Blobbo

Diana Greenslade

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
Hi - anyone come across the shareware game "Blobbo"? I think it may
be for Mac only. Anyway - it's a great game, like nothing I've seen before!
Every level is different.

Unfortunately, we are stuck on 2 levels. If anyone has any
clue how to get past level 7 (with the remote control) please, please
mail me (or post here). The other level we are stuck on is very sokoban
-like, I can't remember what number level it is. We have cleared all the
sections except the one at the center bottom region. It seems to be
impossible, but maybe we are missing something obvious!!

I'd appreciate any input at all! I'd love to find out that they are bugs
and that there is a patch available somewhere.....

Thanks

Diana

Richard Spoonts

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
This game sounds like it might be fun. Does anyone know where to find it?
Thanks.

Richard

DAVID FORTNER

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
to dgre...@oce.orst.edu
diane, I like Blobbo too. Level 7 is quite tricky. The key is using
the lazer to blast open the door located in the middle of the upper
part. It's difficult to explain in words but here goes: so starting in
the lower right island, fool around and clear middle opening and then
get chests and get on the boat. Sail to lower left corner of the upper
right island and get chest and axe, cut down tree and then get on boat.
Then get OFF the boat and position mirrors while boat floats away (it
will come back). The left mirror should go where the tree was and the
right mirror should go where the left mirror was. Then get in between
the mirrors and wait one turn and then reboard the boat. Sail across
and get off a first available landing. Block the little death-thingy
with the block and the axe (block to the right and top). Now, pick up
the lazer and position yourself so that you can drop it, thus firing it,
at the lower mirror. The lazer beam shoots out, bounces off the two
mirrors and comes back and blasts the door open. This is probably where
you were stuck, so you might want to figure everything else out from
here--i.e. don't read anymore. So now go through the movable blocks and
get the chests and key. Note, this is the door that you shouldn't
unlock as there is 3 keys and 4 doors. Go to the middle room and get
the key and chest on your way out, keeping the balloon at bay so you can
exit. Now go to lower door and get chests and key. Now upper door and
I won't even try to write how to mavuver the hole-plug things but you
should be able to figure it out. Now exit--cool, huh.
Now for the other place you were stuck--level 17 I think. As far as I
can tell, this is impossible. I too have cleared all but that one part
and being that the moves are somewhat limited, it is relatively easy to
go through the possibilities and realize that none of them will work.
So I have put it to rest but should you find out otherwise, let me know.
well, I hope this was understandable
:)
dave fortner

Glenn Andreas

Jul 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/23/95
Richard Spoonts (spo...@husc7.harvard.edu) wrote:
: This game sounds like it might be fun. Does anyone know where to find it?
: Thanks.

ftp://ftp.skypoint.com/pub/members/gandreas/Blobbo1.01L.sit.hqx

There is also an FAQ, newly converted to html from my web page as well as
a screen shot of the last level, check out (though things are still under
construction...)

http://www.skypoint.com/members/gandreas/BlobboHome.html

Glenn Andreas

Christopher Schmidt

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95
gand...@skypoint.com (Glenn Andreas) wrote:
> ftp://ftp.skypoint.com/pub/members/gandreas/Blobbo1.01L.sit.hqx

Is this a DOS program? If so, what are we supposed to do
with a file name like that?

Christopher Schmidt
Tucson, Arizona, USA
sch...@ccit.arizona.edu

Michael Blaheta

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95
On Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:49:53 GMT, Christopher Schmidt (sch...@SkyBlu.CCIT.Arizona.EDU) said:
> gand...@skypoint.com (Glenn Andreas) wrote:
> > ftp://ftp.skypoint.com/pub/members/gandreas/Blobbo1.01L.sit.hqx
>
> Is this a DOS program? If so, what are we supposed to do
> with a file name like that?

Nope, sorry: it's for a Mac. You can tell, because Mac files often have
a "cpt" or "sit" and almost always have an "hqx".

> Christopher Schmidt
> Tucson, Arizona, USA
> sch...@ccit.arizona.edu

Don Blaheta
bla...@quincy.edu
mbla...@xnet.com

Geoff Bailey

Jul 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/25/95

In article <3urvdj$i...@news.ccit.arizona.edu>,
DAVID FORTNER <FOR...@BIOSCI.ARIZONA.EDU> wrote:

[ SNIP ]

>Now for the other place you were stuck--level 17 I think. As far as I
>can tell, this is impossible. I too have cleared all but that one part
>and being that the moves are somewhat limited, it is relatively easy to
>go through the possibilities and realize that none of them will work.
>So I have put it to rest but should you find out otherwise, let me know.
>well, I hope this was understandable

On my version (Blobbo Lite) none of the levels were impossible, although
some were very challenging. But the area mentioned (bottom centre) of
level 17 is easy. (That level is called 'Confined Spaces' on my version.
Are we thinking of the same game/level?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm) | Programmer by trade --
ft...@cs.su.oz.au | Gameplayer by vocation.

Michael Blaheta

Jul 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/26/95
On 19 Jul 1995 19:01:33 GMT, Diana Greenslade (dgre...@OCE.ORST.EDU) said:
> Hi - anyone come across the shareware game "Blobbo"? I think it may
> be for Mac only. Anyway - it's a great game, like nothing I've seen before!
> Every level is different.

