
<http://home.HiWAAY.net/~ssweargn/>.

Gaseous Dragon has also provided an Ultima 7 For Beginners page at:
<http://users.wantree.com.au/~rsd/ultima7.htm>.

Ultima 8 is a little less strict on memory requirements, probably
the above U7 solutions will work fine for U8. Gaseous Dragon has an
Ultima 8 For Beginners page at:
<http://users.wantree.com.au/~rsd/ultima8.htm>.

4.5) Lack of Memory

4.5.1) How do I free up more memory?

For Windows 95/98, see section 4.4

For DOS users, you'll probably want to make a boot disk containing
just the bare minimum device drivers.

+ First, format a floppy like so:
+ FORMAT A: /s

+ Then with a text editor, create the following files on the disk:
+ CONFIG.SYS:
+ DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
+ FILES=25
+ DOS=HIGH,UMB
(If you use drivespace include)
+ DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\DRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE

+ AUTOEXEC.BAT:
+ LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE

Whenever you want to play, boot from this floppy.

NOTES: some of your directories may be different, substitute them as
appropriate. I have had difficulty getting Serpent Isle to work, even
with this minimal configuration. Drivespace takes up quite a lot of
space, the only solution I could come up with was to substitute my usual
mouse driver for one which took up slightly less space, either that, or
use a DOS 5 boot disk, so the driver doesn't get loaded. If you do this,
you will only be able to access the uncompressed portion of the drive,
the rest is still there, and will return when you load with DOS 6 again.
Do not include the drivespace line if you use this method.

4.5.2) I still can't get enough!

Some device drivers will cause U7/SI to misreport the memory, and
refuse to start. If you have followed the instructions above, the only
device driver you should have loaded is your mouse driver, try replacing
that.

Unfortunately, among the drivers which cause this problem is the
Maxtor (OnTrack) Hard Drive Overlay (Identifiable by a blue banner when
you start up.) which allows older computers to have larger hard drives.
If you press the 's' key as soon as the blue banner appears, you will
get a DOS message about turning off Dynamic Memory Protection. Answer
Yes, and this may help with the problem.

4.6) Ultimas Run Too Fast

Lost Dragon has set up the New PC Slowdown web page, which contains
many utilities to slow down fast computers. It can be found at
<http://www.ionet.net/~lostdrgn/>.

4.7) Ultima Game Problems

4.7.1) Ultima 2 gives a Divide By Zero error! How do I fix it?

This is caused by fast computers (don't ask me how) the solution is
to use a slowdown program, see section 4.6

This solution will slow down the whole computer. Not much fun if
you're trying to multitask (i.e. Windows 95/98), so there are another
pair of solutions:
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1769/u2fix.zip> (thankfully
supplied by Micro Dragon) includes full instructions.

4.7.2) Ultima 2 maps are wrong! How do I fix it?

"When Ultima II was first released, it was released on three floppy
sides: The Boot Disk, the Player Disk, and the Galactic Disk. The
last two of these disks held the city and world maps, as well as monster
lists and conversation information for Earth and the other planets.

The names used on these two disks for many of the files were
identical. When the Ultima I-VI CD was released, all of the files were
merely dumped together into a single directory which caused some of
the files to be overwritten. Hence, cities, dungeons, and worlds
on the Galactic disk with the same name as a location on Earth are not
available and the Earth Map is used instead.", by The Moonstone Dragon

The solution to this problem was created by The Moonstone Dragon and
the patch may be found at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1769/u2patch.zip>
(again Micro Dragon) or at
<http://www.biochem.mpg.de/~brenner/binary/u2fix.zip> (Minstrel Dragon).

4.7.3) Ultima 2/3 colors are hideous. How do I fix them?

Finire Dragon has written a program that resets the colors used by a
VGA graphics card to emulate the older CGA graphics card to something
more pleasing.

CGA graphics adapters only used four colors (usually cyan, magenta,
black and white), but now we can have blue water, green vegetation and
red lava. You can download the patch from Gildor's World of Ultima at
<http://perso.club-internet.fr/llogwey/u2/u2.htm>. Just click on the
Files option for the menu.

