Lost Vale in U9?

Xe Dragon

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Hey ho.

Here's a suggestion for Origin: why not work the lost "Lost Vale" add-on
for Pagan into U9 somehow? Perhaps a side quest, or maybe even a
"prequel" add-on pack? Hey, I'd even settle for a conversation
reference, or even an in-game book reference.

Many feel that the Avatar was less than virtuous in Pagan, and while
this might make a good background for a redemption theme in Ascension,
it still doesn't feel quite right.

If the Avatar was to have accomplished at least partial redemption in
the Lost Vale add-on, it would be an interesting story. Plus, it would
add a satisfying sense of completion to the pre-Ascension timeline.

What do you think?

--

Xe Dragon

"Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi

Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/

Aidan Howe

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98

I seriously thing origin should consider releasing the lost vale for U8, I
cant count the amuont of stuff I stole, Killed and cheated in U8 compared to
U7. So restriking the balance would be cool. I dont think it should be a
patr of UA though. It's just a missing part of Ultima history and a hole in
every Ultima fans soul.

Zander Dragon

-==(UDIC)==-

AcK!

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 10:26:48 -0500 was when a million monkeys took over Xe Dragon

<xedragon...@xe.net>'s computer and wrote:

>Here's a suggestion for Origin: why not work the lost "Lost Vale" add-on
>for Pagan into U9 somehow? Perhaps a side quest, or maybe even a
>"prequel" add-on pack? Hey, I'd even settle for a conversation
>reference, or even an in-game book reference.
>
>Many feel that the Avatar was less than virtuous in Pagan, and while
>this might make a good background for a redemption theme in Ascension,
>it still doesn't feel quite right.
>
>If the Avatar was to have accomplished at least partial redemption in
>the Lost Vale add-on, it would be an interesting story. Plus, it would
>add a satisfying sense of completion to the pre-Ascension timeline.
>
>What do you think?

I think it's a great idea. The Origin people (LB, Lady MOI) have acknowlegded the
requests. Maybe if we keep bugging them they'll give in... :)

TTYL

... Lightning bolts are hazardous to your health!
krup...@yahoospa.com
remove "spa" to email

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Aidan Howe wrote in message <71qovi$lbt$1...@newsreader2.core.theplanet.net>...

They can't release it, because it doesn't exist. Origin had *barely* begun
working on Lost Vale (as in, only a couple of weeks) when it was cancelled.
Thus, you're asking them to begin writing an extension to U8 *from scratch*,
over four years after its release, when it would obviously have little
possibility of selling any copies at all. After all, only current owners of
U8 (a *four year* old game) could even install it. You might as well ask them
to make Ultima 10 about the Lost Vale; after all, that would have more
potential to sell than a U8 expansion would! And I for one would hope they'd
have something (much!) more original in mind after Ascension, as I'm sure they
already do.

Bob Gregg aka Underworld Dragon
The Notable Ultima: www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/

Lumina Dragon

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98

Aidan Howe wrote:

> I seriously thing origin should consider releasing the lost vale for U8, I
> cant count the amuont of stuff I stole, Killed and cheated in U8 compared to
> U7. So restriking the balance would be cool. I dont think it should be a
> patr of UA though. It's just a missing part of Ultima history and a hole in
> every Ultima fans soul.

Indeed. THe should remake it, but for the U8 as it was intended. They even have
a place to hook it to, from what you people post.

-Lumina Dragon

Dantec

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
Xe Dragon wrote:

> Hey ho.

> Here's a suggestion for Origin: why not work the lost "Lost Vale"
> add-on
> for Pagan into U9 somehow? Perhaps a side quest, or maybe even a
> "prequel" add-on pack?

AHHHHHHHH!!DONT SAY THAT WORD! I BEG YOU!!!-Dantec Dragon
-===========================(UDIC)================================-
On second thoughts... lets not go to Camelot, tis a silly place
d++++ e N+ T+ Om++++ U1234567'S'8!K!A!LW!M
u++ uC++ uF uG-- uLB++++ uA++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI+ nPT nS++ nT
wM wC- wS wI-- wN+ o oA+++
++ 15
The Tome Of The Avatar
http://denmarkwa.net.au/~dantec/build.html

Destrius

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Wed, 04 Nov 1998 21:14:42 -0500,
the entity named Lumina Dragon (kewh...@indiana.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Indeed. THe should remake it, but for the U8 as it was intended. They even
>have a place to hook it to, from what you people post.

-clip-

Is there some way for them to release the U8 specs so somebody could try to
build their own expansion?

Copyright issues would be a problem, tho.

--
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | |

Ranger Fox

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
Robert S. Gregg wrote in message ...
> [SNIP] . . . You might as well ask them

>to make Ultima 10 about the Lost Vale; after all, that would have more
>potential to sell than a U8 expansion would! And I for one would hope
they'd
>have something (much!) more original in mind after Ascension, as I'm sure
they
>already do.

I thought I read somewhere a while ago, maybe as just a desire or as hearsay,
that U:A was to be the last of the Ultima line; that Origin and/or RG was
tired
of Ultima and just want to move on to something else. Does anyone know
for sure?

- Ranger Fox

gr...@aux.com

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
In rec.games.computer.ultima.series Ranger Fox <bso...@h-s-c.u-s-c.edu> wrote:

: I thought I read somewhere a while ago, maybe as just a desire or as hearsay,

: that U:A was to be the last of the Ultima line; that Origin and/or RG was
: tired of Ultima and just want to move on to something else. Does anyone know
: for sure?

It's the last Ultima to feature the Avatar as the main
character.

Lumina Dragon

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98

Destrius wrote:

> Is there some way for them to release the U8 specs so somebody could try to
> build their own expansion?
>
> Copyright issues would be a problem, tho.

Why? Someone used an editor and made a U7BG add-on. Forget who, but the addon is
called Kataba Aja.

-Lumina Dragon

Wolf

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
I heard that it isn't the end of the series, just the Avatar. Supposedly you
no longer get to be the Avatar in Ultima's after this one. He's just some
NPC in the game if they build another one.

Wolf
--
"If they didn't want me to rob it, they'd have put a dragon in front of it"

Ranger Fox wrote in message <71skr4$8e7$1...@usc.edu>...

>Robert S. Gregg wrote in message ...
>> [SNIP] . . . You might as well ask them
>>to make Ultima 10 about the Lost Vale; after all, that would have more
>>potential to sell than a U8 expansion would! And I for one would hope
>they'd
>>have something (much!) more original in mind after Ascension, as I'm sure
>they
>>already do.
>

>I thought I read somewhere a while ago, maybe as just a desire or as
hearsay,
>that U:A was to be the last of the Ultima line; that Origin and/or RG was
>tired
>of Ultima and just want to move on to something else. Does anyone know
>for sure?
>

>- Ranger Fox

Ibn al-Hazardous Dragon

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
In the hall of rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons the entity commonly
known as AcK! on Wed, 04 Nov 1998 23:46:47 GMT uttered the following
message:

}... Lightning bolts are hazardous to your health!

And so is Ibn! ;)
-- F
Ibn al-Hazardous Dragon /\
-==(UDIC)==- F / \ F
-==(the UnSPLUTables)==- /\ /____\ /\
Wouldst thou reply, /__\/|\__/|\/__\
Eatest the pie! / || || \
_____________________________/______||__||______\___
d++++ e- N++ T+++ Om- U46!7A!W! u uC++ uF- uG-- uLB-
uA++ nC++ nR nH nP nI++ nPT+ nS+++ nT+ wM---- y a25

Destrius

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:56:07 -0500,
the entity named Lumina Dragon (kewh...@indiana.edu)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Why? Someone used an editor and made a U7BG add-on. Forget who, but the
>addon is called Kataba Aja.

-clip-

Well, Origin may have something against explicitly allowing people to use
their copyrighted material in a game, even if its an addon.

Phillip S Zibilich

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98

This add-on has been around for quite some time without Origin calling
down the wrath of the Guardian on the author...
--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--

Destrius

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on 6 Nov 1998 19:18:36 GMT,
the entity named Phillip S Zibilich (ps...@gnofn.org)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>This add-on has been around for quite some time without Origin calling
>down the wrath of the Guardian on the author...

-clip-

But for Origin to actually encourage people to create their own add-ons
would be a different matter...

