DEU is 20

21 views
Skip to first unread message

Andre Majorel

unread,
May 21, 2014, 7:59:52 AM5/21/14
to
At least the last stable release, DEU 5.21. Released 1994-05-21
according to README.1ST.

Last I heard, Rapha�l Quinet was involved with Gnome. Anybody
knows what Brendon Wyber is up to these days ?

--
Andr� Majorel http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
Endless variations make it all seem new
Can you recognise the patterns that you find ?

David Damerell

unread,
May 21, 2014, 12:45:56 PM5/21/14
to
Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>At least the last stable release, DEU 5.21. Released 1994-05-21
>according to README.1ST.

Happy birthday, DEU, even though I admit I switched from you to DETH some
years ago.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
And now, a seemingly inexplicable shot of a passing train.
Today is Stilday, May - a weekend.
Tomorrow will be Gorgonzoladay, May - a weekend.

Andre Majorel

unread,
May 24, 2014, 3:25:48 PM5/24/14
to
On 2014-05-21, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Happy birthday, DEU, even though I admit I switched from you
> to DETH some years ago.

Which is one of the many editors based on DEU 5.21. :-)

How do you run DETH ? Dosemu ? Dosbox ? Whatever general purpose
VME is cool this year ?

David Damerell

unread,
May 29, 2014, 10:07:58 AM5/29/14
to
Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>On 2014-05-21, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>Happy birthday, DEU, even though I admit I switched from you
>>to DETH some years ago.
>Which is one of the many editors based on DEU 5.21. :-)

Oh, I know.

>How do you run DETH ? Dosemu ? Dosbox ? Whatever general purpose
>VME is cool this year ?

It ran fine on XP, actually, but these days I've switched again to Doom
Builder... after a few years using another editor that begins with a Y.
:-)
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Olethros, June - a weekend.
Tomorrow will be Monday, June.

Andre Majorel

unread,
Jun 3, 2014, 5:41:05 AM6/3/14
to
On 2014-05-29, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>
>>How do you run DETH ? Dosemu ? Dosbox ? Whatever general purpose
>>VME is cool this year ?
>
> It ran fine on XP, actually,

Oh, I thought you were running just Linux.

> but these days I've switched again to Doom Builder... after a
> few years using another editor that begins with a Y. :-)

Must be a relief. :-> How is it ? Sector-based like DCK ?

David Damerell

unread,
Jun 3, 2014, 2:06:45 PM6/3/14
to
Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>On 2014-05-29, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>>>How do you run DETH ? Dosemu ? Dosbox ? Whatever general purpose
>>>VME is cool this year ?
>>It ran fine on XP, actually,
>Oh, I thought you were running just Linux.

It's come and gone. I prefer my editing tools to run on Linux because even
when I have a Windows machine for videogames, I can switch on the KVM to
my Linux box and poke around in a level to see how it's built.

>>but these days I've switched again to Doom Builder... after a
>>few years using another editor that begins with a Y. :-)
>Must be a relief. :-> How is it ? Sector-based like DCK ?

One can draw lines and vertices, but...

I prefer DEU-style "mouse points, mouse selects, keyboard does everything
else" editing, but Doom Builder's 3D preview mode makes such a compelling
argument. It gets texture alignment right, which means you can do texture
alignment without endless save->BSP->play cycles.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies
Today is Friday, June.
Tomorrow will be Saturday, June - a weekend.

Andre Majorel

unread,
Jun 5, 2014, 8:15:03 AM6/5/14
to
On 2014-06-03, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>
>> How is [Doom Builder] ? Sector-based like DCK ?
>
> One can draw lines and vertices, but...
>
> I prefer DEU-style "mouse points, mouse selects, keyboard does everything
> else" editing, but Doom Builder's 3D preview mode makes such a compelling
> argument. It gets texture alignment right, which means you can do texture
> alignment without endless save->BSP->play cycles.

Which reminds me that someone sent a patch to fix that... Funny
that texture alignment would be the sticking point for you, it's
relatively far down my list. Different editing styles, maybe.
But yes, a 3D preview is a very desirable feature.

Have you tried Andrew Apted's Eureka ? I'm pretty sure it has a
3D mode and it runs on Linux.

http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/

David Damerell

unread,
Jun 12, 2014, 11:56:40 AM6/12/14
to
Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>Which reminds me that someone sent a patch to fix that... Funny
>that texture alignment would be the sticking point for you, it's
>relatively far down my list.

It bothers me when I can't get it right, and while I can do the mental
arithmetic it's a lot easier to shuffle things around in a 3D view
sometimes.

>Have you tried Andrew Apted's Eureka ? I'm pretty sure it has a
>3D mode and it runs on Linux.
> http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/

Not yet, but next time I have a spate of Doom I will. (I had one at the
start of this year and submitted a small patch to prboom-plus).
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Gorgonzoladay, June - a weekend.
Tomorrow will be Second Gloucesterday, June.

Andre Majorel

unread,
Jun 15, 2014, 10:01:05 AM6/15/14
to
On 2014-06-12, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>>Which reminds me that someone sent a patch to fix that... Funny
>>that texture alignment would be the sticking point for you, it's
>>relatively far down my list.
>
> It bothers me when I can't get it right, and while I can do the mental
> arithmetic it's a lot easier to shuffle things around in a 3D view
> sometimes.

No doubt & you're not alone. Broken texture alignment has
probably been the most frequent complaint from Yadex users. Far
ahead of (in my eyes) bigger issues like the lack of undo or
level merging.

I suppose that the reason I care less than most about texture
alignment is my tendency to leave it to the final polishing
stage. And since I never release anything... :->
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages