32768 things

Andre Majorel

Aug 6, 2010, 4:04:18 PM8/6/10
Just wrote a program to generate a level with 32768 things for
my tests. If anybody wants it (or the wad) I'll put it online.

It's fun to feed it to BSP & PrBoom. The 50000-long linedefs are
not rendered at all and the projectiles go through the walls. <g>

"This album is very well mixed, so it is difficult to tell
what is what."

David Damerell

Aug 9, 2010, 11:52:01 AM8/9/10
Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>Just wrote a program to generate a level with 32768 things for
>my tests. If anybody wants it (or the wad) I'll put it online.
>It's fun to feed it to BSP & PrBoom. The 50000-long linedefs are
>not rendered at all and the projectiles go through the walls. <g>

I remember, way back in the day, DOOM.EXE having quite a low limit there,
such that occasionally you'd hit a level designed by a mad overdecorator
[1] where monsters and projectiles occasionally disappeared from vision.

[1] ... who can now do whatever they like - come back, original engine
limits, all is forgiven.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
If we aren't perfectly synchronised this corncob will explode!

RjY

Aug 9, 2010, 1:44:42 PM8/9/10
Andre Majorel posted:

>Just wrote a program to generate a level with 32768 things for
>my tests. If anybody wants it (or the wad) I'll put it online.

I would be interested to see the code. I've written ugly programs for
test map generation and would enjoy seeing how to do it better ;)

--
http://rjy.org.uk/

RjY

Aug 9, 2010, 2:14:04 PM8/9/10
David Damerell posted:

>I remember, way back in the day, DOOM.EXE having quite a low limit there,
>such that occasionally you'd hit a level designed by a mad overdecorator
>[1] where monsters and projectiles occasionally disappeared from vision.

64 sprites at once, I think it was.

>[1] ... who can now do whatever they like - come back, original engine
>limits, all is forgiven.

I veer between "never play anything made after the late 90s/early 00s
because it's bound to be crap" and "there are occasionally good things
made now but you have to stumble upon them".

--
http://rjy.org.uk/

Andre Majorel

Aug 10, 2010, 7:27:54 AM8/10/10

Or possibly worse. ;-)

http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/wadtort/

As a bonus, you get a 32768-vertex, 32768-linedef, 1-sector map.
To my surprise, it can be played. I thought the lack of free
vertices for the nodes would hurt more.

Andre Majorel

Aug 10, 2010, 7:32:01 AM8/10/10
On 2010-08-09, RjY <R...@sp.am> wrote:
> David Damerell posted:

>> come back, original engine limits, all is forgiven.
>
> I veer between "never play anything made after the late 90s/early 00s
> because it's bound to be crap" and "there are occasionally good things
> made now but you have to stumble upon them".

Do you have any examples of good and bad that work on PrBoom ?
I haven't been following very closely lately.

David Damerell

Aug 10, 2010, 12:12:14 PM8/10/10
Quoting RjY <rjyATusersDOTsourceforgeDOTnet>:
>David Damerell posted:
>>I remember, way back in the day, DOOM.EXE having quite a low limit there,
>>such that occasionally you'd hit a level designed by a mad overdecorator
>>[1] where monsters and projectiles occasionally disappeared from vision.
>64 sprites at once, I think it was.

128, says the Wiki, so you have to be really taking the mickey to get over
it.

>I veer between "never play anything made after the late 90s/early 00s
>because it's bound to be crap" and "there are occasionally good things
>made now but you have to stumble upon them".

The other difficulty besides linesoup (and I'm sorry, I know I've
complained about this before) is everything being done by people who have
played Doom solidly since '93 for the benefit of same, with lower
difficulty levels implemented shonkily at best. I'm sure I'm a worse
player than in '98 or so - why wouldn't I be when I dust the game off
every three months for nostalgia?
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Clown shoes. I hope that doesn't bother you.