Vote for best game...

1 view

Samurai

Jun 23, 2001, 7:36:36 AM6/23/01
Quoth Michael McIntyre <mmci...@swva.net>:
>I said so before, but now that I've just solved it again, Serpent
>Isle wins, hands down.
[munch]

I haven't gotten far enough into SI to comment on it yet, but I
suspect at its conclusion, I'll still like U6 best. :)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\//// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a25
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

David & Barbara Schmidt

Jun 23, 2001, 8:06:36 AM6/23/01
I like U6 as a close second (and MD as well, if we can include
non-mainline), but my vote is still for U7BG. I do agree U7s engine is
the most usable, the world is great, so many little details that just
"fit" if you look around enough, a good virtue story, etc etc.

I think if SI could have been fully developed as originally planned, it
would be in the running as well, but the rush to get it out the door is
painfully apparent and detracts from it's appeal to me. I mean Jeez,
multiple characters with the same conversation tree went out in U2 (if
you don't count SE) and the whole "let's just kill everyone halfway
through so we don't have to code those plotlines" was lame.

SI was good, but not great. I liked SI, but I *LOVED* U6, MD and U7BG.

Chocolate Breathing Dragon

--
Antifeminism is the radical notion that both men and women are people.

Zac Bond

Jun 23, 2001, 12:49:50 PM6/23/01

David & Barbara Schmidt <davn...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> I think if SI could have been fully developed as originally planned, it
> would be in the running as well, but the rush to get it out the door is
> painfully apparent and detracts from it's appeal to me. I mean Jeez,
> multiple characters with the same conversation tree went out in U2 (if
> you don't count SE) and the whole "let's just kill everyone halfway
> through so we don't have to code those plotlines" was lame.

*eyebrow*

What characters in SI had identical conversations? Guards, maybe...But
that's been true...I believe forever.

-Ophidian

Illuminate Dragon

Jun 23, 2001, 1:50:40 PM6/23/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:49:50 -0500, "Zac Bond" <zacw...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Automata maybe?
--
Illuminate Dragon *
-==(UDIC)==- -=/_\=-

d++e--NT+OmU1!U2U3U4!U5U6!U7'!S'!U8!U9!A!L!Mu++uC++
uF+++uG-uLB---uA++++nC+nP+nInPTnS+++nT+++y+++a19

Amurath

Jun 23, 2001, 11:04:06 PM6/23/01
"Samurai" wrote:
> I haven't gotten far enough into SI to comment on it yet, but I
> suspect at its conclusion, I'll still like U6 best. :)

U6 is my sentimental favorite.

--
Amurath Dragon -=(UDIC)=-
Owner of one "Give a Free Slap [tm]" card

Samurai

Jun 27, 2001, 7:53:34 PM6/27/01
Quoth "zhentil" <fa...@email.address>:
>> How about a remake using the U7/Exult engine? Would that insult you?
>> I could care less about 3D but the U1-5 engines sucked badly.
>
>Yes, that would insult me. I happen to love the U4 engine, it's the
>best out of all the games,

Erm... what about U5's, which was just an improved version of U4? :)

FWIW, U6 has the best Ultima UI, IMHO. It mixes typing-based dialogue
with a sensible inventory system, reasonable graphics and the
mono-scale world I like. Best of all worlds! *grin*

zhentil

Jun 27, 2001, 8:05:17 PM6/27/01
> >> How about a remake using the U7/Exult engine? Would that insult you?
> >> I could care less about 3D but the U1-5 engines sucked badly.
> >
> >Yes, that would insult me. I happen to love the U4 engine, it's the
> >best out of all the games,
>
> Erm... what about U5's, which was just an improved version of U4? :)

Actually, there's a different feel to the games, so I equate that to the
engines, even though it's really just my perception (and the fact that U4
was the Ultima game that got me interested in the series). Although, U5 has
some very different and bad things happening IN GAME (being arrested, no LB
<g>), those things were meant to be there, and the engine is probably
better.

But I'll always have more fun playing Ultima 4.

> FWIW, U6 has the best Ultima UI, IMHO. It mixes typing-based dialogue
> with a sensible inventory system, reasonable graphics and the
> mono-scale world I like. Best of all worlds! *grin*

I enjoyed the mono-scale world, more realistic, a better approach, but in
actuality, I enjoyed the icon towns (E for Enter) better. Gave more of an
illusion that the world was large (even though the world in U6 is f*cking
HUGE, it doesn't seem as huge as the inhospitable land in U4 and U5).

