Windows Doom Editor?

10 views
Skip to first unread message

Nicole Massey

unread,
Apr 15, 2013, 12:24:33 PM4/15/13
to
I'm working on a project to set up a sound font of the doom sounds. To do
this I need to extract the sounds from a WAD file, but I can't use DOS
editors because I'm blind and I won't get any audio feedback from DOS
applications. Anyone have a good Windows based Doom editor that will allow
me to extract the sounds in an XP environment?


David Damerell

unread,
Apr 17, 2013, 1:50:54 PM4/17/13
to
No, I don't, but I infer from the fact that you're posting this that you
have a screen reader. Deutex (http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/deutex/) runs
on DOS and Linux and is a pure text-mode application. Is that any help?
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Sunday, April - a weekend.
Tomorrow will be Gloucesterday, April.

Nicole Massey

unread,
Apr 18, 2013, 9:06:25 AM4/18/13
to

"David Damerell" <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
news:IUg*-G...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
> Quoting Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com>:
>>I'm working on a project to set up a sound font of the doom sounds. To do
>>this I need to extract the sounds from a WAD file, but I can't use DOS
>>editors because I'm blind and I won't get any audio feedback from DOS
>>applications. Anyone have a good Windows based Doom editor that will allow
>>me to extract the sounds in an XP environment?
>
> No, I don't, but I infer from the fact that you're posting this that you
> have a screen reader. Deutex (http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/deutex/) runs
> on DOS and Linux and is a pure text-mode application. Is that any help?

I'll check into it. The problem is most DOS applications don't know whre to
send the audio.
The situation is simple -- I just need the sound FX from the WAD file for
Doom II to use in a sound font setup so someone running a Doom tabletop RPG
can add that element to their game, as it's one of Doom's great features
that you can hear the sound of things off in th distance before you run into
them. I've looked on he web for someone who's done this, but all I've bene
able to find is someone who recreated a lot of the sounds (but about 30
shourt of the full number) as higher fidelity sound files.


David Damerell

unread,
Apr 18, 2013, 9:55:02 AM4/18/13
to
Quoting Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com>:
>"David Damerell" <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>>Quoting Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com>:
>>>I'm working on a project to set up a sound font of the doom sounds. To do
>>>this I need to extract the sounds from a WAD file, but I can't use DOS
>>>editors because I'm blind and I won't get any audio feedback from DOS
>>>applications. Anyone have a good Windows based Doom editor that will allow
>>>me to extract the sounds in an XP environment?
>>No, I don't, but I infer from the fact that you're posting this that you
>>have a screen reader. Deutex (http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/deutex/) runs
>>on DOS and Linux and is a pure text-mode application. Is that any help?
>I'll check into it. The problem is most DOS applications don't know whre to
>send the audio.

Sure, but unless I misunderstand the problem, you could use deutex to
extract all the sounds, which is a single command. Then you could use
whatever tool you would normally use to pick through the resulting
directory of sound files to find the ones you want.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Gloucesterday, April.
Tomorrow will be Leicesterday, April.

Nicole Massey

unread,
Apr 18, 2013, 4:22:41 PM4/18/13
to

"David Damerell" <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
news:++v*n7...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
> Quoting Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com>:
>>"David Damerell" <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>>>Quoting Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com>:
>>>>I'm working on a project to set up a sound font of the doom sounds. To
>>>>do
>>>>this I need to extract the sounds from a WAD file, but I can't use DOS
>>>>editors because I'm blind and I won't get any audio feedback from DOS
>>>>applications. Anyone have a good Windows based Doom editor that will
>>>>allow
>>>>me to extract the sounds in an XP environment?
>>>No, I don't, but I infer from the fact that you're posting this that you
>>>have a screen reader. Deutex (http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/deutex/)
>>>runs
>>>on DOS and Linux and is a pure text-mode application. Is that any help?
>>I'll check into it. The problem is most DOS applications don't know whre
>>to
>>send the audio.
>
> Sure, but unless I misunderstand the problem, you could use deutex to
> extract all the sounds, which is a single command. Then you could use
> whatever tool you would normally use to pick through the resulting
> directory of sound files to find the ones you want.

Okay. And it supports Heretic, too, though it doesn't seem to allow me to
extract the Heretic MIDI files. Pity. I'll give it a try and let you know if
I run into problems.


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages