I hate people!

Paul Ryan

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Well-Dressed Arise from the Depths...

> "So, er, what is Moonshine?", asks an ignorant European.

Illegally distilled alcoholic spirits I think.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e- N T+ Om U1!23!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!K!A!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC+ uF uG uLB+ uA+ nC nH+ nI nPT nS+ nT+ y?

Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World
Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C IV

Negate the Spell to Wish Me Well

Phillip Zibilich

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

Paul Ryan <paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz> wrote in article
<MPG.10b55ba27...@news.ihug.co.nz>...

Yup. You nailed it. It's homemade liquor. Thatnks to it, Chicago became a
Crime Town in the Twenties, and NASCAR was born :-/

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--

Christopher A Tew

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz (Paul Ryan) came back to Earth with
this great rock n' roll band:

>The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Well-Dressed Arise from the Depths...
>
>> "So, er, what is Moonshine?", asks an ignorant European.
>
>Illegally distilled alcoholic spirits I think.

That, and a reason to give cops a bit of fun in their lives. It's a
phenomina that took place in the South US a few decades back.
Moonshiners would try to run their stuff out of state, cops would try
to catch them. The fun part was that moonshiners would soup up their
cars (and I mean soup up...we're talking about Impala SS with 800
gross bhp, badass suspensions, the whole nine yards) to get past the
cops easier and to do moonshiner turns (a quick 180 followed by a hard
acceleration followed by another quick 180 and some harder
acceleration). The cops would follow suit. So you get into a car
modification war.

The end result of all this was NASCAR, believe it or not. The guy who
started it, Bill (I think) French, a moonshiner himself, got the
bright idea that having moonshiners race each other on a dirt track
would be fun and profitable. There are some great books on this that
tell great stories about early NASCAR.

-Cat

--
I'll tell you, seein' him kinda growin' back together,
that was some crazy shit. An' he told me his life

MdmeDis

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
In article <364ab0dc....@news3.lvdi.net>, tik...@lv-nospam-di.net
says...

> paul...@InVasAnSpam.ihug.co.nz (Paul Ryan) came back to Earth with
> this great rock n' roll band:
> >The Earth Trembles, as the Words of Well-Dressed Arise from the Depths...
> >
> >> "So, er, what is Moonshine?", asks an ignorant European.
> >
> >Illegally distilled alcoholic spirits I think.
>
> That, and a reason to give cops a bit of fun in their lives. It's a
> phenomina that took place in the South US a few decades back.

In West Virginia and Virginia its still a thriving family tradition -
they were constantly trying to run it up I81 - twice they caught the
guys and the third time the whole caboodle literally blew up on them and
killed the moonshiners. All this a few months back. it was wild.

--
Disoriented Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

D'ya ever have those days when you think
maybe its you, and not the rest of the world
that's fucked up?

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Sned The Bold bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> go ahead and say getting drunk is stupid, I dare you...

Ok. It is stupid to get drunk, but if poisoning your brain
thrills you go right ahead. :)

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> i dare you too... i dunno bout you sned, but telling a 6'7 250lb linebacker his
> greatest weekend activity is dumb is not good...

Nah, I'll just point out the detrimental effect it has on his
sexual potency. <evil grin>

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Christopher A Tew bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Oh, wait, there aren't many people left with the intellect, courage,
> lack of tact, and the sheer ability to be a total asshole, to
> participate in a decent flamewar here. There's alot of people with
> the first two requirements, but we're really short on tactless
> assholes. So, nevermind.

Maybe we can get Cleve or Derek to give us a benefit performance.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Well-Dressed bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> So, people are suggesting he should do something besides being on the
> computer; I suggested sports (along with Lowly) because that seems (to me,
> again) to be a great way to boost your self-confidence, it's healthy, you
> meet other people, and you can have a lot of fun doing it. If he doesn't
> like sports, fine! He shouldn't do sports, then.

Or if he is like me and doesn't have a talent for high school
sports. :)

He could continue with his journalism work, the chess club, he
could try out for plays, he could try to be a student manager for a
sports team, try out for the academic team, etc..

The main thing is to give 'Phid lots of options and not just the
one that suited the particular poster best.

> No one is forcing him to.
> No one is telling Phid to be someone he is not, and I'm getting annoyed
> seeing helpful people who tell Phid what worked for them be told that 'you
> shouldn't do anything just to become more popular' just because it wouldn't
> work for Phid.

I believe you are wrong here. The comments are more of 'Do the
things you want to do, for yourself, don't do stuff just to be popular
because you'll sacrifice yourself' type comments. It is better to become
popular because of what you are without changing who you are, than to
adapt your very self to the current winds of popular opinion.

Then again, being popular may be more important than your self.
If so, then go for it, but don't expect much more than a shallow
existence.

Anyway, it is hard in many of the the US high schools to change
others perceptions of you. Most of the kids form themselves into little
cliques and they don't do a whole lot of intermingling. College is
usually where most of the bright kids have a chance to bloom because at
college you are taken as an adult.

> We're merely offering suggestions, and maybe (hypothetically)
> one of us can convince Phid to try one of those suggestions and see if he
> likes it.

To me it looked like _one_ suggestion was offered...

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> hasnt let me down yet (smirk)

That's because you are too drunk to notice. :p

Like it or not, alcohol is a depressant and it does affect
performance.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
> well, they've never complained then...:)

Could that be because your partner was pretty loaded at the time,
too? ;)

Well-Dressed

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

Fortran Dragon heeft geschreven in bericht ...

>From the Void comes Well-Dressed bearing this piece of Light...
>[Snip]
>> So, people are suggesting he should do something besides being on the
>> computer; I suggested sports (along with Lowly) because that seems (to
me,
>> again) to be a great way to boost your self-confidence, it's healthy, you
>> meet other people, and you can have a lot of fun doing it. If he doesn't
>> like sports, fine! He shouldn't do sports, then.
>
> Or if he is like me and doesn't have a talent for high school
>sports. :)

I realize sports in America are treated differently than they are in Europe.
I have no experience with The American Way, then. I just know that you don't
have to be talented to enjoy a sport in Europe.

> He could continue with his journalism work, the chess club, he
>could try out for plays, he could try to be a student manager for a
>sports team, try out for the academic team, etc..

Exactly!

> The main thing is to give 'Phid lots of options and not just the
>one that suited the particular poster best.

But the one that worked for the poster is the one that they know worked -
for them, at least. If everyone gave Phid the advice that worked for them,
there's bound to be some applicable advice in there.