Oh, and they highlighted keywords in U6, I don't like that :)

--
"we've been Waiting fOr summEr but winter came
we've been enterIng people'S hoMes but it was snowing in therE"

Lumina Dragon

Jun 27, 2001, 8:20:33 PM6/27/01

Can't go wrong there, I say. Now, I wouldn't want the 7s downgraded to
that engine, but seeing 4 and 5 brought up to it would be cool.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Jun 27, 2001, 8:27:27 PM6/27/01

zhentil wrote:

> Oh, and they highlighted keywords in U6, I don't like that :)

UGH. THey do that far too often in a lot of console RPGs I play.

"Go to [this cave], located /to the east/."

I can notetake just fine, I don't need (what one person on a gaming site
Q&A I occasionally read calls) "dummy text".

-Lumina Dragon

Samurai

Jun 27, 2001, 8:45:44 PM6/27/01
Quoth "zhentil" <fa...@email.address>:
[munch]

>But I'll always have more fun playing Ultima 4.

So nothing at all to do with the engine then, really. *grin*

>> FWIW, U6 has the best Ultima UI, IMHO. It mixes typing-based
>> dialogue with a sensible inventory system, reasonable graphics
>> and the mono-scale world I like. Best of all worlds! *grin*
>
>I enjoyed the mono-scale world, more realistic, a better approach, but
>in actuality, I enjoyed the icon towns (E for Enter) better. Gave more
>of an illusion that the world was large (even though the world in U6
>is f*cking HUGE, it doesn't seem as huge as the inhospitable land in
>U4 and U5).

For some reason, the dual-scale world always felt smaller to me,
though I may well be in a minority of one on that one. <:)

>Oh, and they highlighted keywords in U6, I don't like that :)

You can turn that off, which I duly did. It gives a more realistic
flavour, IMHO -- and probably a 'purer' Ultima experience, too, though
since U6 was the first in the series I really played, that wasn't an
issue for me. :)

Zac Bond

Jun 27, 2001, 11:00:41 PM6/27/01

zhentil <fa...@email.address> wrote in message

> Oh, and they highlighted keywords in U6, I don't like that :)

You can turn that off; alt-h I think.

-Ophidian

zhentil

Jun 27, 2001, 11:13:44 PM6/27/01
> > FWIW, U6 has the best Ultima UI, IMHO. It mixes typing-based dialogue
> > with a sensible inventory system, reasonable graphics and the
> > mono-scale world I like. Best of all worlds! *grin*
>
> Can't go wrong there, I say. Now, I wouldn't want the 7s downgraded to
> that engine, but seeing 4 and 5 brought up to it would be cool.

I wouldn't be insulted by that. Actually, 4 would be relatively easy, since
the guy that did the U4 Upgrade patch (I think) has all the conversations,
item locations, etc. catalogued. Although I think it would be more
worthwhile for U5.. Anyone feel like starting a project? Maybe I should.

BTW, if you didn't notice, I suggest 5 because I really don't want anyone to
touch U4 :)

Paulon

Jun 28, 2001, 6:24:44 AM6/28/01
With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Goldenflame Dragon swings
about and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

>In the beginning was the Word, and then Michael McIntyre
><mmci...@swva.net> wrote:
>
>>did a good job of sorting out the whole complex mess. (OK, I'd've never
>>found Silver Pate's treasure without the walkthrough...)
>
>Heh. I found Pate's treasure before even knowing it would exist- I went
>through that forest screen by screen looking for anything that could
>hide things. :>

That was Captain Hawk's treasure. Silverpate's lot was up near the Shrine
of Logic.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!9!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Negate the Spell to Wish me Well...

Goldenflame Dragon

Jun 28, 2001, 1:09:40 PM6/28/01
In the beginning was the Word, and then paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz
(Paulon) wrote:

>>Heh. I found Pate's treasure before even knowing it would exist- I went
>>through that forest screen by screen looking for anything that could
>>hide things. :>
>
>That was Captain Hawk's treasure. Silverpate's lot was up near the Shrine
>of Logic.

I have absolutely no memory of that bit, then. Ah well, it's been 6
years since I played.