-clip-

> Plingiest Dragon on Weyrmount 2

-clip-

Errr... ? :)

Phillip S Zibilich

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Destrius <u...@the.sig.addy> wrote:
> ...and it was written on the heavens that on 6 Nov 1998 19:18:36 GMT,
> the entity named Phillip S Zibilich (ps...@gnofn.org)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

> -clip-
> >This add-on has been around for quite some time without Origin calling
> >down the wrath of the Guardian on the author...
> -clip-

> But for Origin to actually encourage people to create their own add-ons
> would be a different matter...

True, but if they don't respond in a way that tells the author to stop, I
don't see a problem with making more add-ons.

> -clip-
> > Plingiest Dragon on Weyrmount 2
> -clip-

> Errr... ? :)

> --
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> | Destrius Dragon | |
> | Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
> | -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
> | Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
> | Website: | |
> | http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
> +------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
> UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
> uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
> nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
> ---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

egrin

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--
Phillip Zibilich \/ Ultima Dragon and
ps...@gnofn.org Emulation enthusiast

Plingiest Dragon and 4-1 on Othello on Weyrmount 2

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
I don't think they really gave a damn. I wish there were more such addons,
though.

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Destrius wrote in message <71v63l$msl$2...@newton.pacific.net.sg>...

>...and it was written on the heavens that on Thu, 05 Nov 1998
20:56:07 -0500,
> the entity named Lumina Dragon (kewh...@indiana.edu)

> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
>-clip-

>>Why? Someone used an editor and made a U7BG add-on. Forget who, but the
>>addon is called Kataba Aja.
>-clip-
>
>Well, Origin may have something against explicitly allowing people to use
>their copyrighted material in a game, even if its an addon.

Destrius

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on 8 Nov 1998 12:46:40 GMT,
the entity named Phillip S Zibilich (ps...@gnofn.org)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>True, but if they don't respond in a way that tells the author to stop, I
>don't see a problem with making more add-ons.
-clip-

What I was suggesting was for Origin to actually give all the technical
information needed for people to build a proper addon. U7 is already a very
big game to hack through, and U8 would be even more so, esp. since its
"debugger" isn't very useful...

Xe Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.

I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
include your name so I can credit you.

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
I think Lumina is working on something of the sort. Though, only about
Serpent Isle I think.

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Paladia Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Finn. Who-or what-is he?

Lumina Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Paul Ryan wrote:

> The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Xe Dragon Arise from the Depths...

> > Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> > the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> > contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>

> Here are some of the ones I've seen. They're common knowledge.
> U6:Quenton Murder can't be solved.
> U6:Matt (at the Blue Boar) can't be cured of deafness.

Both intentional.

> UW2/SI:The Blackrock Serpent from the beginning of SI is supposed to be
> obtained in UW2. No-one seems to be able to work out where to get it
> consistently however.

Well, Bill Armintrout asked the people at LGT to put it in, and didn't think to check up on
it.

> SI:Cantra cannot be cured.

Stated in my previous post, this was meant to be put in, they forgot, and it slipped through
playtesting. IIRC.

> U8:The Birthplace of Moriens didn't exist (until the patch fixed it)

Never played U8 yet.

OK then, let's see if I got any.....
.... .... darnit, Paulon, you took all the ones I knew!

Although if you want another intentional one (ala Quenton unsolved), here:
You never do figure out what the Eleomosynator does in Talorus (UW2).

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Paladia Dragon wrote:

> Finn. Who-or what-is he?

This one's simple. He's a beggar who thinks he can scam people by
thinking he is LB. IMHO, U7's beggar, Snaz, is much funnier.

-Lumina Dragon

P.S. Anyone wanna hear a joke? It's about gold! (Heh heh...)

Tim

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

> U6:Quenton Murder can't be solved.

Actually, if you talk to the lone fighter in between britain and skara brae (mongbats and
fighters always end up fighting around there) he'll mention some things about it. I think
his name was Michael, and you can ask about the murder and he'll admit to it. Say "michael"
to quenton and he'll respond in a shiver I think. I never thought he had anything to do with
it until I read the U6 hintbook.

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Lumina Dragon wrote in message <364A3859...@indiana.edu>...

>> Here are some of the ones I've seen. They're common knowledge.
>> U6:Quenton Murder can't be solved.
>> U6:Matt (at the Blue Boar) can't be cured of deafness.
>
>Both intentional.

Actually, the Quenton Murder thread isn't intentional - they just ran out of
time.

>> UW2/SI:The Blackrock Serpent from the beginning of SI is supposed to be
>> obtained in UW2. No-one seems to be able to work out where to get it
>> consistently however.
>
>Well, Bill Armintrout asked the people at LGT to put it in,
>and didn't think to check up on it.

I've had two people write me claiming to have found an "undamaged serpent
statue". But I've never been able to duplicate it. If only we could decrypt
the conversation files, we'd know for sure.

>Although if you want another intentional one (ala Quenton unsolved), here:
>You never do figure out what the Eleomosynator does in Talorus (UW2).

You're right, that one *is* intentional, at least according to Dr. Cat who
wrote the conversations for that character. He also claims there's a "hidden
message" that he buried somewhere in the Talorus world, but nobody has ever
found that either.

(Obscure trivia: "Bliy Skup Ductosnore" is an anagram for "Blue Sky
Productions", the name Looking Glass had when they wrote UW1.)

Lumina Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Infinitron Dragon wrote:

> I think Lumina is working on something of the sort. Though, only about
> Serpent Isle I think.

I am?

-Lumina Dragon, who can never keep track of all
his projects at once. Which one was this again?

Lumina Dragon

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Robert S. Gregg wrote:

> Lumina Dragon wrote in message <364A3859...@indiana.edu>...

> >Well, Bill Armintrout asked the people at LGT to put it in,
> >and didn't think to check up on it.
>
> I've had two people write me claiming to have found an "undamaged serpent
> statue". But I've never been able to duplicate it. If only we could decrypt
> the conversation files, we'd know for sure.

I got this answer form back when Bill read RGCU-D.

> >Although if you want another intentional one (ala Quenton unsolved), here:
> >You never do figure out what the Eleomosynator does in Talorus (UW2).
>
> You're right, that one *is* intentional, at least according to Dr. Cat who
> wrote the conversations for that character. He also claims there's a "hidden
> message" that he buried somewhere in the Talorus world, but nobody has ever
> found that either.

Cool. I shall find it! Once I go home for Thanksgiving break and can play it.

> (Obscure trivia: "Bliy Skup Ductosnore" is an anagram for "Blue Sky
> Productions", the name Looking Glass had when they wrote UW1.)

I did not know that. I did have the suspicion that Eleomosynator is supposed to
be anagrammatical (is that a word?), but can't come up with anything.

> Bob Gregg aka Underworld Dragon
> The Notable Ultima: www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/

-Lumina Dragon

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Xe Dragon wrote in message <3649B752...@xe.net>...
>Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose
ends from all
>the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence
errors,
>contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.

In Ultima 5, somewhere near the Valorian Isles, there's a signpost on a remote
island:
"Sherlock's Isle - Go Away!"

It's unrelated to anything else in the game, and I can't imagine it referred
to anyone on the development team at the time. I expected to find *someone*
in the game, somewhere, that would at least comment on it; but no, nothing.

Paul Ryan

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Xe Dragon Arise from the Depths...

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.

Here are some of the ones I've seen. They're common knowledge.

U6:Quenton Murder can't be solved.
U6:Matt (at the Blue Boar) can't be cured of deafness.

UW2/SI:The Blackrock Serpent from the beginning of SI is supposed to be
obtained in UW2. No-one seems to be able to work out where to get it
consistently however.

SI:Cantra cannot be cured.

U8:The Birthplace of Moriens didn't exist (until the patch fixed it)

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Samson

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Xe Dragon wrote:

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
> I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
> the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
> include your name so I can credit you.
>
> --
>
> Xe Dragon
>
> "Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi
>
> Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
> http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/

How about Ultima II? Yep, thats right, pretty much the whole darn
game :)

Samson Dragon
http://www.en.com/users/fraley/

-=Matt=-

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Xe Dragon wrote:

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
> I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
> the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
> include your name so I can credit you.
>
> --
>
> Xe Dragon
>
> "Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi
>
> Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
> http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/

In u7 there is a strange big black cross in a clearing in the jungle north
of the desert north of vesper i think it is. On the cross is a treasure
chest with tonnes of junk and a key. There is no obvious use for this key.
By the way did anyone know that the gaurdian, when you walk near the
cross, sais "I am the Pagan lord" backwards.
Matt

-=Matt=-

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Xe Dragon wrote:

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
> I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
> the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
> include your name so I can credit you.
>
> --
>
> Xe Dragon
>
> "Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi
>
> Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
> http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/

Also i heard that you can get the two naked people in the bee cave in u7
to confess to something but i cant work out what or how to do it.
Matt

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
You need to ask Tseramed about 'em.

