Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess

Anthony T. Boynes

Mar 5, 1995, 3:03:42 PM3/5/95
I just saw the Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess program yesterday and was wondering
if anyone out there has played against it yet. What is the strength of the
program? Are its chess lessons suitable for a 1300 player like myself? I
already have CM300 and CM400 but am curious about BFTC.

Bookup

Mar 9, 1995, 10:06:16 AM3/9/95
In article <atboynes....@ionet.net>,

I wrote the _Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess_ CD ROM program so I
know a little bit about it. ;)

The strength of the program has never been seriously tested.
We took a program by Richard Lang of Chess Genius fame and
very carefully worked hard to make it *weaker*.

By starting with such a strong program we were able to
create what we think is the most realistic "weak" play
of any program. This is important to players at your
skill level (approx. 1300 USCF) because most programs
go from idiots to totally accurate play with no
middle ground. You need that middle ground to improve.
BFTC has ten very carefully crafted "beginner levels."

The lessons themselves range from just below your
level to slightly above.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"

Joseph F. Ford

Mar 9, 1995, 2:11:21 PM3/9/95

: Anthony T. Boynes <atbo...@ionet.net> wrote:
: >I just saw the Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess program yesterday and was wondering

: I wrote the _Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess_ CD ROM program so I

: know a little bit about it. ;)

I tried the demo. That playing board is awesome. It has the features
of graphical board with the realism of a physical board. I've come to belive
that a large amount of studying on 2-dimensional graphical boards can make
you rusty on OTB play. Would you consider placing that board on the front-end
of Bookup itself?

DrTDallas

Mar 11, 1995, 12:34:26 AM3/11/95

Mike,

I saw your post in the chess section. I have not seen your product
advertised for the MAC. Is it available for us "real" computer users?
<grinning> My daughter is just learning the game, has a facility for it,
and only has Chessmaster to use with the computer.

Thanks in advance for any reply, and congratulations on what sounds like a
terrific product.

A long-time Fischer fan,

JMT
DrTD...@aol.com
John M. Talmadge, M.D.
Dallas, Texas
"Parturient Montes, Nascetur Ridiculosus Mus!"

John R Coffey

Mar 11, 1995, 7:48:32 PM3/11/95
If this is about the CD ROM:
Entertainment weekly gave it a pretty bad review.

pete...@clark.net

Mar 12, 1995, 5:09:19 PM3/12/95
John R Coffey (jrco...@xmission.xmission.com) wrote:
: If this is about the CD ROM:
: Entertainment weekly gave it a pretty bad review.

OH MY GOD! The kiss of death from the noteable and highly respected
Entertainment Weekly!

But seriously, as a 1300+ player who purchased this program, I think its
a great deal. Its got the lessons from the Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess
Lessons. An opponent program. And 500 some games. Decet graphics too.
Its not as entertaining as, say, Battlechess 4000 or MYST for that
matter, but who cares?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
snailmail: Pete Shaw, 3024 Fairmont St, Falls Church, VA 22042 22205
vox:703-534-9170 email:pete...@clark.net
the lighter the bean, the more the caffeine! - coffee trueism

Chuck Schulien

Mar 12, 1995, 8:00:25 PM3/12/95
In article <3jtgd0$a...@xmission.xmission.com>,

John R Coffey <jrco...@xmission.xmission.com> wrote:
>If this is about the CD ROM:
>Entertainment weekly gave it a pretty bad review.

Yes they did, but it is the only bad review I've seen! Moreover, did you
read this review? The author is is rather out of touch with reality. He
wanted video of Fischer teaching. Quite frankly, this would not add to
the instructive (chess) value, based on what I've seen of Bobby.

The lessons are exactly those in the all time best selling book. The
playing program has what all users whom I have spoken with consider to be
the most realistic beginner levels available. A reviewer who doesn't want
to learn or play chess may not be impressed, but those interested in the
game at the novice level are getting a good program.

Regards,

Chuck

Bookup

Mar 13, 1995, 6:34:33 AM3/13/95
In article <3jnjsp$8...@mailer.fsu.edu>,

Yes!!! However, not all of our users have SVGA equipment.

Look for these 3D pieces in our upcoming Windows version of BOOKUP.

Bookup

Mar 13, 1995, 6:36:03 AM3/13/95
In article <3jrcp2$s...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

We are currently working on _Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess_ for
Macintosh. I'll definitely let the net know when we're done
(or at least when we need some testers).

Bookup

Mar 13, 1995, 6:38:05 AM3/13/95
In article <3jtgd0$a...@xmission.xmission.com>,
John R Coffey <jrco...@xmission.xmission.com> wrote:
>If this is about the CD ROM:
>Entertainment weekly gave it a pretty bad review.

Yeah, the reviewer even said the "puzzles" were way
too hard! Can you believe it?

For a better review, check out this month's issue
of _ComputerLife_. It was written by someone with
a clue.

Sean Robert Johnson

Mar 12, 1995, 4:08:26 PM3/12/95
John R Coffey (jrco...@xmission.xmission.com) wrote:
: If this is about the CD ROM:
: Entertainment weekly gave it a pretty bad review.

Entertainment Weekly knows quite a bit about chess programs.

Central Library

Mar 13, 1995, 7:48:12 PM3/13/95
Bookup (boo...@bronze.coil.com) wrote:
: In article <3jtgd0$a...@xmission.xmission.com>,

I tracked down the Entertainment Weekly review by a
HnGarold Goldberg, p. 59., Feb 3, 1995 issue. His letter
grade: F . (ouch!) He found the lessons to be "dogmatic"
and ended the review with: "Ultimately, this will not teach
you chess as much as it will indelibly stamp your synapses
with the words CAVEAT EMPTOR."

Chess fans recognize BFTC as the title of the old book,
but for those new to chess such a title might cause one
to expect the multi-media software to offer video and
sound of Fischer which isn't the case (other than a
few mentioned black-and-white pics of Fischer.) Also,
reviewers are used to animated graphics of BattleChess 4000,
etc. and probably weren't ready for BFTC! The "F" letter
grade is absurd, but the multi-media expectations may have
some bases.

*** This is a public access account provided by the Central branch ***
*** of the Contra Costa County Library. Literally anyone can be ***
*** using it to send this message. Their views are their own, and ***
*** do not reflect those of the Contra Costa County Library. ***

ISRAEL SILVERMAN

Mar 14, 1995, 3:38:00 PM3/14/95

BB> The strength of the program has never been seriously tested. We took
BB> a program by Richard Lang of Chess Genius fame and very carefully
BB> worked hard to make it *weaker*.

BB> By starting with such a strong program we were able to create what
BB> we think is the most realistic "weak" play of any program. This is
BB> important to players at your

Why make it weaker?

Why not just make the response time faster?

Why would I want to wait 1 minute for a program to move when
I know that the program could have accomplished the same strength
move by thinking for 10 seconds, had it been left weak?

Israel.S...@moondog.com

---
* RM 1.3 02344 * We're Straight, we're fed up, now YOU deal with it

Bookup

Mar 20, 1995, 10:03:27 AM3/20/95
In article <3jvnsa$4...@hptemp1.cc.umr.edu>,

Yep. ;]

I expected the _ComputerLife_ reviewer to be as underwhelmed
as the guy from _Entertainment Weekly_.

But they gave it an *awesome* review!

You can tell that the _Entertainment Weekly_ writer was
simply not interested in learning to play chess.

Bookup

Mar 28, 1995, 4:32:53 PM3/28/95
In article <8A573AA.04CB...@moondog.com>,

ISRAEL SILVERMAN <israel.s...@moondog.com> wrote:

>BB> The strength of the program has never been seriously tested. We took
>BB> a program by Richard Lang of Chess Genius fame and very carefully
>BB> worked hard to make it *weaker*.
>
>BB> By starting with such a strong program we were able to create what
>BB> we think is the most realistic "weak" play of any program. This is
>BB> important to players at your
>

> Why make it weaker?
>
> Why not just make the response time faster?
>
> Why would I want to wait 1 minute for a program to move when
> I know that the program could have accomplished the same strength
> move by thinking for 10 seconds, had it been left weak?
>

>Israel.S...@moondog.com

NO, no, no. We certainly don't have the program dilly around
for a minute feigning analysis!

The program, responding at less than one second per move, is
still way too strong for beginners. So we have it think only
a fraction of a second -- and pause for a minimum of one
second before replying so as not to intimidate the rank
beginner who just made a move.

Even at beginner level 10 the program still thinks for less
than one second but pauses for the full second.

You'd have to watch a few absolute beginners use it before
you'd appreciate the effect.