Goldenflame Dragon

-=<UDIC>=- Goldenflame Dragon http://www.tumbolia.org/golden.html
d++ e++ N++ T-- Om++ UK1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!9!A u++ uC++ uF- uG++ uLB++
uA(+) nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT+(++) nS++ nTo++ oA++ oE oy++ a25
In the beginning was the Word.
In the end... past honor, past life, past caring...
In the end will be the Word.

Samurai

Jun 29, 2001, 5:48:00 PM6/29/01
Quoth Michael McIntyre <mmci...@swva.net>:
[munch]
>Features, improvements. Especially the conversations. The keywords
>anyone will recognize are already there anyway, so why have the
>option of typing things that won't trigger a response? The U7 way
>means not having to write anything down. I don't write stuff down
>if I can help it.

It's a fuller roleplaying experience if the keywords aren't
highlighted.

If you haven't played pen-and-paper games, you might not appreciate it
so much, but to the die-hard P&P RPG player trying his first CRPG with
Ultima 6 -- as I did -- it can be important to simulate an actual
exchange of conversation. Rather than typing "name", I actually went
for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.

Yes, I really _am_ that sad. ;)

Zac Bond

Jun 29, 2001, 7:08:39 PM6/29/01

Samurai <Sam...@his.reply-to.address> wrote in message

> If you haven't played pen-and-paper games, you might not appreciate it
> so much, but to the die-hard P&P RPG player trying his first CRPG with
> Ultima 6 -- as I did -- it can be important to simulate an actual
> exchange of conversation. Rather than typing "name", I actually went
> for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.

Most of that sort of roleplaying goes on in my head whether I have to type
the conversations or not. THe value of imagination can't be overstated!

-Ophidian

Joseph P.Morris

Jun 30, 2001, 1:09:17 AM6/30/01
In article <3b3cf6a8...@news.demon.co.uk>, "Samurai"
<Sam...@his.reply-to.address> wrote:

> It's a fuller roleplaying experience if the keywords aren't highlighted.
>
> If you haven't played pen-and-paper games, you might not appreciate it
> so much, but to the die-hard P&P RPG player trying his first CRPG with
> Ultima 6 -- as I did -- it can be important to simulate an actual
> exchange of conversation. Rather than typing "name", I actually went
> for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.

Danby: "Join my mob."
Cook: "I shouldn't even think of such things."
Danby: "Come and help me kill everyone and plunder the world."
Cook: "That reminds me of my secret recipe for roast boar.."
Danby: "What? You cook PEOPLE?"
Cook: "Yes, indeed."

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- do...@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Samurai

Jun 29, 2001, 9:05:56 PM6/29/01
Quoth "Joseph P.Morris" <j...@it-he.org>:
>"Samurai" <Sam...@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
[munch]

>> Rather than typing "name", I actually went
>> for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.
>
>Danby: "Join my mob."
>Cook: "I shouldn't even think of such things."
>Danby: "Come and help me kill everyone and plunder the world."
>Cook: "That reminds me of my secret recipe for roast boar.."
>Danby: "What? You cook PEOPLE?"
>Cook: "Yes, indeed."

That was the other advantage -- the potential for amusing
conversations was _much_ higher... :)

Samurai

Jun 29, 2001, 10:41:21 PM6/29/01
Quoth Michael McIntyre <silvan...@ultima-dragons.org>:
[munch]

>>Yes, I really _am_ that sad. ;)
>
>Gack. It never even occurred to me to type all that. Then again,
>U6 was my first Ultima, and I never understood why anyone might
>want to turn off keyword highlighting. Now it makes a bit more
>sense, sortofish...

It's a nerd option, basically. ;)

>As far as pen and paper RPGs, I never wrote anything down in those
>either...

I don't write down much, since the sort of game my main GM runs
doesn't require it. I always have a scribble pad handy, though.

>Of course, to put not note taking into a frame of reference, I
>graduated from my university with a 3.597 GPA, not the best I
>could have done mind you, but I did it without taking notes in
>classes where notes weren't mandatory, and never looking back at
>notes in classes that forced me to take them.

Fair enough -- different strokes for different folks.