I think it is wonderfully innovative, and plan to register it soon.

> Unfortunately, we are stuck on 2 levels. If anyone has any
> clue how to get past level 7 (with the remote control) please, please
> mail me (or post here). The other level we are stuck on is very sokoban
> -like, I can't remember what number level it is. We have cleared all the
> sections except the one at the center bottom region. It seems to be
> impossible, but maybe we are missing something obvious!!

I'm stuck on a level as well. The first is 12; I can get all the
chests but the exit is then blocked by an arrow. It seems that in
getting the lower rightmost chest, I must set off the arrows there (two
of them at least) which go right over to the exit. :(

> I'd appreciate any input at all! I'd love to find out that they are bugs
> and that there is a patch available somewhere.....

> Thanks

> Diana

Don Blaheta
bla...@quincy.edu
mbla...@xnet.com

Michael Blaheta

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
I wrote:
> I'm stuck on a level as well. The first is 12; I can get all the
> chests but the exit is then blocked by an arrow. It seems that in
> getting the lower rightmost chest, I must set off the arrows there (two
> of them at least) which go right over to the exit. :(

Nevermind, I figgered it out. Now I'm on 23 and trying to figure out
how to get the rock without being spiked to death or losing an important
item :(

Don Blaheta
bla...@quincy.edu
mbla...@xnet.com

Mike Snyder

Jul 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/28/95
In article <3v7g5u$3...@flood.xnet.com>, mbla...@flood.xnet.com (Michael
Blaheta) wrote:

> Now I'm on 23 and trying to figure out
> how to get the rock without being spiked to death or losing an important
> item :(
>
> Don Blaheta
> bla...@quincy.edu
> mbla...@xnet.com

You CAN trade an unneeded item to obtain the rock.
(I don't happen to remember which item at the moment.)
But, do you have a use for the rock?
I was able to finish the level without it.
It seems that setting up the mirrors and retrieving the rock is a fun, but
unnecssary exercise.
Mike

Michael Blaheta

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95
On 28 Jul 1995 16:02:40 GMT, Mike Snyder (MASn...@mmm.com) said:

> You CAN trade an unneeded item to obtain the rock.
> (I don't happen to remember which item at the moment.)
> But, do you have a use for the rock?
> I was able to finish the level without it.
> It seems that setting up the mirrors and retrieving the rock is a fun, but
> unnecssary exercise.

Hm. To get the chest in the middle section, I need the rock to block
the balloon; if I don't, the bowling ball falls down to block my exit
from the section. Actually, I could use any item there, but the rock is
the only one that seems to work, as I need a fire extinguisher to get
through the ice, and I can't get the one in the lower right. :(

> Mike

Don Blaheta
bla...@quincy.edu

Mike Snyder

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95

Refering to Level 22 of Blobbo

Spoiler Follows:

Take a fire extinguisher and place it above the balloon. Go up and trip
the bowling balls. Pick up the extinguisher as you go left. Push the ball
to the right 1 space. Go up then right and leave the extinguisher in the
right hall. Go get the chest and the key. Open the door, go down and out
through the one way door. Finally, go up and get the extinguisher.

Mike
--
The opinions expressed are NOT those of my employer, my mother-in-law, or my fish. They are mine (but you may share them if you wish).

Glenn Andreas

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
Mike Snyder (MASn...@mmm.com) wrote:

: Refering to Level 22 of Blobbo

: Spoiler Follows:

[ clever solution deleted ]
: Mike

You know, I just love it when somebody comes up with a completely different
solution for level from what I had originally intended. And the fun part is,
this isn't the only level where people have found solutions which ignore
my carefully laid out ideas. Well done!

Glenn Andreas

tbf...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 10:19:31 PM4/13/15
stuck on level 25 cant seem to figure out how to move the middle super spike

Jeff Russo

Feb 6, 2023, 11:10:46 PM2/6/23
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:19:31 PM UTC-5, tbf...@gmail.com wrote:
> stuck on level 25 cant seem to figure out how to move the middle super spike

I realize the likely futility of replying to an 8-year old post (which was itself a reply to a 28-year old post), but I'm going to do it anyway! If you (or anybody else) is still struggling with level 25, I figure you've suffered long enough and I'll share some hints that worked for me. This was a tough level. Also, I'd like to commend the creator of Blobbo, Glenn Andreas, for this absolute gem of a game! I can't fathom how some of these levels were created, they are remarkable. Note sure if he's still writing software, retired, or pushing up daisies, but well done sir!

Spoilers (Level 25):

First of all, figure out how to trip the large group of bowling balls so that only one of them falls down the ramp, that ball can then be pushed out of the way. (There's no reason to ever trigger the extending branch/vine.) You will need to acquire the "arrow turning" tool. The correct arrow to turn is just above the central spike room, closest to the vine. But don't use the tool right away because it's useful first as a droppable object to solve the room with 2 bowling balls. To solve the center spike room, first you need to manipulate it by traveling around the outside rooms to trigger the spike and get it to move from it's starting position. To collect the fire extinguisher, be sure you aren't carrying any objects when you enter the pipe, or you won't be able to pick up the extinguisher, you'll just bounce back out. When you have the fire extinguisher, you need to move a pipe segment to enter the center spike room. Good luck with the rest! If you can solve the level, you'll get to meet the Blobbo family.

Jeff