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Spock

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Xe Dragon wrote:
>Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose
ends

U7: After you find out that Garritt and not Tobias stole the silver serpent
venom, you mustn't talk to his father Feridwyn about it. He'll say "I'll
take care of Garritt, let's keep this between us." Everyone still blames
Tobias, and you can't reveal the truth.

U5: If you join with Blackthorne (ie. kill one of your companions in front
of him), he doesn't seem to know what to do with you. I would think he
would be more thrilled at the thought of the Avatar being on his side.

U8: What are the killer children doing north-east of Tenebrae?

U7: What becomes of Nastassia, Amber, Elad, etc in UA?

Lumina Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

-=Matt=- wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Xe Dragon wrote:
>

> In u7 there is a strange big black cross in a clearing in the jungle north
> of the desert north of vesper i think it is. On the cross is a treasure
> chest with tonnes of junk and a key. There is no obvious use for this key.
> By the way did anyone know that the gaurdian, when you walk near the
> cross, sais "I am the Pagan lord" backwards.
> Matt

A semi-well-known U7BG easter egg. I saw a site somewhere that said it knew what the key
was for... can't remember for the life of me where; it's a page with misc. Ultima easter
eggs.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

-=Matt=- wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Xe Dragon wrote:
>

> Also i heard that you can get the two naked people in the bee cave in u7
> to confess to something but i cant work out what or how to do it.
> Matt

Don't bring Tseramed with you; task them until they can't talk no more. You may have to
have spoken to Tseramed beforehand about them.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

Spock wrote:

> Xe Dragon wrote:
> >Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose
> ends
>
> U7: After you find out that Garritt and not Tobias stole the silver serpent
> venom, you mustn't talk to his father Feridwyn about it. He'll say "I'll
> take care of Garritt, let's keep this between us." Everyone still blames
> Tobias, and you can't reveal the truth.

Tell him. Nothing serious ever happens to Garritt anyway.

> U5: If you join with Blackthorne (ie. kill one of your companions in front
> of him), he doesn't seem to know what to do with you. I would think he
> would be more thrilled at the thought of the Avatar being on his side.

This I gotta see....

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

Great Siberian wrote:

> Well, let's try:
>
> 1) In SI, you never find Devra's husband, dead or alive. In the text
> file, I found a letter written by Angus to his wife, apparently before
> his death. But I never found this letter in the game.

IMHO, Angus stumbled upon Batlin & Co. skulking in the basement. He followed them to the
Gate, they caught him, they went through the gate, and they killed him. (Because killing him
before going through would have left eviddence in the basement catacombs)

> After you've completed your quest at the Mountain of Freedom, how come
> you cannot see Filbercio and Frigidazzi anywhere? Where have they
> disappeared?

To the House of the Dead, very nearly in the NW corner of the map. Other than that, I dunno.

> Harna is totally oblivious to the destruction the Bane and Goblins did
> in Monitor.

This is true. (Coding mistake; they forgot.)

> 2) In BG on Scara Brae: If I understood correctly, after I've destroyed
> the Well of Souls, all the spirits were supposed to disappear (except
> for Caine and Tortured One). Yet I find the blacksmith and his wife back
> at their house, and they babble something about losing one another and
> not being able to find each other. Didn't make much sense to me at all.

Hmmmm... probably because Caine (who IS the Tortured One), and those two are outside the
Tower at the time. As for their babble; never talked to them after, myself, so I dunno.

-Lumina Dragon

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Heh. That kinda list is only good for U6 and below. U7's are STACKED with
easter eggs. YAY! :) U8 is too, actually.

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Robert S. Gregg wrote in message ...

>Xe Dragon wrote in message <3649B752...@xe.net>...

>>Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose

>ends from all
>>the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence
>errors,
>>contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
He doesn't admit. He just says there was a debt involved.

Notice the inconsistency, BTW. Quen's wife was Elizabeth, but in U7 they
call her Gwen.

They tried to fix a plot bug, and messed up again. Poor, poor Origin.
;)

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Tim wrote in message <364A49EF...@earthlink.net>...

>> U6:Quenton Murder can't be solved.

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Mr. Nose, hehe. Why'd they get rid of that funny little name for LB? :)

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
The Ultima Bugs chronicles? :)

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Great Siberian

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
-=Matt=- wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Xe Dragon wrote:
>

> > Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> > the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> > contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
> >
> > I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
> > the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
> > include your name so I can credit you.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Xe Dragon
> >
> > "Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi
> >
> > Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
> > http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/
> >

> Also i heard that you can get the two naked people in the bee cave in u7
> to confess to something but i cant work out what or how to do it.

You have to talk to Tseramed and get him to mention people in the cave,
and then talk back to the nudists.

Great Siberian

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
to Xe Dragon
Xe Dragon wrote:

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
> I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
> the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
> include your name so I can credit you.

Well, let's try:

1) In SI, you never find Devra's husband, dead or alive. In the text
file, I found a letter written by Angus to his wife, apparently before
his death. But I never found this letter in the game.

After you've completed your quest at the Mountain of Freedom, how come

you cannot see Filbercio and Frigidazzi anywhere? Where have they
disappeared?

Harna is totally oblivious to the destruction the Bane and Goblins did
in Monitor.

2) In BG on Scara Brae: If I understood correctly, after I've destroyed

the Well of Souls, all the spirits were supposed to disappear (except
for Caine and Tortured One). Yet I find the blacksmith and his wife back
at their house, and they babble something about losing one another and
not being able to find each other. Didn't make much sense to me at all.

3) Pagan: The whole Necromancy thing is a bit confusing. Vividos never
acknowledges that you've finished your pilgrimage (at least in a version
without a patch), and neither he nor Lithos himself react in any way
when the Avatar takes the Heart of the Earth. That's strange,
considering the consequences in the other cases (Hydros sends rains,
Pyros unleashes meteor showers, Stellos dies because his link to Stratos
is cut)

Drifter

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:12:02 -0500, Xe Dragon
<xedragon...@xe.net> wrote:

>Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
>the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
>contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
>I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
>the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
>include your name so I can credit you.
>

>--
>
>Xe Dragon
>
>"Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi
>
>Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
> http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/

U6- The guy from Skare Brae who came through a moongate accidentaly.
Couldn't go back.

Ecool Dragon
d+++ e+ N+ T-- Om+ U1234!56!7'!S'!8ALWM
u++ uC++++ uF- uG++++ uLB++++ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT nS+ nT
wC+ wN oA+++ y+ a14

Fabrice Bouye

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
UW1 :
- where did the mountain men and other races go after the destruction of
the Abyss ?

U7P1 :
- What was the fate of LB and Nell's child ?

UW2 :
- In Talorus, the futurian said that his world and Brittania should have
more contacts in the future and that he'll met the Avatar again...
- The Absence of the Balckrock Order serpent from the game ;
- The Lich in Praecoth Loth'tomb had contact with Modain prior to
Sosaria's destruction does this mean, that this world was part of
Sosaria ???
- Were the big cats in Killorn Keep really the descendant and downgraded
forms of the Killrathy which were allied with Mondain back in the age of
Darkness ?
- Do the Resistance still fight or react against the Guardian in all the
conquered words ?

U7P2 :
- From where did the Ophidians originally come from ?
- Where went the Order followers after they won the war of Imbalance ;
- What was the fate of the Balance Tree seeded by the Avatar back in the
time of the Imbalance War, since by the time of Serpent Isle, the
Imbalance restart to grow, the tree must have died ;
- Where is the Black Sword, it seems the Avatar did not had it with him
in the void. Did the compagnions took it back to Brittania ?
- How did the Compagnions leave Sunrise Island and Serpent Isle ??????

U8 :
- Why did the Avatar's costume changed betweeen U7P2 and U8, is this
another "between games space" (like in U8 and U9) ?
- Where are all the Serpent armor and stuffs carried by the Avatar to
enter the Void in the previous game ? Are they lost in Pagan's ocean ??
- the Lost Vale (no comment) ;
- Arcadion who did not recognize the Avatar ;
- What's the real story with Mordra and her trip to Brittania ?
- Will the Avatar be able to master the EA logo-like device in Mythran's
house ?

