NIC2CB ...

notes.tssi.com!tower.tssi.com!h...@tssi.com

Jan 31, 1994, 1:23:13 PM1/31/94

How to use ch_tools

ch_tools is made by Carsten Hansen (ch0...@hdc.hha.dk). You are allowed to
reuse the sourcecode in your own tools, but please mention my name somewhere
in your program. If you want to improve somethink in ch_tools, please
inform my, and I will do the changes. If you already have programmed some
good changes in ch_tools, you might upload ch_tools, but please inform me
about it, and specify your changes in details!!!!!

The files are placed at chess.uoknor.edu in the Game-Databases directories.

The file ch_tools.arj includes all ch_tools including source code. Moreover,
there are some *.exe files in the directories. You shall use arj230ng when
you uncompress ch_tools. It is not possible to use the UNARJ.exe program.

The following tools are included in ch_tools:

CBAPPEND
========

CBAPPEND makes it possible to append more ChessBase gamefiles to each other.
The syntax is the following:

CBAPPEND without parameters ==> you will be prompted for parameters

CBAPPEND source-wildcard target-filename

Example: CBAPPEND c:\fritz\nl* all-nl

CBAPPEND now prompts you for all ChessBase files in the c:\fritz directory
starting with nl. At prompting, you are supposed to type 'Y' or 'N' followed
by RETURN. At last, there is created a new file called all-nl. If all-nl
already existed the new gamefiles are appended to all-nl.

NAPPEND
=======

NAPPEND works the very same way as CBAPPEND for NicBase gamefiles

NRECOV
======

NRECOV source-filename target-filename

NRECOV extracts all deleted games from the source file, and puts them in the
target file.

CBUNCODE
========

CBUNCODE source-filename target-filename

You are only supposed to use CBUNCODE, when it is impossible for you to
convert ChessBase gamefiles such as pca.cb* and gm.cb* to NicBase by means
of the, by NicBase, copyrighted product NicTools.

CONVERT UTILITIES
=================

NIC2PGN
=======

NIC2PGN source-filename target-filename

Example: NIC2PGN source-filename

You are going to get the output on the screen

Example: NIC2PGN source-filename prn

You are going to get the output on the printer

Example: NIC2PGN source-filename target-filename

You are going to make a new target file in PGN-format.

PGN (Portable Game Notation) is a standard used for games in ASCII-text. The
games will only be printed in long notation. I hope the output from the
program is consistent with the PGN-standard. If that is not the case, please
mail me!!

You should be aware of the fact that NIC2PGN is omitting the following games:
- deleted, and overwritten games
- quizes
- game fragments (games starting with a position)

You are losing all comments and variations, but you are still going to get
all the moves in the game.

CB2PGN
======

Works the very same way as NIC2PGN

You should be aware of the fact that CB2PGN is omitting the following games:
- deleted, and overwritten games
- game fragments (games starting with a position

NIC2CB
======

NIC2CB source-filename target-filename

You should be aware of the fact that NIC2CB is omitting the following games:
- deleted, and overwritten games
- quizes
- game fragments (games starting with a position)

You are losing all comments and variations, but you are still going to get
all the moves in the game.

CB2NIC
======

CB2NIC source-filename target-filename

The same games are omitted as in CB2PGN.

PGN2NIC, PGN2CB

PGN2NIC source-filename target-filename

PGN2CB source-filename target-filename

Convert from PGN to NicBase and ChessBase

ChessBase and NicBase formats

See the file formats.doc for a short describtion. The file is included in
ch_tools.arj

Carsten Hansen, Denmark (ch0...@hdc.hha.dk)