>> No one is forcing him to.
>> No one is telling Phid to be someone he is not, and I'm getting annoyed
>> seeing helpful people who tell Phid what worked for them be told that
'you
>> shouldn't do anything just to become more popular' just because it
wouldn't
>> work for Phid.
>
> I believe you are wrong here. The comments are more of 'Do the
>things you want to do, for yourself, don't do stuff just to be popular
>because you'll sacrifice yourself' type comments. It is better to become
>popular because of what you are without changing who you are, than to
>adapt your very self to the current winds of popular opinion.
>
> Then again, being popular may be more important than your self.
>If so, then go for it, but don't expect much more than a shallow
>existence.
>
> Anyway, it is hard in many of the the US high schools to change
>others perceptions of you. Most of the kids form themselves into little
>cliques and they don't do a whole lot of intermingling. College is
>usually where most of the bright kids have a chance to bloom because at
>college you are taken as an adult.

Again, there's a cultural difference. In Europe there are several different
levels of high school. In Holland, 'mainstream' high school has five levels,
and pupils are placed in that level where they perform best. As such, you
fit in more easily with the rest of your class. I was at the highest level,
and our class consisted of an equal amount of nerds and non-nerds getting
along splendidly.

>> We're merely offering suggestions, and maybe (hypothetically)
>> one of us can convince Phid to try one of those suggestions and see if he
>> likes it.
>
> To me it looked like _one_ suggestion was offered...

Then you haven't looked well enough. Early in the thread I listed ten
suggestions, _one_ of which was 'do sports'. I gave Phid a similar amount of
suggestions about two months ago. And predictably enough, just like he did
then, he completely ignored the advice given. No "this wouldn't work for me,
because..." or anything.

Phid becoming satisfied with his life; I'd genuinely like to see that
happen. But he should be prepared to _do_ something about it, wouldn't you
agree?

WD

Liberal

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Fortran wrote:
>From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
>[Snip]

>> hasnt let me down yet (smirk)
>
> That's because you are too drunk to notice. :p
> Like it or not, alcohol is a depressant and it does affect
>performance.

Bullshit. Alcohol _IN THE RIGHT DOSE_ is an aphrodisiacum (sp?)

(and even more fun in the *RIGHT* dose)

<-----------------------------+-O-+----------------------------->
Liberal Dragon d e- N+ T+++ Om-- U123456!7'!S'!8!KA!L!W!M!
-==(UDIC)==- u+++ uC+++ uF- uG- uLB+ uA--- nC nR nH+ nP
Georg Hammerer nI+++ nPT nS- nT wM wC+ wS wI--- wN+ y?
<-----------------------------+-O-+----------------------------->

"Giving money and power to the government is like giving cars and
whiskey to teenagers."

MdmeDis

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
In article <72fqm4$9ek$3...@mach.vub.ac.be>, gham...@ulb.ac.be says...

> Fortran wrote:
> >From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
> >[Snip]
> >> hasnt let me down yet (smirk)
> >
> > That's because you are too drunk to notice. :p
> > Like it or not, alcohol is a depressant and it does affect
> >performance.
>
> Bullshit. Alcohol _IN THE RIGHT DOSE_ is an aphrodisiacum (sp?)

Aphrodisiac. Nope. It overcomes your normal inhibitions to the point
where you think you is sexier, but you aint. You simply don't know any
better.

Who was it that said the only way to stop cigarette smoking would be to
say say it causes impotence? Apparently recent studies show it does.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
From the Void comes Well-Dressed bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> I realize sports in America are treated differently than they are in Europe.
> I have no experience with The American Way, then. I just know that you don't
> have to be talented to enjoy a sport in Europe.

It has a very competitive, win-at-all-costs attitude here. Some
places, like the South, it is almost a religion. (Some parents have even
tried to have other kids _killed_ in order to 'help' their own child into
a sport or something associated with a sport. I'm thinking here of the
woman in Texas that tried to have a girl killed so that her daughter
would be able to be on the cheer leading team.)

[Snip]

> But the one that worked for the poster is the one that they know worked -
> for them, at least. If everyone gave Phid the advice that worked for them,
> there's bound to be some applicable advice in there.

Exactly, but if the poster's solution doesn't work or appeal to
'Phid then that is ok. It doesn't say anything bad about the poster.

[Snip]

> Again, there's a cultural difference. In Europe there are several different
> levels of high school. In Holland, 'mainstream' high school has five levels,
> and pupils are placed in that level where they perform best. As such, you
> fit in more easily with the rest of your class. I was at the highest level,
> and our class consisted of an equal amount of nerds and non-nerds getting
> along splendidly.

American High Schools are very homogenized. They even try to
mainstream kids that have attention disorders or learning disabilities.

[Snip]

> Phid becoming satisfied with his life; I'd genuinely like to see that
> happen. But he should be prepared to _do_ something about it, wouldn't you
> agree?

Yes, but the success of doing something will only come when 'Phid
is ready to commit to it. We can't push him and have it a success.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
From the Void comes Liberal bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]

> Bullshit. Alcohol _IN THE RIGHT DOSE_ is an aphrodisiacum (sp?)

No. It is a depressant which reduces performance. It is the
affect on the hypothalamus (the brain's message center) that allows you
to act uninhibited.

> (and even more fun in the *RIGHT* dose)

Alcohol affects you immediately.

Now, as long as you enjoy it (and don't hurt anyone), I say go
ahead and use it, but, please, let's not keep quoting the old bullshit
lines about alcohol. Accept it for what it actually is and does to you.

Fortran Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
From the Void comes Destrius bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> Eek. That sounds a lot like me.
>
> [Destrius looks around.]
>
> So does that mean I'm normal? No, right? Please? I don't want to be normal!!
>
> ... :)

If you like it here and can hack it, you aren't normal. :)

Sned The Bold

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Liberal wrote:

> Fortran wrote:
> >From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
> >[Snip]

> >> hasnt let me down yet (smirk)
> >
> > That's because you are too drunk to notice. :p
> > Like it or not, alcohol is a depressant and it does affect
> >performance.
>
> Bullshit. Alcohol _IN THE RIGHT DOSE_ is an aphrodisiacum (sp?)
>
> (and even more fun in the *RIGHT* dose)

Alcohol brutalizes inhibition, which might make people more likely to
have sex. That doesn't make it an aphrodisiac. It's not anywhere close
to the same level as E...