In general :
- where are the two other continents of Sosaria ;
- where are all the mystic and magic armors and weapons used in the 5
first games ;

Bouyé Fabrice
DESS Génie Logiciel, Bordeaux I, France
mailto:bo...@emi.u-bordeaux.fr
mailto:bo...@mail.atlantic-line.fr
http://www.emi.u-bordeaux.fr/~bouye

Paul Ryan

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Fabrice Bouye Arise from the
Depths...

> UW1 :
> - where did the mountain men and other races go after the destruction of
> the Abyss ?

Garamon supposedly transported them to Destard. No sign of them in U7
though.

> UW2 :

> - The Absence of the Balckrock Order serpent from the game ;

Supposed to be there, and some people have said they found it. Somewhere.
Nobody ever seems to be able to say where so that others can find it.

> - Were the big cats in Killorn Keep really the descendant and downgraded
> forms of the Killrathy which were allied with Mondain back in the age of
> Darkness ?

It isn't specified, but their ancestors did fight humanoids before a
defeat. Afterwards they devolved until they could no longer use tools.
For the exact transcript, chat to a wisp or look at
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Ultima/FAQ_Part_2.htm#UW2
It still leaves one wondering whether they were specifically the Kilrathi
or not though.

> U7P2 :
> - From where did the Ophidians originally come from ?

I seem to recall they were the people of the Lands of Danger and Despair,
who had lost their leadership with the exile of King Shamino and the
suicide of the King of the White Dragon. The Serpents started giving
advice. It's in one of their history books. heck out Underworld Dragon's
Literal Ultima at http://www.scott.net/~rgregg/ultima/literal/ if you
want to find the exact book (History of Serpent Isle, by Harashash)

> U8 :

> - Arcadion who did not recognize the Avatar ;

The Daemon himself suspects it's a loop caused by dimension travel. I got
the impression Arcadian thinks running into acquaintances at anomalous
points in their personal chronology a fairly commonplace event for
travellers between the worlds.

Xe Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

> > Harna is totally oblivious to the destruction the Bane and Goblins did
> > in Monitor.
>

> This is true. (Coding mistake; they forgot.)

A similar thing happens with the leader of Fawn (whose name escapes me). Once your restore the
comb of beauty to her, she becomes oblivious of the destruction of Fawn. She hangs around the
throne room and reverts to her old conversation answers, speaking about people who are now
slaughtered as if they were still alive.

Maybe just denial? ;>

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
I have a theory that Angus was used to transport a bane, along with Gwenno
and Cantra...

But if so, where is he now? :)

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Lumina Dragon wrote in message <364B86DA...@indiana.edu>...

>Great Siberian wrote:
>
>> Well, let's try:
>>
>> 1) In SI, you never find Devra's husband, dead or alive. In the text
>> file, I found a letter written by Angus to his wife, apparently before
>> his death. But I never found this letter in the game.
>

>IMHO, Angus stumbled upon Batlin & Co. skulking in the basement. He
followed them to the
>Gate, they caught him, they went through the gate, and they killed him.
(Because killing him
>before going through would have left eviddence in the basement catacombs)
>

>> After you've completed your quest at the Mountain of Freedom, how come
>> you cannot see Filbercio and Frigidazzi anywhere? Where have they
>> disappeared?
>

>To the House of the Dead, very nearly in the NW corner of the map. Other
than that, I dunno.

>> Harna is totally oblivious to the destruction the Bane and Goblins did
>> in Monitor.
>
>This is true. (Coding mistake; they forgot.)
>

>> 2) In BG on Scara Brae: If I understood correctly, after I've destroyed
>> the Well of Souls, all the spirits were supposed to disappear (except
>> for Caine and Tortured One). Yet I find the blacksmith and his wife back
>> at their house, and they babble something about losing one another and
>> not being able to find each other. Didn't make much sense to me at all.

Spock

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

>Spock wrote:
>> U7: After you find out that Garritt and not Tobias stole the silver
serpent
>> venom, you mustn't talk to his father Feridwyn about it. He'll say "I'll
>> take care of Garritt, let's keep this between us." Everyone still blames
>> Tobias, and you can't reveal the truth.
>
>Tell him. Nothing serious ever happens to Garritt anyway.

It's the principle that matters. It's unjust to let Garritt get away with
the theft, especially when everyone still thinks it was Tobias... That's
why I went back to a saved game and made sure that everyone knew who the
real thief is... Just don't talk to Feridwyn first.

>> U5: If you join with Blackthorne (ie. kill one of your companions in
front
>> of him), he doesn't seem to know what to do with you. I would think he
>> would be more thrilled at the thought of the Avatar being on his side.
>
>This I gotta see....

There's more to it than I let on. It's been a long time since I played the
game, but I believe you have to talk to the jailor in Yew, the Sorcerer in
the magically locked tower (in SB?), maybe even to the people in Windermere
(sic) - not to mention do some other nasty things, like kill the mage in one
of the villages near Britain - THEN you get a password which allows you to
join with Blackthorne. That's why I mentioned it - you have to do a lot
just to get to that stage, and then nothing...

Btw, what was the name of the group that followed Blackthorne? I know it
was the Resistance on the side of the virtues, but for the life of me I
can't remember the other.

Spock

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Xe Dragon wrote:

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose
ends from
> all the Ultima games.

I thought of a few more -

U7 - after you restore the ether, the mages still run around in rags.

U7 - I can't remember the name of the monk who got lost while in Yew, but
when you find him in Shame, you leave him there.

In general - how many times do I have to come and save Britannia before Lord
British greets me with at least 6 suits of magic armour and a key to the
storerooms?

- I would have thought having the owner of Iolo's Bows in my party would
at least get me a discount on arrows...

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Paul Ryan wrote in message ...

>> - Were the big cats in Killorn Keep really the descendant and downgraded
>> forms of the Killrathy which were allied with Mondain back in the age of
>> Darkness ?
>
>It isn't specified, but their ancestors did fight humanoids before a
>defeat. Afterwards they devolved until they could no longer use tools.
>It still leaves one wondering whether they were specifically the Kilrathi
>or not though.

Given that the cats were called "Trilkhai", which is an anagram of "Kilrathi",
I don't think there's much doubt. ;-)

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Background Dragon wrote in message <364C5929...@wantree.com.au>...
>I DID manage to get the serpent in UW2 once, you get it from the goblins
>in the sewers under Castle British. As far as I can remember I talked
>nasty to them at first, demanded to know what the hell they were doing
>in the sewers.

That's exactly what the other person told me too - that it came from a goblin
in the sewers, specifically the one that teaches you Tracking. I tried all
sorts of things to get it to work, but couldn't duplicate it. If you could
recall the nature of the message he gives you, that would help - I suspect
it's delivered after a specific game flag is tripped, but have no idea what
that flag might be.

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Robert S. Gregg wrote in message ...
>That's exactly what the other person told me too - that it came from a goblin
>in the sewers, specifically the one that teaches you Tracking.

Holy cow.... I just found the Underworld serpent too.

I just loaded up my old UW2 game character, which was near the end of the
game. Specifically, he had finished seven or eight of the worlds - I'll have
to figure out the exact game flag later. Anyway, you go back to the goblin
who teaches you tracking (which isn't easy to get either; you have to follow a
specific conversation path the first time you talk to him before he'll teach
it to you), and this time he said something different. Apparently the goblins
had found a man near death somewhere in the Serpent's Spine, 50 years before
the events in UW2 (i.e. circa 0313). The man was dying from arrow wounds, and
only managed to gasp out a single word before dying: "Pagan!". In his hand,
he held the Serpent, identified in the game as "a perfect serpent statue".
The goblins decide to give it to you, figuring you have more use for it than
they do. I can post the exact conversation if someone wants it; I have the
game saved right before that point.

Now, this raises a couple of interesting questions: How did someone from
*Pagan* get the Ophidians' Order Statue?! What's the connection there? Is
there anything in Serpent Isle identifying when the Order Statue was taken?
Did the Order followers themselves take it through the Wall of Lights? If
so.... did they in fact end up on the world of Pagan?

Interesting, very interesting. In any case, I suppose the UW2 Serpent Statue
thing isn't a loose end after all!

Sned The Bold

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
> Xe Dragon wrote:
> >Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose
> ends

The girl by the shrine of Compassion in U7. I think that could've been
fleshed out a little better (no pun intended)

Lumina Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Fabrice Bouye wrote:

> UW1 :
> - where did the mountain men and other races go after the destruction of
> the Abyss ?

Well, Garamon says he took them to a place called Destard.... given the
known inhabitants of Dungeon Destard in U7BG, which occured shortly after
UW1, you can guess their fate. I wonder if Garamon realized that...