In my uni course, by contrast, I took copious notes from lectures, and
then condensed them all down to a two-page crib sheet and rote-learned
it in the last week before finals. I only just scraped an honours
pass, but given how much I loathed my subject by that point and where
I studied, I think I did rather well. <:)

Lumina Dragon

Jun 30, 2001, 8:24:08 PM6/30/01

Samurai wrote:

> Quoth "Joseph P.Morris" <j...@it-he.org>:
> >"Samurai" <Sam...@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
> [munch]
> >> Rather than typing "name", I actually went
> >> for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.
> >
> >Danby: "Join my mob."
> >Cook: "I shouldn't even think of such things."
> >Danby: "Come and help me kill everyone and plunder the world."
> >Cook: "That reminds me of my secret recipe for roast boar.."
> >Danby: "What? You cook PEOPLE?"
> >Cook: "Yes, indeed."
>
> That was the other advantage -- the potential for amusing
> conversations was _much_ higher... :)

Reminds me of some I did....

To Valkadesh: Beh Lem
Valkadesh: To be confused by your accent. To ask what Beh Lem means?

To Lady Lenora of Yew: the fate of the world
Lenora: Noble Avatar, we hardly have time to chat about the fate of the
world in view of the perils facing our land!

To Statue of Mondain: world domination and your long and painful demise
Statue of Mondain: I have no concern for matters such as world
domination and your long and painful demise.
(Good to see he doesn't hold a grudge.)

To Statue of Minax: Mondain
Statue of Minax: I have no concern for matters such as Mondain.
(Oh yeah, the magic is gone.)

See these convos and other nifty pictures at:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Maze/1959/ultima_screens.html

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Jun 30, 2001, 8:25:41 PM6/30/01

"Joseph P.Morris" wrote:

> Danby: "Join my mob."
> Cook: "I shouldn't even think of such things."
> Danby: "Come and help me kill everyone and plunder the world."
> Cook: "That reminds me of my secret recipe for roast boar.."
> Danby: "What? You cook PEOPLE?"
> Cook: "Yes, indeed."

Just out of morbid curiosity -- does Mr. Danby (the one you said you
based this name off of) know what you did to his good name?

-Lumina Dragon

Attentive Dragon

Jun 30, 2001, 10:17:06 PM6/30/01

"Joseph P.Morris" <j...@it-he.org> wrote in message

> In article <3b3cf6a8...@news.demon.co.uk>, "Samurai"
> <Sam...@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
>
> > It's a fuller roleplaying experience if the keywords aren't highlighted.
> >
> > If you haven't played pen-and-paper games, you might not appreciate it
> > so much, but to the die-hard P&P RPG player trying his first CRPG with
> > Ultima 6 -- as I did -- it can be important to simulate an actual
> > exchange of conversation. Rather than typing "name", I actually went
> > for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.
>
> Danby: "Join my mob."
> Cook: "I shouldn't even think of such things."
> Danby: "Come and help me kill everyone and plunder the world."
> Cook: "That reminds me of my secret recipe for roast boar.."
> Danby: "What? You cook PEOPLE?"
> Cook: "Yes, indeed."

Why isn't this on the website, eh? ;)

Joseph P.Morris

Jul 1, 2001, 12:08:36 PM7/1/01
In article <3B3E6E05...@hotmail.com>, "Lumina Dragon"
<kewh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I hope not.

> -Lumina Dragon

Corvid Dragon

Jul 2, 2001, 11:41:23 AM7/2/01
Assuming we can trust timestamps, Samurai said this on Fri, 29 Jun 2001
21:48:00 GMT:

> Quoth Michael McIntyre <mmci...@swva.net>:
> [munch]
> >Features, improvements. Especially the conversations. The keywords
> >anyone will recognize are already there anyway, so why have the
> >option of typing things that won't trigger a response? The U7 way
> >means not having to write anything down. I don't write stuff down
> >if I can help it.
>
> It's a fuller roleplaying experience if the keywords aren't
> highlighted.
>
> If you haven't played pen-and-paper games, you might not appreciate it
> so much, but to the die-hard P&P RPG player trying his first CRPG with
> Ultima 6 -- as I did -- it can be important to simulate an actual
> exchange of conversation. Rather than typing "name", I actually went
> for "Prithee, sirrah, tell me thy name," et al.
>
> Yes, I really _am_ that sad. ;)

Wow... I was sure I was the only one that did this.

^_^ It was a great moment for me when I realized that U6's NPCs would
recognize the keyword in a sentence even if it wasn't the first word.
finally, no more typing "ques" and "virt" and "mant" knowing that they
only look at the first four letters you type. Now, I can say whole
sentences, and they respond as if they really knew what I was saying!!

--
'til next sign,
Corvid Dragon