Newbie question:

xxyzz

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
While watching the quake done quicker, I was having an argument with
someone about Doom and Doom2. IIRC someone (or maybe quite a few
people) finished Doom on Nightmare skill dificulty. I also know that
many people have finished Doom2 on Ultra-Violence, but has anyone
finished it with the "respawn" command line to make it more like doom
nightmare? IIRC Doom2 had no nightmare skill level.

I have checked planetquake and found doom/doom2 done quicker and these
were done on Ultra-Violence. Is anyone trying to to a doom done quicker
on Nightmare or Doom2 with "respawn"?

Opulent

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

Howdy,

Try the Compet-N site for such demos.
http://ural2.hszk.bme.hu/~ha211/compet-n/
ftp://ftp.sch.bme.hu/pub/compet-n/

No one has done Doom2 with -respawn, but I believe all 4 episodes of
Doom have been done.
You will have to check for -fast demos.
doom2 -skill 4 -fast -respawn
is essentially nightmare(without the added items).

The 2 DDQ and D2DQ demos are special, 'linked' demos(not recorded in one
shot).
Be sure to get Panter's 30nm4949 demo.(the only Doom2 30-level nm demo)

later,
Opulent

ad...@nospam.scisoft.force9.co.uk

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:33:02 -0700, Opulent <opu...@goodnet.com>
wrote:

Whew...long time since I posted here :). Just a clarification on
Opulent's point: yes, there IS a Nightmare skill on Doom2, and yes,
the game HAS been completed in Nightmare, by Thomas "Panter" Pilger -
as indicated by Opulent. If you find a demo named 30nm6520, it was
actually cheated using slow-motion. For Doom1, E1, E2 and E3 were all
completed on NM a long time ago, but E4 has not yet been done, and is
the only major recording feat yet to be achieved.

S.NAPper

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <36c49894...@news.force9.net>
ad...@nospam.scisoft.force9.co.uk writes:

Hiya Adam,

>Whew...long time since I posted here :).

Ughh... even l-o-n-g-e-r since I posted anything of any substance 'round
'ere...

>Opulent <opu...@goodnet.com> wrote:

>>Anonymous wrote:
>>>
>>>While watching the quake done quicker, I was having an argument with
>>>someone about Doom and Doom2.

Make that 'discussion' and you're less likely to get hurt. ;-)

>>>IIRC someone (or maybe quite a few people) finished Doom on Nightmare
>>>skill dificulty.

Make that 'some people' or rather 'just a few people'. ;-|

>>>I also know that many people have finished Doom2 on Ultra-Violence,

Yus. Quite a lot of people. ;-)

>>>but has anyone finished it with the "respawn" command line to make it
>>>more like doom nightmare?

I think you'll find that it's the "-Fast" switch that causes the more
casualties than the "-Respawn". Using both "-Fast" and "-Respawn" is
similar to NightMare ( only with half the ammo. but at least you can,
using the cheats, 'train' for NightMare "-Record"-ings like that. ;-)
though only using one of these switches is not likely to prepare you
for yer NightMare...

>>>IIRC Doom2 had no nightmare skill level.

W:YD_N_RC "-Skill 5".

>>>I have checked planetquake and found doom/doom2 done quick and these
>>>were done on Ultra-Violence.

I believe that these were - at least - completed with some different
'DooM Engine' by splicing together many different fastest recordings
whether or not they will "-PlayDemo" with regular DooM and/or Doom2.

... And *that* makes recording in slow motion look like a very minor
rule infraction.

... And some people seem to think that using a mouse is unfair. ;-(

>>>Is anyone trying to to a doom done quick on Nightmare or Doom2 with
>>>"respawn"?

Why bother ? Why not just play the game yourself. :-)

C:\DOOM\DOOM29\> DOOM2 -SKILL 4 -WARP 01 -RESPAWN -MAXDEMO 2048 -RECORD

... with some filename but *WITHOUT* a file extension.

*NO* dots... We *HATE* dots - especially normal ones ! ;-)

>>Howdy,
>>
>>Try the Compet-N site for such demos.
>>
>>http://ural2.hszk.bme.hu/~ha211/compet-n/
>>ftp://ftp.sch.bme.hu/pub/compet-n/

Yus. It was hijacked a year plus ago... which I am none too unhappy
about. [ Re-read that carefully. ]

>>No one has done Doom2 with -respawn,

Well, I don't know of any recordings of this... It's doable, today.

>>but I believe all 4 episodes of Doom have been done.

I don't know of any recordings of this... It's doable, on -Respawn.

>>You will have to check for -fast demos.

There are *plenty* of those around... DHT 5/6 "Grand Master" style.

>>doom2 -skill 4 -fast -respawn
>>is essentially nightmare
>>(without the added items).

True. Good training for 'NightMare run recordings'... Though if you
are looking to see how to complete a single level, just get any one
of the currently existing recordings and mimic their methods. Level
13 is a particular favourite. (c:

>>The 2 DDQ and D2DQ demos are special, 'linked' demos (not recorded
>>in one shot).

Hmm...

>>Be sure to get Panter's 30nm4949 demo.

Yus.

>>(the only Doom2 30-level nm demo)

Not. See above. See below.

>Just a clarification on Opulent's point:

>yes, there IS a Nightmare skill on Doom2, and
>yes, the game HAS been completed in Nightmare, by Thomas "Panter" Pilger

>as indicated by Opulent.

Yes, and yes, watch it for yourself.

>If you find a demo named 30nm6520,

"When".

>it was actually cheated using slow-motion.

Probably. But IMNSHO it's still the better demo... It *LOOKS* better
to actually watch. Maybe Thomas' recording was made in real time and
almost certainly was made using a particularly fast PC, ( cheating ?
who's defining fair here ? ) maybe it wasn't, but it just *looks* so
scrappy.

Andreas 'Anthe' Kren's DHT 5 D2S exam. also looks tonnes better.

>For Doom1, E1, E2 and E3 were all completed on NM a long time ago,

Yes, Steffen Winterfeldt's DHT 5 D1S exam. ( which was also almost
certainly recorded in slow motion )... and only *then* some others.

>but E4 has not yet been done, and is the only major recording feat
>yet to be achieved.

How wrong you are, Adam ! ;-) It's right here on My hard drive. :-)

EPI4-NM1 LMP 170034 11/11/96 19:53

... but you were not to know. The fellow that made it admitted that
it was recorded at around half speed, and so I never released it.

Simply morphing,

S.;-) D{1|2}I

is E-nuf.

-- -
Stuff the B's - Show Me the Honey !

S.NAPper

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99

So where are all the comments, huh ?

S. ( wasting bandwidth here I know )

>Hiya Adam,

>Hmm...

>Yus.

>"When".

>Simply morphing,

>is E-nuf.

Brain the size of a planet and they make me park cars - M.E.