> U7P1 :
> - What was the fate of LB and Nell's child ?
>
> UW2 :
> - In Talorus, the futurian said that his world and Brittania should have
> more contacts in the future and that he'll met the Avatar again...

Sounds cool. Don't remember the part about meeting the Avatar, myself. You
implying it'll be in Ultima IX?

> - The Absence of the Balckrock Order serpent from the game ;

As I said, Bill Armintrout asked the guys at LGT to add it in, and they
agreed. However, they later forgot, so it was left out.

> - The Lich in Praecoth Loth'tomb had contact with Modain prior to
> Sosaria's destruction does this mean, that this world was part of
> Sosaria ???

Unlikely. Mondain, being a mighty sorcerer, and the lich being one as well,
can to extradimensional contacts. Also, recall that after the 'destruction
of Sosaria' at the end of U1, NO ONE had any contact with Mondain. He dead.

> - Were the big cats in Killorn Keep really the descendant and downgraded
> forms of the Killrathy which were allied with Mondain back in the age of
> Darkness ?

Think. Trilkhai/Kilrathi. Recall the wisp in Etherial Void: Blue? The
Trilkhai are descended from the Kilrathi. The same ones who left a ship in
Mack's field. Dunno about any connection with Mondain; where'd you get that?

> - Do the Resistance still fight or react against the Guardian in all the
> conquered words ?

Presumably, they still do.

> U7P2 :
> - From where did the Ophidians originally come from ?

The Ophidians were formerly the Sosarians of the Lands of Danger and
Despair. After the Sundering (my name for it), they lost the other three
lands. Also, one of their kings was out in the lands of LB, and the other
was going insane. Then they heard the voice of the Great Earth Serpent. They
set up their whole belief system, and lived peacefully for centuries, until
the Great Heirophant Ssithnos was killed. (Gleaned from various Ophidian
books)(Note: their culture lasted centuriews, and was gone and ruined by the
time Erstam arrived. Ergo, the time from just after Ultima 1 to just before
Ultima 4 was much longer on the Serpent Isle than in Sosaria. Yet, from U4
to U7SI, the lengths of time are concurrent, about 250-300 years. The time
ratio changed somewhere, this means.)

> - Where went the Order followers after they won the war of Imbalance ;

Through the Wall of Lights in the Order Temple. Where to? Unknown.
Elseworld, is all I know.

> - What was the fate of the Balance Tree seeded by the Avatar back in the
> time of the Imbalance War, since by the time of Serpent Isle, the
> Imbalance restart to grow, the tree must have died ;

Not necessarily. It's fate is also unknown.

> - Where is the Black Sword, it seems the Avatar did not had it with him
> in the void. Did the compagnions took it back to Brittania ?

Without the daemon Arcadion, it is no longer bound to the Avatar, It's
probably with the Companions, yes.

> - How did the Compagnions leave Sunrise Island and Serpent Isle ??????

Very unknown. Two theories present themselves on Err's Dragon Press. "Loose
Strings" is a completely joking description of it, and U7: The Return gives
a cooler portrayal. As for the truth? Who the heck knows?

> U8 :

NOTE: All my knowledge here should be questioned, as it is all secondhand.

> - Why did the Avatar's costume changed betweeen U7P2 and U8, is this
> another "between games space" (like in U8 and U9) ?

OSI felt like it.

> - Where are all the Serpent armor and stuffs carried by the Avatar to
> enter the Void in the previous game ? Are they lost in Pagan's ocean ??

See above.

> - the Lost Vale (no comment) ;

See above.

> - Arcadion who did not recognize the Avatar ;

Also recall that Arcadion is younger than when he was in the Shade Blade.
Since U9 takes place after U7, we know Pagan Time is not revered, so the
best explanation is some form of time travel, possibly a silver moongate. As
for why Arcadion in FOV didn't recognize the Avatar, two explanations:
(storyline explanation): It's been so long that Arcadion forgot his brief
meeting. (Game explanation): That part of U8 wasn't thought of yet, so they
didn't put it in.

> - What's the real story with Mordra and her trip to Brittania ?

Dunno.

> - Will the Avatar be able to master the EA logo-like device in Mythran's
> house ?

Dunno.

> In general :
> - where are the two other continents of Sosaria ;

Somewhere off thataway. :)

> - where are all the mystic and magic armors and weapons used in the 5
> first games ;

The Mystics? Who knows. Those, Enilno, and everything else are lost
artifacts, AFAIK.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98

Spock wrote:

> I thought of a few more -
>
> U7 - after you restore the ether, the mages still run around in rags.

They're too busy with their experiments to change.

> U7 - I can't remember the name of the monk who got lost while in Yew, but
> when you find him in Shame, you leave him there.

Well, he'll come out eventually. Maybe.

> In general - how many times do I have to come and save Britannia before Lord
> British greets me with at least 6 suits of magic armour and a key to the
> storerooms?

Well, he does give you free equipment in U6 and U7. As for the suits of Magic
armor, he gives 'em to you in U7. You see, despite his professed ignorance of
your arrival, he knew you were coming, and that it would be in Trinsic. SO, he
put a teleporter to his Secret Stash in Trinsic for your use. He also assumes
that you, as Avatar, must find it on your own, in much the same way as he makes
you find his storeroom on your own. Also, that chest off to the West of Trinsic
was put there by him.(Hmm.... I like this explanation :) )

> - I would have thought having the owner of Iolo's Bows in my party would
> at least get me a discount on arrows...

Well, it's not Iolo's fault. LB decreed that, since you have always managed
before to scrounge up the dough, you should pay first price. In actuality, you
are helping Britannian economy by bringing in new money from that owned by the
monsters.

-Lumina Dragon

Sned The Bold

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
I can post the exact conversation if someone wants it; I have the
> game saved right before that point.

I'd love to see that, my UW2 cd is a couple hundred miles away from me
right now...

Lumina Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98

Infinitron Dragon wrote:

> The Ultima Bugs chronicles? :)
>
> --
> Infinitron Dragon

IIRC, the only thing I had planned on Ultima bugs was a pseudo-fanfic that I was
going to post here. A rather humorous story involving many of the Ultima Bugs.
Will get back to it eventually.

-Lumina Dragon

Background Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Paul Ryan wrote:
> > UW2 :

> > - The Absence of the Balckrock Order serpent from the game ;
>
> Supposed to be there, and some people have said they found it. Somewhere.
> Nobody ever seems to be able to say where so that others can find it.

I DID manage to get the serpent in UW2 once, you get it from the goblins

in the sewers under Castle British. As far as I can remember I talked
nasty to them at first, demanded to know what the hell they were doing

in the sewers. When I was nice to them afterwards they first reacted by
offering me training in Tracking (which I had never been able to find
before, but then tracking is an all but useless skill anyway) and then
they gave me the serpent statue along with a message (which I can't
recall right now). It was a while ago so I don't know how reliable this
information is, I'll have to check it out next time I play.
--
Background Dragon
aka PyngThyng

"The way I see it, logic is just a way of being ignorant by numbers."
Small Gods, Terry Pratchett

"I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now I find it
weird and frightening. And one day, It'll happen to YOU!"
Abe "Grampa" Simpson, The Simpsons

Background Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
-=Matt=- wrote:
> In u7 there is a strange big black cross in a clearing in the jungle north
> of the desert north of vesper i think it is. On the cross is a treasure
> chest with tonnes of junk and a key. There is no obvious use for this key.
> By the way did anyone know that the gaurdian, when you walk near the
> cross, sais "I am the Pagan lord" backwards.
> Matt

The key opens a chest in Serpent Hold. And yes, I did know about the
Pagan Lord thingy.

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
The Oppression

How they got supporters with that name, I do not know.

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Spock wrote in message <364cb...@news.cgocable.net>...

>was the Resistance on the side of the virtues, but for the life of me I
>can't remember the other.

Brack!

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Infinitron Dragon wrote:

> Mr. Nose, hehe. Why'd they get rid of that funny little name for LB? :)

Avatar : nose
LB : Who told thee THAT?!?

Muhahahaha!
--
Brackwock Dragon! -=UDIC=-

[begin anti-spam block]
My e-mail address is *not*: <root@[127.0.0.1]>
<postm...@1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA> <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]>
<abuse@[127.0.0.1]> <tos...@aol.com>
<ab...@mci.net> <MAILER-DAEMON@[127.0.0.1]>
<.@[127.0.0.1]> <..@[127.0.0.1]>

Paul Ryan

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Spock Arise from the Depths...

> There's more to it than I let on. It's been a long time since I played the
> game, but I believe you have to talk to the jailor in Yew, the Sorcerer in
> the magically locked tower (in SB?), maybe even to the people in Windermere
> (sic) - not to mention do some other nasty things, like kill the mage in one
> of the villages near Britain - THEN you get a password which allows you to
> join with Blackthorne. That's why I mentioned it - you have to do a lot
> just to get to that stage, and then nothing...

IIRC you start in the Armoury in Minoc (Tactus) then get sent to Dryden,
who sends you to the mage in Skara Brae, who sends you to Windemere.(The
middle two may be reversed) You need to supply bona fides by betraying
council members, but if you already know the person who should have sent
you, they trust you (evil oppressors trusting the Avatar?) and so you can
find out the next person, then reload if it bothers your conscience.
The Badge is handy in conjunction with the password in Blackthorn's
Palace, as it keeps the guards off. There _are_ other ways to handle the
problem however...

> Btw, what was the name of the group that followed Blackthorne? I know it
> was the Resistance on the side of the virtues, but for the life of me I
> can't remember the other.

It's the Oppression, and the Password is Impera.

Paul Ryan

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Robert S. Gregg Arise from the
Depths...

> Holy cow.... I just found the Underworld serpent too.
>
> I just loaded up my old UW2 game character, which was near the end of the
> game. Specifically, he had finished seven or eight of the worlds - I'll have
> to figure out the exact game flag later. Anyway, you go back to the goblin
> who teaches you tracking (which isn't easy to get either; you have to follow a
> specific conversation path the first time you talk to him before he'll teach
> it to you), and this time he said something different. Apparently the goblins
> had found a man near death somewhere in the Serpent's Spine, 50 years before
> the events in UW2 (i.e. circa 0313). The man was dying from arrow wounds, and
> only managed to gasp out a single word before dying: "Pagan!". In his hand,
> he held the Serpent, identified in the game as "a perfect serpent statue".
> The goblins decide to give it to you, figuring you have more use for it than

> they do. I can post the exact conversation if someone wants it; I have the

> game saved right before that point.

It isn't after you complete the Prison Tower - I started working on
trying to find the flag this morning, and have only got that far through
the game.
If anyone wants to see the Serpent and doesn't have an appropriately
placed saved game, Symphonic Dragon has an archive of Ultima saved games
on his site at http://web.cps.msu.edu/~bowersj2/
DL the UW2 one and duck down through the sewers (NB faster to go to the
gem, and back up than down the other entrance.)

I thought I'd tried everything before, but obviously not.

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Why we have discovered this only at this moment escapes me. ;)

ORDER = PAGAN. Could be.

The Zealan tribes were hardly orderly, though. I still suspect the Order
guys became the Guardian somehow. ;)

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Robert S. Gregg wrote in message ...
>Robert S. Gregg wrote in message ...
>>That's exactly what the other person told me too - that it came from a
goblin
>>in the sewers, specifically the one that teaches you Tracking.
>

>Holy cow.... I just found the Underworld serpent too.
>
>I just loaded up my old UW2 game character, which was near the end of the
>game. Specifically, he had finished seven or eight of the worlds - I'll
have
>to figure out the exact game flag later. Anyway, you go back to the goblin
>who teaches you tracking (which isn't easy to get either; you have to
follow a
>specific conversation path the first time you talk to him before he'll
teach
>it to you), and this time he said something different. Apparently the
goblins
>had found a man near death somewhere in the Serpent's Spine, 50 years
before
>the events in UW2 (i.e. circa 0313). The man was dying from arrow wounds,
and
>only managed to gasp out a single word before dying: "Pagan!". In his
hand,
>he held the Serpent, identified in the game as "a perfect serpent statue".
>The goblins decide to give it to you, figuring you have more use for it
than
>they do. I can post the exact conversation if someone wants it; I have the
>game saved right before that point.

Brack!

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Infinitron Dragon wrote:

> Why we have discovered this only at this moment escapes me. ;)
>
> ORDER = PAGAN. Could be.
>
> The Zealan tribes were hardly orderly, though. I still suspect the Order
> guys became the Guardian somehow. ;)

Hmm, actually it was my impression that Pagan was far-future Brittania,
especially after finding the shrine to the 3 principles... Love, Courage, Truth.
Oh well, to each his own. =)

As for the Order Ophidians I suspect they used the Wall of lights and wandered
the void only to find that they cant breathe vacuum. >=)

Great Siberian

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Brack! wrote:

> Infinitron Dragon wrote:
>
> > Mr. Nose, hehe. Why'd they get rid of that funny little name for LB? :)
>
> Avatar : nose
> LB : Who told thee THAT?!?
>
> Muhahahaha!

Um, can anyone explain the nose joke to me, because I don't get it...

Paul Ryan

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Great Siberian Arise from the
Depths...

> Um, can anyone explain the nose joke to me, because I don't get it...

Ask LB about Nose in U6.

Great Siberian

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Xe Dragon wrote:

> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>
> > > Harna is totally oblivious to the destruction the Bane and Goblins did
> > > in Monitor.
> >
> > This is true. (Coding mistake; they forgot.)
>
> A similar thing happens with the leader of Fawn (whose name escapes me). Once your restore the
> comb of beauty to her, she becomes oblivious of the destruction of Fawn. She hangs around the
> throne room and reverts to her old conversation answers, speaking about people who are now
> slaughtered as if they were still alive.

Her name is Lady Yelinda, and she's so ugly she doesn't deserve to be an
embodiment of Beauty. In fact, I found all the women in this so-called
City of Beauty a bit plain and certainly not good-looking...

Great Siberian

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Paul Ryan wrote:

> The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Great Siberian Arise from the
> Depths...
>
> > Um, can anyone explain the nose joke to me, because I don't get it...
>
> Ask LB about Nose in U6.

I don't have U6. Request repeated...

Great Siberian

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Spock wrote:

> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>
> >Spock wrote:
> >> U7: After you find out that Garritt and not Tobias stole the silver
> serpent
> >> venom, you mustn't talk to his father Feridwyn about it. He'll say "I'll
> >> take care of Garritt, let's keep this between us." Everyone still blames
> >> Tobias, and you can't reveal the truth.
> >
> >Tell him. Nothing serious ever happens to Garritt anyway.
>
> It's the principle that matters. It's unjust to let Garritt get away with
> the theft, especially when everyone still thinks it was Tobias... That's
> why I went back to a saved game and made sure that everyone knew who the
> real thief is... Just don't talk to Feridwyn first.

I went even far than that: I started the game all over again, when, for
some reason, I couldn't find Weston in his cell. (Did anyone have the
same problem?) It meant that I couldn't free him and sent him back to
his family, and I felt it wasn't right.

Brack!

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Great Siberian wrote:

*sigh* If ya have to explain a joke, you know you've pretty much killed it.
<=)

Anyway here it is...

LB's a bit embarrassed about his nose, and Chuckles used to tease him
mercilessly about it. Chuckles will tell you that but pleads with you not to
tell him who told you. =)

Paul Ryan

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Great Siberian Arise from the
Depths...

> Paul Ryan wrote:
> >
> > The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Great Siberian Arise from the
> > Depths...
> >
> > > Um, can anyone explain the nose joke to me, because I don't get it...
> >
> > Ask LB about Nose in U6.
>
> I don't have U6. Request repeated...

It's an unflattering nickname. Asking Iolo about Britain gets him to tell
you that that's where Mr Nose spends his time. Asking LB about Nose gets
him uptight, and he asks you not to use the name.
I don't know if it refers to something to do with Richard Garriott
though, or is just something in the game.

Great Siberian

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Brack! wrote:

> Great Siberian wrote:
>
> > Paul Ryan wrote:
> > >
> > > The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Great Siberian Arise from the
> > > Depths...

> > > Ask LB about Nose in U6.
> >
> > I don't have U6. Request repeated...
>
> *sigh* If ya have to explain a joke, you know you've pretty much killed it.
> <=)
>
> Anyway here it is...
>
> LB's a bit embarrassed about his nose, and Chuckles used to tease him
> mercilessly about it. Chuckles will tell you that but pleads with you not to
> tell him who told you. =)

Oh. I was expecting something more dramatic...

Great Siberian

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Xe Dragon wrote:

> Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
> the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
> contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
> I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
> the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
> include your name so I can credit you.