[Source: Paulon Dragon]

4.7.4) Ultima 7 won't work with my Riva 128 video board. How do I fix
it?

The Riva 128 video boards have a problem showing the earthquake
sequence at the start of Ultima 7: Black Gate with the Forge of Virtue
addon installed or in Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent Isle whenever the screen
shakes up and down. Basically, the Riva 128 video boards don't support
all of the original VGA modes thus causing the game screen to side off
the bottom of the computer monitor.

Download qfix.zip from Dr. David's Super Crispy DOS Utilities at
<http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/utils.html> as a temporary fix until a new
(corrected) version of the boards BIOS is released.

You can install this DOS TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) program
to convert the up and down earthquake motion to a side by side motion.

[Source: Xe Dragon]

4.8) How do I get Ultimas to work with my AWE32/AWE64/SB32 sound card?

Contrapuntal Dragon has a page dealing with the common problems of
getting the AWE32 to work with various Ultima games. It can be found at
<http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/ult-awe32.html>.

5) The Ultima Series

5.1) What is Ultima?

Ultima is a long-running series of computer role playing games
(CRPGs). The settings have varied, but many of the games take place in
the land of Britannia, ruled benevolently by Lord British (The alter-ego
of Richard Garriott, the series creator).

The hero (At least from Ultima 4 onwards) is the Avatar, champion of
virtue, who comes originally from Earth, but tends to get transported to
Britannia whenever trouble arises.

5.2) Where can I find hints and walkthroughs?

There is a wonderful selection of Ultima walkthroughs available at
<http://old.owo.com/archive/>, and also at
<http://www.cyberenet.net/~redjr/>.

Kender Dragon has written an Ultima Dragons Newbie FAQ, which
includes a number of frequently requested hints, at
<http://www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/FAQ/udicfaq.html>.

5.3) Continuity

5.3.1) Can you explain any plot inconsistencies?

There are many points of constant speculation on the newsgroups,
most of which are never agreed on, and so cannot be put into a FAQ.
There is an Ultima storyline FAQ,
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/3871/storyfaq.htm> or
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~anarchy/Ultima/Ultima_storyline_FAQ.html>
which does attempt to explain some of these (Written by Chris Billows,
not currently being maintained, I personally would be interested in
someone taking over, for more info, see the end of the FAQ (His, not
mine)), many others remain unanswered. Feel free to post your own
theories, but be prepared for some pretty heavy scrutiny.

5.3.2) How should I pronounce Ultima names?

Many of these are from Ultima 6.
+ Iolo: Yo-Lo.
+ Dupre: Dew-pray.
+ Shamino: Unresolved. Either SHAM-ee-no, or Sha-MEAN-o.
+ Jaana: Again unresolved, possibly Jah-nuh, or Jay-nuh, or Yaa-nuh.
+ Sentri: Sahn-tray.

5.3.3) What order do the Ultimas come in?

Underworld Dragon has written a timeline, putting all events which
have happened in the Ultima world in perspective. It is available at
<http://www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/history/>.

Specifically, the Ultimas come in the order they are listed in this
FAQ. Ultima Online occurs in several parallel worlds, so is outside the
normal Ultima timeline.

5.4) Akalabeth

5.4.1) Where can I find a copy of Akalabeth?

Akalabeth has, as far as I know, been released as freeware, and
Apple II disk image of the game for use with emulators is available at
<ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/akalabeth/aklab
eth.dsk.gz>
or
<ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/akalabeth/Akale
beth+.dsk.gz>

See also Section 6.2

You can find the AppleSoft Basic source code at
<http://old.owo.com/archive/ftp/graphics//aklabeth.zip>.

There is also a PC port (with QBASIC source) at
<http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9127487/ultima/FAQ.html>.

5.5) Ultima/Ultima 1

There is currently no additional information about Ultima 1 in this
FAQ, but see section 5.2 for walkthroughs, etc..

