Re: FPS map design 1993 vs 2010

Andre Majorel

Nov 16, 2010, 9:02:56 AM11/16/10
On 2010-11-15, Smola <super...@hr.inet> wrote:
> In article <YG7Eo.109004$gN7....@newsfe12.ams2>, R...@sp.am says...
>> Volfie999 posted:
>> >I actually was able to recognize that DOOM level just from the map....
>>
>> Indeed - if you're on alt.games.doom and you don't recognise this map,
>> I have to wonder what you are doing here.
>
> Well, I don't. I guess I have played Doom1 less than 100 times. :(
> Someone said it's e1m6?

The map of every E1 level is instantly recognisable to me. Less
from playing them than from the many hours spent IDSPISPOPDing
through them to analyse the style...

"The object of this year's expedition is to see if we can find
trace of last year's expedition."

"The object of this year's expedition is to see if we can find
trace of last year's expedition."

David Damerell

Nov 17, 2010, 1:50:47 PM11/17/10
Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>The map of every E1 level is instantly recognisable to me. Less
>from playing them than from the many hours spent IDSPISPOPDing
>through them to analyse the style...

Recognisable? I suspect you're too modest - I'd bet half of us here could
draw the outline of the E1-E3 maps from memory with all major pickups and
fights.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is First Wednesday, November.

Andre Majorel

Nov 18, 2010, 1:18:48 PM11/18/10
On 2010-11-17, David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Andre Majorel <che...@halliburton.com>:
>>The map of every E1 level is instantly recognisable to me. Less
>>from playing them than from the many hours spent IDSPISPOPDing
>>through them to analyse the style...
>
> Recognisable? I suspect you're too modest - I'd bet half of us
> here could draw the outline of the E1-E3 maps from memory with
> all major pickups and fights.

Oh wow. I couldn't. I never gave the game much thought, I'm in
it for the architecture.

Hence no mention of E2 and E3. :->