In SI, I once tried to give the game a new twist: when I killed Selena
and other Batlin's goons, I didn't go further to face Batlin, but
instead I returned to Skullcrusher, took the Horn, and freed Gwenno from
the ice. I then fetched water of Discipline and cured her. Soon after
that, I was forced to return to the usual course of the game, because I
couldn't get the Ophidian Scroll from Fedabiblio. It was weird how
sometimes this new line of the game was actually supported by the
remarks of the other characters (Iolo's comments about having to cure
his wife, Gwenno's remarks about Batlin still being out there and the
threat that his actions represent). On the other hand, although
Fedabiblio was very perfectly alive, Freli kept saying that his teacher
was turned to stone...

Did they actually want to create two storylines from the point where
you're at the Shrine of Order, but then abandoned that idea, or is it
just me being paranoid?

Great Siberian Dragon

Paul Ryan

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Great Siberian Arise from the
Depths...

> > *sigh* If ya have to explain a joke, you know you've pretty much killed it.

> > <=)
> >
> > Anyway here it is...
> >
> > LB's a bit embarrassed about his nose, and Chuckles used to tease him
> > mercilessly about it. Chuckles will tell you that but pleads with you not to
> > tell him who told you. =)
>
> Oh. I was expecting something more dramatic...

It's not even as if LB has much of a nose to worry about. Not compared to
Nystul anyway. His one looks like a misplaced finger in the U6 ending.

Mils

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
And so... The Fortune Teller told that on the Wed, 04 Nov 1998
10:26:48 -0500, in the rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons newsgroup, Xe
Dragon <xedragon...@xe.net> would dare to say in Public:

>Hey ho.
>
>Here's a suggestion for Origin: why not work the lost "Lost Vale" add-on
>for Pagan into U9 somehow? Perhaps a side quest, or maybe even a
>"prequel" add-on pack? Hey, I'd even settle for a conversation
>reference, or even an in-game book reference.

Nah, that would mean delaying the game more, as the Lost Vale never
made it truly into development.

>Many feel that the Avatar was less than virtuous in Pagan, and while
>this might make a good background for a redemption theme in Ascension,
>it still doesn't feel quite right.

Maybe it's just part of the scenery ? A trick of the guardian ? We
cannot judge before having played UA.

>If the Avatar was to have accomplished at least partial redemption in
>the Lost Vale add-on, it would be an interesting story. Plus, it would
>add a satisfying sense of completion to the pre-Ascension timeline.

Wait UA.
\||/ Moa Dragon =<UDIC>=
| @___oo Mils Michael
/\ /\ / (__,,,,| mi...@club-internet.fr ; ICQ: 11938373
) /^\) ^\/ _) http://perso.club-internet.fr/mils/main.html
"Vous allez finir par vous aimer les uns les autres, bordel de merde?"
(Jesus II : Le retour, bientot dans vos églises.)

Infinitron Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
This is true, but I actually admire Origin for it. They made the people look
REAL.

--
Infinitron Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Robert S. Gregg

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Sned The Bold wrote in message <364CF0DA...@ucdavis.edu>...

>I can post the exact conversation if someone wants it; I have the
>> game saved right before that point.
>
>I'd love to see that, my UW2 cd is a couple hundred miles away from me
>right now...

Well, very well, here it is. You talk to the Goblin who trains you in
Tracking, and he says:

"Hello again, human.
Avatar, I must thank thee for the help thou hast given us! Were it not for
thee, the monsters of this sewer would doubtless have overwhelmed us by now!"
<I am glad to have helped thee. / Thy gratitude is unnecessary.>
"Rogwump, the Dripper and I have agreed that we should give over to thee one
of the secrets of our tribe. Over a century ago, a human appeared near our
home in the rocky Serpents Spine. Half-starved, he was, and there were wounds
on him which seemed to have been made by arrows!"
<Who was this man? / I hope thou didst ai him. / What has this to do with me?>
"Before he died, he gasped out a single word to those who found him: "Pagan!"
We know not what this might mean, or where he came from -- our trackers traced
his spoor to the foot of a sheer wall of stone. He carried this with him,
though. Take it, for it seems to belong more to thy destiny, that of a warrior
who walks among the dimensions, than to ours. Perhaps someday it shall serve a
purpose for thee."

The unnamed goblin then gives you the statue, called "a perfect serpent
statue". Note that I was incorrect before: I said it had been 50 years,
whereas the goblin actually said "over a century" (i.e. closer to 0263).
Also, now I'm trying to remember which blackrock serpent you start Serpent
Isle with - is it Order, or Chaos? I'm thinking it's Order. In UW2, you get
a statue with the serpent's head facing to the *right*. Which one is that?

kewh...@indiana.edu

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Infinitron Dragon wrote:

> The Oppression
>
> How they got supporters with that name, I do not know.

I would think people like Thrud would appeal to that name.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Robert S. Gregg wrote:

> The unnamed goblin then gives you the statue, called "a perfect serpent
> statue". Note that I was incorrect before: I said it had been 50 years,
> whereas the goblin actually said "over a century" (i.e. closer to 0263).
> Also, now I'm trying to remember which blackrock serpent you start Serpent
> Isle with - is it Order, or Chaos? I'm thinking it's Order. In UW2, you get
> a statue with the serpent's head facing to the *right*. Which one is that?

Well, here's what I know of the Serpent Statues in SI:
You start with Order.
Batlin stole Chaos from Andral.
Andral mentions the opposite curvings of his statue.
That's all. Don't recall which was right and left.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Great Siberian wrote:

> Did they actually want to create two storylines from the point where
> you're at the Shrine of Order, but then abandoned that idea, or is it
> just me being paranoid?

YES! It is what we talk about when we say unfinished game. The Shrine of Order is the point
from whcih they decided to scrap the original plot because of time constraints.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Lumina Dragon wrote:

In addition, I do seem to think Chaos faced left and Order right. IIRC, in the
Grand Shrine of Balance on Sunrise Isle, the serpents looked like this:

CHAOS BALANCE ORDER

And I do remember they faced away from each other. If so, then Order is to the
right. Seems like they DID do things right. Erm, that pun was not intended.

-Lumina Dragon

Ashley Penney

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

Is there anywhere that we can read about the original plot? I'm intrested
in what was *meant* to happen. :)

--
Twilight Dragon - <twil...@bastard.co.uk>
"A key to understanding all religion is that a god's idea

Spock

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

>Spock wrote:
>>
>> U7 - after you restore the ether, the mages still run around in rags.
>
>They're too busy with their experiments to change.

Of course! I would imagine they had a lot of catching up to do. Of course,
I noticed that healers wear rags the whole time, and they never went
crazy...

>> In general - how many times do I have to come and save Britannia before
Lord
>> British greets me with at least 6 suits of magic armour and a key to the
>> storerooms?
>
>Well, he does give you free equipment in U6 and U7. As for the suits of
Magic
>armor, he gives 'em to you in U7. You see, despite his professed ignorance
of
>your arrival, he knew you were coming, and that it would be in Trinsic. SO,
he
>put a teleporter to his Secret Stash in Trinsic for your use.

I've never seen justification for cheating put so eloquently :)

>He also assumes
>that you, as Avatar, must find it on your own, in much the same way as he
makes
>you find his storeroom on your own. Also, that chest off to the West of
Trinsic
>was put there by him.(Hmm.... I like this explanation :) )

Again, you are right. LB knows that you revert back you your puny self
every time you enter Brittania, and you must get back into shape before you
can truly combat the evil in the land. If he gave out magic armour from the
start, you would be overconfident and probably get yourself killed going
after Batlin right away. Btw, what chest West of Trinsic?

Chris

Spock

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Great Siberian wrote:

>Infinitron Dragon wrote:
>>
>> This is true, but I actually admire Origin for it. They made the people
look
>> REAL.
>

>But there are so many real people who ARE beautiful... They could do
>better with the women of Fawn...

I thought they used scans of real people.

Chris

Lumina Dragon

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

Spock wrote:

> after Batlin right away. Btw, what chest West of Trinsic?

In the forest roughl;y west of Trinsic, under one of the trees whose leaves are
turning, there is a treasure chest, half hidden. Move it out from hiding, then
bash it open. You get a full suit of Magics, a fire sword, a couple other
weapons, and about 600 gold. Ferget coords.

-Lumina Dragon

MdmeDis

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
In article <MPG.10b814ff6...@news.ihug.co.nz>,
paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz says...

> His one looks like a misplaced finger in the U6 ending.

<Mdme shakes her head sadly> And who said size doesn't count?