5.6) Ultima 2: The Revenge of the Enchantress

5.6.1) Patches

Micro Dragon has a patch which fixes the Ultima 2 divide-by-zero
error, available at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1769/u2fix.zip>.

Moonstone Dragon has a fix for the Encore CD version of Ultima 2
which supplies the missing inner planets of the 'Galactic Disk', which
got lost by copying both disks into one directory of the Ultima 1-6 CD.
It is available at
<http://www.biochem.mpg.de/~brenner/binary/u2fix.zip>.

Finire Dragon has fix for the ugly CGA colors, available at
<http://perso.club-internet.fr/llogwey/u2/u2.htm>. Just click on the
Files option for the menu.

5.7) Ultima 3: Exodus

5.7.1) Patches

Finire Dragon has fix for the ugly CGA colors, available at
<http://perso.club-internet.fr/llogwey/u2/u2.htm>. Just click on the
Files option for the menu.

5.8) Ultima 4: The Quest of the Avatar

You may freely download Ultima 4 (PC version) from
+ <http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/ultima/u4download.html>
+ <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/u4.html>
+ *Any* member of UDIC may make the Computer Gaming World edition
of Ultima 4 available. (This means that you can't add or delete
anything from the archive.)

Note this does _not_ mean the game is now freeware. Origin still
retains the copyrights to Ultima 4. They are just allowing the Dragons
(and only the Dragons) the chance to make the game available to anyone.

5.8.1) Patches

Joshua Steele has made a patch to update the graphics in Ultima 4
(PC version). See <http://copland.udel.edu/~avatar/u4graph.html> for
more info.

Aradindae Dragon has made a patch to add music to Ultima 4 (PC
version). It can be found at <http://weber.u.washington.edu/~draug/>.

5.9) Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny

5.9.1) Cheats

This from Thirith Dragon. There *is* a kind of a cheat for U5, at
least on the C64. It goes something like this: If you've got between 11
and 15 portions of some reagents, mix a spell containing only such
reagents. Mix 16 portions of this spell. If the spell existed, you now
have 16 spells, plus 96-99 of the reagents.

5.10) Ultima 6: The False Prophet

5.10.1) Patches

There is a patch to fix the sound in U6 for modern computers by
Jason Ely, available at <http://home.hiwaay.net/~ssweargn/download.htm>.

5.10.2) Cheats

Speak to Iolo, and type
spam<RETURN>
spam<RETURN>
spam<RETURN>
humbug<RETURN>

This will bring up a cheat menu.

5.10.3) Who Killed Quenton?

This is another red herring/plot hole. Using standard methods (i.e.
not cheating) there is no way to find out who killed Quenton. It is not
necessary to win the game.

There is a man with a house on the road from Britain to Skara Brae
who refuses to give his name, his name is Michael, and this is the man
who killed Quenton.

This is verified by the cluebook for U6.

5.11) Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire

There is currently no additional information about Savage Empire in
this FAQ, but see section 5.2 for walkthroughs, etc..

5.12) Ultima, Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams

There is currently no additional information about Martian Dreams in
this FAQ, but see section 5.2 for walkthroughs, etc..

5.13) Ultima Underworld 1: The Stygian Abyss

5.13.1) Patches

Panzer Dragon has a patch to upgrade Ultima Underworld 1 to support
General MIDI, available at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Stadium/3859/Uwgm.zip>

5.14) Ultima 7: The Black Gate

5.14.1) Patches

Newton Dragon has a patch to upgrade Ultima 7 to support General
MIDI, available at <http://old.owo.com/archive/ftp/patches/ult7gm.zip>

5.14.2) Cheats

The cheat mode for Ultima 7 part one can be activated by typing the
following on the command line:
Ultima7 abcd[alt 255]<RETURN>

[alt255] is a single, invisible character typed by pressing alt, and
typing 255 on the keypad, then releasing alt.

There is no space between abcd, and [alt 255].

Within the game, the F-keys now have special functions.