Ophidian Dragon

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Samurai wrote:

> You ought to consider one of the classical martial arts, then, 'Phid.
> Tired and sweaty is still in, I'm afraid, but it's entirely
> co-operative (if it's taught right), so you don't need to worry about
> the competitive thing.

Well, I (theoretically) hold a blue belt in tie-kwan-do, which I am sure
I just spelled wrong. I got it in 3rd or 2nd grade though. The only
reason I didn't go all the way to black is because we moved, and I
couldn't get to the place easily :-(

If I had the time and I knew other people there I might consider it,
though.

-Ophidian Dragon

Samurai

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Quoth Ophidian Dragon <zacw...@hotmail.com>:
>MdmeDis wrote:
[munch]

>> <Ahem>
>>

>i consider a compulsive drunkard to be someone who simply cannot quit
>drinking, is constantly drunk, and does it to the exclusion of social
>relationships and their jub. The fact that you all post here
>indicates that can't be true :-)

You haven't been paying much attention to some of the posts here, have
you, 'Phid?
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
\ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Samurai

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Quoth Ophidian Dragon <zacw...@hotmail.com>:
[munch]

>I thought the fact that I don't enjoy sports was understood. The
>implication was that I was doing something I don't like just to
>impress people, which is kinda silly. I don't like sports, because
>it's too competitive. And I don't like being tired and sweaty :-)
>mainly it's just that I'm a marshmellow. I feel bad when I beat
>someone at chess....

You ought to consider one of the classical martial arts, then, 'Phid.
Tired and sweaty is still in, I'm afraid, but it's entirely
co-operative (if it's taught right), so you don't need to worry about
the competitive thing.

This, BTW, is one of the big reasons I dislike sport -- I'm one of the
least competitive people I know. And hey, martial arts _is_ more
interesting than going to the gym. :)

>> If people judge you unfairly, fuck 'em.
>
>Well, people do change a whole lot between Freshman and Senior year, so
>I try not to hold that against them.
>
>-Ophidian Dragon

Christopher A Tew

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> came back to Earth with this

great rock n' roll band:

>If I had the time and I knew other people there I might consider it,
>though.

Why do you have to know other people there? Go there as a complete
stranger and meet new people. Make friends through asskicking.

-Cat, who is probably going to be taking up Jiu Jitsu next year. Get
my ass taken on a few big rides straight to the mat. Then I'll travel
through the Orient and become a post-apocalyptic Kung-Fu master named
Kenshiro... ;-)

--
"You don't accept death! You don't humanize it!
And it's not your frigging friend!!...I SAW DEATH.

Bert & Betty de Ridder

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.cm> heeft geschreven in bericht
<72iu0k$s...@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com>...

>Samurai wrote:
>

>> You ought to consider one of the classical martial arts, then, 'Phid.
>> Tired and sweaty is still in, I'm afraid, but it's entirely
>> co-operative (if it's taught right), so you don't need to worry about
>> the competitive thing.
>

>Well, I (theoretically) hold a blue belt in tie-kwan-do, which I am sure
>I just spelled wrong. I got it in 3rd or 2nd grade though. The only
>reason I didn't go all the way to black is because we moved, and I
>couldn't get to the place easily :-(
>
>If I had the time and I knew other people there I might consider it,
>though.

I'm sure you have the time. And you could take it with a friend? Starting
out together is usually a lot of fun :)

WD

Ophidian Dragon

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Bert & Betty de Ridder wrote:

> I'm sure you have the time. And you could take it with a friend? Starting
> out together is usually a lot of fun :)

Why are you suddenly named Bert and Betty de Ridder? :-P

I sometimes have the time, and sometimes I don't. Every two weeks or so,
there is a day where I literally come home, do work, check the news, and
go to bed. I'd also want a small class, preferably with other nerds
:-) I am quite the wimp, so I'd rather not be embarassed....

There's also the question of location; I live out where nothing is....

-Ophidian Dragon

Samurai

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Quoth "Sven de Ridder" <sv...@dvision.nl>:
[munch]
>I ask my secretary to provide you guys with chit-chat while
>I'm out saving the world from destruction.
>
>WD is such a silly person.

You mean you weren't serious? Ye gods, who _will_ save us, then?!

Sned The Bold

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Ophidian Dragon wrote:

> Samurai wrote:
>

> > You ought to consider one of the classical martial arts, then, 'Phid.
> > Tired and sweaty is still in, I'm afraid, but it's entirely
> > co-operative (if it's taught right), so you don't need to worry about
> > the competitive thing.
>
> Well, I (theoretically) hold a blue belt in tie-kwan-do, which I am sure
> I just spelled wrong. I got it in 3rd or 2nd grade though. The only
> reason I didn't go all the way to black is because we moved, and I
> couldn't get to the place easily :-(
>
> If I had the time and I knew other people there I might consider it,
> though.

If you go, you'll meet people there

> -Ophidian Dragon

Destrius

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:36:49 -0600,
the entity named Ophidian Dragon (@hotmail.cm)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Well, I (theoretically) hold a blue belt in tie-kwan-do, which I am sure
>I just spelled wrong. I got it in 3rd or 2nd grade though. The only
>reason I didn't go all the way to black is because we moved, and I
>couldn't get to the place easily :-(

-clip-

Go take up martial arts. Doesn't need to be taekwando, could be
anything. I'd personally reccomend the Chinese versions 'cos I like them
better. :)

--
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Destrius Dragon | |

Destrius

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:43:13 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>You ought to consider one of the classical martial arts, then, 'Phid.
>Tired and sweaty is still in, I'm afraid, but it's entirely
>co-operative (if it's taught right), so you don't need to worry about
>the competitive thing.

-clip-

I was waiting for you to suggest that. I agree totally, btw. :)

Allan Olley

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
On 12 Nov 1998 23:23:48 GMT, Liberal <gham...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>Fortran wrote:
>>From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
>>[Snip]
>>> hasnt let me down yet (smirk)
>> That's because you are too drunk to notice. :p
>> Like it or not, alcohol is a depressant and it does affect
>>performance.
>Bullshit. Alcohol _IN THE RIGHT DOSE_ is an aphrodisiacum (sp?)
>(and even more fun in the *RIGHT* dose)

I think Shakespeare is appropriate here. The porter in Macbeth Act
II, Scene III on drink "Lechry, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it
provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance; therefore much
drink may be said to be an equivicator with lechery; it makes him, and
it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him,
and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to; in
conclusion, equivicates him in a sleep, and giving him the lie, leaves
him."

IMO, this speech can have maximized for comic effect if while saying
this the porter manipulates a set of key in his hands at certain
points in this speech.
--
d e- N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!6A78! u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP nI+
nPT nS+ nT- y- a19

Well-Dressed

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.cm> heeft geschreven in bericht
<72kcjt$5...@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>...

>Bert & Betty de Ridder wrote:
>
>> I'm sure you have the time. And you could take it with a friend? Starting
>> out together is usually a lot of fun :)
>

>Why are you suddenly named Bert and Betty de Ridder? :-P

Ick. I was doing laundry at my parents' place and decided to browse rcgud
quickly. Noticed it after I posted. It used to be 'deridder', but they
apparently changed it. Didn't know they even knew how to do that...

>I sometimes have the time, and sometimes I don't. Every two weeks or so,
>there is a day where I literally come home, do work, check the news, and
>go to bed. I'd also want a small class, preferably with other nerds
>:-) I am quite the wimp, so I'd rather not be embarassed....

Maybe something like Aikido. The first couple of years you cooperate with
other students. And because it's not aggressive, it tends to draw people who
are more dedicated to learning an art than beating someone up. Cool thing
about martial arts is that it doesn't really matter if you're a wimp, as
long as you learn the techniques. I'm dying to free up some time to do
either Jiu-jitsu or Aikido, but it's not easy to do when you go to
university and have a full-time job... :(

>There's also the question of location; I live out where nothing is....

I've heard rumours of states like Alabama, yeah. A girlfriend I had in the
States was sent from Seattle to Louisiana as a punishment when she was 15.
Her grandpa (who looks just like Jack Nicholson :)) thought she was a bit
too wild, and hoped she'd be bored to normalness there.

Sven

Samurai

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Quoth tik...@lv-nospam-di.net (Christopher A Tew):

>Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> came back to Earth with
>this great rock n' roll band:

*G* Where did _this_ one spring from, Cat?

>>If I had the time and I knew other people there I might consider it,
>>though.
>

>Why do you have to know other people there? Go there as a complete
>stranger and meet new people. Make friends through asskicking.

Hey, it worked for me! ;)

>-Cat, who is probably going to be taking up Jiu Jitsu next year.

Wise man. A very good choice, if you find the right club.

(See post to 'Phid for bias disclaimer notice. ;)

>Get my ass taken on a few big rides straight to the mat.

That's all part of the fun!

>Then I'll travel through the Orient and become a post-
>apocalyptic Kung-Fu master named Kenshiro... ;-)

*chuckle*

Samurai

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Quoth Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m>:
>Samurai wrote:

>> You ought to consider one of the classical martial arts, then,
>> 'Phid. Tired and sweaty is still in, I'm afraid, but it's
>> entirely co-operative (if it's taught right), so you don't
>> need to worry about the competitive thing.
>

>Well, I (theoretically) hold a blue belt in tie-kwan-do, which I am
>sure I just spelled wrong.

Astute. :) Tae Kwon Do, IIRC -- 'the Way of Fists and Feet'.

>I got it in 3rd or 2nd grade though.

Martial arts in an adult class is somewhat different to that in
grade-school, believe me. More rewarding, and one hopefully gets to
make slightly better friends with the other students.

>The only reason I didn't go all the way to black is because we
>moved, and I couldn't get to the place easily :-(

Black-belt is only the beginning, grasshopper. :)

>If I had the time and I knew other people there I might consider it,
>though.

Apologies to anty Tae Kwon Do folks out there, but I'd actually
suggest trying a different art if you do decide on giving martial arts
another go. Many (not all, I hasten to add) schools of TKD tend to
treat it as little more than glorified boxing, which is competitive,
and thus not what you'd be after, I imagine.

Ju-jitsu (my own art, so I'm biased :) , Aikido, Wing Chun and several
more traditional styles of karate or gung fu would probably be closer
to what you're looking for. But the best thing is to go along and ask
the instructor if you can watch or try out a lesson to see for
yourself.

If the instructor refuses, by the way, I'd drop that particular club
flat. Anywhere concerned about outside scrutiny isn't the place for a
beginner.

HTH!

Christopher A Tew

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk (Samurai) came back to Earth with this

great rock n' roll band:
>Quoth tik...@lv-nospam-di.net (Christopher A Tew):
>>Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> came back to Earth with
>>this great rock n' roll band:
>
>*G* Where did _this_ one spring from, Cat?

It's a sample from the beginning of "Rodent" by Skinny Puppy.

>Wise man. A very good choice, if you find the right club.

Jiu Jitsu is actually my second choice. However, I don't think that
there are any clubs in Vegas that teach Northern Dragon Shaolin
Gung-Fu, a style that is particularly suited to me, from what I can
tell from reading about it. No big loss...at least with Jiu Jitsu,
I'll be hospitalized less. ;-)

-Cat

--
Woof justice rules OK!
---tikicat at lvdi.net---

Sned The Bold

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

I hear New Orleans is a pretty dull place

> Sven

Samurai

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Quoth "Well-Dressed" <well_d...@leavethisout.hotmail.com>:
[munch]

>Maybe something like Aikido. The first couple of years you cooperate
>with other students.

And in some ways, that continues as long as you train.

>And because it's not aggressive, it tends to draw people who are more
>dedicated to learning an art than beating someone up.

*nod* That's the important thing.

>Cool thing about martial arts is that it doesn't really matter if
>you're a wimp, as long as you learn the techniques.

Yup -- in my class, there are women far smaller and less strong than I
who can easily take me on a big ride to the mat, as Cat put it. :)

>I'm dying to free up some time to do either Jiu-jitsu or Aikido,

Again, wise choice. I always knew rgcud was for the more discerning
Usenet surfer. ;)

>but it's not easy to do when you go to university and have a
>full-time job... :(

I manage it by having no other life. ;)

>>There's also the question of location; I live out where
>>nothing is....

[munch]

Ah. That doesn't help. Time to get that driving licence, or at least
coerce your parents into driving you places. :)

Samurai

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
[munch]

>I was waiting for you to suggest that.

Am I becoming so predictable? *G*

>I agree totally, btw. :)

Nice to know I'm not going out on a limb all alone. Of course, with
more than one of us here, it might break off more easily ... ;D

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:30:53 GMT,
the entity named Allan Olley (aol...@accglobal.nospam.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I think Shakespeare is appropriate here. The porter in Macbeth Act
>II, Scene III on drink "Lechry, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it
>provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance; therefore much
>drink may be said to be an equivicator with lechery; it makes him, and
>it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him,
>and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to; in
>conclusion, equivicates him in a sleep, and giving him the lie, leaves
>him."