--
Disoriented Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

D'ya ever have those days when you think
maybe its you, and not the rest of the world
that's fucked up?

Great Siberian

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Infinitron Dragon wrote:

> This is true, but I actually admire Origin for it. They made the people look
> REAL.

But there are so many real people who ARE beautiful... They could do
better with the women of Fawn...

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 13 Nov 1998 18:23:48 -0600,
the entity named Robert S. Gregg (rgr...@scott.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Interesting, very interesting. In any case, I suppose the UW2 Serpent Statue
>thing isn't a loose end after all!

-clip-

_Very_ interesting. Can't wait to see what's the final conclusion of
this. Too bad I don't have UW2. But then, I can't play it at the moment
anyway...

--
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | |
| Official Mad Mage | "Am I dreaming of the |
| -=*[~UDIC~]*=- -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=- | butterfly, or is the |
| http://destrius.simplenet.com/email.html | butterfly dreaming |
| Follow instructions to email me... | of me...?" |
| Website: | |
| http://destrius.simplenet.com | . o O (...) |
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
UDIC: d+++ e+ N++ T-- Om+ U1234567!8!AWS'! u++ uC++++ uF-
uG++++ uLB+ uA+++ nC+ nR nH+ nP++ nI++ nPT++++
nS++++ nT-- wM wC+ wS wI+ wN+ o- y a16
---| 庄心宇 |--Bait:--| ro...@127.0.0.1 |--| postm...@127.0.0.1 |--

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:02:25 +1100,
the entity named Great Siberian (ang...@vicnet.net.au)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>But there are so many real people who ARE beautiful... They could do
>better with the women of Fawn...

-clip-

Yeah, but show me one who looks fantastic in 320x200 at 256 colours where
most of the palette is being used for scenery in a small little box. :)

Paul Ryan

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Robert S. Gregg Arise from the
Depths...

> The unnamed goblin then gives you the statue, called "a perfect serpent
> statue". Note that I was incorrect before: I said it had been 50 years,
> whereas the goblin actually said "over a century" (i.e. closer to 0263).
> Also, now I'm trying to remember which blackrock serpent you start Serpent
> Isle with - is it Order, or Chaos? I'm thinking it's Order. In UW2, you get
> a statue with the serpent's head facing to the *right*. Which one is that?

For the incurably curious without current access to UW2, I've cut the
image of the statue out of a screenshot. Note that it looks better
against a dark background.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~paulryan/Subsidiary/UW2Serpent.gif

-=Matt=-

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

> > Robert S. Gregg wrote:
> >
> > > The unnamed goblin then gives you the statue, called "a perfect serpent
> > > statue". Note that I was incorrect before: I said it had been 50 years,
> > > whereas the goblin actually said "over a century" (i.e. closer to 0263).
> > > Also, now I'm trying to remember which blackrock serpent you start Serpent
> > > Isle with - is it Order, or Chaos? I'm thinking it's Order. In UW2, you get
> > > a statue with the serpent's head facing to the *right*. Which one is that?

Ive never met this guy that gives you the statue. Where is he? I always
thought that you just got the statue from a sort of miscillanious dungeon
somewere. I didnt know it meant in UW2.
Matt

Anders Steenfeldt

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
> > - Were the big cats in Killorn Keep really the descendant and downgraded
> > forms of the Killrathy which were allied with Mondain back in the age of
> > Darkness ?
>
> Think. Trilkhai/Kilrathi. Recall the wisp in Etherial Void: Blue? The
> Trilkhai are descended from the Kilrathi. The same ones who left a ship in
> Mack's field. Dunno about any connection with Mondain; where'd you get that?

When you play ultima 1 there is a world in space you can get to by space
travel. If you land on it a skull with pointed ears will appear and say
"wellcome to killrath". Then you die. It seems that mondain and the
killrath were pals in the age of darkness.

Xe Dragon

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Great Siberian wrote:

> Her name is Lady Yelinda, and she's so ugly she doesn't deserve to be an
> embodiment of Beauty. In fact, I found all the women in this so-called
> City of Beauty a bit plain and certainly not good-looking...

I agree, and still maintain Thoxa had the best portrait in the game. However, the credits mention
various Origin employees and "contest winners" who donated their likenesses to the game.

Hmm... maybe we should be careful in case we're insulting someone at Origin... ;>

--

Xe Dragon

"Civilization is the encouragement of differences." - M. Gandhi

Great Ultima maps at the High-Resolution Ultima Map Project at:
http://www.xe.net/xedragon/hrump/

Xe Dragon

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

Anders Steenfeldt wrote:

Are your serious? What are the coordinates of "Killrath"?

Xe Dragon

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Lumina Dragon wrote:

> Well, it's not Iolo's fault. LB decreed that, since you have always managed
> before to scrounge up the dough, you should pay first price. In actuality, you
> are helping Britannian economy by bringing in new money from that owned by the
> monsters.

Actually, you would be *devaluing* Britannian currency by introducing copious
amounts of new gold into the system. Unless, of course, all that gold was
previously owned by adventurers and was merely *stolen* by monsters.

Even then, given the minuscule population of Britannia -- and hence the presumably
small amount of currency in circulation -- I always expected something like this
when arriving at the mint:

Avatar: My good treasurer, I have just returned from dungeons foul, and I and my
good companions can barely drag our packs along the ground, so overburden'd with
gold are they.

Treasurer: By the virtues! Thou bearest sixty stone of gold bars and nuggets! 'Tis
almost as much as is in the treasury now!

Avatar: I care not, my good man. This gold was hard won. Please give me my coins.

Treasurer: Well, by some curious coincidence, I have enough newly minted coin to
meet your request. But 'twas put it aside for running the kingdom next year.

Avatar: Surely this new gold will allow you to run the kingdom.

Treasurer: Aye, but at what cost? Well, you're the Avatar with the big black sword.
Here's your coin.

(Later, at the tavern)

Dupre: Let us have another round, Avatar, and then head out to spend our loot on
new toys... er, arms and armour.

Barmaid: Begging your pardon, good sirs, but the proprietor has asked me to request
payment for your tab before he serves you again.

Iolo: How much do we owe you, my dear?

Barmaid: 700 pieces of gold, good sirs.

Avatar: 700 pieces of gold for one round? 'Tis robbery!

Barmaid: Not so, good sir. 'Tis well known how much new coinage is minted when you
are here. And 'tis also observed how much simply blinks into existence in the Den
of Buccaneers when thou play'st the rat game. But we humble workers produce no more
than we did last week, and so there are simply no more goods to be bought with your
new gold. Prices must rise as a result, Avatar.

Avatar: Wait a minute! Nobody programmed macroeconomics into this game engine!

Unknown

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:16:16 +0100, Anders Steenfeldt
<to...@imsb.au.dk> wrote:

>> > - Were the big cats in Killorn Keep really the descendant and downgraded
>> > forms of the Killrathy which were allied with Mondain back in the age of
>> > Darkness ?
>>
>> Think. Trilkhai/Kilrathi. Recall the wisp in Etherial Void: Blue? The
>> Trilkhai are descended from the Kilrathi. The same ones who left a ship in
>> Mack's field. Dunno about any connection with Mondain; where'd you get that?
>
>When you play ultima 1 there is a world in space you can get to by space
>travel. If you land on it a skull with pointed ears will appear and say
>"wellcome to killrath". Then you die. It seems that mondain and the
>killrath were pals in the age of darkness.

Now was this in the ORIGINAL U1, or was this just added for giggles in
one of the later rereleases? Also, what are the coordinates to get
there?

Duck -- Master of Miscellany
Napa Valley

Unknown

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
<xedragon...@xe.net> wrote:

>Okay, folks, here we go. Let's see everyone post with their list of loose ends from all
>the Ultima games. This can include any loose ends, plot holes, sequence errors,
>contradictions, and even gameplay bugs from any of the the Ultimas.
>
>I'll prepare and post an "Ultima Loose End Compendium" of all the posts and place it on
>the Web. If you don't want to post, e-mail me at <xedr...@xe.net>. Don't forget to
>include your name so I can credit you.

Well, it's not really a loose end, but one of the things I like
looking for in the games is various misspellings, name games, etc. I
can't remember many of them now, just two ... wonder if anyone else
has more?

1. Ultima 4 - Serpent's Hold was called Serpant's hold ... that still
cracks me up ("Sir Pant's Hold")

2. Ultima 7 - Tolemac in Moonglow. Tolemac is Camelot backwards.
Coincidence, or just cool?

It is loading more messages.