There is also an in-game cheat known as the "Trinsic Cheat Room".
It is possible to climb onto the roof Christopher's workshop in Trinsic
using crates to build a staircase. Once on the roof, walk behind the
chimney, and you will be transported to a room which contains many of
the items needed to win the game, and some other goodies.

5.14.3) How do I get past the Test of Truth in the Forge of Virtue?

Very near the beginning of the test is a hood next to a wall, this
is an illusory wall, you can walk through it to a corridor, and
eventually to the TRUE amulet of truth.

5.14.4) How do I get past the Hydra on Ambrosia?

One of the walls is actually a secret door, double click on that,
and it will open.

5.15) Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds

5.13.1) Patches

Panzer Dragon has a patch to upgrade Ultima Underworld 2 to support
General MIDI, available at
<http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Stadium/3859/Uw2GM.zip>

5.15.2) Cheats

This from Thirith Dragon. If you blast any kind of potion, for
example when you attack it repeatedly, it will turn into debris; but the
debris, when used, has exactly the same function as the potion -- with
infinite charges.

5.15.3) Weapon and Armor Ratings

Mitch Aigner has provided a supplement to Ultima 7: Black Gate which
provides weapon and armor ratings (among other things) at
<http://members.aol.com/UltimaFile/files/u7_sup.txt>

[Xe Dragon]

5.16) Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent Isle

5.16.1) Patches

Newton Dragon has a patch available to upgrade Serpent Isle to
support General MIDI, it is available at
<http://old.owo.com/archive/ftp/patches/ult7p2gm.zip>

5.16.2) Cheats

The cheat mode for Serpent Isle is activated by typing the following
on the command line:
serpent pass<RETURN>

or, if you have the Silver Seed addon:
serpent manimal<RETURN>

Within the game, f-keys now have special functions.

5.16.3) Weapon and Armor Ratings

Paulon Dragon has provided a supplement to Ultima 7, part 2: Serpent
Isle which provides weapon and armor ratings (among other things) at
<http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Downloads/SINotes.txt>

[Paulon Dragon]

5.16.4) Where is the Comb of Beauty?

In the north wall of Columna's house (Moonshade) there is a secret
door which leads into the garden. The comb is in a chest partially
hidden behind some foliage. The chest can be opened with a key from the
basement of the house.

5.16.5) Director's Cut of Serpent Isle Intro

Denis Loubet has made the original intro for Serpent Isle available
at <http://www.io.com/~dloubet/SerpIsle.htm>. The original intro was
cut due to space limitations on the 5.25 inch diskettes Serpent Isle
originally shipped on.

5.17) Ultima 8: Pagan

5.17.1) Patches

There was a patch released for Ultima 8 which makes some changes to
the game, among the changes are an improved jumping system, and some
plot holes have been fixed.

The patch is available at the following location, please use the
patch for the version of Ultima 8 that you own. I have no idea what
applying the wrong one will do, perhaps I will try it so I can include
that information.
+ English Version,
<http://old.owo.com/archive/ftp/patches/u8patche.zip>
+ German Version,
<http://old.owo.com/archive/ftp/patches/u8patchg.zip>
+ French Version,
<http://old.owo.com/archive/ftp/patches/u8patchf.zip>

5.17.2) Cheats

The easiest way (AFAIK) is to use the following program, which
modifies your current savegame with the cheat enabled. I have not
personally tried this so if anyone has some feedback on this please
email me at <for...@earthlink.net>. It can be found at
<ftp://www.udic.net/pub/ultima/u8/hacks/u8cheat2.zip>.

Paulon Dragon also has some methods on how to cheat at his Ultima
8 page at
<http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/Ultima_VIII.htm>.

5.17.3) Where is the Birthplace of Moriens?

Two possibilities. If you have applied the Ultima 8 patch
(See section 5.17.1), then the birthplace is behind a door labeled "The
Birthplace of Moriens" in the upper catacombs.

If you have not applied the patch, then the birthplace does not
exist. It is generally considered that the place to go next is a door
labeled "Towards Fate Do You Travel", this is the same door as mentioned
above, it was just renamed by the patch.