-clip-

Was that copied off the book or did you memorize the whole thing? I didn't
bother to remember these lines since they're more of an off-side thing than
a major part of the play. The lines before this do quite summarize the
whole play tho.

-clip-

>IMO, this speech can have maximized for comic effect if while saying
>this the porter manipulates a set of key in his hands at certain
>points in this speech.

-clip-

Either that, or liberal use of hands and fists, with lots of salivating.

The literature paper is next week, btw. I have yet to re-read all three
books. But then 6 days of nothing but literature and math should be enough,
I hope... :)

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 15 Nov 1998 01:29:58 +0100,
the entity named Well-Dressed (well_d...@leavethisout.hotmail.com)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Ick. I was doing laundry at my parents' place and decided to browse rcgud
>quickly. Noticed it after I posted. It used to be 'deridder', but they
>apparently changed it. Didn't know they even knew how to do that...

-clip-

Everybody seems to think their parents are lousy at using 'puters... :)

-clip-

>Maybe something like Aikido. The first couple of years you cooperate with

>other students. And because it's not aggressive, it tends to draw people who
>are more dedicated to learning an art than beating someone up. Cool thing

>about martial arts is that it doesn't really matter if you're a wimp, as

>long as you learn the techniques. I'm dying to free up some time to do
>either Jiu-jitsu or Aikido, but it's not easy to do when you go to

>university and have a full-time job... :(

-clip-

Something non-Japanese doesn't hurt too... :)

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:42:56 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>>Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> came back to Earth with
>>this great rock n' roll band:
>
>*G* Where did _this_ one spring from, Cat?

-clip-

Should it not be came back to Britannia?

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:42:58 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Astute. :) Tae Kwon Do, IIRC -- 'the Way of Fists and Feet'.

-clip-

Tie means metal in Mandarin, btw, so "the Way of Metal and Fists" sounds
quite powerful too. :)

-clip-

>Apologies to anty Tae Kwon Do folks out there, but I'd actually

-clip-

Anty? Commenting on their size? *EG*

-clip-

>Ju-jitsu (my own art, so I'm biased :) , Aikido, Wing Chun and several
>more traditional styles of karate or gung fu would probably be closer
>to what you're looking for. But the best thing is to go along and ask
>the instructor if you can watch or try out a lesson to see for
>yourself.

-clip-

You could try some of those that teach meditation too. They'd help you sort
out your mind when you get all fustrated at times.

I'd also suggest perhaps some martial arts that teaches you to use your
"qi" (literally, breath) too. Having good "internal stength" can be said to
be related to your intellect, and so you can be quite a "master" without
needing to have bulging muscles everywhere. :)

I read a book by Bruce Lee on his own style, and it seems quite
interesting. It also requires some mental strength as opposed to
physical strength. For example, you never "counter" the opponent's
move. Instead, you flow with it, directing his attack away from you and
thus exposing his weak points to you.

This school seems quite popular in the US AFAIK, since Bruce Lee formulated
it while he was there, IIRC.

...Hopefully a Japanese vs. Chinese martial arts flame war doesn't suddenly
erupt... :)

Destrius

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:15:01 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Am I becoming so predictable? *G*

-clip-

You're a journalist. :)

-clip-

>Nice to know I'm not going out on a limb all alone. Of course, with
>more than one of us here, it might break off more easily ... ;D

-clip-

Well, what else can I say? *SNAP*

Samurai

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Quoth tik...@lv-nospam-di.net (Christopher A Tew):
>Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk (Samurai) came back to Earth with

>this great rock n' roll band:
>>Quoth tik...@lv-nospam-di.net (Christopher A Tew):
>>>Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m> came back to Earth with
>>>this great rock n' roll band:

>>*G* Where did _this_ one spring from, Cat?
>

>It's a sample from the beginning of "Rodent" by Skinny Puppy.

*looks up as that one goes sailing overhead*

Well, thanks for letting me know, anyway. <:)

>>Wise man. A very good choice, if you find the right club.
>
>Jiu Jitsu is actually my second choice. However, I don't think that
>there are any clubs in Vegas that teach Northern Dragon Shaolin
>Gung-Fu, a style that is particularly suited to me, from what I can
>tell from reading about it.

*nod* I know a little about Dragon Gung Fu, and yes, it does sound
like rather a good style. Based on avoidance, but striking with great
power when necessary, if I recall. And hey, we _are_ Dragons, even if
you're Formerly Known as one. :)

>No big loss...at least with Jiu Jitsu, I'll be hospitalized less. ;-)

So long as you pick a good club -- same advice goes to you as to
'Phid. Watch a session or two first.

But stylistically, yes, I'd agree. The occasional bruise or skinned
knuckle may result from Ju-jitsu, but some styles of Gung Fu are a
little more ... extreme in their physical conditioning.

I might give Dragon a try some time if I can find a place near me that
teaches it, but for the moment, one art is enough. ;)

Allan Olley

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
On 16 Nov 1998 05:15:41 GMT, u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius) wrote:

<Snip Shakespeare>

>Was that copied off the book or did you memorize the whole thing? I didn't

Copied, were you the one who was looking for it earlyer (several
months ago actually I think) or was it Singing?

Destrius

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:30:09 GMT,
the entity named Allan Olley (aol...@accglobal.nospam.net)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>Copied, were you the one who was looking for it earlyer (several
>months ago actually I think) or was it Singing?

-clip-

I don't remember looking for it. But maybe I did. I have bad memory. :)

psz

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote in article

<snip>

> Ju-jitsu (my own art, so I'm biased :) , Aikido, Wing Chun and several

<snap>

> --
> \^\^//
> ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon ~~ UDIC Code ~~
> | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e N T--Om+U146MA7'L8u-uC++
> \ `^--^ Founder \/ of SAPS uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
> \ \ \ (Remove fish to reply) nI++nPT+nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a22
> ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

C'mon Sammy... We ALL know that Ninjitsu's the only REAL MA...

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--
Phillip Zibilich \/
ps...@gnofn.org ps...@bellsouth.net
Plingiest Dragon and 4-2 on Othello on Weyrmount 2
* Holder of one (1) Money Dragon Flame Point *
"Time is a play thing. But when
it breaks, you're fucked." -- psz
--------------------------------------

Fortran Dragon

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
From the Void comes Bildo72 bearing this piece of Light...
[Snip]
> i had a few choice ones, but i thought them inappropriate

Heehee. Simply point out that it doesn't matter if you are
circumcized or not...

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==- | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
-=[MT]=- | to quench the light of one small candle."
Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/index.html>
rgcud FAQ: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/faq/rgcudfaq.html>

Singing Dragon

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Once upon a 17 Nov 1998 08:02:11 GMT, u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius)
wrote:

>...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:30:09 GMT,
> the entity named Allan Olley (aol...@accglobal.nospam.net)
> inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:
>
>-clip-
>>Copied, were you the one who was looking for it earlyer (several
>>months ago actually I think) or was it Singing?
>-clip-
>
>I don't remember looking for it. But maybe I did. I have bad memory. :)

I'm pretty sure it was me, so perhaps your memory is slightly better
than usual today.

-Singing Dragon Jon-o Addleman
-=|UDIC|=-

"Youth is wasted on the young, stereos are wasted on old people."

Samurai

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following words:

>>Astute. :) Tae Kwon Do, IIRC -- 'the Way of Fists and Feet'.
>

>Tie means metal in Mandarin, btw, so "the Way of Metal and Fists"
>sounds quite powerful too. :)

Cool. 'Twould be a more accurate description of Ju-jitsu, however ...
*G*

>-clip-
>>Apologies to anty Tae Kwon Do folks out there, but I'd actually
>-clip-
>
>Anty? Commenting on their size? *EG*

*THPBT!* ;P

[munch]

>You could try some of those that teach meditation too. They'd help
>you sort out your mind when you get all fustrated at times.

DOH! Yes, I forgot to mention Chi Gong and Tai Chi -- remiss of me.
Both would also be good places to meet folks, and as Destrius says,
could help you in some ways that other martial arts don't concentrate
on so much.

>I'd also suggest perhaps some martial arts that teaches you to use
>your "qi" (literally, breath) too. Having good "internal stength"
>can be said to be related to your intellect, and so you can be quite
>a "master" without needing to have bulging muscles everywhere. :)

Though in point of fact most experienced practicioner _are_ rather fit
and suppple ...

>I read a book by Bruce Lee on his own style,

This would be Jeen Kune Do, yes?

>and it seems quite interesting. It also requires some mental strength
>as opposed to physical strength. For example, you never "counter" the
>opponent's move. Instead, you flow with it, directing his attack away
>from you and thus exposing his weak points to you.
>
>This school seems quite popular in the US AFAIK, since Bruce Lee
>formulated it while he was there, IIRC.

Hmm. Jeet Kune Do is popular in large measure because people use
Lee's name to cash in. There _are proper JKD schools, but also a lot
of charlatans about, IMHO.

Most modern instructors of Bruce Lee's 'art' are telling only half the
story, since they'd lose students if they told the rest. A large part
of Jeet Kune Do is AFAIK in trying out a number of different arts to
gain experience of each.

Lee advised something to the effect of immersing oneself comepletely
in other arts, and then at the end of the period of immersion, taking
on board what works for you, and discarding what doesn't. That's one
of the reasons we see Lee using Japanese weapons a fair bit. He liked
the form the training took.

People who teach Jeet Kune Do as a martial art in and of itself may
have done that themselves, but they're then passing on what's good for
_them_ to their students, not necessarily what's good for the
students.

>...Hopefully a Japanese vs. Chinese martial arts flame war doesn't
>suddenly erupt... :)

Not from this little black dragon. All the 'my art is better than
your art' crap that abounds in rec.martial-arts forced me to
unsubscribe. People don't seem to realise that _every_ martial art
has something to offer. It's just a question of finding a style that
suits you, with a good teacher and a class that isn't too gung ho.

Here endeth the lesson. ;)

Samurai

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following words:

>>Am I becoming so predictable? *G*
>

>You're a journalist. :)

*G* Point.

>>Nice to know I'm not going out on a limb all alone. Of course, with
>>more than one of us here, it might break off more easily ... ;D
>-clip-
>
>Well, what else can I say? *SNAP*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

*looks at Destrius*

What now?

*pause*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH ...!

</irresistable Bill and Ted reference> ;)

Samurai

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Quoth Ophidian Dragon <"zacwbond"@hotmail.c()m>:
>Christopher A Tew wrote:

>> PROPOSAL FOR NEW NEWSGROUP:
>>
>> alt.fan.zacbond.vaseline.squick.squick.squick

*ROTFL!*

>Why use vaseline? Just more mess to clean up.

Depends what's making the "squick" noise. >:D

Destrius

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:47:14 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-
>*THPBT!* ;P
-clip-

*G*

-clip-

>DOH! Yes, I forgot to mention Chi Gong and Tai Chi -- remiss of me.
>Both would also be good places to meet folks, and as Destrius says,
>could help you in some ways that other martial arts don't concentrate
>on so much.

-clip-

One problem about Tai Chi here is that most people associate it with old
men and women moving their hands about slowly in the park. Those who read
*ahem* proper swordfighting novels know differently, of course. :)

-clip-

>Though in point of fact most experienced practicioner _are_ rather fit
>and suppple ...

-clip-

A neccessary side-effect. Muscles tend to develop when you can walk up a
wall or break a brick in two.

-clip-

>This would be Jeen Kune Do, yes?

-clip-

I think so. The book is now somewhere in the myraid of boxes in my
house, along with the rest of my stuff. We're moving in December.

-clip-

>Hmm. Jeet Kune Do is popular in large measure because people use
>Lee's name to cash in. There _are proper JKD schools, but also a lot
>of charlatans about, IMHO.

-clip-

Happens with almost everything that gets even a bit famous. It's almost as
if the only way you can retain respectibility for your art is to live atop a
mountain and only accept one visitor a year.

*thinks*

Hmmm. That seems to explain lots of things. :)

-clip-

>Most modern instructors of Bruce Lee's 'art' are telling only half the
>story, since they'd lose students if they told the rest. A large part
>of Jeet Kune Do is AFAIK in trying out a number of different arts to
>gain experience of each.

-clip-

Like Bruce Lee himself, IIRC. His original "house" was one of the more
traditional wushu houses. The name starts with Wind, I think. Then, of
course, he tried lots of other stuff.

Actually, most masters develop this way. They learn just about everything
they can find, get rid of the parts they do not need, and finally arrive at
a stage where all they've learnt has merged into a single style.

And if you're wondering how I know so much about great masters, well, you
learn a lot by reading fiction. :)

-clip-

>Not from this little black dragon. All the 'my art is better than
>your art' crap that abounds in rec.martial-arts forced me to
>unsubscribe. People don't seem to realise that _every_ martial art
>has something to offer. It's just a question of finding a style that
>suits you, with a good teacher and a class that isn't too gung ho.

-clip-

*nod* After all, everything is but one, and in the end, one is but none...

Destrius

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:14:29 GMT,
the entity named Singing Dragon (jad...@po-box.mcgill.ca)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I'm pretty sure it was me, so perhaps your memory is slightly better
>than usual today.

-clip-

Well, that's a relief. Especially since I'm halfway through bloody Macbeth
right now. I would quote something in context, but I can't recall anyone
saying anything about memory in the play. :)

Samurai

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Quoth Sned The Bold <aeh...@ucdavis.edu>:
>Bildo72 wrote:
[munch]

>> >Those of us who are uncircumcised have an advantage in this
>> >respect.
>>
>> this is a first... i dont have a response to a post.... im losing
>> my touch...
>
>I thought of a couple,

To 'Phid's post, or to Lowly's? *VBEG*

>but it just wouldn't be right.

No, you're probably right. :D

Samurai

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:

>Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote in article

>> Ju-jitsu (my own art, so I'm biased :) , Aikido, Wing Chun
[munch]

>C'mon Sammy... We ALL know that Ninjitsu's the only REAL MA...
>
>>:->

*GROWL*

cr...@interlog.com

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Hai! Samurai.
i mean hi....

Annoying Dragon

Samurai

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Quoth cr...@interlog.com:

>Samurai wrote:
>> Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
[munch]

>> >C'mon Sammy... We ALL know that Ninjitsu's the only REAL MA...

>> *GROWL*
>

>Hai! Samurai.
>i mean hi....

*chuckle* Hi, Annoying -- good to see you again! Clearly your
news-feed is on top form. I'd only just posted that.

Oh, and thanks for the greeting. I was interested to see the way you

psz

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98

Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote in article

<3653608b...@news.prestel.co.uk>...

Hmmm... You growled but didn't deny it... I guess you DO know that Ninjitsu
is the way to go >:->

P.S. Welcome back Annoying!

--
--------------------------------------
Darkling Dragon --==(UDIC)==-- --==(unSPLUT)==--
Phillip Zibilich \/
ps...@gnofn.org ps...@bellsouth.net

Plingiest Dragon and 6-2 on Othello on Weyrmount 2

Aidan Howe

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98

I hate people!!!! But the people I hate aren't my friends! therefore if
you hate someone they arent your friends! Ophidian find people who will like
yo for who you are and not for who they want you to be!!!! Never be afraid
to piss people off openly and you'll find like minded people will gravitate
to you!!! I learned the hard way an d have 2 true friends but i'ts all I
need.

A good cure for hate is the music of Marilyn Manson & Nine Inch Nails (did
me a load of good) saying this probably won't win me friends!!!

Zander Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Samurai

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
[munch]

>One problem about Tai Chi here is that most people associate it with
>old men and women moving their hands about slowly in the park. Those
>who read *ahem* proper swordfighting novels know differently, of
>course. :)

*G*

Very few clubs here in the UK actually emphasise its combative
elements, though. Shame.

>>Though in point of fact most experienced practicioner _are_ rather
>>fit and suppple ...
>

>A neccessary side-effect. Muscles tend to develop when you can walk
>up a wall or break a brick in two.

I must admit, I didn't know Chinese martial arts emphasised breaking
techniques, on bricks or otherwise.

>>This would be Jeen Kune Do, yes?
>

>I think so. The book is now somewhere in the myraid of boxes in my
>house, along with the rest of my stuff. We're moving in December.

Well, try to enjoy it. I rather like moving, provided it isn't too
often.

>>Hmm. Jeet Kune Do is popular in large measure because people use
>>Lee's name to cash in. There _are proper JKD schools, but also a
>>lot of charlatans about, IMHO.
>

>Happens with almost everything that gets even a bit famous.

Of course.

>It's almost as if the only way you can retain respectibility for
>your art is to live atop a mountain and only accept one visitor
>a year.

*G* It depends who you want respectability from. Winners of the
Ultimate Fighting Competition, or whatever it's called, get a lot of
kudos from some quarters, just not generally the ones _I'd_ want it
from.

>*thinks*
>
>Hmmm. That seems to explain lots of things. :)

Indeed.

>>Most modern instructors of Bruce Lee's 'art' are telling only half
>>the story, since they'd lose students if they told the rest. A
>>large part of Jeet Kune Do is AFAIK in trying out a number of
>>different arts to gain experience of each.
>

>Like Bruce Lee himself, IIRC.

Sort of makes sense, doesn't it? :)

>His original "house" was one of the more traditional wushu houses.
>The name starts with Wind, I think.

I think it was Wing Chun he learned initially, though I could be
wrong.

>Then, of course, he tried lots of other stuff.
>
>Actually, most masters develop this way. They learn just about
>everything they can find, get rid of the parts they do not need,
>and finally arrive at a stage where all they've learnt has merged
>into a single style.

Quite so. Though what makes a 'master' can be a bit difficult to
quantify.

>And if you're wondering how I know so much about great masters,
>well, you learn a lot by reading fiction. :)

If the books are well-researched, I'd agree.

>>Not from this little black dragon. All the 'my art is better than
>>your art' crap that abounds in rec.martial-arts forced me to
>>unsubscribe. People don't seem to realise that _every_ martial art
>>has something to offer. It's just a question of finding a style that
>>suits you, with a good teacher and a class that isn't too gung ho.
>

>*nod* After all, everything is but one, and in the end, one is but none...

And now that we've got cosmology out of the way ... ;)

Samurai

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
[munch]

>Hmmm... You growled but didn't deny it... I guess you DO
>know that Ninjitsu is the way to go >:->

Hardly -- the weapons are inferior, the art less graceful, and it's
illegal in this country anyway. :)

>P.S. Welcome back Annoying!

*nod* Sorry you dropped into the middle of a pitched battle. ;)

Polenth

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
In article <36589e0b...@news.prestel.co.uk>, Samurai <Samurai@dais
ho.prestelcod.co.uk> writes

>>Like Bruce Lee himself, IIRC.
>
>Sort of makes sense, doesn't it? :)
>
>>His original "house" was one of the more traditional wushu houses.
>>The name starts with Wind, I think.
>
>I think it was Wing Chun he learned initially, though I could be
>wrong.