5.18) Console Ultimas

There is currently no additional information about the Nintendo,
Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Sega Master System, and/or Playstation Ultimas
in this FAQ, but see section 5.2 for walkthroughs, etc..

5.19) Ultima Online

5.19.1) What is Ultima Online?

Ultima Online is a virtual, graphical environment, based in the
world of Britannia (And other continents). There was a successful (and
by all accounts extremely fun) pre-alpha test for two weeks beginning
the 1st of April, and another starting the 13th of May 1996. There was a
beta test between June and September of 1997. The game has now been
released.

5.19.2) System requirements

5.19.3) When is Ultima Online due out?

Ultima Online has been released. So has Ultima Online: The Second
Age.

5.19.4) Where can I sign up for the Ultima Online beta test?

The beta test is over. If you want to play, you must purchase a copy
of the game.

5.19.5) Where can I find out more about Ultima Online?

There are several Ultima Online web pages, the Origin Worlds Online
page is the official one, at <http://www.owo.com/>.

Origin has written a FAQ, available at
<http://support.owo.com/faq_t2a.html>.

5.20) Ultima: Ascension (Ultima 9)

5.20.1) When will Ultima: Ascension come out?

Our sources say early to mid 1999, this should be taken with the
same caution all game release dates are.

5.20.2) Why is it taking so long?

Ultima 9 is planned to be an epic, it will be the last Ultima to
star the Avatar, and will incorporate, explain, and wrap up all previous
Ultimas. This is an awfully big task, and naturally takes some time.

Here it is, straight from the mouth of Richard Garriot (Lord
British) (Well, almost straight.. translated to German and back to
English...): "We have learned something [from Ultima 8 and Pacific
Strike]. Quality always has to have priority, even against financial
reasons."

Thanks to F-15 Dragon for translating the interview.

In the beginning of 1997, the Ultima: Ascension team helped out with
Ultima Online, putting Ultima: Ascension on hold for a while.

5.20.3) Where can I find out more about Ultima: Ascension?

There is an Ultima: Ascension FAQ maintained by Sith Dragon, at
<http://www.walrus.com/~sith/faqindex.html> which includes all known
screenshots released by Origin.

Origin's official Ultima: Ascension website is at
<http://www.ultima-ascension.com/>.

Origin also maintains a web-based discussion board at
<http://boards.owo.com/>.

5.21) Ultima Underworld 3

5.21.1) Is an Ultima Underworld 3 planned?

Here is another excerpt from the Richard Garriott interview mention
in section 5.20.2:

"Interesting that you ask, these days Warren Spector, the producer
of the Underworld series, is putting a team together at Origin, which is
intended to work on that project. Underworld III is not officially
planned, but we're collecting people."

Yes, loose-lips Garriott has done it again. Make of this what you
will. Since that interview, Warren Spector has left Origin on good
terms, but Underworld 3 may still be in the works - "That's very high on
our to-do list, as a matter of fact" [...] "There's three projects that
will probably become two. Imagine Underworld III, imagine Ultima X as
you might think of it, and imagine Ultima Online II. Ultima X might be
online, and therefore is really the same thing as Ultima Online II.
Ultima X might be first person point of view, so Ultima X could really
be Underworld III. Two of those titles will be done, but we'll probably
do all three of those things in the next two titles."

From an interview with Lord British in October 1996's PC Gamer.

5.22) Ultima 10

5.22.1) What do you know about Ultima 10?

Here's another excerpt from the October PC gamer interview with
Richard Garriott:
"Ultima X [is free to start] from a completely fresh perspective of
what I'll call pseudo-science". "Pseudo-science" as he puts it will be
drawn from the early era of Victorian science (Such as Leonardo da
Vinci's experiments). Although what exactly that will mean for the
Ultima world he's not too sure yet. However, he is sure that the player
will no longer control the Avatar in their journeys, "But the Avatar
will likely show up as a character."

Copyright (c) 1998 Edward Franks. All rights reserved.

Portions Copyright 1996, 1997 Andrew Charlton. All rights reserved.

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>