Speaking as one considering taking that up, you're not wrong. The guy
doing the demonstration said it. He also asked me why I was interested
in learning. I did consider saying 'to smite my enemies!! Cower
mortals!!' but I decided appearing to be insane wasn't a good idea, so I
mutter vague things instead. They'll probably insist I don't smite my
enemies too. :)

--
Polenth

http://www.polenth.demon.co.uk/

psz

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote in article

<36589c65...@news.prestel.co.uk>...

There must be a REASON it's illegal... Like, for instance, everyone knows
that if it were taught, the OTHER forms would die out...

(One way or another...)

>:->

Destrius

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
...and it was written on the heavens that on Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:46:50 GMT,
the entity named Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk)
inscribed the following words in rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons:

-clip-

>I must admit, I didn't know Chinese martial arts emphasised breaking
>techniques, on bricks or otherwise.

-clip-

They don't. Those are side-effects, usually because kind Mr. Teacher likes
to fling hapless students at the wall when he/she is not working as hard as
kind Mr. Teacher would like him/her to. :)

-clip-

>Well, try to enjoy it. I rather like moving, provided it isn't too
>often.

-clip-

It shouldn't take too long, but the problem is my house isn't really fully
built yet. When we move in, the rooms upstaits won't be floored yet so all
of us have to squeeze downstairs. Some other details are still waiting to
be completed too. Fortunately, there's power, so I can still communicate
with the rest of the universe.

btw, this has nothing to do with the contractor we hired. He's _such_ a
nice fellow, especially when he's asleep.

-clip-

>I think it was Wing Chun he learned initially, though I could be
>wrong.

-clip-

I think that's it, if my memory serves me. One problem with my main source
of information is that its all about stuff the supposedly happened 1000
years ago, so it's not a good reflection of current affairs. :)

-clip-

>If the books are well-researched, I'd agree.

-clip-

I don't really know if they're well researched, but the author has been
writing these since around the 1960s (he's retired now), and so far nobody
has complained. All of his stories (at least, those I know of) are set in
historic China, and some of the characters actually existed, as did all the
various sects.

-clip-

>And now that we've got cosmology out of the way ... ;)

-clip-

We have?

Allan Olley

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:18:13 GMT, "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Hmmm... You growled but didn't deny it... I guess you DO know that Ninjitsu
>is the way to go >:->

Baah, I think we all know that the ultimate fighting art is Ninjitshoe
as practiced by American Maid, the world's most patroitic domestic.

Samurai

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:
>Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> wrote ...
>> Quoth "psz" <ps...@bellsouth.net>:

>> >Hmmm... You growled but didn't deny it... I guess you DO
>> >know that Ninjitsu is the way to go >:->
>>

>> Hardly -- the weapons are inferior, the art less graceful, and it's
>> illegal in this country anyway. :)

[munch]

>There must be a REASON it's illegal... Like, for instance, everyone
>knows that if it were taught, the OTHER forms would die out...
>
>(One way or another...) >:->

I've left replying to this for a bit, while I could ponder my reply,
and after suitable consideration, I have concluded the following best
expresses my opinions on the matter.

They're all good. I just like mine. So *SPLUT!*

Samurai

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Quoth u...@the.sig.addy (Destrius):
>Samurai (Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk) inscribed the following:

>>I must admit, I didn't know Chinese martial arts emphasised breaking
>>techniques, on bricks or otherwise.
>

>They don't.

*nod* Thought not.

>Those are side-effects, usually because kind Mr. Teacher likes to
>fling hapless students at the wall when he/she is not working as
>hard as kind Mr. Teacher would like him/her to. :)

Ah. Sounds like one of the more external styles to me. Preying
Mantis, anyone?

(I've heard about some of the things folks who do that art go through.
Yeesh.)

>>Well, try to enjoy it. I rather like moving, provided it isn't too
>>often.
>

>It shouldn't take too long, but the problem is my house isn't really
>fully built yet. When we move in, the rooms upstaits won't be floored
>yet so all of us have to squeeze downstairs.

It's been a few years since the extension to our house was built, but
I know the feeling!

>Some other details are still waiting to be completed too.
>Fortunately, there's power, so I can still communicate with
>the rest of the universe.

(Read: use iNet) :)

>btw, this has nothing to do with the contractor we hired. He's
>_such_ a nice fellow, especially when he's asleep.

Oh, one of those, eh? :P There a penalty clause in the contract, by
any chance? *EG*

>>I think it was Wing Chun he learned initially, though I could be
>>wrong.
>

>I think that's it, if my memory serves me. One problem with my main
>source of information is that its all about stuff the supposedly
>happened 1000 years ago, so it's not a good reflection of current
>affairs. :)

Umm, no, it wouldn't be.

>>If the books are well-researched, I'd agree.
>

>I don't really know if they're well researched, but the author has
>been writing these since around the 1960s (he's retired now), and
>so far nobody has complained.

I see -- keep going for long enough and folks will assume you're right
and everyone else is wrong. *grin*

>All of his stories (at least, those I know of) are set in historic
>China, and some of the characters actually existed, as did all the
>various sects.

*nod* The quasi-historic novel. There are a few of those I rather
like, since one can actually learn a bit about the setting (assuming
they _are_ researched properly) while not feeling it's like a history
lesson.

>>And now that we've got cosmology out of the way ... ;)
>

>We have?

I've forgotten why now, but probably. <:)

Samurai

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Quoth Polenth <pol...@polenth.demon.co.uk>:
>Samurai <Sam...@daisho.prestelcod.co.uk> writes
[munch]

>>I think it was Wing Chun he learned initially, though I could be
>>wrong.
>

>Speaking as one considering taking that up, you're not wrong.

This is good. I may not be any authority on the subject, but I like
to know at least _vaguely_ what I'm talking about. ;)

>The guy doing the demonstration said it. He also asked me why I
>was interested in learning. I did consider saying 'to smite my
>enemies!! Cower mortals!!' but I decided appearing to be insane
>wasn't a good idea,

Depends on the club. Really.

>so I mutter vague things instead. They'll probably insist I don't
>smite my enemies too. :)

Just make sure they try to smite you first, and then you can smite
them to your heart's content! Well, sort of, anyway. ;)